Scottish independence: Decision day

webfact

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get it ok both ways but I'm in the UK too. Perhaps it's being in Thailand that's the problem.

Edited by sustento

And when is the English vote to decide if Scotland should leave?

A union has 2 or more parts and all parts should be involved in the decision process equally.

...and the award for the most facile comment of the WHOLE DEBATE......

It is facile that the Scots think they have the only right or vote to decide what happens to the Union. Every part of the union should be allowed its voice. That is democracy. What the Scots want is not.

The international convention is that all members of a country/union have the right to vote on a break up and you are very much right to state this, but our precious Government chose to forego that right for reasons best known to themselves. Thus, the complaint is best directed at them.

Unfortunately the Scottish people are too much worried about a life without England that this will happen .

You have every chance to succeed as an independent nation.

90% of the oil & gas reserves belongs to Scotland. You could be one of the richest countries in Europe if you choose independence. With an oil fund worth billions of dollars you dont have to worry so much for the future , just like Norway who's been wealthy since the oil started pumping up from the North sea 30 years ago. .

But no , it looks like you choose a union with England instead. Good luck with that .

Edited by balo

Unfortunately the Scottish people are too much worried about a life without England that this will happen .

90% of the oil & gas reserves belongs to Scotland. You could be one of the richest countries in Europe if you choose independence. With an oil fund worth billions of dollars you dont have to worry so much for the future , just like Norway who's been wealthy since the oil started pumping up from the North sea 30 years ago. .

Completely false. There's massive investment in alternative energy sources and we're only just starting to see the fruits of that. In the coming years the alternative energy sources will become the main energy sources and it won't be profitable to go drilling for oil in the North Sea. How would they pay for their extravagant welfare state plans then?

But no , it looks like you choose a union with England instead. Good luck with that .

What is this "you" rubbish? Are they the same as "the Scottish people"?

Most of the Scots I know consider themselves to be British. Myself being English consider myself the same.

You on the other hand don't appear to have much of any coherence to say.

I do believe it's been no all along and the pollsters and papers have been puffing it up to sell their product.

Bring forth the Swingometer!

Don't worry about that. Is it yes yet?

No, no these events are nothing without Peter Snow and his Swingometer. It's the only reason to stay up and watch.

The BBC can go forth and multiply....unless they have a webcam on Cameron as the votes come in....that would go viral.

Don't worry about that. Is it yes yet?

No, no these events are nothing without Peter Snow and his Swingometer. It's the only reason to stay up and watch.

The BBC can go forth and multiply....unless they have a webcam on Cameron as the votes come in....that would go viral.

I always thought it was Channel 4, but no that's Peter's brother Jon.

And we conquered Ireland as well , Dublin (viking name Dyflin) was a viking city until 1014 after ruling in Ireland for 3 centuries.

So my ancestors and most Scottish ancestors , we both have some viking blood in us. Why do you think you'll still see blond hair , blue eyed people in the UK? The vikings mixed with the population 1300 years ago.

They obviously didn't get as far as Bradford though did they.

Perhaps you haven't been there lately.

Better get cracking! There's only an hour left till the polling booths close.

swingometer.jpg

clap2.gif

Yes bring on old Peter. I didn't know he was still at it.

Can we watch him on a video stream?

There's no exit poll. But they have this weird load of virtual reality boxes scaled to the size of the vote that's already confusing the hell out of me. Really pushed the boat out for this one.

• Like 1

Bookies and betting exchanges showing an implied probability of 85% chance of a no vote and rising. That's the end of that for the next 10 years or so.

Well I hope you are righ etb.

And in that case do we just forget about it, sing Land of Hope and Glory, and go through this agony again. Will we never ever learn!

I think the Scots are telling us English to stop electing crap incompetent politicians with no integrity, who care more for GDP than the welfare of the common man, and who to boot can't even grow GDP anyway!

I don't think the dust will settle either side of the border even if there is a clear no vote. It's about time the Muppet Show in Westminster is ended.

If we do scrape through we got off lightly.

And probably because of Gordon Brown, who appears to be worth 10 of any current Westminster politician.

Agree with what you say, however regarding Gordon Bigot Brown lets not forget he was at the helm along with his fellow Scott Tony Lier Blair for 13yrs, causing a complete upheaval to the structure of the fabric of our country, yet must admit his speech the other day was awe inspiring.

It's a pity your not Scottish, you could have ignored all the economic data and voted "YES"

An interesting article below worth a read.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/scottish-independence-five-reasons-salmond-is-secretly-hoping-for-a-no-vote-9738636.html

Scottish independence vote.Live ongoing reports here.

http://www.bbc.com/news/events/scotland-decides/live

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1