Bangkok: Any Clubs Open Later than 2am ?

richard_smith237

Friends are visiting Bangkok... They are looking to go out and stay out late....

There are no issues finding places open to 2am, however, they have been unable to find decent places (clubs etc) which are open later than 2am.

The usual places, Mixx, Wax, Levels, Scratch Dog etc are all closing at 2 to 2:30am... I'm guessing this is a result of the Military Grasp.

As I rarely stay out late I'm well out of the late night loop.

Thus: Does anyone have any up to date information on Clubs which are open later than 2am ?

A couple of nights ago, after 2am, a cab driver wanted to take me to a club called AOT or ATO or something like that - can't remember exactly - which he said was near Spicy and stayed open till very late. I didn't go or ask more about it. But it's easy enough to find out as obviously the place pays a commission to incoming cabs so all late-night drivers should know. Just stop one and ask.

• Like 2

I think, barring a change in the law or a return to democracy, that side of Bangkok's nightlife is pretty much over.

Not sure I agree. I am an insomniac and often hang out late on lower Suk. A few weeks ago they cracked down on the alcocarts, The stretches between 3 and 5 and 5 and 7 became empty and, frankly, depressing (say what you will about their taking away pedestrian space, they still are the life of the party).

Well, guess what, they are pretty much all back now, though I think starting at a later hour than before. So, I am going to stick my head out and say that the club closing times will start slipping soon too and by the time the high season rolls around we'll be back to normal service.

When Thaksin was PM his man in Bangkok went on a campaign shutting down bars at early hours. I remember a period when many bars and clubs were closed by midnight and few stayed open past 0100. This is when many of the late night places started popping up but they were not advertised, some of them simple a doorway that you had to know where it was. Finding these places was great fun. Also this is the time when the late night lower sukhumwit street places started popping up until it became a late night scene. Night life now is not nearly as fun as it was back then, and it wasn't even that long ago. So just wait and see what happens. As the popularity of gogo joints declines the popularity of late late night discos rises. Whatever period you find yourself in when in BKK if you stick around long enough it will change. I'm talking about nightlife here.

There are literally dozens of Thai clubs in the suburbs which are open until 4-5am or 6-7am, usually full of uni students. I was at one in Latphrao on Fri night until 3:30 am until it was closed by the local police.

However, these past 2 weeks have not been good for all clubs post 2 am. Closing is enforced at different times depending on the police district and specific club. To that extent is seems futile to recommend places as the closing times are changing week to week, day to day. It will revert back to normal at some point.

It's a good time to throw a party in your home/condo.........

I think, barring a change in the law or a return to democracy, that side of Bangkok's nightlife is pretty much over.

Not sure I agree. I am an insomniac and often hang out late on lower Suk. A few weeks ago they cracked down on the alcocarts, The stretches between 3 and 5 and 5 and 7 became empty and, frankly, depressing (say what you will about their taking away pedestrian space, they still are the life of the party).

Well, guess what, they are pretty much all back now, though I think starting at a later hour than before. So, I am going to stick my head out and say that the club closing times will start slipping soon too and by the time the high season rolls around we'll be back to normal service.

Depends what you're into I suppose. I can't abide by a lot of the scum that drifts to the top after 2 or 3am on Lower Sukhumvit but I must confess that the walk home towards Phrom Phong can be entertaining if only from a voyeur's perspective.

If people want to sit on the street sweating like turkeys at Christmas with meth-heads, shifty drug dealers and skanks, all power to 'em.