Scottish independence: Decision day

webfact

Scottish independence: Voters answer referendum question

(BBC) People in Scotland will vote later on whether the country should stay in the UK or become an independent nation.

Voters will answer "Yes" or "No" to the referendum question: "Should Scotland be an independent country?"

With 4,285,323 people - 97% of the electorate - registered to vote, a historically high turnout is expected.

Votes will be cast at 2,608 polling places across the country between 07:00 and 22:00 on Thursday. The result is expected early on Friday morning.

Votes will be counted in each of Scotland's 32 local authority areas.

These will include votes cast from the 789,024 postal vote applications, which was the largest volume of registration for postal votes ever in Scotland.

Result declaration

After votes have been tallied, the counting officer in each area will communicate the result to the chief counting officer Mary Pitcaithly in Edinburgh.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-29238890

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-09-18

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And when is the English vote to decide if Scotland should leave?

A union has 2 or more parts and all parts should be involved in the decision process equally.

Do you mean that if a wife (or husband) wants a divorce the other spouse has to approve first?

• Like 2

A union has 2 or more parts and all parts should be involved in the decision process equally.

What are you talking about "When is the English vote to decide" it is the Scottish people who decide. I am English but I think the Scots would be jumping out the pan into the fire. They more or less rule them selves now, they will not get into the Euro Union, they will have to produce their own currency, and if they float it they will be in a right pickle. It will also damage their Whisky industry. Good luck to them any way.

Emotions mount before Scotland votes on independence

THE United Kingdom teeters on the brink of potentially breaking up today as leaders made last minute appeals to voters on the future of the 300-year-old union amid mass rallies, divided polls and flared tempers over the future of Scotland.

More than four million voters are expected to visit a voting booth, including 124,000 first-time 16 ad 17-year-old voters to answer the simple question of whether Scotland should be an independent nation.

Only a yes or no answer is required but the issue has never been that clear cut and the outcome is expected to be decided by an estimated 400,000 voters who remained undecided up to the moment they entered their local polling booth.

The referendum was yesterday described by Scotland’s First Minister Alex Salmond as the “most exciting day in Scottish democracy” as he called on voters to “seize the opportunity” and back independence.

He was given a hero’s reception as he told a packed rally of 1500 supporters in Perth to continue to appeal to those around them for independence to the moment they case their vote.

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/emotions-mount-before-scotland-votes-on-independence/story-fnh81p7g-1227062135314

news.com.au.jpg
-- News.com.au 2014-09-18

I'd be open to a vote on if the welsh like to join us or go with their Celtic brethren.

Northern Island like ways

3 questions on the ballot.

- become part of Ireland

- Join the independent scots

- continue in the union.

That would fun no? Let's get all silly this history settled at the ballot box once and for all.

• Like 1

My Mum was born in Scotland, Dad born in England.

I'll be first in the queue for a Scottish passport.

Then I'll do what the Maoris have done in New Zealand - sue the English government continually for billions of quid for the next two centuries for all the wrongdoings they've done to my Scottish forbears.

• Like 1

Do you mean that if a wife (or husband) wants a divorce the other spouse has to approve first?

Or that the one with by far the most people should be able out vote the smaller nations based on population alone? Not much in that Union for anyone other than the English do what they want and to hell with the rest.

Or that the one with by far the most people should be able out vote the smaller nations based on population alone? Not much in that Union for anyone other than the English do what they want and to hell with the rest.

The vote doesn't have to be one man one vote for the English as it is for the Scots. How the voting is managed/apportioned is a totally different matter.

But do you really think the English would vote to keep the Scots? I think not and that maybe is what scares some people and why the vote is one-sided.

This one-sided vote is the Scots doing what they want and to hell with the rest. Since when has two wrongs made a right.

• Like 2

What are you talking about "When is the English vote to decide" it is the Scottish people who decide. I am English but I think the Scots would be jumping out the pan into the fire. They more or less rule them selves now, they will not get into the Euro Union, they will have to produce their own currency, and if they float it they will be in a right pickle. It will also damage their Whisky industry. Good luck to them any way.

You have failed to give any reason why only one part of a union should decide.

I'm English and want a vote to help them on their way.

think when kent and essex are governed from edinburgh the english can have a vote on leaving the union.

good luck to all scots, hope it's a yes vote. don't think it will be in the end thanks to the enormous propaganda campaign that has been behind the 'no' faction, but it's still a monumental day in the country's history.

Interestingly my sources in England told me there was almost no interest in the referendum until few weeks ago when the YES voters caught up in the polls. I noticed the same reaction in Pattaya as well.

Great - when's the vote for independent Pattaya? ;)

• Like 1

Agree... and after 300 odd years its now decision time and we should have the results around this time tomorrow......

Whats the future ? .....a New Nation or more of the same?...at the moment.....its mai Ko Jai........

All down to the voters of Scotland....

For me there can only be one response.............YES....wai2.gif

All down to voters of Scotland - and sod the other 3 nations and their peoples.

How this can be all legal is amazing. Talk about tail wagging the dog.

• Like 2

Great - when's the vote for independent Pattaya? wink.png

It would be the other way around: should Pattaya officially become part of the UK?

Maybe if YES prevails in the future the US will consider letting Texas go off on its own. buh-bye!

• Like 1

Agree... and after 300 odd years its now decision time and we should have the results around this time tomorrow......

Whats the future ? .....a New Nation or more of the same?...at the moment.....its mai Ko Jai........

All down to the voters of Scotland....

For me there can only be one response.............YES....wai2.gif

I find it hard to believe the vote is going to be close....its a whole lot of YES I am hearing! smile.png