Overstayed for almost 30 days -- Can I come back next month?

So I've been planning a trip back to the states and also moving to a new place in Thailand, and during all that it completely slipped my mind that I never went to the local immigration to get a 30 day extension on my visa. It's been so routine that after I forgot to go it just never crossed my mind. I feel like an idiot.

My flight black to the states leaves on the 15th, so by then it will have been 30 days overstay. I'll need to pay 15,000 baht in fines, right?

It sucks to pay the fine, but what I'm most worried about is being able to return since I have a return flight 1 month later. I checked out the newer, stricter overstay rules and those don't kick in until you've overstayed 90 days or more.

So, once I pay the fine, will this overstay not affect my ability to come back into Thailand? Is this overstay bad to have on my passport and would it be best to renew my passport while I'm in the states?

The new overstay rules are not in effect yet.

You will have no problem returning to Thailand. Others have done it with much longer overstays.

You should get a tourist visa while you are in the states. You can get a 3 entry from the embassy.

• Like 2

The new overstay rules are not in effect yet.

You will have no problem returning to Thailand. Others have done it with much longer overstays.

You should get a tourist visa while you are in the states. You can get a 3 entry from the embassy.

Thanks ubonjoe! That makes me feel much better. I plan on getting a 1 year multiple entry visa when I'm back in the states.

you have to pay 500 bath per day overstay and 20;000 maximun

i am french and now to get a tourist visa (2 months) i have sent thai ambassy my account bank

and prouve 1000 euros per month

is it the same in other country?

No. So what happens is that French people can come in visa exempt or get their visa from other places, and the Embassy does not get the fee.

How can you just "forget" to report? For thirty days

Very easy, I should imagine. I've never overstayed but I did forget about my 90 day reporting once (paid a 2,000 baht fine).

I now record extension dates and the date my 90 day reporting is due in Google Calendar. I get an e-mail reminding me that the due date is approaching. That way, I have no excuse for forgetting in future.

Alan