Bangkok: 6 Uthen Thawai students accused of murder

webfact

6 Uthen Thawai students accused of murder
By Coconuts Bangkok

uthenthawai.shooting_0.jpg?itok=FMlxL4V_
ABOVE: The Osot Sala pharmacy on Phaya Thai road where a student was killed on the evening of Aug. 26. Photo: Google

BANGKOK: -- Six students from the Rajamangala University of Technology's downtown Uthen Thawai campus were arrested on suspicion of murder Monday.

Following a spate of student murders in recent weeks, the group stands accused of killing two Pathumwan Institute of Technology students in retaliation for the drive-by shooting of a popular female student across from MBK Center near the Uthen Thawai campus.

On Friday Chinapong Srikhacha, 18, and Polwat Chanwiset, 21, were riding on a motorcycle in the capital's Bang Sue district when they were shot dead.

Police said the six supects ranged from 19 to 24 and were friends of Kankanit Phromkaew, the 20-year-old Uthen Thawai student shot to death near MBK on Aug. 26.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/09/17/6-uthen-thawai-students-accused-murder

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-09-17

Six students arrested for killing two rival students at Bang Sue

9-17-2014-1-05-06-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Six students from Rajamangala University of Technology’s Uthen Thawai campus were arrested by police for allegedly killing two Pathumwan Institute of Technology (PIT) students last Friday.

Police said the six students confessed to shooting the victims in an act of revenge for the killing of a female Uthen Thawai student in front of MBK shopping mall in Pathumwan late last month.

The two Pathumwan students Chinapong Srikhacha, 18, and Polwat Chanwiset, 21, were shot dead while travelling on a motorcycle along Thoet Damri Road in front of Bang Sue railway station last Friday evening,

The suspects were identified as Kabin Jirojmontri, 20, Panya Kemwatcharalert, 19, Attapol Yimanying, 20, Jirayuth Suwannachote, 20, Nattakorn Kamtaeng, 24, and Chitdilok Oumchu, 21.

Four are second-year students, while Mr Nattakorn and Mr Chitdlok are in their third year.

According to police, the second-year students were classmates of Kankanit Phromkaew, 20, the female student shot dead outside MBK shopping mall on Aug 26.

The killing of Kankanit resulted in the suspects wanting to revenge on those who they thought were responsible for their friend’s murder, police said.

They believed Pathumwan students killed her.

They confessed to an earlier shooting Patchara Kanpalasiri, 21, a Rajamangala University of Technology Krungthep student, in Soi Ramkhamhaeng 107 on September 1.

But they admitted it was a wrong shot as the victim was not the Pathumwan students.

However this time, they said the two victims were directly responsible for shooting Ms Kankanit and they still go free.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/six-students-arrested-killing-two-rival-students-bang-sue/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-17

I cannot even begin to image being 18-20 years old and having to go to jail for life - like 50 years. What a horrible thought. Anyone spending those many years in jail will be crazy. Stop young people. Think! Run away from trouble - faster!!!

Im sure society has a lot to be blamed for.

Media, parenting, schools and of course Government....

Goodness.

Society, really?

What else could it possibly be?

Enlighten us as to what exactly does not fit into what we call 'society'. Please.

Why show yourself up by being such a sm##t a##e! Any fool can understand what he means by society, which is the culture of the nation, It is without any real deterrent, for most crimes, and justice can be bought by those with enough money.

if guilty lock 'em up for a very long time as an example for future attempts.

And since when did you found out that locking people up is a deterrent for a crime?

Care to share your knowledge with us?

Hey, are you using thinking to disrupt my God-given right to put in my two cents? I love those cents! Stop it!

Killings, retaliations, more killings, more retaliations....it's a cycle that resembles several Mideast countries.

Worse, were any of the people who shot the first student, Kankanit, arrested? The students arrested this time say the original assailants went free....... This just fuels the fires of hatred.

Unequal justice under the rule of law is a recipe for unrest and violence...no matter who is in charge.

thainess in action

useless killings, will it ever end ?

might you put to thinking, what is the level/degree of a uni student worth in the west ? => not even the paper worth printing their diploma on ...

Edited by belg

And since when did you found out that locking people up is a deterrent for a crime?

Care to share your knowledge with us?

I read that the poster used the term "example" and not deterrent.

Imprisonment removes, in most cases, a persons ability to commit a like crime for the duration of their confinement.

The second sentence seems to be in need of some word-smithing as it comes across as somewhat imperious to this reader.

• Like 2

While I do agree with locking them up for a very long time, I doubt it will serve as an example. Thais have no memory.

Evidently neither do Americans. Do you know what our recidivism rate is?

i

Care to share your knowledge with us?[huh. .... think about what you just said, locking people up is to keep my butt safe. you can have them over your house for dinner, babysit for your kids, go shopping with your wife, me... ? i want them in the big house for a long long time :-) ]

Can all the people classifying this as a uniquely Thai problem stop and think about your own country? "Gang culture" exists in many developed countries where it is based on things as varied as colored ribbons, ethnic background, where you live, the type of clothes you wear, motor cycle club, etc. Here it seems to be vocational school. And I don't think the violence (as reported) is any worse than I have witnessed first hand in California and Florida. The real question for the societies involved is where they have we failed. Why do some young people think that the only way to gain acceptance is to join such gangs and participate in activities that they would never consider individually. I don't pretend to have the answers, just saying that it is not just a Thai phenomenon.

While I do agree with locking them up for a very long time, I doubt it will serve as an example. Thais have no memory.

Evidently neither do Americans. Do you know what our recidivism rate is?
I'm elated that you mentioned recidivism for Americans that are incarcerated. After graduating from the police academy, my former agency required a stint working in the county jail with a 1000 bed + capacity.

A good number of the guests were " repeat customers" whose lives consisted of short terms outside of the jail, with frequent return visits interrupted only by numerous escapades of crime and chaos inflicted on the public sector.

The solution is elusive to this reader. What I do know is that most of the victims expected and demanded that the criminals be removed from the streets and their ability to prey on the vulnerable be terminated, even if temporarily.

My experience is that there is a small nucleus of people whose lives revolve around a life style alien to most law abiding folk.

If anyone in this forum has a solution, sharing it would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Benmart