Ios 8 today

kingalfred

Would back it up on itunes >> restore factory setting >> Update >> reinstall previous settings work?

Franky what are you trying to do ??

Restore your Pictures ?

How did you do your upgrade ? OTA or via iTunes ? iTunes automatically creates a backup before upgrading.

I won't be upgrading for a good few weeks as i'm offshore. Only asking so i know in advance what's the best way to update

Would back it up on itunes >> restore factory setting >> Update >> reinstall previous settings work?

Restore your Pictures ?

How did you do your upgrade ? OTA or via iTunes ? iTunes automatically creates a backup before upgrading.

I won't be upgrading for a good few weeks as i'm offshore. Only asking so i know in advance what's the best way to update

The best way is

- Backup your Pictures (if you are scared of losing them (here is an easy guide http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/761442-how-to-backup-your-pictures-from-your-iphone-ipad-to-pc/

- Make sure you have enough space on your iPhone

- connect it to iTunes and make a Backup of Apps and Settings and the rest

- Let iTunes download the update.

- Before iTunes will start the upgrade it will make another backup

Leave the phone connected to the PC all the time (don't disconnect)

And that's about it, when your iPhone shows up again under iTunes you can disconnect it and start using it.

If you do an Upgrade OTA (over the Air) via 3G or wireless, just make sure that you have a backup (just in case) if something fails (It's always a good idea to have a backup or 2 or 3 to fall back on wink.png)

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

Many problems reported. Doesn't affect everyone but some are affected severely, especially with regard to specialty uses such as music production.

I'm in no hurry....

Gary. Links please like to read them

wai.gif

Edited by MJCM

I am guilty of just installing, yes i have photos missing, that were on my phone, I believe that it says to backup it, but didn't pay attention,

not a great big issue if you download them periodically!

Now on the good stuff, i like what has happened to the iPhoto, faster, better photos, in texting, siri does a much better job, and when typing words appear up from message

of what the phone thinks you will be typing, just hit the word and on to the next, i like this, and all kind of small icons and smley faces if you like this stuff!

overall, we just have to get used to the new different programs, I feel once you get used to it, you will like it!

• Like 1

Trust me your pics ain't lost (I hope wai.gif ) on my iPhone they where just a bit hidden.

In my iPhone they are now under Photos and NOT under Albums, just a bit getting used too.

I also updated my wife's iPhone (and she has Maaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyyy Pictures) and after upgrading all her pictures were still there.

Edited by MJCM

Restore your Pictures ?

The best way is

- Backup your Pictures (if you are scared of losing them (here is an easy guide http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/761442-how-to-backup-your-pictures-from-your-iphone-ipad-to-pc/

- Make sure you have enough space on your iPhone

- connect it to iTunes and make a Backup of Apps and Settings and the rest

- Let iTunes download the update.

- Before iTunes will start the upgrade it will make another backup

Leave the phone connected to the PC all the time (don't disconnect)

And that's about it, when your iPhone shows up again under iTunes you can disconnect it and start using it.

If you do an Upgrade OTA (over the Air) via 3G or wireless, just make sure that you have a backup (just in case) if something fails (It's always a good idea to have a backup or 2 or 3 to fall back on wink.png)

I should have mentioned my Iphone is the 16gb...i don't have enough room to update, that's why i was thinking of going back to factory settings. (I use a MBP as my laptop)

I upgraded my iPhone 5 this morning

iPhone 5

3BB 10Mb

Capa: 57.1 GB

Avail before installing: 26.86 GB

Avail after installing: 26.36 GB

Download start: 11:37

Download Finish 11:59

Downloaded Size (1.67 GB) Total downloaded: 1,783,721,984 bytes

Install start: 12:00

Install Finished: 12:05

Re: Battery

My iPad last night had 89% battery left, this morning when I woke up, (almost noon wink.png ) it had 84% left. SO that's good.

There is only one thing that bothers me, why is Bluetooth enabled after upgrading your firmware even when it was disabled before upgrading ??

It always is with any iOS upgrade. Damned if they do and damned if they don't. People will whinge either way. I just in into Settings and off the bits I dont want live.

I did OTA ON AN IPhone 5, an iPad Air and a Mini. All good and going swimmingly. Plays nicely with Yosemite (I'm on the public Beta), battery life is better, although mine was already great and it's nippy. Very responsive. I even re-enabled the parallax effects to check how it affects battery and still good.

Happy camper.

@FrankyBear

If you go back to Factory Settings you will erase everything from your phone.

Restoring a Backup will not be usefull because as you said you don't have a enough space now then after update you will be left with even less space.

Example (Data used are just examples)

16GB iPhone

Backup is 15.5 GB (Includes Pictures, Apps etc)

After Factory restore left with 15.8 GB

Update to IOS 8, you are left with 15.4 GB of Space

So you can't restore the Backup because the Backup occupies more space then there is available on your Phone.

The only solutions available are a- Remove stuff from your Phone or b- buy a phone with more storage (that's why I bought the 64GB iPhone, but only the 32 GB for the missus and her phone is always full with stuff (sh*** loads of pictures) while on my mine I still have 20 GB++ free ermm.gif

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

I upgraded my iPhone 5 this morning

<snip>

There is only one thing that bothers me, why is Bluetooth enabled after upgrading your firmware even when it was disabled before upgrading ??

It always is with any iOS upgrade. Damned if they do and damned if they don't. People will whinge either way. I just in into Settings and off the bits I dont want live.

I just wanna know why they do it. Maybe it's because of support purposes ? You even don't have to get into settings just in the Home Screen Slide Up and there you can turn it of.thumbsup.gif

Most people don't really familiarise themselves with Settings properly and could care less, so if Apple launch a new OS and tout Handoff, or Continuity and don't enable Bluetooth, they'd have shed loads of buyers bleating that it didn't work. For those of us who are more familiar, we know that BT eats battery life, as does a poor cell or wifi signal and we manage our settings accordingly.

So, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. They take the slightly easier option.

• Like 1

WOW 15 minutes of downloading, I bet you are not in Thailand thumbsup.gif

I just checked again and for my iPad it's 15 hours+ and for the iPhone around the same.

Will wait

I am in Spain at the moment.

IOS8 took only a few mins on a 15Gb WiFi.

On reading that it deletes photos, I hooked up to a win 7 64 PC and file copied the photos and .mov's. Nothing lost but it wouldn't automatically copy the DCIM and sub folders, I had to create directories and copy the files.

It all worked so nothing lost.

My iPad Air is a 64Gb with about 16Gb spare. Bought in Big C, it was the biggest in stock at the time of purchase.

Funny that our Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 also updated today.....

Let's hope that they have fixed some of those "frozen moments" LOL, but then a reboot fixed that LOL

@FrankyBear

If you go back to Factory Settings you will erase everything from your phone.

Restoring a Backup will not be usefull because as you said you don't have a enough space now then after update you will be left with even less space.

Example (Data used are just examples)

16GB iPhone

Backup is 15.5 GB (Includes Pictures, Apps etc)

After Factory restore left with 15.8 GB

Update to IOS 8, you are left with 15.4 GB of Space

So you can't restore the Backup because the Backup occupies more space then there is available on your Phone.

The only solutions available are a- Remove stuff from your Phone or b- buy a phone with more storage (that's why I bought the 64GB iPhone, but only the 32 GB for the missus and her phone is always full with stuff (sh*** loads of pictures) while on my mine I still have 20 GB++ free ermm.gif

and if you backup manually by file copy, you can delete loads of unwanted stuff. Then go through them and delete the duplicate copies, eyes closed, blurred, lighting wrong etc and trim the archive even more.

Takes time to do it though. LOL

Maybe I am lucky! I have a 64GB iPad 3.

Downloaded sometime, I never noticed until it offered the install.

Install took 20 mins.

Only immediate issue was that it restarted with the screen dimmed.

Using it tonight for firs time since install.

Normally after 2 hours of 3G usage in emails, I would have a battery % of aprrox 87%, tonight it is still at 99%.

Like I say, maybe i am lucky.

This is a dumb question probably. On windows when upgrading the OS you can choose which version to install.

If I buy the iphone 4 (price v cheap now) I am assuming apple will want encourage downloading an OS upgrade at some point. iOS 8 could potentially render the iphone4 useless. Is there any way of choosing the earlier upgrade? Say IOS 6 or 7 ?

Regarding the OP's question regarding battery life, Arstechnica compared battery life between iOS 7.1.2 and iOS 8 and found that while iOS 8 added features, battery life remains essentially the same.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/ios-8-thoroughly-reviewed/11/#performance

Note that iOS 8 adds a battery usage panel in Settings so that you can see which apps are consuming the most power and you can shut those processes down if you wish.

• Like 1

This is a dumb question probably. On windows when upgrading the OS you can choose which version to install.

If I buy the iphone 4 (price v cheap now) I am assuming apple will want encourage downloading an OS upgrade at some point. iOS 8 could potentially render the iphone4 useless. Is there any way of choosing the earlier upgrade? Say IOS 6 or 7 ?

No. If you ever upgrade IOS you can never go back.

Apple will not install anything but the latest IOS version the hardware will support.

If you have IOS 6 or 7 the only way to keep them is to not upgrade.

The apple servers will not verify older installs, iTunes requires all IOS installs are verified by Apple.

No. If you ever upgrade IOS you can never go back.

Apple will not install anything but the latest IOS version the hardware will support.

If you have IOS 6 or 7 the only way to keep them is to not upgrade.

The apple servers will not verify older installs, iTunes requires all IOS installs are verified by Apple.

Apple requires minimum iPhone 4s to install iOS 8, so I don't think you could install it on an iPhone 4 even if you wanted to. Maybe with a lot of hassle risking bricking the phone. And you can revert back to an older version if you want to. Google is your friend.

Sorry, but that is patently untrue.

Se here: http://m.imore.com/how-downgrade-ios-711-ios-8-beta-iphone-and-ipad

One of many links showing you how to do it..

HTH

If you look at the OP question. For the OP it is totally true that you can't go back. It is also true that you never have an option to choose the IOS version to install either with iTunes or over the air (install or not yes, version to install never). You will have Apple backing for this.

Certainly if you have enough tech knowledge, ability, and time. In some cases you may be able to restore a previous system. Under some conditions you may even be able to install an old version. You may also have a brick. And you are on your own.

There is a difference between a tech user and the OP.

I have an iPhone 4 and ios 8 is not available so you don't have to worry about upgrading to it

I prefer ios 7 to ios 6 - only real negative I've found is that you cannot delete an entire album in one go - only song by song

Edited by narkeddiver