You Know You've Made It When....?

sakaew

As The Pattaya Mail's Thwarted Lover's column pointed out some time ago...many falang are not entirely sure whether they are loved and respected by their Tws...or used.

Some 3 or 4 years into my relationship...my wife remarked that since her brother did not conform to the accepted Thai behaviour pattern--i.e. he failed to get regular work--his nickname would hence forth be "Sh*thead"..

When her sister decided to forego responsibility to the family ..she was allocated a similarly disparaging nickname.

Does my being privy to the family's inner sanctum of approbation vis-a-vis other family members mean..I've been accepted??

( I wonder what MY nickname is???

hahahah )

Village Thais may be a bit blunt...but usually they're accurate in summing up people

how about you?

when did YOU feel..you had "made it"?

As The Pattaya Mail's Thwarted Lover's column pointed out some time ago...many falang are not entirely sure whether they are loved and respected by their Tws...or used.

Some 3 or 4 years into my relationship...my wife remarked that since her brother did not conform to the accepted Thai behaviour pattern--i.e. he failed to get regular work--his nickname would hence forth be "Sh*thead"..

When her sister decided to forego responsibility to the family ..she was allocated a similarly disparaging nickname.

Does my being privy to the family's inner sanctum of approbation vis-a-vis other family members mean..I've been accepted??

( I wonder what MY nickname is???

hahahah )

Village Thais may be a bit blunt...but usually they're accurate in summing up people

how about you?

when did YOU feel..you had "made it"?

I still don't know and I still don't care (regarding family members), as far as I know...I am like a foruneteller when they call us, I know they need money since the moment I see their name on my phone...I'm only answering to know if they need 1000 or 1500. As for the rest of the thai people...I don't know...my guess is that they don't really respect farangs...

I have never understood why some people hand out and hand out to the extended family. Give them nothing unless you are sure they will pay back. I am lucky the wifes family ask for nothing. But unless its her mum or dad then they would get ###### all. But you cant give what you dont have.ie ###### all.

My wifes family has never asked me for any money, but has offered to lend me money many times. My mother in law just offered to lend us the money to renovate one of the bathrooms, and just said pay it back whenever you get the chance.

I probably wont take up the offer, but never the less...

So far i've never been asked by any Thai if they can borrow anything.

My wifes family has never asked me for any money, but has offered to lend me money many times. My mother in law just offered to lend us the money to renovate one of the bathrooms, and just said pay it back whenever you get the chance.

I probably wont take up the offer, but never the less...

So far i've never been asked by any Thai if they can borrow anything.

Where do you live? I might consider moving there too :o

Likewise, never been asked for money from my Thai family (except the wife of course :o ). I have bought things and paid for things, but all without being asked (and these were things I thought they needed - or once a 'fine' (read 'get out of jail not-so-free card') for my brother-in-law who was caught riding without a helmet, again).

Again, likewise, they have bought things for me - granted to a small scale (amulets, food when they've been shopping , ornaments etc) - but thats fine by me, I'd only get embarassed otherwise.

My uncle-in-law once sold me some land because he was desperate, but I paid less than it was worth, so just a business transaction really.

My Father in law and i were out one time looking at a condominium project and as we aproached his new Merc 500SL he asked me if i wanted to smoke a cigarette before we got in the car, i said yes and then he proceded to ask me if i could 'loan' him one. Well alarm bells started ringing in my head at this point, but having read all the great advice from other forum members here i decided to say that i would realy like to but im sorry im unable to as i would not like to put him in the awkward position of not being able to pay me back at a later date and all the problems that could lead to.

Anyway i slipped the 20 pack of Marlboro lights back in my shirt pocket and never heard any more about it, on the journey back home, sitting in the passanger seat of his car i was thinking how lucky i was that i had read this site before he asked me.

My nickname is Haa baht, but i dont know why they call me this.

My Father in law and i were out one time looking at a condominium project and as we aproached his new Merc 500SL he asked me if i wanted to smoke a cigarette before we got in the car, i said yes and then he proceded to ask me if i could 'loan' him one. Well alarm bells started ringing in my head at this point, but having read all the great advice from other forum members here i decided to say that i would realy like to but im sorry im unable to as i would not like to put him in the awkward position of not being able to pay me back at a later date and all the problems that could lead to.

Anyway i slipped the 20 pack of Marlboro lights back in my shirt pocket and never heard any more about it, on the journey back home, sitting in the passanger seat of his car i was thinking how lucky i was that i had read this site before he asked me.

:o:D

totster :D

when I married...the deal was that I would give my wife's mother 20k baht per month to cover all the family expenses, ie., school uniforms, emergency medical and etc. for 4 brothers and a sister. They all work so OK.

in exchange, my wife is to 'look after me'. Thus far...good. I have been absorbed into the family and when I am in Thailand I am like royalty. (I fall asleep alone and when I wake late afternoon there are sleeping children layered over the bed in a protective posture...)

in the meantime I bought a house to accommodate most everyone - duplex shop house - as there are a number of kids that stay with the mother-in-law a lot of the time. The wife coordinates and everyone is cool. Before they lived in mud squalor in a tin shack above a rice paddy...there is no gratitude...just a quiet acknowlegement that things are better than before...

I can see the children growing up with strength and confidence..what more to ask?

(tutsi...you are a terminal, self aggrandising s.......why don't you shut up?...)

As Wolf & Dave111223...Never been asked for anything.

Nor has it been inferred.

To the point of wondering "Yai must want something?"

Even though Yai (a tad worried) knew I walked around the village (at night) with ThBt500,000 in my combats...

Until I heard talk of "Yai's house will float away when the rains get here!"

(An area of land she sold off, to the front of the house, would hold water)

Bought the land back...and the plot in front.

Built a three winged, Traditional styled Bharn Thai.

500 lorryloads of infill to make the land as flat as a billiard/pool table.

Was going to get a boat and "moor" it to a post, out front.

Just so people would ask

"Why?"

Was told

"that would be rude"

Did it for the crack! Have had some Massive parties there.

As it's "up in the hills". Late night taxidrivers think they've driven into the village Wat!

Nickname...Keeneow. Mr Sticky Money (In good jest)

Not particularly original, I know.

:o:D

totster :D

:D:D:D:D:D:D

:D aaaaaa

...there is no gratitude...just a quiet acknowlegement that things are better than before...

I can see the children growing up with strength and confidence..what more to ask?

My experience almost exactly. You say it very well. :o

TH

When I first came to Thailand we had a next door neighbor whe referred to me as her big brother. She has since moved away but I overheard her talking to my wife on the phone the other day.

"Who is Toon calling Leung?" I asked my wife after the call.

"You!" She replied. "Toon always called you leung." :D

Somehow big brother sounded a lot better than 'uncle'! :o

Wolf 5370... Keeneow (Cold shit) How right you are.

Not in my circles, though.

Anyone using this sort of language would be asked to leave.

Very quietly but very sternly.

Just as "Dark ling" should not be confused with "Darling"...

Kee now (Poo- cold/chilled)

Now as in "Aircon...Now!" (Too cold!)

Kee Yen (Poo- Icy)

Yen as in "Beer Yen" (Cold beer)

Neow (Sticky,claggy)

as

Khow Neow

However you want to spell Rice in a phonetic language translated into many different western vowel sounds etc,etc...

(Sticky Rice)

The babies keep coming and the phrases "Men KEE! Men, Wa!"...get rolled out again. (Baby=Kee)

Between TV posters I can see what you mean Wolf5370

I appreciate your font of knowledge being overturned...

In a Thai village, in the hills, at night...

It serves to illustrate how Khun Farang can lose the old rag, courtesy of "blocked ears"...

I first posted on this site because a British neighbour completely ****ed up and got himself killed.

Nickname...

Khun Ba.

Don't really have a Thai nickname - everyone calls me by my first name, except the Mrs who calls me "Babe", "Darling" or "Tee Ruk".

Hope you didn't take offence Postie, I was commenting on transliteration and having a bit of fun :o

when I married...the deal was that I would give my wife's mother 20k baht per month to cover all the family expenses, ie., school uniforms, emergency medical and etc. for 4 brothers and a sister. They all work so OK.

in exchange, my wife is to 'look after me'. Thus far...good. I have been absorbed into the family and when I am in Thailand I am like royalty. (I fall asleep alone and when I wake late afternoon there are sleeping children layered over the bed in a protective posture...)

in the meantime I bought a house to accommodate most everyone - duplex shop house - as there are a number of kids that stay with the mother-in-law a lot of the time. The wife coordinates and everyone is cool. Before they lived in mud squalor in a tin shack above a rice paddy...there is no gratitude...just a quiet acknowlegement that things are better than before...

(tutsi...you are a terminal, self aggrandising s.......why don't you shut up?...)

How much do you give your wife per month? You don't live full-time in Thailand now? Correct? If you don't live in Thailand, how do you know the brothers are working?