Thai police hunt killers of two Britons found beaten to death

webfact

The 'used' condom holds all the evidence, assuming it wasn't used 3 months ago bah.gif .... don't lose it guys or throw it into the bin as beach garbage..... facepalm.gif

That should have been the first thing to be analysed... so let's assume it is right now, and not the post-haste-mortem. coffee1.gif

They may well find any semen belongs to the victim...Never heard of Burmese workers using condoms during a rape.

• Like 1

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i dont think this will scar the islands reputation,it may do the opposite as the youth today seek adventure, and an island with a reputation of danger and murder,throw in a haunting and a few ghost sightings and it will only draw more that seek that style of night life..sawasdee (NO CRAP).

Hunt for killers of British pair goes on after Thai police free Myanmar suspects

by Preeti JHA

BANGKOK, September 16, 2014 (AFP) - Thai police Tuesday ruled out three Myanmar workers in connection with the murder of two young British tourists, as Thailand's military ruler appeared to call into question the "behaviour" of the victims themselves.

The bodies of David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, arrived in Bangkok late Tuesday for forensic examination.

They were found naked and beaten to death early Monday near a beachside bungalow on the island, a diving hot-spot near Koh Phangan in the Gulf of Thailand.

A bloodied hoe was discovered 35 metres (yards) from the murder scene.
Three male Myanmar migrant workers were held for questioning but ruled out of the probe on Tuesday afternoon, southern regional police commander Panya Maman told AFP.

"They were very far from the scene... it was probably not them," he said, adding DNA samples had been collected from the men.
He did not give details of any further leads as the manhunt on the small, normally tranquil island stretched into a second day without an arrest.

Police have also cleared a number of British tourists who travelled with the victims of any involvement in the killings.
Earlier Tuesday local television showed Thai authorities searching several shacks belonging to Myanmar migrants on Koh Tao.

Migrants from Myanmar and Cambodia are frequently accused of committing crimes in the kingdom, where they make up a vast, poorly-paid and low-status workforce.
- 'Affected our image' -

On Tuesday Thai junta chief and prime minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha appeared to call into question the victims' conduct in addition to the perpetrators of the attack.

"We have to look into the behaviour of the other party too because this kind of incident should not happen to anybody and it has affected our image," he told reporters, referring to the two tourists.

Thai authorities were working "swiftly" to find the killers, he added.

Koh Tao, home to stunning white sand beaches and azure waters, is popular with divers but is smaller and more laid-back than neighbouring Koh Phangan -- which draws hordes of backpackers to its hedonistic "full moon" party.

Speaking later Prayut said Thais must tell "tourists when the safe times are to be outside, we have to help them understand."
Police earlier said the pair had been seen partying at a local bar just hours before they died.

Thailand will be desperate to avoid further damage to the nation's lucrative tourism industry, which has been battered in recent months after a prolonged political crisis ended in a coup.

The army swiftly blanketed the country with a curfew and strict martial law, frightening off visitors.
Although the curfew was soon lifted from key tourist hotspots, visitor numbers have yet to rebound and martial law remains in place.

Military leaders have vowed to restore the nation's reputation as the "Land of Smiles" with a clean-up targeting tourist resorts after a series of complaints about scams, assaults and even police extortion.

Britain says Thailand is the country where its citizens are second most likely to require consular assistance if they visit, behind the Philippines.

There were 389 deaths of British nationals in Thailand in the year to March 2013 -- about one for every 2,400 British visitors or residents -- although that figure includes natural causes.

But it is rare for tourists to be murdered in Thailand, although it is not uncommon for visitors to die accidentally.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-09-16

So the Burmese workers have been ruled out.....who's next?

This is frightening, though.

There were 389 deaths of British nationals in Thailand in the year to March 2013 -- about one for every 2,400 British visitors or residents -- although that figure includes natural causes. Isn't that rate higher than the likelihood dying in a plane crash?

On Tuesday Thai junta chief and prime minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha appeared to call into question the victims' conduct in addition to the perpetrators of the attack.

"We have to look into the behaviour of the other party too because this kind of incident should not happen to anybody and it has affected our image," he told reporters, referring to the two tourists.

These comments left me to ponder - what kind of behaviour by the young British couple would have given the murderers a "licence to kill".

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

Britain says Thailand is the country where its citizens are second most likely to require consular assistance if they visit

. . . and least likely to get it, if the Consulate's reputation for taking a "hands off" approach to Brits in trouble in Thailand is anything to go by.

• Like 2

2 facts not mentioned in any reports.

The crime scene is a stone's throw from the islands police station. Come out the police station, turn left and walk straight down the road for about 50 meters and you arrive at the crime scene. Any noise,screaming,shouting would easily be heard at the police station, providing there was somebody there and the tv volume wasn't cranked up.

The police have been busy extorting tourists in recent days, likely leaving the station unattended. I know this because I was rudely stopped while riding a scooter and an imposing physical search was carried out by a group of 5 policemen on the 14th. Police on Koh Tao like to find small offences that they can use to blackmail tourists for large amounts of cash, such as visa issues, small amounts of prohibited substances. If anything changes as a result of this crime, I hope all Koh Tao police will be changed for real police.

You obviously know the island; at what time in the morning would it be possible to take a ferry to flee?

There is a mention of a man having fled to Bangkok. Also that the Island was sealed off.

Puzzled.

There used to be fishermen who would take one at any time of day or night. I did it once.

Is that really sound police work, eliminating all Thais because they can't believe a Thai could do such a thing? I still can't get out of my mind the Russian stabbed 7 times in the chest and the police called a suicide. Karma has come to Thailand. It has arrived.

That would seem to be what is going on here.,,try to lay the blame on foreigners and even the victims, because this should not happen in Thailand.

It's pretty sad when saving face and the image of tourism becomes the primary concern in such an horrific murder case.

I really hope the victims's family aren't reading all this Thai media crap.

They are... I listen to BBC radio 2 and on every news break they are talking about it.... they mentioned 2 hours ago about the unlikeliness of any Myanmar labor being involved and also mentioned the ridiculous statement that Police were interrogating Myanmar labor folks because there is no way a Thai person could do something so atrocious... they are getting all the bits and pieces of rubbish being put out there by Thailand medias

• Like 1

I dont believe the migrant worker story for a minute - I have to be honest in what i think - they were drunk having sex and Thai people didnt like it and killed them. I also think it should be considered that the third foreigner is dead. I know my country and dont hide any feelings for what the people i it are capable of!

Why do you think they were drunk?

And if - would it be important?

Would that make it right they were murdered?

I will not comment the rest of your post

Speaking later Prayut said Thais must tell "tourists when the safe times are to be outside, we have to help them understand."

Police earlier said the pair had been seen partying at a local bar just hours before they died.

We encourage you to stay indoors during the killing hours ?

If it's not safe then make it safe...

Says it all really. What is this a zombie movie? I mean what the hell has happened to that country?

• Like 1

Just watched a BBC news report on these disgusting murders and the reporter was quite incredulous that when he had asked a "local police chief" why they had arrested 3 Myanmar migrant workers he had been told that "they probably had something to do with it" and that he "could not imagine a Thai ever committing such a terrible crime"!

His comment was something to the effect that it hardly showed an open mind on the part of the police.

Just another well-publicised foot-shot by Thailand for the rest of the world to wonder at.

"could not imagine a Thai ever committing such a terrible crime"

A recent examination of violent sexual history in Thailand would start with a 4 year raped, murdered and dumped into a sewer drain. Then not so many weeks ago a 15 year old was raped murdered and tossed out the window of a train. Shall we continue....going back?

Regarding that twit of a journalist who covers Asian affairs... The Nation should offer him a job. I hate the guy but it would be a big improvement.

Edited by Local Drunk
  • Like 1

Regarding that twit of a journalist who covers Asian affairs... The Nation should offer him a job. I hate the guy but it would be a big improvement

Be fair.

Jonathan Head (for it was he) was simply reporting factually what the Thai police told him; when pressed by the studio talking head, he then added off his own bat that he thought this instant blanket exoneration of all Thais was not at all "open-minded". That's about as far as he is able to go on camera.

so it is now up to blame the tourists for their own death ?

what is this ? the moral police ... couple having sex and some locals do not want to see that and deceide to whack them ???

Edited by belg

Could be any national but it is striking only foreigners are current suspects. Far too much "its them" since this tragedy happened

No point blaming foreign workers from Myanmar or anywhere else and trying to pass off its not Thailand's responsibility, even if it does turn out to be a non Thai the Thais employ them, they don't care what background or history people have as long as they come cheap. Ultimately Thailand is responsible for tourists safety in Thailand, and they totally failed these two people.

This is an extremely high profile incident in the UK and The British government will no doubt be taking a keen interest and quite possibly will want to substantiate any DNA matched to any suspects before its rushed through any courts. I don't think this time a half baked rush job on any patsy will cut it or be accepted by HM Gov and nor should it.

Another armchair Sherlock dispensing wisdom and knowledge.

Im sure the press in the UK will be real understanding with that line..... facepalm.gif

• Like 1

The first boat left at 6:00 am the police where informed at 6:30, even though a police station was 200 meters away.

The killer probably left the island on the 6:00 am ferry.

All the police do is extort tourists, extort business owners and collect money that they don't even deserve.!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Put there with Pattaya and Phuket another dump for me to avoid for life.p

This is the picture of them that has been released, is it me or does this not look like them?.....This looks like a Westerner and a Thai....look at the difference in body sizes and the colour of her hair?

post-65233-0-80202900-1410875221_thumb.j

Edited by kjhbigv
  • Like 2

Thai Junta chief calls into question the victims conduct? I'd like to know what his reasoning is for that statement. Maybe he means that two tourists from good backgrounds should not be enjoying themselves when on holiday. Maybe its time for them to bring in a curfew that explicitly bans tourists from being out after dark. At least they would still be alive in that scenario, but St. Ives would seem to be a better bet for a holiday. At least you could pretty much guarantee you'd be going home after your holiday and not to a morgue.

Im sure the press in the UK will be real understanding with that line..... facepalm.gif

If you are a realist, not an idealist, as you quote and if you have lived in Thailand for any length of time, you will know face!

A few weeks back it was sand kicking on Koh Larm and it was all a migrant workers' fault; not who employed him, told him (ordered him) to remove the lady.

Any further action; no it was not a Thai!

Now do not get me wrong, I love Thai, my wife and son are Thai. When my wife heard the news on television that it was not a Thai kicking sand, she told me. I asked her who employed an illegal immigrant?

• Like 2

No its not about face, that is just an excuse its just a very stupid untactful thing to say as a new world leader or as his first real international incidents public response.... .... it wont help his personal image or Thailands with that attitude

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1

Even allowing for translation difficulties , some of these statements from Thai authorities are pretty shocking. The world is watching dear General and the world will be the judge. I think this will have a major impact on tourism , not just the murders but the Thai response to them.

• Like 2