Happiness In Thailand

aaaaaa

I watched one program on Thai TV which has reported the level of happiness in Thailand comparing to other countries.

most of the things said were transalated to me by my wife. main points were - that Thailand is somewhere in the middle, as I recall about 31st or 32nd, on the list. and it has been compared with other , more developed countries, which are not necessarily on the top of list.

now out of curiosity I've tried to find some ino on net about it. appenetly the original report is not so fresh, dated Oct 2003. (see BBC's Nigeria tops happiness survey)

... Nigeria has the highest percentage of happy people followed by Mexico, Venezuela, El Salvador and Puerto Rico, while Russia, Armenia and Romania have the fewest.

But factors that make people happy may vary from one country to the next with personal success and self-expression being seen as the most important in the US, while in Japan, fulfilling the expectations of family and society is valued more highly.

The survey appears to confirm the old adage that money cannot buy happiness.

The researchers for World Values Survey described the desire for material goods as "a happiness suppressant".

They say happiness levels have remained virtually the same in industrialised countries since World War II, although incomes have risen considerably.

The study was carried out in 1999-2001....

Researchers believe the unchanging trend is linked to consumerism.

"New Zealand ranked 15 for overall satisfaction, the US 16th, Australia 20th and Britain 24th - although Australia beats the other three for day-to-day happiness," New Scientist says.

The survey is a worldwide investigation of socio-cultural and political change conducted about every four years by an international network of social scientists.

yes, I remember now that key phrase: "money can't buy happiness" - so I think that program was based on this WVS.

my guess is that Thai TV has used it mostly because last issue of Newsweek magazine has an article Behind the Smile

Can poor people be more self-satisfied than the rich? New clues to an old mystery. - which quotes New Scientist magaine too and its WVS report as "recent".

quite cool article actually, with typical american outlook, or addressing that outlook :

We Americans are told in our Declaration of Independence that three things are sacrosanct—"life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." And like fellow hedonists in Asia, Europe and elsewhere, we've clearly taken the message to heart. We work hard, earn lots of money and spend gleefully on iPods, flat-screen TVs, SUVs and all sorts of expensive fripperies. We indulge, we gratify—and therefore we expect to be the happiest darn people on the planet.

So why aren't we?

well, perhaps it IS recent indeed, relatively speaking - considering that it has taken 2 years to complete (1999-2001) and there was no any reports after that (since it's been published in 2003).

anyway, the main glee point in that whole Thai TV program was that it is not so far behind most developed countries, which are not the top 10 or some even top 20 countries on the list. sort of : "although THailand is not so developed, it is not so UNhappy as some other countries which supposed to be more happy than us."

I couldn't find the whole list of countries - if someone can, please post it here, or its URL link. the original article (The pursuit of happiness) on New Scientist is available only to subscribed members. I found it elsewhere though (read here - there on the bottom are few references to related Happiness articles).

Thailand is mentioned as 8th most optimistic country in 2000

... in 2000 (“Will 2000 be better than 1999?”), Nigeria was the most optimistic, followed by Venezuela, Malaysia, Chile, Panama, the USA, Georgia (60%), and Thailand and Hong Kong (tied).
(from : Our Superlative Country Called Nigeria)

and local Thai newpapers have this :

Tradition and unity sustain happiness

By ThaiDay 12 June 2006

A recent survey by ABAC Poll has found that the level of ‘Gross Domestic Happiness’ in Thai society is buttressed by allegiance to the monarchy, shared beliefs in culture and tradition, and a national spirit of conciliation and unity.

The survey, which questioned 4,336 people between June 1 and 10, rated Thailand’s average level of happiness at 6.59 on a scale of one to 10....

ABAC Poll used 10 indices to gauge happiness, ranging from politics and culture to personal finances and people’s satisfaction with the state of their neighborhoods.

On the subject of culture, 98.2 percent of respondents said they were particularly delighted with the celebrations for the 60th anniversary of His Majesty’s accession to throne, 97.5 percent said they were inspired by royally initiated development projects, and 84.9 percent said they were happy with Thailand’s overall culture and traditions.

The poll also found that 78.8 percent of people found charitable Buddhist traditions to be uplifting, while 75.2 percent said they were entertained by the various festivals and celebrations on the Thai calendar...

most recent news:

Friday, July 14, 2006

Confidence falls again last month

Thailand's Consumer Confidence Index dropped to 80 points in June, the lowest level in 50 months, and according to those who calculate it, it seems certain to keep falling for the rest of the year because of the worsening political outlook and continuously rising oil prices.

More than 60 per cent of the 2,244 respondents to last month's survey believed it was not a suitable time for travelling, starting new investments, or purchasing luxury goods or properties....

Meanwhile, the Economic and Business Forecast Centre's survey found that its index for the gross domestic happiness (GDH) of consumers increased in June, but it said the figure would fall again because people are concerned about rising costs of living.

Confidence in the country's cost of living tumbled from 48.3 points in May to 45.2 in June, and confidence in the politic situation was a meagre 24 points, after falling from 24.4 points in the previous month.

Ninety-three per cent of respondents said rising oil prices were their biggest concern. The country's political situation followed in second place...