Internet almost at a standstill.

petedk

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IndoThai gave above a link to information from Vietnam. This is similar information from Malaysia:

"Unfortunately, those wishing for a speedy resolution on the matter will be disappointed to know that restoration works on the AAG submarine cable is only expected to start on Wednesday, 1 October 2014, and may only be fully completed on Monday, 6 October."

http://www.lowyat.net/2014/09/fault-in-aag-submarine-cable-causes-massive-internet-slowdown-across-southeast-asia/

"The fault appears to be located in the cable connecting Vung Tau (a coastal city in southern Vietnam) and Hong Kong, where the incident was recorded to take place at about 11:41pm on Monday (September 15)."

Uploads to my website are not getting through even though I get message "directory listing successful". I have sent message to my host provider Just Host which are unanswered & right now cannot even get on live chat with them. Not sure if it is all related but never had problems with Just Host before.

Notice we are never offered a discount or refund by Thai companies when things are not 100% ...they still want 100% of the money.

FWIW, in the past, whenever my True Cable service has gone down for a day or more, I've always asked for a refund/rebate when handling the technical support/repair ticket. And MOST of the time, they've ended up giving a credit on my next monthly bill.

But, you have to ASK, and be persistent. No, they'll never offer or volunteer anything.

PS - I'm getting pretty good VPN connections through Singapore still, right now.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Uploads to my website are not getting through even though I get message "directory listing successful". I have sent message to my host provider Just Host which are unanswered & right now cannot even get on live chat with them. Not sure if it is all related but never had problems with Just Host before.

Fixed it. My mistake.

Seems to be an issue with True right now. Just ran a pathping and am showing very high packet loss at the international gateway:

10 tig-net245-6.trueintergateway.com (113.21.245.6) 256.946 ms * 259.896 ms * 257.340 ms 259.624 ms 258.733 ms * 256.404 ms 252.964 ms 259.439 ms * 256.432 ms 254.749 ms 256.583 ms 258.105 ms 258.684 ms 258.430 ms 259.144 ms 258.764 ms 255.389 ms 255.405 ms 255.515 ms 255.715 ms 256.076 ms 260.709 ms 255.584 ms 258.185 ms 255.275 ms 258.427 ms (13% loss)
11 tig-net245-14.trueintergateway.com (113.21.245.14) 254.944 ms * 257.800 ms * 255.691 ms * * * * * * 253.484 ms * * * * * * 253.903 ms * 258.031 ms * * 255.810 ms * * * * 257.251 ms * (73% loss)

same here on true internet "not received any data" or "connection reset" errors which means lost packages...

True has nearly crawled to a stop for me. I have Witopia VPN, and when connecting to a Singapore server, the results are not much better. Connecting to a USA server yields decent speed. If the broken cable between Vietnam and Hong Kong is the reason, then why is my connection to Singapore poor, while my connection to USA is good?

There is a backup international cable with less bandwidth. All traffic has been switched to that pending repair of the main undersea cable. There is far less international bandwidth available so I would say that isp's are throttling back international bandwidth to individual subscribers and allocating all the international bandwidth to corporate subscribers as that's where they make the most of their money.

If true is worse than other thai isp's then it's because they are throttling the public non corporate international bandwidth back more than others. I woukd guess the reason why using a Singapore VPN works better with true at the moment is because there is nothing wrong with the cable from Thailand to Singapore and a Singapore VPN would probably be a corporate subscriber in Singapore and have priority access to bandwidth.

True really does suck. I am a true subscriber and the only way I could post this message was to setup a personal hotspot from my phone which is AIS to my iPad to get any internet access at all.

• Like 1

I'm getting close to zero bandwidth at the moment with a direct connection to True. But I am getting decent bandwidth connecting with VPN using a Witopia server in the USA. I am still getting very little bandwidth using their Singapore VPN server.

If things do not improve, this is all going to hit very hard when business opens tomorrow.

Strange thing is, I seem to have a lot more channels open on my True Visions.... I have a True Online package which includes 'Free' True visions, but one of their more basic (Enjoy) selections. But I can now watch BBC World News and many HBO/Film channels which were not available when I had it put in.

Perhaps they are trying to pre-empt my stomping into their office tomorrow demanding a refund for my relatively new internet package which is now near useless!

I have found this thread quite useful and informative, a pity I have wasted so much effort prior to getting educated, and probably now trying to get this message across.

I spoke to True today, CAT under ocean cable from Thailand to Hong Kong damaged by storms, expected to be fixed by 17th October!!!

So why is only True experiencing problems?

What a load of #$/^_^$@@^

Its not only True

3BB has been very slow for the last few days

Sometimes it takes 2-3 times for the page to properly display or display at all

• Like 1

Strange thing is, I seem to have a lot more channels open on my True Visions....

This is an annual promotion where TrueVisions opens all their channels, for about a week, to try and get customers, like myself on Gold, to upgrade their account.

I haven't seen any slowing of my TrueH 3G connection over the last few days, just completed a speed test at 18Mb down and 7.5 up which is normal for me here in the rice paddies of Udon Thani.

True seems back to normal now, no reloading of pages and speed seems as good as it was before.

I agree, speeds nearly back to normal.

What service are you using? True DOCSIS?

Edited by GarryP

It is faster now. I just did a speed test to USA and 0.99 Mbps compared with 0.5 the other day.

Nowhere near the 16 Mbps I am paying for.

First of all, this kind of "speed test" are useless. Real life speed and latency is the most important.

What you are paying for, is a link between your Internet provider and yourself of 16 Mbps. What happens between the ISP and the rest of the world is not their responsibility alone.

Most of Thailand's international capacity are funneled through Singapore. And those links don't carry enough bandwidth to serve all of the Internet users in Thailand a continuous speed of 16 Mbps.

The next thing is routing. Some IP-addresses might be routed different than others, even though they have a close physical proximity. So some sites can respond faster than others, even they are located in the same country or city.

I see that every day, when I connect to different VPN's around Europe to do my work. Sometimes servers in Europe are even routed through the US, with the result of very high latency and slow speed.

Latency is more important than download speed alone. Every time you access a website, the browser have to ask the web server about what files to download. For every request (which can be hundreds just for one site), the latency come to play. If the latency is 4 ms, a certain website can open very fast. If the latency is 400 ms, which can be normal in Thailand, the website will seem slow anyway - even if you actually got a download speed of 100 Mbps.

With True, even local sites have high latency. 30 ms or up. I rarely see connections to Europe faster than 300 ms. With CAT Fiber, I can have 3 ms to local servers, and I used to have around 230 ms to Europe on a good day. Lets see if I still can get that, after they repaired all the cables...

• Like 1

I am coming to Thai on in a few weeks to spend awhile with my family (Thai) and bringing my computer.... a wireless HP Touchsmart 610. I understand there is now free wi-fi in all provinces. Is this correct? Will I need to load any software? What problems can I expect to run into? What internet provider is best? I also have IOLO System Mechanic I plan on loading on daughters laptop to clean it up and improve performance. Any suggestions? Since I am heading into unknown territory, I'd appreciate a guide who knows the lay of the land.

I am coming to Thai on in a few weeks to spend awhile with my family (Thai) and bringing my computer.... a wireless HP Touchsmart 610.

I understand there is now free wi-fi in all provinces. Is this correct?

Will I need to load any software? What problems can I expect to run into? What internet provider is best?

I also have IOLO System Mechanic I plan on loading on daughters laptop to clean it up and improve performance. Any suggestions? Since I am heading into unknown territory, I'd appreciate a guide who knows the lay of the land.

Not really the appropriate thread to tack-on these questions.

The 'free' WiFi in all provinces was recently discussed in this thread:

Started by alocacoc, 2014-09-15 17:19
Besides the 'limited' use community WiFi, many Guest Accommodations provide either free or limited WiFi. Otherwise many mobile operators also offer affordable access to their WiFi Hotspots either inclusive or as add-on services (7-14฿/day or 99฿/month) that are located throughout the kingdom.
No special software is required for connecting to these WiFi services.
As with any WiFi device, issues do crop up with device incompatibility, or when the service is oversubscribed, or when the services are not always conveniently located.
You'll find 3BB the largest WiFi Hotspot provider, followed by the Mobile Phone Carriers and National Internet Providers (AIS, DTAC, TRUE, TOT, etc)
If Free WiFi or WiFi hotspots don't work out, take a look at buying a 3G Internet Pocket WiFi that allows you to share a 3G SIM mobile subscription Internet Data account among 5 WiFi devices. They're a lot more convenient, especially if you are only visiting here for a short time.
Edited by RichCor

True seems to be much better this morning for me, and without using a VPN proxy. Anyone else?

Yes me too.

I was in the office yesterday and some of them didn't seem to know about the cable issue.

I really am unsure whether there is also sone impact of 'turning up the monitoring' or multitude of reasons.