Why are folks flying from most western countries restricted to one

AYJAYDEE

eva, korean , jal ,cathay, china , thai, singapore all advertise 2 at 23 kg for economy

So are you saying these same airlines offer different baggage allowances when flying from England? If that is true then your question would better be asked as "Why do some airlines have different baggage allowances for different routes?" That is a completely different question.

eva, korean , jal ,cathay, china , thai, singapore all advertise 2 at 23 kg for economy

So are you saying these same airlines offer different baggage allowances when flying from England? If that is true then your question would better be asked as "Why do some airlines have different baggage allowances for different routes?" That is a completely different question.

so answer any one u like

so answer any one u like

I believe I and several others have answered what appeared to be your original question but you were not satisfied with the fact that your original premise was incorrect.

I was merely asking a question to clarify what exactly you want to know as I possibly misunderstood. Since you have not answered my question and I have no idea if it is true that the airlines you mentioned have different baggage allowance from England than from North America, I won't speculate on a reason for that.

so answer any one u like

I believe I and several others have answered what appeared to be your original question but you were not satisfied with the fact that your original premise was incorrect.

I was merely asking a question to clarify what exactly you want to know as I possibly misunderstood. Since you have not answered my question and I have no idea if it is true that the airlines you mentioned have different baggage allowance from England than from North America, I won't speculate on a reason for that.

ok

AYJayDee (great handle btw) wrote:

<<eva, korean , jal ,cathay, china , thai, singapore all advertise 2 at 23 kg for economy>>

True enough, I would add ANA (All Nippon Airlines) to your list. I'm sure there are others.

American carriers like American, United and others strictly enforce the 1 bag allowance. United has halted its free booze on international flights! Sad, yet true. Sorry, I am not about to fork over $8 USD for a glass of red wine.

There is an easy workaround...snare a United flight to the coast, then a foreign carrier for the long hauls to the Promised Land.

Free booze on board, why not? United is going overboard, cheapening their in flight service while their executives cut themselves big bonus checks. United swallowing Continental was not a bright move. That is another topic.

Here are two nuggets to keep in mind: USA is huge and not everyone lives on the coast, or at a portal to international destinations. About 20% of Americans have passports. I know, very weird. When I book my flight with United in USA, I receive about 6 warnings, calls and emails to ascertain I have a legit passport and visa for Thailand. Just getting to the coast involves pricey flights. You might fly the long routes on a different carrier that allows a 2 bag policy, but since you have booked through United, you are hosed at the small regional airport where your journey originated.

Go to www.chase.com and check out their Mileage Plus Program partnered with United. Essentially, you get 50k airmiles and 2 club cards. They waive the $95 annual credit card fee and you must spend $3k USD within 2-3 months. By using your card, you compile lotsa airmiles. True enough, this might be for everyone. The United Clubs for any layovers are worth the price of admission...great places to hang your hat between flight legs.

Australia and Europe are shortie flights compared with Yanks flying over the Great Ponds. From my door, once I jump in a friends car with my kit to my hotel outside of Bangkok, I am moving for 44 hours! My last flight was 53 hours because of a delayed flight. Actual flying time is 27-32 hours. All are polar routes, just a question of agony. Kon Tai do not believe.

BTW, a bicycle boxed up and shipped domestically within USA is $100 USD. Same bicycle is $200 for international destinations. Best decision I ever made was to cough up $200 to United to ship over my bicycle that I had boxed up. I pedal my "pushy bike" all the time in the Kingdom.

Tip of the cap to the OP for bringing out many nuggets of info....

AYJayDee (great handle btw) wrote:

<<eva, korean , jal ,cathay, china , thai, singapore all advertise 2 at 23 kg for economy>>

True enough, I would add ANA (All Nippon Airlines) to your list. I'm sure there are others.

American carriers like American, United and others strictly enforce the 1 bag allowance. United has halted its free booze on international flights! Sad, yet true. Sorry, I am not about to fork over $8 USD for a glass of red wine.

There is an easy workaround...snare a United flight to the coast, then a foreign carrier for the long hauls to the Promised Land.

Free booze on board, why not? United is going overboard, cheapening their in flight service while their executives cut themselves big bonus checks. United swallowing Continental was not a bright move. That is another topic.

Here are two nuggets to keep in mind: USA is huge and not everyone lives on the coast, or at a portal to international destinations. About 20% of Americans have passports. I know, very weird. When I book my flight with United in USA, I receive about 6 warnings, calls and emails to ascertain I have a legit passport and visa for Thailand. Just getting to the coast involves pricey flights. You might fly the long routes on a different carrier that allows a 2 bag policy, but since you have booked through United, you are hosed at the small regional airport where your journey originated.

Go to www.chase.com and check out their Mileage Plus Program partnered with United. Essentially, you get 50k airmiles and 2 club cards. They waive the $95 annual credit card fee and you must spend $3k USD within 2-3 months. By using your card, you compile lotsa airmiles. True enough, this might be for everyone. The United Clubs for any layovers are worth the price of admission...great places to hang your hat between flight legs.

Another option to get one of the preferred carriers is to look for code share flights. For instance, I am booked on united for my upcoming flight from Chicago to Bangkok but I was able to find United flights that are operated by ANA (my favorite) for only $995. With a little work I was able to find and book the entire trip on the far better serviced ANA flights. I still have the united baggage limits but I will be enjoying the comforts of ANA for the United price and accumulating United miles.

As for the United's Miles program, they pretty much gutted it as of January so finding United flights won't be very important to me in the future.

Maybe because 90% of passengers are obese.

And therein lies a whole can of worms. A couple of years ago, my daughter visited me here in Greece, and I took her to the airport for her return (Easyjet) flight. She was 5kg over the weight limit, and they were demanding something like €60 excess baggage. I pointed out to the check-in girl that my daughter weighed not much more than 50kg, and that the chap currently checking in at the next desk had to weigh a minimum 95kg plus his luggage. They were unmoved, and my daughter had to leave a 5 litre box of wine she'd bought as a gift for someone, otherwise it would have made it a very expensive box of cheap wine!

There is a fundamental injustice in situations like that, as the whole issue of luggage limits is down to the fact that more weight = more fuel, which is the justification given for excess baggage charges.

There is an airline in Samoa that now charges tickets by overall weight, person + baggage (mainly because most Samoans tend to be very overweight, I believe), and I think that it would be much fairer if all airlines adopted some sort of structure which took into account the overall weight of passenger and baggage. I've never been charged for excess baggage myself, but I know I would be very brassed off if an airline did charge me, since both my wife and I combined weigh less than some people I see boarding.