Is the so called 'need' to learn English just another face of imperialism?

I was sitting in a restaurant last night and fell to talking with a bunch of guys in their 30s. Well dressed, nice motors....clearly not poor..natives of the town. Bit surprised I could speak Thai. They however were switching from Thai to Lao to Vietnamese to Chinese (teochew) to local dialect without pausing for breath. All agreed it was difficult to do business in town if you could not do this. And all agreed, too, they wished their English was better. But it was by no means a requirement of doing business. Though all agreed that having been to school here and to language schools the standard of instruction was appalling. Most of my european friends are bilingual. They speak the language of their country and English and that is it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is your point?

1. That if you want to surprise Thais you should learn Thai?

2. That English is not a requirement to do business in Thailand?

3. That some Thais are multi-lingual?

4. That many Thais want to improve their English?

5. That if you are well dressed and have a nice motorcycle no one will think you're poor?

Thank goodness this is a multiple-choice exam!

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

One has to see it from a Thai perspective:

Thailand is a premier league player in fields like science, the arts, sports, innovation, productivity, etc. Blessed with a stable political environment, a legal-system above and beyond any doubt and an educational-system that is the envy of the world. All this is well supported by the achievements of the 649 Thai Nobel Price winners.

The cure for the worlds ailments is therefore "Thainess".

Considering all this, Thailand can comfortably await the day when Thai will replace English as the worlds universal second language.

Cheers.

post-179267-0-87692700-1410693728_thumb.

Years ago I was in Malaysia and there were four Chinese Malaysians having a business meeting, the meeting was in English, yet all of them spoke Malaysian, and Chinese. I asked one of them why they didn't use their native language. He said when we talk business, we use English.

• Like 1

Thailand is a premier league player in fields like science, the arts, sports, innovation, productivity, etc. Blessed with a stable political environment, a legal-system above and beyond any doubt and an educational-system that is the envy of the world. All this is well supported by the achievements of the 649 Thai Nobel Price winners.

Considering all this, Thailand can comfortably await the day when Thai will replace English as the worlds universal second language.

Cheers.

If only falangs would stop being so serious they too could have ghosts in their parliament.

Good grief.The language of capitalism and economic exploitation is English. Fortunately the Thai people we live with,

mostly, see no need to learn English apart from the fact that they are told so to do. Point being: Why are Americans, Brits, Australians etc so desperate to impose the English Language on everyone? Happens to be my 3rd language. Useful but by no means critical. And all those posters with warped minds who seek to put some bizarre spin on the post know what to do!! Meaow as the cat said!

PS and how did this thread end up in this forum? What on earth has it to do with jobs, economy, banking etc. I thought it was about why Thai people in particular, and others, feel obliged to learn English; which seems a perfectly reasonable question for a 'General' forum

Edited by laolover88

What is your point?

5. That if you are well dressed and have a nice motorcycle no one will think you're poor?

"2. That English is not a requirement to do business in Thailand?"

Yes it is. Thailand is a major exporter in SE Asia. They do business with lots of countries, and it's done in English. They are export dependent, with more than $200 billion USD in exports last year. Thailand is a major trading partner with the US.

Thailand does business with so many countries including those in the EU that not having English would make it impossible. LINK

Note: If Thai kids want to have success in the future economy, they need English.

• Like 2

I don't know anyone who gives a monkey's toss how many people in the world speak English or don't. You pick your own involvement - if you want to have conservations in English, you must know English. To converse in some other language requires knowledge of that language. Both parties must have a common symbolic standard to exchange semantic information.

I feel like I'm explaining this to a ten a year old. Can you ask your mom if it's okay for you to continue posting on Thaivisa?

• Like 1

What is your point?

Yes it is. Thailand is a major exporter in SE Asia. They do business with lots of countries, and it's done in English. They are export dependent, with more than $200 billion USD in exports last year. Thailand is a major trading partner with the US.

Thailand does business with so many countries including those in the EU that not having English would make it impossible. LINK

Note: If Thai kids want to have success in the future economy, they need English.

My post was just a tongue in cheek reply to a post from casualbiker which poked fun at the OP's somewhat unfocused writing style.

Please rest assured that I am aware of the importance of English in international commerce.

I apologize for any confusion which may have been caused by my post. smile.png

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

What is your point?

My post was just a tongue in cheek reply to a post from casualbiker which poked fun at the OP's somewhat unfocused writing style.

Please rest assured that I am aware of the importance of English in international commerce.

I apologize for any confusion which may have been caused by my post. smile.png

Take two TOEFL courses and have a good lie down. You'll feel better in the morning.

Cheers.

Swissie,

you nailed it.post of the month(so far)-love it.

• Like 1

To answer the titles question; without a doubt. From what I've seen, English speakers seem to be the laziest when it comes to speaking, reading, or writing a second, or more, language.

Not necessarily lazy. But, whether you or the OP like it or not, English is the international common language of commerce, medicine, research, science and education. It is the most important language to learn if you want to be involved with anything on an international scale.

In Europe, for example German's and French do business with one another in English.

The fact is, English speakers don't need a second language as much as non English speakers need English.

There are more people learning English in China than the UK population. Why do you think that is?

Get over the fact that your native language, whatever it is, is largely irrelevant except in your own country. Globalization required a global language, which for better or worse, happens to be English.

(unfortunately) true.i think english should be tought in schools world wide as first language and the respective native one as second.in this way the whole world could communicate without any"missunderstandings".BUT every nation should care their own language as a national heritage.

would love it would be German...555

To answer the titles question; without a doubt. From what I've seen, English speakers seem to be the laziest when it comes to speaking, reading, or writing a second, or more, language.

Not necessarily lazy. But, whether you or the OP like it or not, English is the international common language of commerce, medicine, research, science and education. It is the most important language to learn if you want to be involved with anything on an international scale.

In Europe, for example German's and French do business with one another in English.

The fact is, English speakers don't need a second language as much as non English speakers need English.

There are more people learning English in China than the UK population. Why do you think that is?

Get over the fact that your native language, whatever it is, is largely irrelevant except in your own country. Globalization required a global language, which for better or worse, happens to be English.

(unfortunately) true.i think english should be tought in schools world wide as first language and the respective native one as second.in this way the whole world could communicate without any"missunderstandings".BUT every nation should care their own language as a national heritage.

unfortunately?

unfortunately?

because otherwise i could contribute to our forum in a much more eloquent way...

btw- forgot to ask if we could agree on ONE english( oxford) and not the American or Australian bufflegab?

Why?

to substitute the F- word with commas and to make it understandable for non locals( confessed to a certain area).

for example: if you were able to speak german and i would talk in my dialect you wouldn't get a word.

got it?