Thai PM questions if 'tourists in bikinis' safe after Koh Tao murders

webfact

General Prayuth, there MIGHT be a time for those reflections/observations. However, now is the time for expressing regret/sympathy/horror rather than some lame, half-arsed "blame the victim" approach. Not nice.

He isn't really a politician, now is he ?

How dare you..... he is the duly elected Prime Minister .... (cue British pantomime stylee shout from the back)...

Oh no he's not !

• Like 1

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the General speak English? perhaps if he said what he had to say in English perhaps there wouldn't have been any confusion?

Why are you being such a vocal apologist for the PM, it appears that the majority of posters have clearly interpreted the two statements from the General/PM have had an opposite effect to what he intended, even some ardent supporters of his are also saying his comments lacked tact or diplomacy, are they all wrong, and you're right? I'll assume you're speaking on the Generals behalf then?

Honestly, instead of leaping to his defence, try and undestand why people are clearly quite livid about his comments, and please enlighten us all to what he really meant, seeing as you are in full on adulation mode for him.

It's simple, he should go back on TV and say in English that his remarks have been taken out of context, and that should clear that up right away.. He's becoming more and more like the Duke of Edinburgh with his insensitive remarks and comments.. They may not have been his intentions, but that's the way some of his comments are coming across to the public.

His PR department need a right good hard kick to the chukies, and they should be proof reading his scripts, or at the very least stop him from making off the cuff comments.

You do realise that you can go from Hero to Zero in 2 easy steps?

and folk use to take the p*ss out of Yingluck (remember her ?) for her imperfect English !

The general was stating what many Thai people think. Some people think they are in anything-goes farangland. They're not. Thailand is an outwardly conservative place despite what goes on behind closed doors.

Many Thais admire the general's straight talking and many will agree with him.

and there in a nutshell lies the problem and why not a single Thai of my wife's wide circle of friends in the UK wants to return to Thailand permanently. They know what real freedom and civilisation feels like.

• Like 2

Quote UK paper

The Prime Minister of Thailand has caused outrage today by appearing to criticise the behaviour of two Britons brutally murdered on an idyllic island.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ochas questioned whether 'beautiful bikini-wearing tourists' are safe in his country - remarks which are likely to infuriate the relatives of David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23.

As reported by Channel News Asia, in a live TV broadcast, the PM said about tourists: "They think our country is beautiful and is safe so they can do whatever they want, they can wear bikinis and walk everywhere."

He then added: "....can they be safe in bikinis... unless they are not beautiful?".

CLICK HERE FOR UPDATES OF THE POLICE INVESTIGATION

It follows previous comments Thailand's PM made in which he said "We have to look into the behaviour of the other party (Miss Witheridge and Mr Miller) too".

His remarks - which appear to blame the two young Brits for what happened to them - will no doubt infuriate their families.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/thailand-beach-murders-fury-thai-4274831#ixzz3DcBMlqxr
whistling.gifwhistling.gif
whistling.gif

Adios many UK tourists in future

• Like 1

Posts containing comments that could be construed as being negative toward the Junta have been removed.

Posts that exceeded the nested quote limit have been removed because it was too messed up to make head or tail of who said what. Please try to minimize nested quotes to the one or two that you are actually replying to. Thanks.

In many South American countries, hotels by the ocean have security personnel on the beach to "protect" its open minded guest from local curiosity and to avoid problems, and in the US people only can be "open minded" in restricted areas. I consider my wife a modern conservative Thai woman, and she is shocked by takes on Western movies showing naked bodies, sex, and passional kissing. And she cannot understand parcial nudity, like on the Brazilian Carnival and beaches. She is a beautiful woman, and I am Brazillian. I will love to see her wearing sexy oufits and tangas, but in Thailand women showing afection and its bodies in public, are considered prostitutes, scorts, etc, etc, and its also againts Buddhist traditions. Why in the world I will insist in her to feel different, or put myself in the position to show my wife in other way, and not in what she is. A decent Thai woman.

I have 2 beautiful mature married daughters in Brazil that frequents the beach practically naked, alone or with her families, and it is totally normal there, and they are planning in visit Thailand. My first advice will be, no Brazilian bikinis here on public beaches, only by the hotel pool.

When I move to the US in 1993, and I used a sunga by the pool for first time, that is a "bikini" for men very common in Brazil, my American wife make me change it, and never to use it again....She was a very modern and well traveled woman. I used In Europe and she was topless. It is not about rules, It all about differences in culture, and common sense....but.for some people only ruling works. Like it or not.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The general needs an official spokesman to save the nation from his off-the-cuff comments, which if continued will damage the county's reputation.

If you look at the media around the world I'd say that he already has damaged the countries reputation.....

• Like 1

"can they be safe in bikinis... unless they are not beautiful?"

welcome to the 1950s!

how can statements like this help the investigation?

......or maybe he could cast his mind back to the time when many Thai women were topless (just last century)

one way or another the PM seems determined to put some of the blame on the victims.

Edited by wilcopops

In many South American countries, hotels by the ocean have security personnel on the beach to "protect" its open minded guest from local curiosity and to avoid problems, and in the US people only can be "open minded" in restricted areas. I consider my wife a modern conservative Thai woman, and she is shocked by takes on Western movies showing naked bodies, sex, and passional kissing. And she cannot understand parcial nudity, like on the Brazilian Carnival and beaches. She is a beautiful woman, and I am Brazillian. I will love to see her wearing sexy oufits and tangas, but in Thailand women showing afection and its bodies in public, are considered prostitutes, scorts, etc, etc, and its also againts Buddhist traditions. Why in the world I will insist in her to feel different, or put myself in the position to show my wife in other way, and not in what she is. A decent Thai woman.

I have 2 beautiful mature married daughters in Brazil that frequents the beach practically naked, alone or with her families, and it is totally normal there, and they are planning in visit Thailand. My first advice will be, no Brazilian bikinis here on public beaches, only by the hotel pool.

When I move to the US in 1993, and I used a sunga by the pool for first time, that is a "bikini" for men very common in Brazil, my American wife make me change it, and never to use it again....She was a very modern and well traveled woman. I used In Europe and she was topless. It is not about rules, It all about differences in culture, and common sense....but.for some people only ruling works. Like it or not.

It's not about culture, it's about shifting the blame.

• Like 1

Thai PM questions if 'tourists in bikinis' safe after murders

by Anusak KONGLANG

BANGKOK, September 17, 2014 (AFP) - Thailand's military ruler on Wednesday questioned whether tourists in bikinis are safe in the kingdom, in comments following the murder of two Britons whose battered bodies were found on a Thai island.

"There are always problems with tourist safety. They think our country is beautiful and is safe so they can do whatever they want, they can wear bikinis and walk everywhere," Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha, who is also the army chief, told government officials.

But "can they be safe in bikinis... unless they are not beautiful?" he said, addressing the issue of tourist safety in a speech broadcast live on television.

Thailand is desperate to avoid further damage to the nation's lucrative tourism industry, which has been battered in recent months after a prolonged political crisis ended in a coup.

Is this really what was said because if so it rather implies that Thailand isn't safe and tourists should not expect to walk everywhere. Apparently if 'they are not beautiful' it's all OK. If I were a potential tourist deciding where to go on holiday I don't think I would choose Thailand if I cannot walk around and wear a bikini on the beach - assuming I wanted a safe relaxing beach holiday. Maybe the General is right - don't come to Thailand because it isn't safe yet. Wait until these problems are resolved or be happy to stay In your room and not walk around!

I have to believe there is a 'lost in translation' element to this though maybe the reality is precisely what the English translation affords.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

When Minister of Tourism Chumphon made a remark close to "accepting a dinner is close to an invitation to rape" he didn't step down, nor did PM Yingluck (a woman herself) force him to step down. The fury against PM Prayuth now seems much more political motivated than anything else.

The Thai society can be very conservative in name bordering on hypocricy. At times TVF members are not much better

• Like 2

Bearing in mind his rather conservative views on (tourists) wearing bikinis, what on earth does the poor guy think about his country's shameless and rampant sex industry? Having such a high moral standpoint on matters of a sexual nature, it can only be a matter of time before he sets his puritanical mind to cleaning up that seedy mess. Something he must consider an embarrassment, a national disgrace. All that sex is asking for trouble, isn't it? Maybe. I don't know.

Edited by blumenkraft
  • Like 2

Many typical TV comments about his comments. All with Western mind sets. Can't blame them, they are Westerners.

But the General is Thai, and his mindset is rooted in Thai culture. Similarly, we can't blame him for this. I don't see that him being in the military all his life has much to do with it. Many Thais are pretty shocked when they see Western women in bikinis on the beach.

What is all this bullshit about Thais being ultra conservative against nudity?

Do the locals look appalled here? Virtually every party in Issan takes this format with bikini clad girls. Issan is ironically the region where most of the TVF coup mongerers live, despite their cringeworthy claims of marriage to hiso princesses.

Just to counter further the inevitable "if you hung around rich Chinese Thais like myself you would understand" I`ve been around these mega rich Thai students countless times in London and many of them dress equally slutty. Have a look at these hiso types at TSQ club in London - https://www.facebook.com/tsqclub/photos_stream- I suppose the general would also suggest these girls were fair game for some "surprise sex" because they weren`t dressed like nuns?

The lengths some will go on here to defend their great leader is genuinely disturbing.

The lengths some will go to turn an unfortunate off the cuff remark into an excuse to use these deaths into a pro Shinawatra rally make me sick. Talk about the General being insensitive, you guys could teach him a thing or two.

• Like 1

Koh Tao is not very large, and has been hosting tourists for decades.

I'm sure that there have been thousands of bikini-wearers (pretty or otherwise), people have had sex in secluded spots before, and some skinny-dipping.

So this incident is an anomaly.

It's like the south of France - the locals do not batter an E at the topless sunbathers, but newcomers do take a second glance.

Another home goal by the Thai Authorities, not only are the Police showing that there investigative skills are poor unless of course they can coerce/intimidate and / or force a confession from alleged offenders , but now we have the Pm who I do actually respect uttering complete gobbly- gook about dress etc and linking it to the murder, what a load of absoliute hogwash. That comment could have some bearing of the victim had been acting in a manner which would raise the proverbial blood levels, but this time she was with a man she liked obviously and did nothing to cause any action to be taken against her. So that comment with respect PM is bloody stupid.

When Minister of Tourism Chumphon made a remark close to "accepting a dinner is close to an invitation to rape" he didn't step down, nor did PM Yingluck (a woman herself) force him to step down. The fury against PM Prayuth now seems much more political motivated than anything else.

The Thai society can be very conservative in name bordering on hypocricy. At times TVF members are not much better

So two wrongs make a right, then?