Holidaying on Samui. Tips please

huangnon

Will be going to Samui with my family and Mum and Dad in early January next year for a week's break from Rayong. I've not been to Samui for well over a decade now, so hoping some of the more experienced posters on here could give a few recommendation (which beach; resort; hotels, etc ?), please. smile.png

My parents are into their 70's now but in good health and active. I don't want to stay anywhere with too many bars / nightlife if possible, but access to good restaurants and a clean beach would be great. We're not on a budget, and don't mind splashing out a bit during the week we're there. Any tips and recommendations, please? Thanks in advance.wai.gif

Samui isn't really that large, as you know. You could hire a taxi and do a day's tour around, see what appeals to your parents, and make a base there. I agree, the north is far quieter, but in the day-time Chaweng and Lamai (the main tourist spots) are both pleasant enough. Here's a link to main attractions.

http://www.agoda.com/city/samui-th.html?type=3&site_id=1646620&url=http://www.agoda.com%2fcity%2fsamui-th.html&tag=b9f0cae9-aeb6-4bae-9b54-ce454463a484&device=c&network=s&adid=47656290747&rand=18180300164884692977&expid=&adpos=1t1&gclid=Cj0KEQjw-dSgBRDb0oOl9MzxqMEBEiQAkHqy-Syp1t2UwMICHGHYBI1fZB9dn_p8yCcSc8OMYdQysCkaAj0p8P8HAQ&cklg=1

• Like 1

That will be height of the season of course, so rates could go crazy and things will book up fast.

Fisherman's village for accomodation coud be quite crowded and very noisy unless you willing to pay out for the Hansar at the end. Which is darn good hotel but no idea the pricing that time of year. Most people do Fisherman's village as a night out for dinner, Friday nights road is closed to traffic, etc. NOT recomend the beach for more than sittng in the sand down at the end.

Cheongmon idea is a good one, thinking the Imperial Boathouse, owned by same Thai Hotel family that owns the Tongsai Bay at the very end with its own beach. To go upscale western on that beach there is Sala Samui at the north end. Otherwise I believe they are all local operations, not that they aren't good but completely different set of expectations required. A lot of places scattered around the island a very good but you are pretty much trapped, not a big deal if you don't mind spending min 300 baht to go anywhere (one way) or rent a car, and please stay off the scooters as that time of year especially, you taking a big risk no matter how good you might be on one (note you in-country).

The only place i think you can go that has all the eating options within walking distance other than fisherman's village is Chaweng but that time of year the road is a zoo as its party-central...there are plenty of upscale resorts there but a real gem is Poppie's, best staff on the island (if you can book it this late). But you can always make a trip out for a nice dinner and in fact some of the best eateries are those you would go to by taxi anyway.

Best advice is probably look at trip advisor and if there are significant number of comments for a venue would go with it. I have heard more than once that it seems to be on the mark.

As the saying goes, "take what you like and leave the rest..."

I wouldn't stay anywhere else on Samui than the Sala if I could afford the 15k+ Baht a night cost. tongue.png

The quieter parts of Samui are in the North and West. The noisier parts are Chaweng and Lamai. Choeng Mon has a good variety of hotels available through Agoda etc, or Fisherman's Village is good. If you want quieter still, there is Five Islands and Samui Orchid Resort and nearby villas, close to the Tiger Zoo. Cars can be easily rented everywhere, giving all the accessibility you could want!

• Like 1

The quieter parts of Samui are in the North and West. The noisier parts are Chaweng and Lamai. Choeng Mon has a good variety of hotels available through Agoda etc, or Fisherman's Village is good. If you want quieter still, there is Five Islands and Samui Orchid Resort and nearby villas, close to the Tiger Zoo. Cars can be easily rented everywhere, giving all the accessibility you could want!

If you are arriving during the peak season it would be smart to book your vehicle well in advance.

If you are arriving during the peak season it would be smart to book your vehicle well in advance.

+1

and your flights

• Like 1

Koh Samui is not the best place for holidays in January, crowded, expensiv, no swimming possible because of high waves,

better Koh Mak or Koh Chang, no traffic and realy relax

Koh Samui is a tropical island with seasonal monsoon weather. Usually from the East or from the West. High waves on one side usually means no waves on the other.

Whilst this may not always be guaranteed, there is always a beach somewhere where one can swim. (I have never known the wind to come fromthe N, S, E and W all at the same time.) wai2.gif

• Like 1

You mean turn back time to when there were no electricity and only water from wells?

Oh and do not forget the floods and airport closures. The only ATM was in Nathon and a 'taxi' from Fisherman's Village to the airport was 300 baht - 14 years ago!

Go for it OP - and have a ball. I hope that the folks enjoy it.

• Like 2

People who chose to come to Samui would very much like the modern amenities and comfort the island provides, thank you.

There's even places such as Conrad, where you can bask in luxury by a beach and be pretty much furthest away from civilization.

Those who are looking for a authentic nostalgic retreat will go elsewhere, such as Burma or Cambodia.

• Like 1