Thai PM questions if 'tourists in bikinis' safe after Koh Tao murders

webfact

Mods, now we can say whatever we want about the army and Khun Prayuth?

Within reason, without malice or program I assume the answer would be 'yes'.

Now that surely leaves enough wriggling space to politely suggest that the general seems to have opinions similar to many Thais. Lots of them seem to frown upon public display of female flesh. Even a boob on Songkhran is a no-no, Nok Air's new year calendar studied intensily, things like that.

Yes lots of them are still in the stone age... I like the general for what he is doing but on this point he is a dinosaur.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The limitations of removing accountable democracy are becoming very apparent.

This has absolutely nothing to do with democracy... Unless there was a vote on to just to rape... or to rape and kill. Perhaps there was a vote on which instrument of death they were to use?

Looks like democracy won out on this one if one followed you're idiotic post.

Someone needs to get brave enough and go and tell the boss, that it is customary when someone has had their head bludgeoned, that saying anything that can be construed as "they were asking for it" or that it reflects on your own reputation badly, are considered in extremly bad taste when put into the western media.

Not sure if anyone has the balls or the freedom to tell him.

• Like 1

This is going to go down a bundle with the press.

Maybe they should issue burkas for the tourists at the airport. Someone please shut this numpty up. Obviously they were asking for it, because they were wearing swimming costumes on a beach. Obviously, the reason why red light districts have naked girls swinging around poles in doors is for their own safety.

So, by this numptys' definition, tourists should not expect to come to Thailand and where standard beach uniform for fear of their own safety.

Someone please shut this numpty up. Yes someone please do.

"Obviously they were asking for it, because they were wearing swimming costumes on a beach."

They were killed in the early hours of the morning after leaving a bar together where they had spent the evening, do you really think they were wearing their swimming "costumes"?

Its quite customary for late night beach partying for people to wear swimming costumes. Or is the statement meaning that they should have been safe if they were wearing jeans.....

So it's all in the clothes. Bikinis will get you raped/ murdered (but only if you are beautiful) and wearing red will get you shot (but only if you demonstrate for free elections) Thank god wearing sandals is still ok.

Not sure about bikinis,

But having sex on a public beach is probably a bit risky in Thailand.

Especially down south will all the Muslims around.

• Like 2

The general needs an official spokesman to save the nation from his off-the-cuff comments, which if continued will damage the county's reputation.

It's a bit too late; this country's 'reputation' and ' image' has been through the shredder more times than i can remember and facts have to be faced, most Western tourists come to Thailand for the sandy beaches sold to them by the travel agencies who give them brochures and show them pictures of people on said beaches wearing bikini's et al. The 'other' type of tourist needs no brochure and knows exactly where he will find his fun.

Ask ten people in just about any Western country what Thailand is known for and half will say the beaches and the other half will say sex. The Thai's do not really have any idea whatsoever how their country is viewed from the outside and for the most part couldn't care a less. Looking for sympathy from the General for the victims family's is a waste of time as we all know that all Thai's will push responsibility onto anyone other than accept it themselves, even for the smallest mistake or wrong doing.

I agree with your sentiments, however until the cause of this brutal murder and the culprit(s) are apprehended everyone including the General needs to be respectful. The General needs to keep his mouth shut, or at least let someone else do the talking for him. The OP is embarrassing for a country that welcomes tourists from G7 countries.

Blaming bikinis?

So it's all in the clothes. Bikinis will get you raped/ murdered (but only if you are beautiful) and wearing red will get you shot (but only if you demonstrate for free elections) Thank god wearing sandals is still ok.

A terrible crime was committed against tourists on holiday, but you have to drag them into your political cesspool of politics.

• Like 1

A terrible crime was committed against tourists on holiday, but you have to drag them into your political cesspool of politics.

This has absolutely nothing to do with democracy... Unless there was a vote on to just to rape... or to rape and kill. Perhaps there was a vote on which instrument of death they were to use?

In an accountable democracy there are accountable politicians.

Well it wasn't a politician that committed this crime...

There are always problems with tourist safety. They think our country is beautiful and is safe so they can do whatever they want, they can wear bikinis and walk everywhere,

This is supposedly what the General said, but I assume he was speaking his mother tongue, so just a translation.

​He could as easily have be saying there are times and places where it is better not too, I recall be advised to wear a shirt when I got of a boat because it was a Muslim village, only to see many of the local males top less.

On a busy beach during the day no problem, I have seen women topless, but on a secluded beach at night, maybe a little different.

Exactly how many murders have happened to bikini clad girls. And what is the ratio to non bikini murders?

Great advertisement for Thai beaches though with high season coming on.

Enjoy the beaches of Thailand, in your street clothes - so you don't get killed! That outta go over well.

He could have said no, and reitired from the Army in September and took up fishing or butterlfly collecting nobody put a gun to his head... WHO persuaded him?

- his conscience

- all he has stood for in his army life

- some unnamed people

- Suthep, Thaksin and so

- TFV members

Need I continue this list?

"- TFV members". What? Are you insane?

I agree with your sentiments, however until the cause of this brutal murder and the culprit(s) are apprehended everyone including the General needs to be respectful. The General needs to keep his mouth shut, or at least let someone else do the talking for him. The OP is embarrassing for a country that welcomes tourists from G7 countries.

Blaming bikinis?

"Blaming bikinis?"

He didn't. Why can't posters on here read properly?

• Like 1

"I'm not sure how safe it is to leave your Mercedes running while you're shopping in the mall."

'I'm not sure how safe it is to walk around Nana with a fistful of hundred dollar bills hanging from your shirt pocket."

"I'm not sure how safe it is to leave your front and back door open while you're away on vacation."

All pretty reasonable statements. But make it about rape, and all of a sudden he's blaming the victims?

There's the way the world should be, and the way it really is. To a sexual predator, a bikini on a gorgeous woman looks a lot like a running Mercedes looks to a car thief, or a fistful of money looks to a pickpocket.

The guy's making sense. And I cut him some slack when I think of all the poor translations I've read during my Asian experience..

Well the statement should be, unfortunately "our country is not as safe as advertised, and for that we are sorry".

• Like 1

Gosh, we seem to have a whole new crowd of critics; Fobuff 129 posts, 2fishin2 161 posts, triplebank999 172 posts, Thailandnoob 264 posts, SirBser 25 posts, Fred Flinstone 9 posts, (Fred I must tell you, your style reminds me of Wanda Sloan)

and Lildragon 109 posts.

Welcome aboard, by the way what happened to the last bunch? I miss Moonao, my personal favorite, he could get the "thug" word into a post 3 or 4 times. Ahh the good old days!

• Like 2

“But can they be safe in bikinis... unless they are not beautiful?" he said” blink.png

Just keep talking.

Expose your ignorance, misogyny and any other twisted logic that might spill out.

Wait for it.

You will see it all over the International Press.

And then you may wonder, who is tarnishing Thailand’s image?

“…they can do whatever they want, they can wear bikinis and walk everywhere"

I missed the part of the Murders where they were in bikinis and walking everywhere.

“Thailand is desperate to avoid further damage to the nation's lucrative tourism industry”

“With the start of the tourist high season just two months away,

the junta had vowed to restore the nation's reputation as the "Land of Smiles" wai2.gif wai.gif

Yup.

There’s the bottom line.

This is a leader?

cheesy.gif cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I’ve stated it before, it would take generations of re-education before people with this kind of mentality can join the civilized thinking world.

• Like 2

In an accountable democracy there are accountable politicians.

Yes, but that's not the case here is it? but keep beating on about it, if it makes you feel better

• Like 1

He could have said no, and reitired from the Army in September and took up fishing or butterlfly collecting nobody put a gun to his head... WHO persuaded him?

- his conscience

- all he has stood for in his army life

- some unnamed people

- Suthep, Thaksin and so

- TFV members

Need I continue this list?

"- TFV members". What? Are you insane?

Sorry, a typo. That should read "TVF" as in "Thai Visa Forum" wai.gif

The general needs an official spokesman to save the nation from his off-the-cuff comments, which if continued will damage the county's reputation.

It's a bit too late; this country's 'reputation' and ' image' has been through the shredder more times than i can remember and facts have to be faced, most Western tourists come to Thailand for the sandy beaches sold to them by the travel agencies who give them brochures and show them pictures of people on said beaches wearing bikini's et al. The 'other' type of tourist needs no brochure and knows exactly where he will find his fun.

Ask ten people in just about any Western country what Thailand is known for and half will say the beaches and the other half will say sex. The Thai's do not really have any idea whatsoever how their country is viewed from the outside and for the most part couldn't care a less. Looking for sympathy from the General for the victims family's is a waste of time as we all know that all Thai's will push responsibility onto anyone other than accept it themselves, even for the smallest mistake or wrong doing.

Blaming bikinis?

Pray tell why you explicitly mention "tourists from G7" ?

Is the remark of PM Prayuth acceptable for tourists from elsewhere ?

There's the way the world should be, and the way it really is. To a sexual predator, a bikini on a gorgeous woman looks a lot like a running Mercedes looks to a car thief, or a fistful of money looks to a pickpocket.

The guy's making sense. And I cut him some slack when I think of all the poor translations I've read during my Asian experience..

Well the statement should be, unfortunately "our country is not as safe as advertised, and for that we are sorry".

Maybe that’s exactly what he’s saying. And that it’s time for some collective soul searching.

I don’t understand Thai, and I’ll never understand all the idioms. Just like 99% of Asians won’t understand “Tilting at windmills”- especially if it were a literal translation.

I’m pretty sure there are Thai equivalents of the Don Quixote story, and I would be clueless if an idiom from one of those stories bit me in the butt.

So out of that ignorance on my part, I’m choosing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt…

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

"I'm not sure how safe it is to leave your Mercedes running while you're shopping in the mall."

'I'm not sure how safe it is to walk around Nana with a fistful of hundred dollar bills hanging from your shirt pocket."

"I'm not sure how safe it is to leave your front and back door open while you're away on vacation."

All pretty reasonable statements. But make it about rape, and all of a sudden he's blaming the victims?

I have trouble following your logic of giving some other "reasonable" statements that are not alike the one we are talking about as some sort of point that his statement made sense.

The only resemblance is the structure of the sentence.

Maybe that’s exactly what he’s saying. And that it’s time for some collective soul searching.

I don’t understand Thai, and I’ll never understand all the idioms. Just like 99% of Asians won’t understand “Tilting at windmills”- especially if it were a literal translation.

I’m pretty sure there are Thai equivalents of the Don Quixote story, and I would be clueless if an idiom from one of those stories bit me in the butt.

So out of that ignorance on my part, I’m choosing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt…

Before he came up with the bikini line he said that Thais are supposed to tell foreign tourists what times it is safe for them to be outside which must be very reassuring for tourists.

He seems to be losing the plot which is a pity. Maybe time for a minder to give him well written scripts on international topics and shoo the media away when he's read it out, like Yingluck.

• Like 1