I was diagnosed with Dengue Fever.

Costas2008

For the last 2 days, I had some temperature, so I started taking Paracetamol, thinking is a kind of virus.

Last night the temperature went up and my body started itching.

Also felt like I wanted to be sick.

So this morning went to the hospital, they took some blood and half an hour later the doctor confirmed I had Dengue fever.

The doctor assured me that I shouldn't be worried.

Asked to come back home, drink a lot of water and go tomorrow morning for another blood test.

Should I be worried?

Anybody that got Dengue before?

Your experience please.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had it a few months ago. Not much you can do nor the doctor apart from taking paracetamol and drinking plenty of fluids. On Koh Tao they insist / recommend you go to Samui where a 4 day stay costs in the region of 120,000 baht if you are insured.

I have been told since that papaya leaves made into a tea and drunk is very effective even if disgusting. Time to catch up on all those movies you have downloaded and never got round to watching. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I think there is a fair chance I had it last year based on symptoms. Obviously a mild case. I was planning on going to the hospital if it got worse but it got better instead so didn't bother. Is there a way of knowing later if you had it already? My understanding is the odds of having a severe case increase with multiple incidents.

I've had it 2-3 times (third time was a little unclear on diagnosis) and most long term expats have had it at least once; if you do a search of dengue in this forum you'll find lots of stories. It is virtually a rite of passage here....

Most cases of dengue are self-limiting and uncomplicated (though highly unpleasant), especially in adults. A minority of cases develop a complicated hemorrhagic form; mostly this occurs in children.

That you are already itching just 2 days after starting a fever indicates you have a comparatively mild case; the itching usually comes when one is starting to improve and is most pronounced in people with a mild version of the disease (it is related to the body's immune response).

Presumably they checked your platlet count in the hospital and it was fine. If you continue to have fever, should recheck that every 2 days or so (more often if it starts to drop). Sounds like you already have an appointment to get this done.

Aside from monitoring platlet count (it will drop significantly before there is any risk of hemorrhagic complications), the rest of management is purely supportive: rest, paracetemol for fever and aches, and maintain hydration through drinking plenty of fluid. When fever is extremely high and the person unable to keep fluids down it becomes necessary to hospitalize for IV rehydration but you don't sound like that.

Welcome to the club.

Thank you Sheryl,

As always a good and sound advice.

My platlet count was 140,000 - 400,000

The only other thing they detected is the Hematocrit being high 50.4%

White blood cells 2890

I'll see tomorrow morning again what they say.

He told you to go home. Wow. When i had dengue fever and went to see the doc at the hospital, they wouldn't let me go home. Even after 4 days there(i insisted on a private room so i could masturbate)they told me i had to stay more.

I had to explain it to them that i was going to stay as long as i wanted to.

What did they do the 4 days? If they don't do something I would simply go home....

Thank you Sheryl,

White blood cells 2890

That indicates dehydration. You need to really push the fluids.

The low WBC is par for the course with dengue.

I forgot to mention, be prepared for feeling depressed especially in the recuperation phase, and it may last quite a while. It is one of the effects of dengue.

Is it correct which Dengue you shouldn't eat Aspirin?

Yes, because it can contribute to problems with bleeding- even in non-hemorrghanic dengue ("simple dengue") the platlet count tends to drop. All meds that affect blood coagulation are contraindicated: Aspirin, NSAIDs etc.

Thank you Sheryl,

White blood cells 2890

I forgot to mention, be prepared for feeling depressed especially in the recuperation phase, and it may last quite a while. It is one of the effects of dengue.

Hi Sheryl,

This is the continuation of my story.

This morning went back to the hospital, wife took blood again and I got the results 30 minutes later.

The only difference was platlet count was 144,000 instead of 140,000 yesterday.

I was asked to see a different doctor as doctor No1 that saw me yesterday was off.

Now No 2 doctor decided that I don't have Dengue fever but a viral infection.

And she based that on the fact that my platelet count was higher and not lower as expected if I had Dengue.

She prescribed for me to have an intravenous drip with some kind of antibiotic.

And the same procedure has to be repeated twice in the space of 4 days.

But have to admit, wife was very satisfied pocking me with needles I could see that in her eyes.........

Please, tell me should I be worried or just go along with Doctor No2 instructions?

Thank you very much in advance.

Thank you Sheryl,

White blood cells 2890

Hi Sheryl,

This morning went back to the hospital, wife took blood again and I got the results 30 minutes later.

I was asked to see a different doctor as doctor No1 that saw me yesterday was off.

And she based that on the fact that my platelet count was higher and not lower as expected if I had Dengue.

But have to admit, wife was very satisfied pocking me with needles I could see that in her eyes.........

Please, tell me should I be worried or just go along with Doctor No2 instructions?

lf Doc tells you have a virus infection and gives you antibiotics instead, than go and find a different hospital....He studied at Khaosan University (copied certificate). Antibiotics are against bacteria and complete useless against virus.

144.000 to 140.000.....I don't know how exactly that test is. 3% more might be just a variation in the test.

----> other hospital

or maybe it get good on itself

• Like 2

I didn't think antibiotics would do anything for viral infections.

no they usually block a thing in the metabolism of bacteria.....A virus is different than a bacteria a dead thing. It is just a container with DNA or RNA inside.

So the ways of fighting it is complete different (and more difficult).

In rare cases when you get some opportunistic bacteria infection on top of the virus infection antibiotics can help, else they are useless

Take lots of Vitamin C that is the only thing you can do, it boosts the system and I am pretty shocked the doctor didn't tell you this.

@Sheyl 3 times and no haemorrhagic fever or dengue shock a little hard to believe.

Anyway OP here is some good information

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Dengue_fever

Treatment for dengue fever

There is no specific treatment for dengue fever. Medical care aims to manage the symptoms and reduce the risk of complications while the person recovers. Most cases of uncomplicated dengue fever resolve within two weeks or so.

During this time, your doctor may advise:

• bed rest
  • plenty of fluids
  • medication to reduce fever, such as paracetamol (do not take aspirin because of its blood-thinning properties).

Hospital admission is usually required if the person develops dengue haemorrhagic fever or dengue shock syndrome. Treatment for these complications may include intravenous fluids and replacement of lost electrolytes.

All I can say Costas is you've got it easy if you are posting on here. I was in bed for a week with a drip. Shivering and shaking uncontralably. Sweating all the time and delerious for most of it. It tooke me months to get ov er it completely. Have a speedy recovery :) γειά σου φίλος

Thank you Sheryl,

White blood cells 2890

Hi Sheryl,

lf Doc tells you have a virus infection and gives you antibiotics instead, than go and find a different hospital....He studied at Khaosan University (copied certificate). Antibiotics are against bacteria and complete useless against virus.

144.000 to 140.000.....I don't know how exactly that test is. 3% more might be just a variation in the test.

----> other hospital

or maybe it get good on itself

Sometimes a doctor will prescribe an antibiotic in the case of a viral infection because viral infections are frequently gateways for bacterial infections. Sometimes an antibiotic is prescribed because it takes too long to isolate exactly what is causing the symptoms and they do it just in case the symptoms are caused by bacteria.

If you have dengue you will also feel exhausted from even doing the slightest work.. The red blood cells that carry oxygen are being attacked. This can go on for months.

Had it myself 3 times with the 1st time being the worst ever and the 2nd a lot less. The 3rd I only noticed due to a slight fever and skin rash but the tests revealed again it was Dengue.

The doctors like to monitor you as sometimes you get a very high fever that can lead to a shock.

All of this in Bangkok/ Sathon area.

You will be all right.

For most healthy adults, dengue will be a painful, uncomfortable and fully recoverable disease. However it is good to have your blood checked daily so they can check your platelets and liver function. Also imperative to drink loads of water and take Tylenol but not aspirin or ibuprofen as these pain relievers can make one bleed more easily. I had dengue at least once and possibly what I refer to as" dengue fever light" another time. I was miserable but up and about in a week with no lasting effects. best of luck to you!

Might be worth emailing <removed - use PM>. There is a newspaper article (13 april 2014) all about dengue and alternative treatments. As someone has just posted, papaya leaf juice will help in raising the level of platelets in dengue patients.
The report says to take pure fresh juice extracted from 50g of clean papaya leaves of the 'sekaki' variety once daily for 3 consecutive days.
Anyway, see if you can get the newspaper article - I've just tried with no success!

Edited by Tywais
email removed as per forum rules

He told you to go home. Wow. When i had dengue fever and went to see the doc at the hospital, they wouldn't let me go home. Even after 4 days there(i insisted on a private room so i could masturbate)they told me i had to stay more.

Masterbate???????? Can't you get a woman? I am not neccessary referring to the ones you pay for, not that there's anything wrong with it.

What did they do the 4 days? If they don't do something I would simply go home....

It wasn't what he did the four days. Read his post again.

Thank you Sheryl,

White blood cells 2890

Hi Sheryl,

You will know soon enough,it lasts about 10 days from the onset of symptoms. About half way through the pressure in the brain will feel like you have headbutted a wall, this is the scary part.

Just before the end your hands will turn red, this is the clincher that you have just had dengue.

The good news is that you will then have lifetime immunity from that strain, bad news is that there are 3 other strains with an elevated risk factor.