Anywhere worth exploring by motorbike in Kanchanaburi?

BBJ

Myself and a couple of mates, all Versys owners are looking for somewhere to ride in Kanchanaburi. We've done it a couple of times but only ventured as far as Hell Fire Pass, stopping at a couple of falls on the way, and usually ending up in the Aussie Rules Bar! We are generally quite impulsive and if we see a trails road we will often venture down to see where it leads. Tarmac ok, trail roads a must.

We've got a couple if days free between the 1st and 15th of October so if someone has a recommendation please suggest.

On the last trip we rode through Ratchaburi (Sueng Pueng) which has some great smooth roads.

Thanks in advance

From Sisawat cross on the ferry to Huay Mae Kamin and ride through Pha Sawan (Sawan hill). If you are up for a serious challenge then Kao Pa Noi or Kao Dam (temple) and Kao Krajom in Suan Phueng.

There is a navigable route from Suan Phueng to Bong Ti which is the start point for Kao Pa Noi. It passes the new border crossing and is a fantastic ride perfect for a dual sport...

• Like 1

From Sisawat cross on the ferry to Huay Mae Kamin and ride through Pha Sawan (Sawan hill). If you are up for a serious challenge then Kao Pa Noi or Kao Dam (temple) and Kao Krajom in Suan Phueng.

There is a navigable route from Suan Phueng to Bong Ti which is the start point for Kao Pa Noi. It passes the new border crossing and is a fantastic ride perfect for a dual sport...

Cheers,

Done Khao Krajom on the Versys with the Dunlops on, how does Kao Pa Noi compare.

3199 up to Erawan, go past Erawan and around the lake up there is really nice.

I was going to go to Hell's Pass before but came across a big immigration check point, as I didn't have my passport on me I decided to turn back, didn't want to get fined or any hassle - anyone ever had problems at this check point?

I went through the checkpoint on the 323 in a car last weekend. They stopped me and asked where I was going (I was going from Baan Ricky's back towards Kanchanaburi) so I told him 'Kanchanaburi' and he just let me go. I didn't have my passport but he never asked, on that route I think they're after Burmese workers being smuggled in rather than farang on day trips.

The 3199 up to the dam is a nice road, I'll probably ride that again in the next month or so...

Kao Pa Noi is somewhat longer a route and has no accommodation at the top. I've driven both in Landys and ridden KPN on my 650GS during a full-on storm! There are some slightly more technical sections on KPN; I hear the last climb to the top of KK has been tidied up... When I drove up I grounded my axles out as the ruts were carved by 36" tires and I run on 32s. I had to climb up the top of the ridges which put the car over 30º as well as back close to 40! Nice finish to day. There is on 300m climb with no place to stop or lose momentum. When I rode it there were wash-out ruts that were pretty deep as the run was around 25º or more for 300 meters or so. We took 11 1200 GS, 2 KTM 990, one 650GS and two Polaris up three years back. I've not been since on 2-wheels...

There is a fork in the road at the BPP station. Left climbs to KPN and straight goes to Kao Dam where there is a temple with a bunch of international monks. If you have an existential crisis on the way, head straight! They will sort you out!

That route has more rocks than KPN which is more mud and washed out road. The final climb to the hill fort has two routes; hard left for a 40º or more traction test to the top, straight for some deep ruts and 50cm of water! Something for all!

I have Anakee 3s on at the moment and mud is not their strentgh. I rode KPN with TKC 80s and they were just great! Anyhow, that is my excuse for not asking to join you...

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Done Khao Krajom on the Versys with the Dunlops on, how does Kao Pa Noi compare.

• Like 1

Kao Pa Noi is somewhat longer a route and has no accommodation at the top. I've driven both in Landys and ridden KPN on my 650GS during a full-on storm! There are some slightly more technical sections on KPN; I hear the last climb to the top of KK has been tidied up... When I drove up I grounded my axles out as the ruts were carved by 36" tires and I run on 32s. I had to climb up the top of the ridges which put the car over 30º as well as back close to 40! Nice finish to day. There is on 300m climb with no place to stop or lose momentum. When I rode it there were wash-out ruts that were pretty deep as the run was around 25º or more for 300 meters or so. We took 11 1200 GS, 2 KTM 990, one 650GS and two Polaris up three years back. I've not been since on 2-wheels...

There is a fork in the road at the BPP station. Left climbs to KPN and straight goes to Kao Dam where there is a temple with a bunch of international monks. If you have an existential crisis on the way, head straight! They will sort you out!

That route has more rocks than KPN which is more mud and washed out road. The final climb to the hill fort has two routes; hard left for a 40º or more traction test to the top, straight for some deep ruts and 50cm of water! Something for all!

I have Anakee 3s on at the moment and mud is not their strentgh. I rode KPN with TKC 80s and they were just great! Anyhow, that is my excuse for not asking to join you...

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Thanks,

I'm willing to give anything ago, but not sure the Versys is up to the tougher stuff. Need to stick a bash-plate on before I tackle that! As I mentioned I did KJ on road tires and went as far as the little river crossing before turning back. I've been to the top a few times in a 4x4. I think the first couple of corners are the trickiest bit for bikes as it's almost loose gravel and very steep, so I had to lock rear to keep control on the way back as the front would have gone. I've since put Scorpion Trails on but I don't rate them that high to be honest and should have gone with my instinct and bought the K60 Scouts. One of my colleagues prefers tarmac so we'll have to keep it pretty easy for the moment.

Thanks

• Like 1

3199 up to Erawan, go past Erawan and around the lake up there is really nice.

I was going to go to Hell's Pass before but came across a big immigration check point, as I didn't have my passport on me I decided to turn back, didn't want to get fined or any hassle - anyone ever had problems at this check point?

Been passing many times, never been stopped on motorbike. Think they only stop mostly buses, mini bus and taxis.

But....

I allways have my passport when i go that way

Huay mae khamin waterfalls which are 60Km after Erawan are amazing. So much better than the Erawan crowded with foreigners, specially Russian.

To get there will pass by some serious twistie roads which I really loved.

I have not explored past Huay mae khamin by bike, only by car with friends, there are more inaccessible waterfalls and at the border with Burma there are some aweseme spots.

• Like 1

Did you do Sisawat route to Sinakarin dam lake? Nice curves, some trails, a ferry journey accross the lake and good scenery. You can rent a boat house with mates and have fun and swim.

No, but I think we will take a look. Had a gander on google images. Looks quite interesting!

Huay mae khamin waterfalls which are 60Km after Erawan are amazing. So much better than the Erawan crowded with foreigners, specially Russian.

To get there will pass by some serious twistie roads which I really loved.

I have not explored past Huay mae khamin by bike, only by car with friends, there are more inaccessible waterfalls and at the border with Burma there are some aweseme spots.

Thanks, I'll look into this as avoiding tourist areas is a must. Cheers

Anyone did the ride before in 1 day?

Bkk-Kanchanaburi-3199 towards sisawat-cross the lake by ferry and back again to bkk?

Google tells me it's about 530km total so it should be possible but also in a sorta like relaxing pace? Some stops to enjoy the senery, lunch, coffee etc.

I work 6 days a week so multiple day trips are difficult to plan.