Buy ticket at airport just before flight?

ChristianPFC

For flights within Thailand:

I wonder if you can show up at the airport one or two hours before the flight, buy a ticket there and pay in cash.

Is this possible? What would the price be like (online there are large variations, like 600 to 4000 Baht for the same flight on different days and times).

In Thailand, I travelled by train and bus so far. I am just back from Ubon, and it took me over 12 hours by train. If I knew I could go to the airport and get the next flight (provided there are empty seats) for let's say 1000 Baht, I would take it. Better first call from wherever I am to inquire about empty seats and price?

(I can plan international flights and book them online weeks in advance, but curious if you can book at the airport shortly before the flight, in this case too, call a few hours in advance?.)

Edited by ChristianPFC

You can risk it, but the odds are you'll pay top dollar...if you can even get a seat. I know many people who's plans changed last minute and had to buy a ticket. The prices were crazy compared to what you could have gotten with advanced planning. With that being said, it is possible. I'd for sure call before heading to the airport.

As a test, do it now. Call the airline and see what they have for 2 hours from now...

Last minute flights / travel plans.....

Don't just turn up at the airport and hope... If you have a rough plan or idea of timing, perhaps even the day before take a look online and check out the available flights.

Before the days of smart phones I used to have a reliable travel agent I could call, she'd arrange a flight and I'd just turn up at the airport.

These days, once plans firm up it takes a few mins to book an e-ticket from any smart phone.

This is ideal for last minute domestic travel, the costs are not dramatically inflated, last minute domestic flights can still be purchased at reasonable cost.

I've done it before at Don Muang, maybe around 2006. No problems at all. I knew the airline and the departure time, so walked to the desk and bought the ticket. Checked in, went through security and flew off to Khon Kaen.

Funny story...it was the first flight for that airline to Khon Kaen. The flight was full of executives and reporters. I met the owner of the airline and his wife. My seatmate was a reporter. I was interviewed in English. There was a big celebration at the airport when I arrived. I stayed to watch. After a short while all the executives and reporters got back on the plane and returned to Bangkok.

The airline was One Two Go by Orient Thai, lol. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-Two-GO_Airlines

Personally, I have done it myself on a couple of occasions. Both times were at Udon Thani flying to Bsngkok. Air Asia and Nok Air are next to each other. I selected the cheapest ticket available for the next flight out. I think I paid 1200 baht each time and departed within an hour. It was low season. Nok even gave me a key chain that I still used to this day.

You can risk it, but the odds are you'll pay top dollar...if you can even get a seat. I know many people who's plans changed last minute and had to buy a ticket. The prices were crazy compared to what you could have gotten with advanced planning. With that being said, it is possible. I'd for sure call before heading to the airport.

As a test, do it now. Call the airline and see what they have for 2 hours from now...

Are you sure..... for domestic flights?

I have seen plenty of options to be on standby to say Phuket, although that was when they all left from the old swampy domestic terminal!

I have done it many times, from Swampy to Khon Kaen at times it has been cheaper than what was on the Internet site. Go into the Thai Airways ticket office on the departure floor, 4 I think, they will get you on their next flight and not expensive because you want the same day flight. Quite a few of the other airlines offices there.

I have seen plenty of options to be on standby to say Phuket, although that was when they all left from the old swampy domestic terminal!

I haven't flown domestically in some time. But I do know that AirAsia has a tiered pricing scheme. The cheapest seats sell first. The last ones tend to be a bit more expensive. But not a big deal.

I had a friend who flew up to Issan with Nok 2 years ago. He got the return date wrong. Showed up at the airport not knowing this and was told all flights were full for that day. Had to take a 12 hour bus ride to get home as he had to get to work.

I just did a quick search. Attached a screen shot of a last minute flight to NST. Tomorrow is booked up and there's a pretty big difference in price.

post-5869-0-19049900-1411007058_thumb.pn

I bought a return flight from Bangkok to Heathrow London at a travel agent with Eva airlines. When I went to Heathrow for the return flight back to Bangkok, Eva told me I wasn't booked, then said go to Thai Airways as there is a flight to Bangkok shortly. I did that and was charged less than 500 GBP for the flight back to Bangkok. this was four years ago, I'm not sure if this was less than Thai Airways normal single flight.

I was then given a full refund from the travel agency as it was their mistake that caused this.

Just checked online. Nokair has a one way from Udon Thani to Don Mueang for 1100 baht including taxes and fees. You can leave at 1:55 PM but you must call the airline to book that ticket. Also, they have a flight a 9:25 PM that you could book online, same price.

timeout_small_large.png To travel on this flight, please contact airport counter or call 1318. Web booking has already timed out. Edited by DoDoey

Of course you can, airlines love customers like you. Hotels also love customers like you. They get to charge you the highest rate possible because you have no other choice. You get to be the first person to get any seats available and cut the que of standby passengers. Just make sure they treat you like a boss.

Of course you can, airlines love customers like you. Hotels also love customers like you. They get to charge you the highest rate possible because you have no other choice. You get to be the first person to get any seats available and cut the que of standby passengers. Just make sure they treat you like a boss.

Absolutely false, and easily debunked with a quick online search.

I did an online search for a flight that leaves in 2 hours..... can't get any prices.

If I was at the airport, and there were seats, why couldn't I get on as a standby or last minute at-the-airport booking.

If you are talking about domestic flights, yes you can show up at the airport in Thailand a couple of hours before the flight takes off and pay in cash. As it is always possible for flights to be full, there is always the chance you will be stranded at the airport. However, if you go to an airport which has several companies serving the airport with several flights per day, you are highly likely to get a seat on one of them as long as you stay away from the very busy times (coming up to Thai New Year etc).

I used to do this flying from Udon Thani to Bangkok (Vientiane to Bangkok was very expensive at the time). Because I was living in Vientiane and it was always hard to predict how long it would take to clear the immigration with my Lao car on both sides of the bridge, I used to leave my house at 8.30am and drive all the way, parking at the airport. At Udon Thani airport I would go around the various windows asking for time of next flight, whether it was on time and how much. Sometimes Thai Airways even dropped their initial offer price! I once bought a ticket for a flight at Udon 40 minutes before it took off.

I have never tried this in the case of international departures from Bangkok. But I have bought international tickets at Surumabumri the day before the flight - but I only did that because Thai Airways only provide the full price ticket on their website - same when you try to buy a ticket where the flight departs from another country.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well Mr. Online, get out of your room much? Get some life experiences.

Seen it, done it, nothing to prove to you. coffee1.gif Works everytime.

I did an online search for a flight that leaves in 2 hours..... can't get any prices.

If I was at the airport, and there were seats, why couldn't I get on as a standby or last minute at-the-airport booking.

I also did a online search by Air Asia that leaves in less than 1.5 hours. And I can get prices?

DEPART
Ubon Ratchathani to Bangkok - Don Mueang

1925 (UBP)

13302014/09/182030 (DMK)

Adult
1,293.00 THB

Really don't know what the surprise is here. Just like getting coffee at 7-11, thought it was a normal thing, no big deal.

If there are seats, of course you can get the seat and flight ticket right there from the sales counter, and pay it.

Of course you can if the airline has a sales counter at airport. Air Asia has at many airports.

But there may be a higher cash or credit card handling fee for some airlines. Some times booking on internet is cheaper.

A few years back I bought a ticket in Singapore airport to Bangkok as I had a change of plans. No problems buying a ticket there with Air Asia on their next flight to BKK.

A few months back, I needed to fly to Hat Yai last minute on business. Company travel agent couldn't book the ticket- too close to departure time.

Showed up at the airport (BKK) and paid Thai Airways around 2400 baht for the ticket that usually costs my company more than twice that, when booked in advance.

They could have bent me over. They didn't. I was amazed. And now I understand why they're struggling financially.

I have purchased a ticket upon arrival at the airport several times. On a Saturday or midweek and at midday you can usually get competitive pricing. Fridays, Sundays, and evenings you can pay quite a bit if you are lucky enough to even be offered a seat. And on popular routes during high seasons (Phuket, Chiang Mai) I would advise to book in advance any day or time.

I've done it before at Don Muang, maybe around 2006. No problems at all.

yep . . back in those glory days (& before) at DMK, i've lost count how many times i'd step right off my international flight . . stroll down 'the glass tube' into domestic without a care in the world & head straight over to the Thai counter. No rip-off fares ever, hand over a few crisp notes and then 3-4 hours later be passing through the doors of CNX. God, i miss doing that !

these days . . i lazily pre-buy online. sad.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Seen it, done it, nothing to prove to you. coffee1.gif Works everytime.

I also did a online search by Air Asia that leaves in less than 1.5 hours. And I can get prices?

DEPART

1925 (UBP)

13302014/09/182030 (DMK)

Adult
1,293.00 THB

Really don't know what the surprise is here. Just like getting coffee at 7-11, thought it was a normal thing, no big deal.

If there are seats, of course you can get the seat and flight ticket right there from the sales counter, and pay it.

Nok Air would not let me select a domestic flight that leaves at 09.20 in 1hr 20min using the internet.

In fact it tells you to go to the counter at the airport.

Just wondered whether one could scoop up cheap flights on spare seats by being there.

Edited by jacko45k

It is hard to pay with cash these days and you often pay a premium. A few hours before is improbable. Try Skywest ( carriers for United Airlines) but I would definitely try a Travel Agent who will try to get you the best deal at a time convenient for you for cash. If you must leave on short notice even a Travel Agent may have to charge you a premium because of limited availability .

At United before they disappeared in BKK I paid at the counter $1000.00 US and left the next day. At japan Airlines I paid $1200.00 US (approx) and left 4 days later.

While back in Canada i had many choices when I went to a travel agent and probably could have gotten the lowest price if I had been flexible.

I use cash only but booking on line with a credit card can get you the lowest price. Travel agents are similar if not better because they are experienced at searching.

Seen it, done it, nothing to prove to you. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif width=32 alt=coffee1.gif> Works everytime.

DEPART

1925 (UBP)

13302014/09/182030 (DMK)

Adult
1,293.00 THB

Nok Air would not let me select a domestic flight that leaves at 09.20 in 1hr 20min using the internet.

In fact it tells you to go to the counter at the airport.

Just wondered whether one could scoop up cheap flights on spare seats by being there.

I think Air Asia also doesn't allow you to pay and book the ticket online. It states any flights within 4 hours, must be booked by the sales counter, so the situation should be the same as your Nok Air situation. Whether they honor the same price as the online one, I have no idea, I would think they would charge the normal price without discounts since the customer is "desperate last resort".

I think it has to do with confirmation more than the availability. Since even if you book online with major airlines. Most people would think, as soon as they book on the website, it's a done deal. But in reality it's not, that's why they say, you have to wait a confirmation email from the airline, which occurs within 3 minutes. The reason they don't allow online booking within 4 hours, maybe that reason, either it's just too rush through computers or security checks, or they simply want a first person to seal the deal without mistakes.