Ios 8 today

kingalfred

I started upgrading my iPad but I cancelled after the remaining (download) time increased from 14 to 18++ hours.

I will wait a couple of days and start again.

Ps: Update for my iPad (Air) is around 1.2Gb so I expect the update for the iPhone to be approx the same size, so start removing stuff if you don't have the space available.

A lot on twitter saying there's major issues with it. it deletes all your photos.

That's one of the reasons if you upgrade (anything) you first should BACKUP (or Sync with the Cloud) your Data.

Edit 1: Added PS

Ps: Found this (maybe relevant)

http://www.tuaw.com/2014/09/17/you-have-to-delete-your-photos-twice-in-ios-8/

If you've successfully updated your iPhone or iPad to iOS today you'll notice a change in the way the system deals with your photos. Instead of immediately deleting them when asked, the photos you choose for elimination fall into a "Recently Deleted" folder, where they remain for up to 30 days before actually being deleted.

Once photos are deleted and caught in the new album you can select them again and either restore them to your camera roll or actually delete them so they can't be found again.

This is either a great thing -- if you've ever accidentally deleted a precious photo, you know that a safety net would have helped -- or just a needless additional step, if you're the kind who frequently clears out your photo albums and simply doesn't want to do it twice.

Edited by MJCM

A lot on twitter saying there's major issues with it. it deletes all your photos.

Also found this, so I think a lot to do because of nothing

Apple released the update Wednesday, sending customers in a blind fit of rage upon realizing they'd have to delete apps, photos and music basically everything they have ever been and ever will be to make room for the software upgrade.

I literally deleted almost 3,000 pictures off my phone yesterday so I could get IOS8... but now it's saying I don't have storage oh

http://mashable.com/2014/09/17/ios-8-update-twitter-reactions/

So my guess is that the upgrade doesn't delete the pictures but the users do to create space for the upgrade, because they don't have the space available whistling.gif

Edited by MJCM

And I read it uses 4.9gb storage space to install. no thanks

I will let you know tomorrow, but I think that is the max. space needed for upgrade (expand the upgrade file). After that it will delete the files not needed, but again, I will let you know tomorrow.

<text deleted at posters request>

Edited by ubonjoe

WOW 15 minutes of downloading, I bet you are not in Thailand thumbsup.gif

I just checked again and for my iPad it's 15 hours+ and for the iPhone around the same.

Will wait

In Thailand. Using a 13mb 3BB account. I guess 3BB already stored the update on a local server for fast download.

I just checked again and for my iPad it's 15 hours+ and for the iPhone around the same.

Will wait

In Thailand. Using a 13mb 3BB account. I guess 3BB already stored the update on a local server for fast download.

facepalm.gif I am using my TOT line at the moment, will switch to my 3BB line immediately and report back

Question, did you do a OTA Upgrade or via iTunes ?

Edited by MJCM

Will wait

facepalm.gif I am using my TOT line at the moment, will switch to my 3BB line immediately and report back

Question, did you do a OTA Upgrade or via iTunes ?

OTA. Haven't used iTunes since I went from iPhone 5 to 5s a year ago.

My iPad Air finished upgrading and fairly quickly (thanks Gulfsailor)

Here is a summary of the installation.

Capacity: 27.4 GB
Available space: 23.2 GB

Download Start 17:38
Download Finish 18:15

Downloaded in total: 2,149,666,816 bytes

(Download time is of course depending on your speed and time of day and weather and how many beers you had etc etc (nahh just kidding about the last 2)

Install started: 18:15
Install Finished: 18:20

Available Space after upgrade 22.4 GB, so on my iPad it takes an extra 800 MB of data, and thats oke

Edit 1: Added Ps

Edit 2: Added PsPs

Ps: Ooh I forgot, all my pictures are still on my iPad after the upgrade and so is everything else I put there.

PsPs: iPad is an iPad Air and internet provider is 3BB 10Mb.

Edited by MJCM

I upgraded my iPhone 5 this morning

iPhone 5
3BB 10Mb

Capa: 57.1 GB
Avail before installing: 26.86 GB
Avail after installing: 26.36 GB

Download start: 11:37
Download Finish 11:59

Downloaded Size (1.67 GB) Total downloaded: 1,783,721,984 bytes

Install start: 12:00
Install Finished: 12:05

Re: Battery

My iPad last night had 89% battery left, this morning when I woke up, (almost noon wink.png ) it had 84% left. SO that's good.

There is only one thing that bothers me, why is Bluetooth enabled after upgrading your firmware even when it was disabled before upgrading ??

O.K. So if you download the update and instal it through iTunes, as apposed to doing an update on the actual device, you will not need the 4 or 5 Gig available space to install it. It will only need about 1.5 Gig free.

Secondly, when I updated I thought I lost all of the photos in my Photo Stream. I had them backed up, so I wasn't too concerned, but after a few hours, I noticed

that missing Photo Stream photos were actually slowly loading them selves into the new photos app, although the Photo Stream folder is gone, it was adding and mixing the photos from all of my devices into the main photo catalogue. It did take about 24 hours to complete this process, but was done in the background.

As for the battery life, it seemed to take a small hit, but maybe that was partly to do with the photos being added for an extended period. Seems about the same after a few days of usage.

The problems now are very Flaky Wi-Fi syncing. It keeps losing the devices and I have to re-connect them again with the cable. After a few hours it loses them again.

I did the upgrade about a week before the release (when the final version was released to developers) so people upgrading now, might find the photo sync issue even much slower, but I thing that they will show up in a few days.

Would back it up on itunes >> restore factory setting >> Update >> reinstall previous settings work?

Franky what are you trying to do ??

Restore your Pictures ?

How did you do your upgrade ? OTA or via iTunes ? iTunes automatically creates a backup before upgrading.