Buy ticket at airport just before flight?

ChristianPFC

I did not consider check-in luggage. When I travel by bus and train, I carry a knife and other stuff that I can't take on the plane. For regular flights, check-in luggage costs more than I would pay for the entire trip by bus or train. For that reason, I travel with hand luggage only for short trips by airplane. I've heard check-in or overweight luggage is even more expensive when not booked with the flight.

That kind of kills the whole idea for me (I was looking for 1000 Baht flight taking 1 hour instead of 500 Baht bus or train taking 10 hours).

• 9 months later...

Now I can answer my own question: Yes, you can.

I'm just back from Khon Kaen - Don Mueang. Having travelled there by flight, I had only hand luggage (to save money and time, but have to leave everything metal and sharp at home), so I just turned up at Khon Kaen airport (after checking what times flights to Bangkok leave, but not knowing when exactly in the evening I would get to the airport).

Arrive 17:45 and buy a ticket for the 18:25 flight (AirAsia, 1796 Baht, pay in cash). Plane has about 80% occupancy.

Thanks for taking the time to post back. It is appreciated.

I, too, was quite pleased with the contrast between Thailand and the USA when it comes to last minute flights. As long as there are seats, they don't seem to gouge me...unlike the guys "back home"

I'm just back from Khon Kaen - Don Mueang. Having travelled there by flight, I had only hand luggage (to save money and time, but have to leave everything metal and sharp at home), so I just turned up at Khon Kaen airport (after checking what times flights to Bangkok leave, but not knowing when exactly in the evening I would get to the airport).

Arrive 17:45 and buy a ticket for the 18:25 flight (AirAsia, 1796 Baht, pay in cash). Plane has about 80% occupancy.

That is a very expensive fare - even THAI AIR subsidiary THAI SMILE flies between KKC and DMK or BKK for 1.090 or 1.190

I too prefer to fly but Khonkaen is just 6 hrs by Bus and less than 500 Baht - makes a difference. Chiang Mai or Hat Yai is another story.....

interesting though you got on that 18:25 flight - AirAsia follows strict rules and closes check-in 45 minutes prior to departure. happened to me in KL some years ago, when I arrived at Check-in 43 minutes prior to departure and it was abandoned already....

Means, by 17:40 it should have been closed...... but maybe special "ISAAN-rules" applied there ;-)

It is possible to turn up and buy a ticket, it's a very popular practice for the locals. And there is the problem. Telephoning two hours before is a wasted effort because unbeknown to you, in the time it takes to get to the airport, the tickets can sell out. Book on-line or go to the airport and buy tickets a few days in advance. It will save you a lot of hassle, and certainly some cash.

Edited by billphillips

I am in Chinag Mai and its easier to do during the low season but just booking 24-48 hours before will save you anywhere up to 1000 baht cheaper and you will have more choices of airline and times. Rolling up at the weekend during the cool season you will pay top price, wait for hours or not fly at all.

Book on-line or go to the airport and buy tickets a few days in advance. It will save you a lot of hassle, and certainly some cash.

I can plan my travel from Bangkok in advance, but return is on a whim. In this case, I decided in the course of the afternoon that I will take an evening flight to Bangkok.

While the ticket says check-in closes 20 minutes before departure, I found that the counter opened about 20 minutes before scheduled departure, so that does not seem to be critical.

Now I would like to know where I can find reliable last-minute prices for turn-up-at-the-sales-counter. If it hadn't been a weekend, I would have gone by bus or train and lost a weekday; by flying I had the whole Sunday in Bangkok.

The internet is on 24 hours a day. Technology is an amazing thing

True, but you can't buy a ticket on the interweb closer than 2 hours to flight time... Which meet's the OP title's criteria of "just before flight".

The internet is on 24 hours a day. Technology is an amazing thing

True, but you can't buy a ticket on the interweb closer than 2 hours to flight time... Which meet's the OP title's criteria of "just before flight".

Yes and the point of my post. I dont understand why anyone would go to he airport and expect to purchase a ticket same day flight. Those days are long passed with all the technology we have now. SMH Edited by 2fishin2

Book on-line or go to the airport and buy tickets a few days in advance. It will save you a lot of hassle, and certainly some cash.

I can plan my travel from Bangkok in advance, but return is on a whim. In this case, I decided in the course of the afternoon that I will take an evening flight to Bangkok.

While the ticket says check-in closes 20 minutes before departure, I found that the counter opened about 20 minutes before scheduled departure, so that does not seem to be critical.

Now I would like to know where I can find reliable last-minute prices for turn-up-at-the-sales-counter. If it hadn't been a weekend, I would have gone by bus or train and lost a weekday; by flying I had the whole Sunday in Bangkok.

The check-in does not close 20 minutes before departure, and I doubt there is any Airline in the world which in their rules allows check-in up to 20 minutes prior to departure, as at that time, people should usually already be on board, and their checked in luggage inside the plane's belly. check-in closes 40-45 minutes before departure depending which Airline you use. what closes 20 minutes before departure is the BOARDING GATE, which means, if you are not at the boarding gate at least 20 minutes before the plane is scheduled to take off, you may forfeit your seat.