Buying baby stuff UK vs. Thailand, bottle sterilisers needed?

mja1906

We're expecting our first baby next year, and starting to look around for baby stuff. I'm in the UK now for a month, and was wondering if there was any baby stuff that we'd be better off buying over here (UK) rather than Thailand. Any items that are better value/quality here vs. Thailand? In particular, not sure what breast pump to go for, and am questioning if I need a bottle steriliser. I live in CM, and are mostly around Thai country folk. Is it me, or have I never seen them sterilise bottles? I've never seen the locals with steriliser machines, or is it me? If the locals aren't using them, is it really need?

All stuff you need is available here. Cannot be absolutely sure without research but I'm betting that nothing of the staples is going to be so much cheaper in the UK that it is worth self-importing. Milk compounds might be cheaper in the UK, and pre-prepared mashed bottled foods are not widely available (or were not in 2009 when it mattered to me) but weight to value makes those uneconomic to import.

Shop around the supermarkets and Makro here if you are a saver! Robinson typically has a large baby department for the more upmarket peripherals

Thais do sterilise bottles IME, or at least my rural Thai poor family does, but boiling water/steriliser gel is the norm. We used a steamer for the first 6 months, bought in Robinson for ThB 1,440 (GBP 28) in December 2009. Of the 10 babes in my extended family and neighbours all have come through healthy and AFAIK Thailand is good on infant mortality for a developing country.

We used a local regional private hospital here in Isaan for regular check-ups immunisation and I was very happy with the baby doctor who spoke good English. Not super cheap, but neither was it budget-breaking - see 2009 prices below. Of course you can get it free if your partner is Thai and you do not mind waiting around (actually we tended to have to wait about half an hour on average even going private) with everyone else's snuffles

1,890 2 month check-up and injection
2,690 4 month check-up and injection
3,560 6 month check-up and injection
1,460 8 month check-up and medecine
2,830 12 month check-up and injection

Important to trust your partner and her mother/friends to get it right for baby, the extended family network has more expertise than the average UK distributed family! Don't worry too much if something seems a bit unusual (like the Thai(/Isaan?) poor - maybe Thai generic - practice of keeping baby super-warm with fires and blankets for the first month). They've been having millions of babies for years and the whole family/friends focus is on a baby's well-being for the early years. Have a happy parenthoodsmile.png

You don't have to use a bottle sterilizer, but a good parent would.

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a554982/sterilising-bottle-feeding-equipment

The last poster mentioned this...

practice of keeping baby super-warm with fires and blankets for the first month)

This is probably quite dangerous this practice, although I know out in the 'sticks', it's quite common, in cities probably not so.

Overheating children has been linked to SIDS. Something to be aware of, especially in hotter Thai climates.

Congratulations on the baby!!

Edited by krisb

Thanks folks, looks like a steriliser it is then. If the Thais don't use the mashed food in bottles, then what are they feeding them instead? Bit surprised about the fires and blankets, thought it would be too hot in this heat. Am actually more worried about the baby being hot in this heat, rather than cold?

• 2 weeks later...

Just keep an eye on your childs temp and you won't have a problem. When my child was a certain age I was told to scrape a banana with a spoon, soften it with warm water and give her that in addition to milk. Once she was a few months old we started buying a product called Ceralac. Again mixed with water.

• 2 weeks later...

Just keep an eye on your childs temp and you won't have a problem. When my child was a certain age I was told to scrape a banana with a spoon, soften it with warm water and give her that in addition to milk. Once she was a few months old we started buying a product called Ceralac. Again mixed with water.

Think Ceralac has alot of sugar. We tried it and stopped. I don't know your circumstance but i'm in a small village with no shortage of baby rearing knowledge from all the ladies.

When our baby was born, the only meat my lady was allowed to eat for 6 mos. was pork. Ever hear that one??

• 4 weeks later...

We use this one ...

mllPXbgtbgoXxDfkXbVWbzg.jpg

Bought it second hand in Australia for $5 ...

Used EVERY day for the past 8 months. Pops in the microwave with a bit of water in the base (200 ml).

2 - 2 1/2 mins in the microwave ... excellent results.

Don't be shy to buy 'used' baby products.

Mums and Dads go ape shit, buying everything under the sun ... much of what is not needed.

Then sold on the second hand market, often in 'as new' condition.

• Like 1

As for breast pumps ... we've used a few different styles.

This one is the one which the Thai Mums seem to desire.

pTRU1-3431100dt.jpg

One of the issues with the above is that this style pump is not a closed loop system and you have to clean the pipes everytime.

I bought this one, a Ameda_Purely_Yours_Ultra_Breast_Pump ...

purely-yours-ultra2.jpg?w=490

Less well known.

Do a bit of research for yourself and decide which style suits the best.

Hope that helps.

Thanks David48, the Medela seems very popular in the UK too. The Ameda is closed loop? Where did you buy it from?

Yes, the Ameda is a closed loop. They retail for about $300 new.

Good quality second hand start from $100 (ish) up to $200.

Here is an ad for a good quality 2nd hand one ... http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/waterford/feeding/ameda-purely-yours-double-electric-breast-pump-heaps-of-parts/1058202695

I bought ours in Australia for $120

I have to be honest, I haven't researched what Breast Pumps are available in Thailand as we had a couple already.

If you do buy one, maybe also consider buying/bringing a few spare parts.

From the Medela ...

swing-parts.jpg

The parts 'E' and 'F' might be a worthwhile investment to carry spares for.

You can buy also the ...

medela-freestyle-spare-parts-kit-2-67061

Just a thought ... just consider that your Lassie may not be able to produce milk or have issues where she can't with a breast pump.

With breast milk, a whole new world will open up for you, from the terminology, the face contest between Thai mothers (and the lies) as to what they can produce or express, the cleaning of the bottles, the freezing of the milk, the different sugar contents, the drugs taken to enhance increased production, the old time recipes for fuller production ... the list is almost endless ... facepalm.gif

We had twin boys 9 months ago, my Thai partner produces what she can ... maybe 1/5 of what they need.

You are welcome to PM me with questions that you wouldn't ask in a public forum.

OH, if you haven't had the young'un yet, maybe have a read of this ... private-hospital-childbirth ... it's a male perspective.

Good Luck.

IMO I would buy a sterilizer and bottles in the UK. We use Tommee Tippee bottles & sterilizer they are good quality and cost more than double the price in Udon than in UK, I think around 450baht per bottle and sterilizer 5500baht. The bottles etc here are no where near as good quality as in UK. For value for money get what you need in England.