Short Tourist Visit To Uk

:o

Hello everyone.

I am looking for some advise.

Is it possible for my Thai girlfriend of 18 months to get a simple tourist vias to visit the UK for a few weeks, and then return to UK.

She is 28 year old and has Thai ID, she does not yet have a Thai passport, but has a birth certificate.

Could anybody please help me, with the steps I have to follow to get this tourist visa.

Thankyou : :D

Steven,

For a visit visa your g/f has to demonstrate that she can either support herself or be supported for the duration of the trip and that she intends to leave the UK at the end of the visit.

You/your g/f should supply evidence of your relationship and additionally show that you can put a roof over her head, as well as financially support her during the holiday. If she has employment in Thailand, your g/f should submit a letter from her employer which states for how long she's worked for the company, what her job is, how much she gets paid, and the date she is expected to return to work.

Scouse.

Steven,

Have a read of the following.

Guidance - General information for Visitors Visa Applications

Guidance - Visitors (INF 2)

Guidance - Sponsors (INF 3)

Document Checklist

Where and how to apply.

'Reason to Return' is often a stumbling block. As Scouse says, if she has a job then supply an employers letter as outlined by Scouse. If she owns land, then proof of this.

However, many people have successfully obtained visit visas for their girl/boyfriend based on the strength of the relationship alone. Basically, if the ECO feels that the relationship is genuine and therefore the reason for the visit is genuine then they will also feel that the applicant would not want to jeopardise any future settlement application by overstaying or otherwise breaking the conditions of a visit visa.

So, in your sponsors letter include a brief history of the relationship, the reason for her wanting to visit the UK at this time and what your future plans are.

Obviously, she will need to get a passport first.

Edited by GU22

When my step-daughter applied at the passport office in Bangkok (6 years ago) it took a week. This was before biometric passports, so it may have changed. Outside Bangkok, probably longer.

When she applies for the visa, if all the paperwork is ok and the ECO is satisfied to issue the visa on the paperwork alone, then officially up to 10 working days. Some people have reported a 24 hour turnaround!

If she needs an interview, current waiting times are, I believe, 16 weeks.

When my step-daughter applied at the passport office in Bangkok (6 years ago) it took a week. This was before biometric passports, so it may have changed. Outside Bangkok, probably longer.

A month or so ago my wife renewed her passport at the Ubon Ratchatani passport office,it was posted to the house and took only five days.For a new passport,maybe a bit longer.

A month or so ago my wife renewed her passport at the Ubon Ratchatani passport office,it was posted to the house and took only five days.For a new passport,maybe a bit longer.

The Thai passport was a relatively easy process,approximately one hour at the office in Bangkok and they post the passport on to her home address.When my girl friend applied for a visa some three years back we had been together for about 18 months. I was much older than her and frankly did not expect to succeed. I did have my own house in the UK and enough funds to support her, but my girlfriend did not have a job then and only 2 rai of land to her name. However the visa people were more interested in us proving that it was a legit relationship, they asked us for letters and were particularly interested in the envelopes,which had addresses and date stamps.We just happened to have these with us. I was dumfounded when they gave her a six month visa. She is about to make her third trip,now as my wife. Good luck..........

Phusingpete,

Why should you think that the fact that you are much older than her would make the visa application unliklely to succeed.? Isn't a relationship between a 50 year old and a 19 year old just as genuine as one between 2 25 year olds? Doesn't apply to me i might add as the age differance is not great , but i never understand why an age gap is a problem for some people.

It also helped that she had some land in her name

Steven W ,

You haven't realy given any details about your girlfriends circumstances, without which its impossible to answer you in anything other than general terms.

Phusingpete,

Why should you think that the fact that you are much older than her would make the visa application unliklely to succeed.? Isn't a relationship between a 50 year old and a 19 year old just as genuine as one between 2 25 year olds? Doesn't apply to me i might add as the age differance is not great , but i never understand why an age gap is a problem for some people.

It also helped that she had some land in her name

Steven W ,

You haven't realy given any details about your girlfriends circumstances, without which its impossible to answer you in anything other than general terms.

Atlastaname,

I agree with you entirely, but many people do not share our opinion and I suppose my gut feeling was that the British Embassy officials would be somewhat suspicious of her motives. I was wrong,thankfully.