Experts pinpoint Thai tourism setbacks

webfact

TOURISM
Experts pinpoint tourism setbacks

SUCHAT SRITAMA
THE NATION

30243433-01_big.jpg
A Thai Airways plane is about to land at Suvarnabhumi International airport as it passes a huge billboard on the outskirts of Bangkok, Thailand, 08 September 2014. Thailands tourism income has dropped by some 9.1 percent in the first half of 2014

BANGKOK: -- Experts with long experience in the tourism industry have outlined two major problems that have been holding back the sector for many years and need to be reformed for long-term competitiveness.

The first problem is that data and statistics provided by official bodies is inaccurate, and the second is that political power over the tourism sector is too centralised.

"These are the biggest problems for the Thai tourism industry and have been hurting the entire sector for decades. As a result, the industry is now facing the risk of collapse and losing its strength," one senior expert said.

These two big issues were raised in response to the appointment of a new tourism minister, Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul.

Members of this high-profile group claim 30-50 years of experience in the industry, some in the Tourism Authority of Thailand, as well as major hotel players and representatives of key travel firms and private-sector associations.

According to Apichart Sankary, former president of the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA), certain authorities have forced organisations to provide unrealistic data, especially on international arrival numbers, or often provide only optimistic information to public.

He claimed that some information given out by officials was inaccurate. One mistake is counting one-day cross-border trippers as tourists. Moreover, arrivals are not categorised clearly, such as whether they are for business, leisure, long stays and so on, but are counted as one category, "tourist".

For instance, the official number of international arrivals between January and August this year was 15 million, down from 17 million in the same period last year, or a 10-per-cent drop. But ATTA's statistics showed that arrivals during those eight months plunged by 40 per cent year on year.

"Officials are claiming high numbers of tourist just for budgetary reasons," he said.

One hotelier, who declined to be named, said the tourism industry had been dominated by a single political party for about 12-15 years. He strongly advised the government to reform the travel sector by cleaning up inaccurate statistics and data and providing real information to the public as well as business operators.

ML SuravutThongthaem, senior vice president for development and owner relations for Southeast Asia at Onyx Hospitality Group, urged the government to enhance human-resource development and also consider issuing some regulations to preserve local management in order to strengthen long-term competitiveness.

Crackdowns urged

Crackdowns on illegal hotels, apartments and residences should also be carried out ahead of the opening of the Asean Economic Community next year.

Furthermore, improvements in infrastructure and connectivity are needed as soon as possible, while tourist security is another issue to consider. "Those who are going invest overseas should have full support from the government," he added.

Kobkarn on Monday assured her team and the private sector that her ministry would continue working to increase arrivals and tourism revenue. She also will promote a transparent working system while reducing duplication of tasks in the ministry's departments.

The new minister plans to promote secondary tourist cities to help small and medium-sized businesses, promote tourism through social media and online channels, and make immigration procedures less time-consuming.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Experts-pinpoint-tourism-setbacks-30243433.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-17

• Like 1

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inaccurate data yes. TAT announcements often are hilarious only. But there's no mention of the frequent scams. Jetski operators, taxi drivers, gems sellers, beach chair morons, police looking for tee money and others. Those bad guys are small in numbers really, but they have an increasingly impact on the image of the land of smiles.

The many "suicides" by falling from balconies and the recent horrible murder of the two brittish youngsters on Koh Tao will cost the kingdom plenty in the longer run.

A huge and lasting cleanup is needed to revive tourism. If that is possible remains to be seen.

...and corruption at any level...and double pricing ...and...and...and...etc.

• Like 1

As we all know change comes quickly around here. Crackdowns are nearly instant.

Unfortunately change works both ways and the status quo is resumed just as soon as eyes are turned away (whether just out of boredom or because a suitable "donation" was agreed).

• Like 1

Some years back, an English girl was raped and murdered on Lamai Beach on New Years Eve. It made for big news in the UK.

2 days later, an english friend got a call from his mother - isn't that where you live, it looks absolutely beautiful. He said "yeah, if you don't mind being raped and murdered" to which his mother replied "I could be raped and murdered in my own home." (as related to me).

Millions of people who had never heard of koh Tao will now know of it and its attractions. Once the crime is solved and the hullaballoo dies down, tourism will actually increase IMHO.

'There's no such thing as bad publicity.' P T Barnum

first of all clean up the face saving ego issues that tat and others in government positions have.

Then go out and survey real people, thais AND falangs, these people know whats going on, not these tossers behind the desk, they dont live in the real world, then you can get your answers on whats turning tourists away.

• Like 1

I'm always just amazed at how supposedly tourism is just 6% of GDP, yet these type of headlines dominate the news which seems to me shows that tourism is much larger than is being let on. I can't really recall most first world countries generating big headlines about their tourism numbers like Thailand.

• Like 2

Simplfy the VISA process and let the tourist bar areas open 24x7 if they wish. Your either for or against tourist money. In the meantime some negatives go with the 2 points I made. e.g. international criminal hide out may be Thailand. Bars open too long means labor problems and people way too drunk. Those are only examples but all can be managed with better 'serve and protect' people. The added revenue can be used for these people to make it a trust tourist location.

Whilst I think that every TV reader has believed for years that the tourism figures are inflated and hence inaccurate, I fail to see the correlation between this and the prospect of reduced competitiveness.

Is it because the fact that targets are routinely hit allows complacency to set in? I really have no idea.

Can anyone please explain this as the article certainly doesn't?

I also think that a lot of neighbouring countries are now accessible compared to years before, so that is having an impact too. Many tourist who travel here are the adventerous type and with all the problems we see and know they simply go to neighbouring countries. It's the same types of beaches and sea, just less hassle.

• Like 2