Al Jazeera bemoans “heavy-handed” crackdown on illegal vendors in Phuket

george

I've been in-country for well over a decade and never visited Phuket figuring it's more same-same as Pattaya beach area: spoiled with those damned vendors and their chairs all over the sand. The beaches in the AJ report look rather inviting now. Heck, I may go for a visit after all...

If that was the intended outcome, then bravo! It is working.

Although highlighting the problems of trade on the beaches, I thought the focus was on fulfilling the promise to get the people jobs?

The beaches look as though they could do with a good clean up.

I was there just after the tsunami; we found a lot of the vendors even on the side of the roads were paying mafia gangs to operate.

Just getting rid of people off the beaches and streets don't solve the problem. The character of the beach has changed, locals go to these areas to for work, send money back to mum and dad and the kids. Good to get rid of the ratbag maggots, but the local pineapple and watermelon seller looses.

So what happens now, no one on the beach to sell cheap cold fruit/drink. Have to go to hotel and pay higher price?

It seemed to be a fairly reasonable and accurate video report. Not sure I see any "bemoaning". I blame the vendors far less than the government officials who fostered and encouraged it while lining their pockets with cash. This country has run on corruptions for years and years so the vendors were only going with the flow of how things worked. It's the government officials who are the true criminals here.

I agree with what was done in the cleanup, but not how it was done. It's hard for me not to sympathize with these vendors who were given virtually no time at all to plan and look for another way to make a living. Now the Thai government has created a situation where a large numbers of Thai families have no livelihood. These families were just working inside a corrupt system the government has allowed for years.

Edited by oneday

A. J. is right on target here as the Thai officials sending in " Storm Troopers " to demolish small vendors stalls, some in business for 40 or 50 years, is a disgrace. Having the legal right to do something doesn't mean you must do it, especially in that fashion. There were several, reasonable solutions, pleasing everyone but authorities chose the wrong route -- brute force ,and should be condemned for doing so !

• Like 2

I don't understand why people are bashing Al Jazeera here. Did we watch the same news story? I saw one that didn't favour either side in reporting the situation but only gave a factual account of it. They haven't "bemoaned" it or indicated that it's "heavy-handed" and use of those terms is misleading, to say the least.

I'm afraid that many people, especially those from the UK and USA have been brainwashed to believe that Al Jazeera is a voice of propaganda for Muslims. That's not true from what I've seen, and I've watch the network for years. As far as quality and credibility in journalism goes, it's miles above some ridiculously right-winged US networks like FOX, and people who believe that BBC is the voice of truth, should assess that assumption carefully. I understand that in the USA "the land of the free" (where you can be dragged out of your home, under the Patriot Act, and be detained indefinitely with no formal charges made, no rights to legal representation, or no outside contact) Al Jazeera isn't allowed to be broadcast through FCC regulated TV networks. People should really question why their government would do so much to prevent its citizens from access to another viewpoint of the world.

When you attack broad sections of the population at least have the cover of being correct; you look foolish otherwise.

Your post is drivel, disguised as mature musing. You turn an observation about Al Jazzera into UK and US bashing, you work in your concept of the anti al jazzera by... attacking a media network that represents the majority views of Americans (as consistently shown in ratings) You do this in comparison to this jihad station owned by the greatest financier of terrorism in the world? You say more about you than you do the US and UK whom you disdain.

You indict the American population who have nothing to do with Thai beaches or AJ. Perhaps the US and UK are much more informed than you. Perhaps others realize Al jazzera is the product of the Thani family and Qatar proper (the ones who fund Hamas MB and IS). Perhaps they realize that al jazzera has two faces (taqiyya) and says one thing in muslim lands and other things to kafir on the international channels. Some apologists for al jazzera note how independent al jazzera international is. Poppycock.

AJ is the media arm of islamic jihad. All they had to do was put it in suit and tie, and you didn't notice.

Although highlighting the problems of trade on the beaches, I thought the focus was on fulfilling the promise to get the people jobs?

I was there just after the tsunami; we found a lot of the vendors even on the side of the roads were paying mafia gangs to operate.

Just getting rid of people off the beaches and streets don't solve the problem. The character of the beach has changed, locals go to these areas to for work, send money back to mum and dad and the kids. Good to get rid of the ratbag maggots, but the local pineapple and watermelon seller looses.

So what happens now, no one on the bieach to sell cheap cold fruit/drink. Have to go to hotel and pay higher price?

They should not be ON the beach, but can operate nearby. Perhaps lazy people don't like to walk 50 meters extra and would prefer to support organized crime like before. Think about it.

Edited by BestBitterPhuket
  • Like 1

A. J. is right on target here as the Thai officials sending in " Storm Troopers " to demolish small vendors stalls, some in business for 40 or 50 years, is a disgrace. Having the legal right to do something doesn't mean you must do it, especially in that fashion. There were several, reasonable solutions, pleasing everyone but authorities chose the wrong route -- brute force ,and should be condemned for doing so !

Just let them go on breaking the law then?

Go and set up some illegal vending operations on the waterfront in Qatar and see how nicely they treat you.

Usual aljazeera propoganda, paving the way for bigger headline stories and will no doubt be justifying why people perform criminal acts whilst 'under oppression'. Nothing coming out of Qatar can be any good and they can stuff their planes in future.

Israels taking a nap- right now so they need to focus on the South of Thailand, hoping to spot something that they can construe as racism against the muslim population no doubt.

You can understand the vendors, even if not sympathise with them. They are not used to laws being policed, so are indeed shocked at the sudden changes under the new regime.

That said, I love Al Jazeera. Best news source on the planet. You'll never get CNN or Fox or the BBC to cover such small human interest stories. Al Jazeera does more on non-Euro news than anyone. In the last few days I have seen reports from Africa, the Carribean, South America, Eastern Europe and China. And they are far more balanced about news than any of the propaganda channels foisted on us in the "free" world.

I presume you have never watch Aljazeera during any of the Israeli/Palestinian conflicts.

Their anti-Israeli bias is palpable.

You can understand the vendors, even if not sympathise with them. They are not used to laws being policed, so are indeed shocked at the sudden changes under the new regime.

That said, I love Al Jazeera. Best news source on the planet. You'll never get CNN or Fox or the BBC to cover such small human interest stories. Al Jazeera does more on non-Euro news than anyone. In the last few days I have seen reports from Africa, the Carribean, South America, Eastern Europe and China. And they are far more balanced about news than any of the propaganda channels foisted on us in the "free" world.

I presume you have never watch Aljazeera during any of the Israeli/Palestinian conflicts.

Yes, just as the Fox pro-Israel bias is palpable.

• Like 1

So what happens now, no one on the bieach to sell cheap cold fruit/drink. Have to go to hotel and pay higher price?

They should not be ON the beach, but can operate nearby. Perhaps lazy people don't like to walk 50 meters extra and would prefer to support organized crime like before. Think about it.

Who said anything about supporting organised crime?

Crime families are maggots, as I said in my post.

Maybe better to read the post to understand what is being said?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I don't understand why people are bashing Al Jazeera here. Did we watch the same news story? I saw one that didn't favour either side in reporting the situation but only gave a factual account of it. They haven't "bemoaned" it or indicated that it's "heavy-handed" and use of those terms is misleading, to say the least.

You nailed it. Whoever created that title was deliberately trying to mislead the viewing audience. A lot of people generally consider Al Jazeera to be fairly unbiased in their reporting. I have never seen anything to counter that sentiment and I'm American.

If I resort to any major media sources it's RT and AJ. The rest are rubbish.

BTW, this 'throwing people out of work' line is getting a tad tiring. I mean, there were a fraction of that amount working the beaches to start with but then, in true Thai fashion, everyone jumped in to rent out loungers/massage people. Where was it all supposed to end? You couldn't possibly have shoehorned in just one more lounger/drinks stand at Nai Harn blink.png

Ever media outlet has it's own bias. So long as the viewer/reader of these media outlets is aware of that bias then live and let live.

"AJ is the media arm of islamic jihad. All they had to do was put it in suit and tie, and you didn't notice."---arunadawn

Just stay on the medication arunadawn, -----& don't let it bother you that everyone ignores your posts.....................w00t.gifw00t.gif

• Like 2

Ever media outlet has it's own bias. So long as the viewer/reader of these media outlets is aware of that bias then live and let live.

Fox news followers being aware of the bias? I'll wait for the bacon rain.

pigs_flying.jpg