Can I do a visa run?

So I've been living in Thailand for 2+ years and have had a work permit nearly all that time. I've now quit my job and my work permit expires very soon, so I'd like to switch back to tourist for a while until I figure things out. I know I can go to an embassy somewhere and get a tourist visa, but I'd just like to know if anyone thinks I would have a problem doing a border hop instead, as I don't want to waste a double entry tourist visa should I have to leave for an extended amount of time within the next month.

My plan:

- Bus from Bangkok to Siem Reap crossing the border on the last date of my work permit.

- Stay in SIem Reap two nights and visit Angkor Wat.

- Bus back to Bangkok and presumably receive a 30 day stamp as I'm from a G7 country.

Should also be noted that as I got a new passport last year I have no tourist stamps or tourist visas in my passport and as I've been here on a work permit for a while now I have no future flight booked out of the country.

Should I have any issues with this or would I need to fly back Siem Reap or do I need to get a tourist visa?

Don't you get that when you pass through Thai customs on your way out of the country ?

Sometime, at some land borders (but not at the airport) they require that when when you leave while on certain type an extension of stay and do not have a re-entry permit, your extension has been cancelled at the immigration office. That happens with non-imm B and ED.

In practice that means that on the day your work permit expires or you finish going to school, you go to immigration with a letter, get the cancellation stamp, then leave the same day, or get a 7 days extension, cost t 1,900.

Don't you get that when you pass through Thai customs on your way out of the country ?

You get exit stamp if pass Thai Immigration, but at land border they usually check if you really worked up to the last date and if they not believe you, they will refuse you to leave the country.

The OP is best advised to fly out, but could reenter via land border.

If someone has an education visa and extension and gets a job and wants to cross the border to get non immigrant B visa for the new job do they need something to cancel their education extension or will it cancel automatically if they leave without reentry permit?

If someone has an education visa and extension and gets a job and wants to cross the border to get non immigrant B visa for the new job do they need something to cancel their education extension or will it cancel automatically if they leave without reentry permit?

They don't look for canceled extensions other than for those that are for working. When you leave the extension ends.

• Like 1

Well thanks much for that info, I think you really saved me a lot of headache as I would have never thought I'd have to cancel it myself before leaving.

Does anyone know, can I get it canceled a week in advance of the expiry? So if my work permit expires Sept 30, I go to immigration on Sept 23 with a letter stating my contract is finished on the 30th and get the cancellation stamp so I can leave on the 30th? It's not exactly practical for me to spend the morning cancelling it and then immediately leave the same day.

Well thanks much for that info, I think you really saved me a lot of headache as I would have never thought I'd have to cancel it myself before leaving.

Does anyone know, can I get it canceled a week in advance of the expiry? So if my work permit expires Sept 30, I go to immigration on Sept 23 with a letter stating my contract is finished on the 30th and get the cancellation stamp so I can leave on the 30th? It's not exactly practical for me to spend the morning cancelling it and then immediately leave the same day.

You can go a few days early to cancel your extension or you could apply for a 7 day extension.