British backpacker arrested for suspected murder of fellow Britons at Koh Tao

webfact

"what your friends think about ghosts doing it has nothing to do with the murder or its investigation. its just one more attempt to to bash thais and demonstrate how these silly superstitious thais are obviously inferior to the sophisticated westerners".

I think the comment is of interest since it is local Thais who could be hoped might provide some leads. And as Mataloe stated "it happened in Thailand."

of course its of interest! To the innumerable farang in here who take constant delight in using every opportunity to show how inferior thais and thailand are to the sophisticated westerner.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"what your friends think about ghosts doing it has nothing to do with the murder or its investigation. its just one more attempt to to bash thais and demonstrate how these silly superstitious thais are obviously inferior to the sophisticated westerners".

I think the comment is of interest since it is local Thais who could be hoped might provide some leads. And as Mataloe stated "it happened in Thailand."

of course its of interest! To the innumerable farang in here who take constant delight in using every opportunity to show how inferior thais and thailand are to the sophisticated westerner.

Yes, the sophisticated westerner who thinks by clasping ones hands together and muttering some words they can conjure an all-mighty being into manipulating the outcome of future events.

Thanks for the comedy.

who is the LM cigarette most smoked by, Thai's. or Brits, or others?

Thai without a doubt, theres 60+ m of them its available nationwide not just tourist areas

Your wrong, LM is smoked by all nationallitys on the island, even I smoked them

No im correct, there are millions more thais smoking LM than any other nationality in Thailand... proof ? easy, because theres millions more of them than any other nationality in their own country. thumbsup.gif

Maybe the investigators are trying to look like 1970s TV series character with the rumpled raincoat, ever-present cigar, bumbling demeanour and Sherlock Holmesian powers of deduction, disarmingly polite homicide detective Lieutenant Colombo. He took on some of the most cunning murderers in Los Angeles, most of whom made one fatal, irrevocable mistake: underestimating his investigative genius.

stop whining and apologising for what should be simple policing steps a child can follow. fed up with the excuses of incompetence the fact of the matter is a Thai is as likely a suspect as anyone else but they have said otherwise, so either they know that for a fact or are unwilling to conduct a proper investigation... why ?

It has nothing to do with sophistication or inferiority but rather something else.

i was talking about another poster ridiculing thais who have nothing to do with the murder. perhaps you should re-read it.

Yes, the sophisticated westerner who thinks by clasping ones hands together and muttering some words they can conjure an all-mighty being into manipulating the outcome of future events.

Thanks for the comedy.

I aint the one sayin theyre sophisticated

This article sums up whats going on

Thailand really isn't that safe for backpacker females http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2014/09/ko-tao-murders-thailands-legacy.html

what is the murder and/or assault rate of women tourists to thailand per 100,000 visits as compared to other tourist destinations?

Here's a broadsheet newspaper saying 'the frequency [of deaths in Thailand] is very significant. The random, brutal murder of UK tourists [in other destinations] is thankfully relatively rare: cases elsewhere in Asia, the US and the Caribbean made headlines because they are so uncommon.'

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/british-tourists-murdered-in-thailand-the-sinister-streak-lurking-beneath-seeming-paradise-9733837.html

And BBC Radio 4

Hannah-Witheridge-BBC4.JPG

The other point of that Andrew Drummond article is the frequency of cover-ups, tortured confessions, Thai headlines like 'Insurance scam suspected', and the prevalence of media to imply the girls were being promiscous, having sex on beaches, wearing bikinis, agreeing to sex then inviting violence when refusing anal sex, the list goes on. All with little to no evidence, shameful victim blaming. As another BBC reporter said that does seem endemic to Thailand with its 'patriarchal culture forgiving to the males involved in sexual assault cases'.

Even if it isn't endemic to Thailand, it isn't Thai bashing as you call it to point out that a country isn't particularly safe. I'm sure Baghdad is considerably less safe.

Edited by jspill

I tell u this

I just talked to thai friends about it, and thier version of the story is even more ridicules, but gives u idea on thier mind set.

They tell that every mountian, beach, jungle got spiritual person, like ghost who look after place, and u cant disrespect him..

So they reckon that ghost did it b cuz they had sex on the beach....

and then they tell me some examples from past where helicopter crashed in jungle, and they could not find it and ghost stories.....

And they dead serious about it, so acording to them, they think it ghost or whatever u call it...

They up to 28 years old, bachelors, living in city...

and people from your country believe that an unemployed carpenter is the son of a god who impregnated his mother! whats your point?

is there any proof that Jesus worked as a carpenter?

and, Mary was his wife, they had children and fled the area after he was taken off the cross

afterall, 2 days isnt enough time to die on a cross, it generally took over a week

i really dont care what YOU believe, I'm talkin about huge numbers of your countrymen.

some say the proliferation of the church's and their tax exempt status is a freemason scam to fleece the old and gullible

This article sums up whats going on

Thailand really isn't that safe for backpacker females http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2014/09/ko-tao-murders-thailands-legacy.html

what is the murder and/or assault rate of women tourists to thailand per 100,000 visits as compared to other tourist destinations?

Here's a broadsheet newspaper saying 'the frequency [of deaths in Thailand] is very significant. The random, brutal murder of UK tourists [in other destinations] is thankfully relatively rare: cases elsewhere in Asia, the US and the Caribbean made headlines because they are so uncommon.'

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/british-tourists-murdered-in-thailand-the-sinister-streak-lurking-beneath-seeming-paradise-9733837.html

And BBC Radio 4

Hannah-Witheridge-BBC4.JPG

The other point of that Andrew Drummond article is the frequency of cover-ups, tortured confessions, Thai headlines like 'Insurance scam suspected', and the prevalence of media to imply the girls were being promiscous, having sex on beaches, wearing bikinis, agreeing to sex then inviting violence when refusing anal sex, the list goes on. All with little to no evidence, shameful victim blaming. As another BBC reporter said that does seem endemic to Thailand with its 'patriarchal culture forgiving to the males involved in sexual assault cases'.

Even if it isn't endemic to Thailand, it isn't Thai bashing as you call it to point out that a country isn't particularly safe. I'm sure Baghdad is considerably less safe.

13 murders per 4 million tourist visits = 0.325 murders per one hundred thousand. unless british get murdered at a higher rate than canadians that is not far off quite a few other countries. in fact jamaica seems far more dangerous.

2000-2010 Violence per 100,000 overnight Canadian visitors

Country Violence rate* Assault rate Murder rate Australia 2.475 2.207 0.269 Austria 0.137 0.137 0 Belgium 0.752 0.752 0 Hong Kong 0.437 0.437 0 Mainland China 7.759 7.38 0.379 Cuba 1.591 1.547 0.044 Dominican Republic 1.679 1.339 0.340 France 0.847 0.847 0 Germany 0.378 0.351 0.027 Greece 2.076 2.076 0 Ireland 0.171 0.171 0 Italy 0.816 0.791 0.026 Jamaica 5.34 3.609 1.731 Japan 2.648 2.5 0.149 Mexico 3.077 2.809 0.268 Netherlands 0.416 0.312 0.105 Spain 0.631 0.631 0 Switzerland 0.053 0.053 0 United Kingdom 0.338 0.283 0.055 United States 0.088 0.040 0.048

Source: Department of Foreign Affairs, Statistics Canada. Rate is

• Like 1

I tell u this

I just talked to thai friends about it, and thier version of the story is even more ridicules, but gives u idea on thier mind set.

They tell that every mountian, beach, jungle got spiritual person, like ghost who look after place, and u cant disrespect him..

and then they tell me some examples from past where helicopter crashed in jungle, and they could not find it and ghost stories.....

And they dead serious about it, so acording to them, they think it ghost or whatever u call it...

In the several days I have been posting on this forum, this is by far the stupidest post I have read.

Based on the sentence I have highlighted, can this post not be removed? - it is that ridiculous and deserves to taken down

You don't think that there are a percentage of Thais who believe that this act could have been carried out by ghosts.

Go and ask your wife if she thinks its possible.

• Like 1

I tell u this

and people from your country believe that an unemployed carpenter is the son of a god who impregnated his mother! whats your point?

is there any proof that Jesus worked as a carpenter?

and, Mary was his wife, they had children and fled the area after he was taken off the cross

afterall, 2 days isn't enough time to die on a cross, it generally took over a week

i really dont care what YOU believe

A strident discussion of animism and christianity.

I suppose it's to be expected after a thousand plus posts.

coffee1.gif

It is not safe for young girls in Thailand

Ask any Thai girl

This is true, Prayuth was right but he lacked the political correctness required by most westerners these days so they turned on him.

It's not safe for young good looking women here to be alone anywhere at night. They risk being raped and murdered, everyone knows that.

I suspect it's largely a drug induced thing, that Yabba stuff sends people crazy and they do crazy things.

Right on all counts !

One reported flame post removed and one derogatory post removed. Note these rules you agreed to when you signed up at Thai Visa forum ....

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

I am sure anyone who has spent any time with any Thai girls, regardless of their station in life,

will tell you how they are mistreated when they are out

If you are with one at any bars frequented by westerners and you go to the restroom for more than a minute, when you return, you will find some drunkard asking her if she is "working"

I let the girl I was with walk back to the room ahead of me a few steps as we were both carrying groceries and I went back to the store for something, and as I entered the store, an english guy pulled up on a motorbike and tried to get her to go with him

its sad for them

Edited by SteveFong

wow, I knew about the no rape cars,

I didnt realize they had parking levels for them too

the thai girl I stayed with, in a gated community by safari world, locked her door every time she went in, every door, and refused to leave anything open on the 1st floor when she went upstairs

I am sure anyone who has spent any time with any Thai girls, regardless of their station in life,

will tell you how they are mistreated when they are out

If you are with one at any bars frequented by westerners and you go to the restroom for more than a minute, when you return, you will find some drunkard asking her if she is "working"

I let the girl I was with walk back to the room ahead of me a few steps as we were both carrying groceries and I went back to the store for something, and as I entered the store, an english guy pulled up on a motorbike and tried to get her to go with him

its sad for them

only in the areas you obviously frequent