msft Word download - from a non-Chinese site?

boomerangutang

I've downloaded Word in the past. Every so often, my computer crashes, so I have to searching again for software. There are some powerful/big Chinese-based sites which disguise themselves as western sites. When anything is downloaded from them, they automatically embed a weird search engine (I can't recall its name) which is hard to delete. The Chinese search engine resembles Google (even its logo is similar), but is inferior.

Anyhow, I just need a relatively simple version of Word. I already have Libre Office Writer (which I donated funds for). It's supposed to be just like WORD, but my version of Libre doesn't have some basic functions, like changing font color (!) or putting page numbers on texts.

all replies appreciated.

Very basic suggestions find and download I.O.BIT UNISTALLER with this you can delete programmes but with this

you can DEEP CLEAN meaning this will also delete any hidden folders which would almost definatly have been

attatched to the origional chinese word

ok once rid of all the add on crap again locate and download a V.P.N. I have one called ZENMATE which is still i think for free

after all that open vpn and download from uk or usa a bit long winded i know but it works

good luck

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll try some of 'em. It's become an issue in recent days, because I'm endeavoring to transfer files between my computer and someone else's who has Apple. The files have the same .docx file type, but they don't look the same on the 2 computers. Several gaping differences.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll try some of 'em. It's become an issue in recent days, because I'm endeavoring to transfer files between my computer and someone else's who has Apple. The files have the same .docx file type, but they don't look the same on the 2 computers. Several gaping differences.

If your original docx was written with Word from another o/s chances are depending on its complexity it will never look the same. Same applies to using other office type products. Convert it to PDF first might help. There are loads of sources for downloading Word besides the Chinese sites you mention and you can buy it legally. I always keep the install files so I don't need to go looking for it again after a computer change.

Kingsoft WPS Word/Office is the best choice I have seen in Word alternatives. Format for word documents is much better than Open Office or Libre Office in my limited use.

I downloaded it, but when I go to open it, it calls itself 'Zhuhai' which is awfully Chinese-sounding to me. So am concerned that it's yet another Chinese company which may try to slip a mickey in to my computer. Am still stumped.

As for saving 'install files', yes that sounds sensible, though new versions come out, but most pressing: every few years my computer dies and I lose nearly everything. Yes, I do back-up of most important files, but it's still a drag. At least twice I've had Thai techies work on my computer and they say "we'll back-up everything" before doing some major work, and each time it turns out they don't really back everything up, and a lot gets lost. I'm becoming more of a Luddite as time rolls by. I don't even have a fancy phone, as my primitive old one is more reliable.

Edited by boomerangutang

Well firstly you're not supposed to discuss downloading pirate software here, and secondly if that's what your doing, you can expect to download malware, etc.

There are lots of free Word-compatible word processors out there, and changing font size and color is an incredibly basic function in most of them.

What I would say is that if you are sharing files with a Mac user, use a format you can both understand. Not that macs make themselves compatible with much, Apple "ecosystem" and all that.

And even with Word I tend to do it in 97-2003 format which most packages seem to parse without problem.

• Like 1

yeah the 97-2003 has also been my middleman for years, and it was a backward step in using the one from OpenOffice.

The concept of using conversion via pdf also works well.

I expanded on that idea by using 'NitroReader3', a legit Free program, which enables text editing of the pdf files too!

• Like 1