Recruitment Agencies In The Engineering Sector?

Hi All,

I graduated last year with a top class BEng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering and I hope to move to Thailand later in the year. For the last few months I have been working for a global multidisciplinary engineering consultancy as a graduate engineer in the water & utilities sector. Prior to university I also did an advanced modern apprenticeship as a Mechanical Engineering Fitter for 4 years.

Does anyone know of any good agencies? I am looking especially for agencies catering for candidates with relatively limited experience and/or positions in Chiang Mai, but I am flexible on sector and location.

Any hints and tips and greatly recieved :o

Thers quite a few good agencies but I doubt if they could help, what are you offering an employer that a Local Thai cant offer, can you speak, read, write the language? and what salary are you looking for? Sorry to be a downer but I think a few years more experience would help, anyway try www.expatengineer.net for a starting point

Hi All,

I graduated last year with a top class BEng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering and I hope to move to Thailand later in the year. For the last few months I have been working for a global multidisciplinary engineering consultancy as a graduate engineer in the water & utilities sector. Prior to university I also did an advanced modern apprenticeship as a Mechanical Engineering Fitter for 4 years.

Does anyone know of any good agencies? I am looking especially for agencies catering for candidates with relatively limited experience and/or positions in Chiang Mai, but I am flexible on sector and location.

Any hints and tips and greatly recieved :o

all I can say is good luck...I'm a mechanical engineer (BSME, SF State, CA) with 20 years experience in the power generation industry (15 years with consultancies) and had a job search ongoing in Thailand for 18 months while I was unemployed. After 50 or so resumes sent out all over SE Asia not even one response. In Thailand you would need to know the language AND be willing to take a local salary which amounts to about 10-20% of what an expat engineer makes that's employed by a multinational organisation and that was hired in Europe on an overseas assignment package.

My present situation is that I was hired by telephone/email by a european company while working in the Gulf and was dispatched on assignment to Vietnam. Sounds weird but it's a common arrangement when working as a freelance expat consultant. You could try taking an assignment elsewhere oveseas (ie., Africa, Middle East, etc) then keeping an ear to the ground and applying for jobs in Thailand/SEA as they arise. You are also more likely to be hired if you have previous overseas experience.

Otherwise, I'd say better to stay with your consultancy in the UK and hope that they pick up some work in SEA...either that or find another in the UK that does have work locally. There are also online agencies that specialize in overseas assignments. Check out expatsdirect.com...

once again...good luck

Thanks for the replies people :o

I've now had my first rejection after applying directly to a company in Thailand. The reason being that the position was only open to Thai citizens; which I fully understand. I now know this will be no easy by far and is going to take perseverance, dedication and due to my limited experience: time. Although week by week I am getting more experience and at my upcoming courses should also help ........ I hope!

I think recruitment agencies will enable me with a better chance of gaining employment.

Well; Rome wasn't built in a day!