Why are folks flying from most western countries restricted to one

AYJAYDEE

America measures it by quantity of bags with weight limitations on each bag (usually 50 or 70lb), other nations do it by total weight (usually 20-70kg).

all the guys ive talked to said they could only take 30 kg max

Edited by AYJAYDEE

America measures it by quantity of bags with weight limitations on each bag (usually 50 or 70lb), other nations do it by total weight (usually 20-70kg).

It depends on the airline, class of travel and frequent flyer status. Some airlines don't offer any checked baggage with their cheapest fares, I get 46kg with Qantas economy which is equivalent to what you'd get to/from Nth America (100lb).

It depends on the airline, class of travel and frequent flyer status. Some airlines don't offer any checked baggage with their cheapest fares, I get 46kg with Qantas economy which is equivalent to what you'd get to/from Nth America (100lb).

i'm talking economy class thru a consolidator with no frequent flyer points, in other words base rate.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/checked-baggage/global/en#international-flights-excluding-north-and-south-america

Edited by AYJAYDEE

I have noticed the same, just got back from a short holliday (and business) in the Netherlands. We had serious problems with the weight. But they let us go on eva anyway. 43 kg for 2 suitcases and hand luggage (that hey did not really weigh but put on the scales) of 10 kg each. Had a load of cheese with me and other stuff i normally buy in my home country.

People traveling from the US just can take more.. but maybe its included in their ticket prices, also if you don't fly cheap like I did and pay for first class you can take more.

I have noticed the same, just got back from a short holliday (and business) in the Netherlands. We had serious problems with the weight. But they let us go on eva anyway. 43 kg for 2 suitcases and hand luggage (that hey did not really weigh but put on the scales) of 10 kg each. Had a load of cheese with me and other stuff i normally buy in my home country.

People traveling from the US just can take more.. but maybe its included in their ticket prices, also if you don't fly cheap like I did and pay for first class you can take more.

prices from north america are very cheap. JAL from vancouver 18 flying hours going west 16 hours return, $ 1040 ( 580 gbp) return all in

prices from north america are very cheap. JAL from vancouver 18 flying hours going west 16 hours return, $ 1040 ( 580 gbp) return all in

You obviously know better (no sarcasm here) as I never checked those prices. I knew about the differences in weight for a long time and just assumed it was price related. Anyway I got all my stuff home to Thailand and am a happy bugger biggrin.png. Good thing the Thai customs probably don't tax cheese. Must have had 4 kgs with me at least.

• Like 2

I think US is 23kg per piece of luggage but you can check in two pieces. Flying from UK its often 20 to 23kg total. Almost impossible to do shoppong with those limits if you are travelling cattle without FF points

I think US is 23kg per piece of luggage but you can check in two pieces. Flying from UK its often 20 to 23kg total. Almost impossible to do shoppong with those limits if you are travelling cattle without FF points

not to asia. two bags at 23 kg each

FWIIW, US weight limit is 23 Kg max and only a few companies flying out of the US allow 2. EVA and Korean( wife just did all this research about a week ago). Delta, United, China Air all have a limit of one unless you want to spend $100 for an extra bag up to 23Kg's. However if you are a silver medallion Member on Delta you can take 2.

It depends who you're flying with, hence the pinned-thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/572662-baggage-allowances-over-20-kgs/page-1

A separate thread on hand-luggage, what's allowed & how to smuggle-on a bit extra, might be interesting too, but this can be highly-variable IME, depending on the check-in staff, and whether-or-not the airline is having a crack-down !

I find keeping a bag of clothes/toiletries in the UK, hence making more of my hold-allowance available for carrying shopping to/fro, also helps.

Then there's the solid/robust/heavy vs soft/flimsy/lightweight bag issue, those big stripy-bags are excellent, to load boxes of cereals & T-bags, but only last one or two trips, before they fall apart !

• Like 1

Do you guys put the kitchen sink in your bags?

7kg carry on is enough for me

I, on the other hand, miss the good old days when I had gold status and could fly across the pond with 3 check-ins at 70 Lb each. Didn't use that perk often, but it sure was handy.

I was gobsmacked when I flew China to BKK the first time and the excess baggage fee for the piddly 8 kg over my 20 kg limit was almost $200 USD. Ouch.

I fly Etihad as my first choice, 30kg flying in cattle which is a good allowance, with a further 15kg excess as a Gold Member . When. I flew back from the U S last month though I had to split my luggage as 23kg per bag and I had 25kg in one piece.

• Like 1

not to asia

FWIIW, US weight limit is 23 Kg max and only a few companies flying out of the US allow 2. EVA and Korean( wife just did all this research about a week ago). Delta, United, China Air all have a limit of one unless you want to spend $100 for an extra bag up to 23Kg's. However if you are a silver medallion Member on Delta you can take 2.

not to asia

not to asia

not to asia

I'm not certain I understand what you mean AyJaydee. US to Asia or UK to Asia

not to asia

not to asia

I'm not certain I understand what you mean AyJaydee. US to Asia or UK to Asia

as the top post mentions, north americans flying to asia can take 2 bags x 23 kg =46 kg checked bags with a base economy fare (no gold , vip or points). eoropeans and aussies do not seem to have the same privilege and i was wondering why.

^ Got it. As I posted, most airline companies flying from the states are limited to 1 as well unless you want to cough up $100

and as I posted, they allow two at 23 kg each if they are flying to asia.

I can confirm that at least on United it is only one bag allowance to asia. It was changed from two a couple years ago. This is only airline policy so will vary by airline. For instance, I believe All Nippon Airways is still 2 bags allowed to asia.

I also just double checked for my upcoming United flight and it is still one bag free second bag $100.

^ Got it. As I posted, most airline companies flying from the states are limited to 1 as well unless you want to cough up $100

and as I posted, they allow two at 23 kg each if they are flying to asia.

I can confirm that at least on United it is only one bag allowance to asia. It was changed from two a couple years ago. This is only airline policy so will vary by airline. For instance, I believe All Nippon Airways is still 2 bags allowed to asia.

I also just double checked for my upcoming United flight and it is still one bag free second bag $100.

Same on delta...one free. Second $100 usd.

AyJaydee /OP

JAFO is correctomundo with his post:

<<FWIIW, US weight limit is 23 Kg max and only a few companies flying out of the US allow 2. EVA and Korean( wife just did all this research about a week ago). Delta, United, China Air all have a limit of one unless you want to spend $100 for an extra bag up to 23Kg's. However if you are a silver medallion Member on Delta you can take 2.>>

Here is where the discrepancy lies: The airlines USED to allow two 23kg check in luggage parcels, those days ended two years ago. The airline's terminology is misleading at their websites, but I and others will vouch for the fact that if you try and check in a second item at their desks, you'll get hammered for $100. Fork over your credit card.

It is ALL ABOUT REVENUE ENHANCEMENT. The airlines want you to cough up $100 to help their bottom line.

Now here is the loophole: carry-on.

No weight limit, not yet anyway. I had vitamins and some tools (heavy items) in my roll-on carry on. You are allowed TWO carry-ons and most folks, myself included, have shifted their 2nd check-in to carry-on status. Yes, a big cat 'n mouse game.

Enjoy the loophole while it lasts.

If you are US Military, or can produce some official looking badge, you can check 3 or more items, no charge.

• Like 1

AyJaydee /OP

JAFO is correctomundo with his post:

<<FWIIW, US weight limit is 23 Kg max and only a few companies flying out of the US allow 2. EVA and Korean( wife just did all this research about a week ago). Delta, United, China Air all have a limit of one unless you want to spend $100 for an extra bag up to 23Kg's. However if you are a silver medallion Member on Delta you can take 2.>>

Here is where the discrepancy lies: The airlines USED to allow two 23kg check in luggage parcels, those days ended two years ago. The airline's terminology is misleading at their websites, but I and others will vouch for the fact that if you try and check in a second item at their desks, you'll get hammered for $100. Fork over your credit card.

It is ALL ABOUT REVENUE ENHANCEMENT. The airlines want you to cough up $100 to help their bottom line.

Now here is the loophole: carry-on.

No weight limit, not yet anyway. I had vitamins and some tools (heavy items) in my roll-on carry on. You are allowed TWO carry-ons and most folks, myself included, have shifted their 2nd check-in to carry-on status. Yes, a big cat 'n mouse game.

Enjoy the loophole while it lasts.

If you are US Military, or can produce some official looking badge, you can check 3 or more items, no charge.

eva, korean , jal ,cathay, china , thai, singapore all advertise 2 at 23 kg for economy