What happened to the milk?

Andyfarquar

One thing that has always impressed me in CM is the seemingly uninterruptible supply of fresh, pasteurised milk in all its'forms and brands... Until last week. About 10 days or so ago, the supply dried up and it is now hard to find in 7-11 or supermarket alike. Does anyone know why and when the supply will be reinstated?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, no worries.

Try badger milk instead.

It's healthier than cow milk.

We are at full production at the moment as shortage of cow milk in CM has increased badger milk production.

My hands and my colleagues hands are aching.

Ant milk will take a little longer to reach CM......the buggers don't produce enough.

• Like 2

It was on the news yesterday. All the dairy cows went on strike and aren't producing anymore milk.

Very few dairies in Thailand,certainly not enough for the local market.Think you will find that most milk product comes from NZ, in powdered form, and bottled here.

With the increase in the Kiwi dollar it would also explain price rises over the last few months

• Like 1

It was on the news yesterday. All the dairy cows went on strike and aren't producing anymore milk.

Very few dairies in Thailand,certainly not enough for the local market.Think you will find that most milk product comes from NZ, in powdered form, and bottled here.

With the increase in the Kiwi dollar it would also explain price rises over the last few months

For the love of god, how many times must this point be debated on this forum, it;s been proven time and time again that is simply not the case. Please search the forum and read what has been written on this point, many many times.

It'll be debated until the cows come home laugh.png

Wifey got fresh raw milk yesterday from our local dairy, to make yogurt. Most of local production goes to skool milk, not the supermarkets.

Edited by MESmith
  • Like 2

The wife was just telling me that there's been no large bottles of the Meiji full fat in any of the supermarkets in the south. Even 7-11 only has one or two bottles of the smaller sizes. Chok Chai will do her in a pinch but definitely no Foremost or Dutch Mill. Unlucky Costa - no badger milk sales here. Maybe I'll try your badger milk yoghurt though smile.png

So it seems to be a country wide problem.

Edited by schondie
  • Like 1

Real Milk has been gone for a month now.

Meiji and Chok Chai, which appear to be real milk, gone.

Dutch Farm and Foremost, which appear to be powdered milk, still around.

(I used to believe Chok Chai and MeiJi were also powdered, but recently changed my mind)

The Thai/Danish Dairy in Huay Keow Rd seems to be busy, with a tanker coming in each day. I buy 5 litres of pasteurised milk at a time there for my yoghurt making and household use.

It tastes good and makes excellent yoghurt.

For the love of god, how many times must this point be debated on this forum, it;s been proven time and time again that is simply not the case. Please search the forum and read what has been written on this point, many many times.

Correct, my wife used to work for a milk factory in Saraphi, there are loads of milk farms.....she used to get 4-6 truck loads of milk a day there from surrounding dairy farms.

The trucks are the really shiny silver tankers you see around.

I don't know why some people think it's powdered milk, it's not.

Edited by kjhbigv
  • Like 1

OP, no worries.

Try badger milk instead.

It's healthier than cow milk.

We are at full production at the moment as shortage of cow milk in CM has increased badger milk production.

My hands and my colleagues hands are aching.

Ant milk will take a little longer to reach CM......the buggers don't produce enough.

Perhaps humor is not your strong attribute.

And definitely not yours.

Never seen the large size in any 7/11 in 11 years I have been here..

saying that in the last 4 weeks have been to Big C twice and Tesco Lotus once also NO big milk.. plenty of the medium size [2lt]

In the next Village yesterday at 7/11 they had 1x only 2lt bottle @ 89 baht exp date 21-9-14, but had lots of 1 lt @ 44 baht bought 2 as exp date was 2-10-14, and will be gone long before then..

normally go ever 3 months to Makro and the large milk [5lt] is 188 baht and long exp date..

In 9 years living and traveling in Thailand I've never seen a diary cow!

I heard it all comes from China.

Dairy farms started here more than 50 years ago

Below old figures but an indication.;

EDIT wont display correctly

go to #3 on this site..

http://ilri.org/infoserv/Webpub/fulldocs/South_South/ch12.htm

Edited by andreandre
  • Like 1

If you head to the hot springs at SanKamphaeng, you will pass through Mae On, and you will see that the town mascot is a Fresian cow. There are lots of diary cows out there.

We have also noticed the milk shortage over the last 2 weeks. We use Meiji full fat, and have not seen a large bottle in 2 weeks. Usually shop at Tesco Hang Dong and Rimping Nim City.

There are only a few thousand dairy farms in the Chok Chai District with milk cans lined up on the roads. Kick in San Sai, Sankampang and the west side of Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

I asked my local coffee shop, they say,

Can only use Meiji full fat as the other milk doesn't froth up.

Meiji has not been reliably available in local shops for 2-3 weeks, have to order direct delivery from Meiji now.

Big disease outbreak has infected Thai cows, many farms have stopped production.

They were unsure if it was the disease ruining the milk, or the medicine the cows were on ruining the milk.

I'm thinking bovine TB?