Experts pinpoint Thai tourism setbacks

webfact

I don't think you need experts to see the problems in Thailand that

have resulted in the decline of tourists,it all starts when tourists

leave the airport,and goes down hill from there on.

regards Worgeordie

Nonsense - it starts when they leave the aircraft and meet the queues at Immigration :-(

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simplfy the VISA process and let the tourist bar areas open 24x7 if they wish. Your either for or against tourist money. In the meantime some negatives go with the 2 points I made. e.g. international criminal hide out may be Thailand. Bars open too long means labor problems and people way too drunk. Those are only examples but all can be managed with better 'serve and protect' people. The added revenue can be used for these people to make it a trust tourist location.

are you kidding, the visa system couldn't be easier - you can stay in Thailand for a month and don't need one for a start - not only that you can get a 30 day extension at a local immigration for a small fee if you want to stay longer.

• Like 2

The atmosphere of a country has a major effect on peoples' decisions of holiday destination. The land of smiles was replaced by a country torn in 2 politically and people fighting amongst themselves, then of course more recently under military curfew, strict immigration rules and the destruction of beach front restaurants, bars and other businesses - all of which were/are either visible to the international or tourist community (and the beach front businesses in my eyes actually enhanced the atmosphere, be it beach masseurs, sun loungers or beach bars). As a result the country is less attractive and those hit by the lack of tourists are now more desperate. Stories of lifeless tourist destinations soon get around and as if being hassled by street vendors wasn't already an irritation, being hassled by 'desperate' and visibly miserable street vendors at a more frequent rate (due to the visible reduction in potential customers) just adds to the negative experiences of Thailand. Those that are new to Thailand and don't know any different may of course still see the charm but those that visited before the anti-corruption (then anti-government) protests will have seen that Thailand as a tourist destination has most definitely changed for the worse and will seek other alternatives.

Simplfy the VISA process and let the tourist bar areas open 24x7 if they wish. Your either for or against tourist money. In the meantime some negatives go with the 2 points I made. e.g. international criminal hide out may be Thailand. Bars open too long means labor problems and people way too drunk. Those are only examples but all can be managed with better 'serve and protect' people. The added revenue can be used for these people to make it a trust tourist location.

are you kidding, the visa system couldn't be easier - you can stay in Thailand for a month and don't need one for a start - not only that you can get a 30 day extension at a local immigration for a small fee if you want to stay longer.

Quite a few airlines don't recognise the visa on arrival system and will not let you board without a visa in your passport, especially if you don't have a return ticket.

I'm not sure about you all, but I'm not ready to disclose my earnings and/or spendings...coffee1.gif

just my 2 cents

It would be interesting for the government to survey those foreigners who stay for work, business and retirement or on short term furloughs from jobs offshore. One of the very important questions would be , " how much money do you spend annually in Thailand. That would help in promoting Thailand for various reasons other than just tourism.

Foreigner can't own business in Thailand, amity treaty(ies), BOI are other stories

Just from pure and simple observation over the last 5 years alone, the visible number of tourists has dropped MASSIVELY. High season this year most hotels were operating at 30%.
Towns like Hua Hin are still virtually deserted.

Pattaya is seeing a decline in Russian tourists - but perhaps for other reasons - but this still adds to the overall depletion of numbers.

The recent southern island murder mystery is going to have a massive impact on a global perception of Thailand, alongside the fact that the country is still under military rule.
To the uneducated overseas tourist - Thailand is an increasingly less attractive destination.
Not even the wondrous Thai punani can overcome that I'm afraid.

On the contrary, it is not "uneducated tourists" that are the problem, they are indeed informed and well educated on what is happening in Thailand which is why numbers are falling.

I think the increasing feel of xenophobia and the perception that foreigners are not welcome is also having an impact,, maybe small impact but once the idea that Thai's hate foreigners gets out that is a very difficult thing to shake. If someone asked me today how Thai people treat foreigners I would tell the truth and it would not be good.

Just this week there was another news item claiming that foreign gangs are "plaguing" Thailand with criminal activity,, total nonsense in my opinion but when the economy is tough the locals will listen and take it to heart.

I firmly believe how the local people treat you is a major contributing factor into choosing your holiday destination, along with safety, price and weather. Right now Thailand has the weather but the other points are under attack.

I guess the only way this will change is if Thailand lose the arrogance and wake up,, they need tourists, they need people to come to Thailand and spend money as tourists as well as invest in business,, make this unattractive and you lose everything.

I hope they smell the coffee soon because I get the feeling the clock is ticking.
I totally agree,I don't know about how things are in other tourist destinations in Thailand but in Phuket I can describe the attitude of the locals towards foreigners as being hostile,not always but very often.I assume that they are angry with us because there are no longer so many of us coming and times are hard,the whole island has only one source of income and that's from the tourists / expats.Many Thais are now expecting a good high season because they think that the army has now cleaned the place up,ie removed the taxi mafia and beach chairs,I myself am not so optimistic,to start off with the locals might want to act a bit more friendly towards the foreign visitors or expats,this was previously a huge selling point for Thailand and set them apart from a lot of countries.
And then there's the often discussed topic that expats don't contribute much to the economy,bear in mind that many tourists stay at international hotel chains,a lot of the money spent at these hotels goes abroad,that's how multi national companies operate.
Foreign hotels are run on a franchise or as a Thai company.

Thanks to protectionism, foreigners cannot own hotels in Thailand.

Quite a few airlines don't recognise the visa on arrival system and will not let you board without a visa in your passport, especially if you don't have a return ticket.

But tourists DO have return tickets!! Let's not get confused with 'border runners'.

• Like 1

You know when i came here first over 11 + years ago, i used to love walking the streets and having the craic with street traders I know this can still be found but mostly i'm being bombarded by some Indian calling me mate drives me nuts to the point I now just avoid these places like the plague but its getting more difficult.I can see why the tourist does not want to visit the land of smiles might as well go to India

Edited by Dublin
  • Like 2

So true!

and a VOA (visa on arrival) is NOT, by definition, a visa exempt...

But tourists DO have return tickets!! Let's not get confused with 'border runners'.

I'm always just amazed at how supposedly tourism is just 6% of GDP, yet these type of headlines dominate the news which seems to me shows that tourism is much larger than is being let on. I can't really recall most first world countries generating big headlines about their tourism numbers like Thailand.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Some years back, an English girl was raped and murdered on Lamai Beach on New Years Eve. It made for big news in the UK.

2 days later, an english friend got a call from his mother - isn't that where you live, it looks absolutely beautiful. He said "yeah, if you don't mind being raped and murdered" to which his mother replied "I could be raped and murdered in my own home." (as related to me).

Millions of people who had never heard of koh Tao will now know of it and its attractions. Once the crime is solved and the hullaballoo dies down, tourism will actually increase IMHO.

'There's no such thing as bad publicity.' P T Barnum

BS

Thank you for your witty critique of my post. Would you care to explain which part you find objectionable? Don't strain yourself, one syllable words will suffice.

ALL OF IT

I'm always just amazed at how supposedly tourism is just 6% of GDP, yet these type of headlines dominate the news which seems to me shows that tourism is much larger than is being let on. I can't really recall most first world countries generating big headlines about their tourism numbers like Thailand.

I'm afraid it's an insecurity and, too some extent, an inferiority complex. I think many Thai's have been brainwashed into believing they are the centre of the universe. I don't mean this in a derogatory fashion, but given that psyche, a falling off of tourists is a matter of shame and 'humiliation,

My extended UK family (Son in law, daughter 2 grandchildren), here on holiday were robbed on a baht bus on the first night. It ruined the holiday for them, as for the next 10 days they looked upon Thai's with suspicion. Unjustified, yes, but they will never return to Thailand and, presumably will advise others to think twice.

My advice to TAT or whatever is simply to stop worrying about what numbers you can give to the General, in order to keep him happy - and you in a job. Concentrate on building a safe, scam free country and the numbers will look after themselves.

• Like 1

Almost from the moment people leave the airport to enter Thailand until the moment they leave the country, these tourist visitors are targeted for higher prices, scams and often a fake smile.

Beginning with the taxi meters through having sand kicked at you, jet ski scams, dual pricing, lack of help from the likes of the police, attacks by stray dogs and general corruption it is no wonder word gets about and people decline to come to Thailand. Add to that their is a military government in place with many areas still under martial law.

It is all about perception.

Myself - touch wood - have never had any real heavy duty problems in Thailand, yet when I read the news and also the views of others I might easily have been put off going to Thailand in the first place.

I have found it to be a great place overall and am happy I went for the first time years ago. I am also looking forward to coming back next month providing I get my visa :)

Visa - there lies another problem. Rightly or wrongly people who read the likes of Thai Visa are unsure if they will even be issued a visa.

So many little and big things can alter a persons perception of a place and send them elsewhere for a holiday where they feel safer and feel less likely to be scammed or hassled. Seems to me that Thailand needs to visibly do something more positive about the country.

• Like 1

I actually think the tourists are down by about 50% in real terms.

I flew to the UK last month and back to Thailand, The plane was completely full both times. Would that suggest that tourism is down by 50%?

It just might. If plane occupancy goes down from 100% to 50%, and say 2 out of 4 flights are cut because of that, then the remaining flight you are on would still be full. But don't let deeper analysis, helicopter views and mathematics get in the way of your oversimplified view on the world.

Edited by RJF

I've been through several coups while in LOS, this one has a dangerous odor to it. If anyone really reads what is being planned for the future here, then they should be scared, it isn't pretty. That will surely create a rise in tourism if TAT reporting has anything to do with it; the rest of the world knows what going down, and that's number of tourists.

Dangerous odor, be scared of what is planned, no pretty future...gee you know how to whip up the excitement. Would you care to give a bit more precise detail of how you envision this to the uninitiated here? PS I am not mocking you, I am seriously interested!

I flew to the UK last month and back to Thailand, The plane was completely full both times. Would that suggest that tourism is down by 50%?

It just might. If plane occupancy goes down from 100% to 50%, and say 2 out of 4 flights are cut because of that, then the remaining flight you are on would still be full. But don't let deeper analysis, helicopter views and mathematics get in the way of your oversimplified view on the world.

I am not saying it has not happened, but I have never read of any flights to Thailand being cancelled because they are not full.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I am not saying it has not happened, but I have never read of any flights to Thailand being cancelled because they are not full.

Moot point dear fellow. I've never heard of ANY flight being cancelled because it's not full.

Moot point dear fellow. I've never heard of ANY flight being cancelled because it's not full.

Well now you have. Google Merpati whose theme song was "It's Merpati and we'll fly if we want to.........." Notorious for cancelling flights because of lack of passengers.

Tourists? Just becoming little China. Glad these 'experts' can state the obvious. Like to hear about how they're regarded as experts. Dont experts have insight, solutions, both on the micro and macro level? Like what it is driving/preventing those from coming, not wanting to return etc.

I think this problem has many factors to it one is the world economy is starved for disposable income, reducing international travel secondly thailand needs to address scams and safety.

Probably the most accurate post I have read for a long time ... (sic) a world economy starved (of) disposable income ... the economic growth that facilitates 'disposable income' is being soaked up by the corporations / corporate government addicted to revenue no longer available ... simply; energy cost components (embodied energy) in the full spectrum of life is soaking up disposable income due to the rising cost of living ...

9 (food energy) calories out of 10 represent fossil fuel energy; as the cost of oil, gas and coal goes up, so too do the prices of foods (the greater the distance - food miles - and or processing); the GFC flagged the 'ceiling price' of oil energy at (+ or - ) $110 a barrel ... where people could not afford to buy ...

So a Tourist who does come to Thailand will watch their budget and will no longer want to put down to experience the loss of funds to scams; however small they may appear ... and as the Scammers income generation decreases, the desperation of the underlings to produce will cause more violent measures ...

I read this earlier today in The Nation. I disagree. And I have read the entire article. Just highlighting one sentence that stood out to me:

"Experts with long experience in the tourism industry have outlined two major problems" ...and then blah blah blah. They only speak from the 'expert' perspective and not the 'tourist' perspective.

The primary problem is: Inconsistent application of visa/immigration law, bad experiences due to corruption at both the 'official level' and 'street level' - i.e. Mafia", violence directed at tourists, scams directed at tourists, and 'perceived' internal instability of the government.

And advice for the 'Experts'? It's not because you can't get transparent data from the government. Most citizens can't get transparent data from their respective governments. It's because you refuse to take your own 'blinders' off and see the reality of the situation. It doesn't take a 'government report' to do that.

Edited by connda

statistics showed that arrivals (of tourists) during those eight months plunged by 40 per cent year on year.

While official stats say tourism is down 10%...vs...the actual 40%...the lack of traffic and shoppers in Pattaya would favor the 40% number...

• Like 1

statistics showed that arrivals (of tourists) during those eight months plunged by 40 per cent year on year.

While official stats say tourism is down 10%...vs...the actual 40%...the lack of traffic and shoppers in Pattaya would favor the 40% number...

"There are lies, damn lies, and statistics." -- Mark Twain

My experience here in Chiang Mai would favor the 40% number also. But then again, US unemployment is only around 6% if you believe the government, but closer to 23% if you use the statistical methodology used prior to 1994 which didn't exclude individuals who have run out of unemployment benefits as being in the ranks of 'no longer looking for work', which is a total crock of crapola.

"I'm from your government and I'm here to supply you with accurate information." Yeah, ok. Sure. Whatever you say.

Yes Indeed, While many of the Post on this site are correct not many did post all the points out of why tourism is down, As a member of ASTA, CLIA, In the Travel Field for years and Lived in Thailand for years, I can honestly say it still is my favorite place to Live worldwide,This being said upfront, I would Like to Chastise the Government for it inept handling of Tourism and crime.Tourism is the blood line for Thailand. Many expats whom live there do Visa runs monthly because of the non consistent Immigration laws that Hound this country, In some places you can do visa run , in some you cannot , In some places you can get another 30 to 90 days some others you cannot , , What I am saying it depends on the mood of the immigration Police at that point on that day, This is inconsistent!, Thailand wants your tourist dollars but makes it hard for expats whom do not have 50K U.S or proof of funds or buy Property of this amount or more, to stay there bye mandating visa runs monthly and then changing the rules every few months, What needs to be done here is every border must abide bye the same rules first and foremost , crack down on Immigration Officers whom break this law, second make it easier for Immigration runs not every 30 days or 60 day , How about every 90 days mandatory,This will lower the lines and make border passing easier plus cut down on traffic over the Borders and security can be better with less lines. This makes it easier also for the tourist or expat living abroad whom does visa runs. 30 day visa extensions are unexceptable in a place which wants and needs tourism Like Thailand does. Next a crack down on Police on the take. This is huge, good luck with that, Also a crack down on the locals whom rip off tourists, What good are tourist police, if they do not Police, these clowns need to be turned in and lose there licenses to work or worse , Jailed. Then the common Thai criminal as well as other international criminals need to be either expelled if they have a record of crime, and or the local Thais whom commit crimes jailed immediately and police not to take payoff or release these clowns because of local Nepotism.Thailand needs to be a Safe haven, not for drugs, or criminals, but for people whom want to enjoy the culture, the beauty of the land, the people, and the food, They do not need to worry about being harassed or robbed or worse as those two Brits were, which is a slam dunk against Tourism and the People and country of Thailand ,The world has heard about this and you can bet many vacations are being rerouted,postponed or changed all together because of this,If Thailand really want to be serious about Tourism, then every tourist town needs a Legit tourist Police force monitoring the safety of its guests, Monitoring the Beach, and monitoring the businesses, any complaints should be dealt with quickly. All Tourist Police should be cream ofthe crop Police, There backgrounds scrutinized and checked and rechecked for character and honesty.There presence should be felt all over tourist towns such as Pattaya, Patong, Bangkok, Hua Hin, PHi Phi Islands Koh Samui, and several other places. They should not be there to harass the tourist, threaten them with jail, Yes many go there for the ladies, or Lady boys but this is there business, If you want to control it have the checked weekly for diseases, ave them Licensed, and tax them, its there business no one elses what goes on behind closed doors, safety, control, this is what is needed not threats!If caught without a license of not being checked weekly by a local Physcian then loss of license and possible penalty, besides loss of income, and after so many offenses jail then and only then, . This is not the tourist responsibility, its up to the local Government to institute a sound policy to make this work, even the Bar girls should be made to have this like similiar in the Philippines. I am not saying I am in favor of Prostitution, Its the oldest profession we have, I am saying you cannot stop it so control it.All this being said this is a huge order for them to do, but first they need to fix there government in general and have a President or leader run this country and not the Military!

• Like 1