An Interview with BMW and the F 800 GS

BBJ

During the 1st week in October I have an interview with BMW regarding the recently released (Thai Assembled) BMW F 800 GS.

I have a short list of questions I'd like to ask.

Are the any members who need question answering with interest to the 800 GS?

Thanks

• Like 2

I'd be interested to know if take up in Thailand is as forecast. Most GS in Thailand are 1200 Adventure for the simple reason that 'biggest' and 'most expensive' are the decision criteria. Even it if requires modification to the seat to be able to touch the ground, that is OK.

So, I am sure the plan was primarily around export, but have they sold as many locally as they planned? Every time I at at Barcelona I see one being prepared for collection, so they are selling them here...

• Like 1

I am sorry for a bit off topic but if you have a chance to speak to BMW Thailand, I'd be happy to know if they consider manufacturing the S1000R or R nineT locally which would bring them to reasonable prices.

Regarding the F 800 GS: are the prices on this list up2date? http://www.bmw.co.th/th/en/newvehicles/motorrad/motorrad_dept/2005/retail_price.html

I hope not since it would mean that even locally assembled, it is nearly double the price than in europe.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 2

F800 Gs assembled here if i am not wrong is 530k thb

Interestingly, this is EXACTLY MSRP in the USA. Using an exchange rate of 1:32 530K becomes $16,562.50. the USA MSRP for this bike is $12,090. But in Thailand, you always must add a 30% excise tax for vehicles and 7% VAT for almost everything. When you add that 37%, the $12,090 becomes $16,563.30! Multiply 32 baht and yo get 530,025.60 baht.

So the manufacturer and dealer price is the same; it all comes down to the tax. I think I might rather have the German made unit though.

• Like 1

I've got a couple ..cheers

1. Is the frame size and weight for the F800 GS the same as the 650 GSC.

2. Is the oil delivery system the same as the 650 GSC.

I recently sold my 2010 model 650 in Australia because I live here.

I loved riding it but it had a couple of curses..firstly the oil reservoir was supposedly over filled during initial pre sale factory service and the engine had to be replaced after 1 week. Oil over fill was touted as the engine failure reason. My question now, if this was true do they now build the oil lubrication delivery systems with an oil pressure relief valve for over pressure situations, either from over filling or over temp.

Secondly the bike used to run hot and would be a bugger to re- start when I stopped to refuel.

I love the balance and ride of the machine...would love a new one, but would like to think the above issues have been addressed.

I believe in 2010 the frame size for 650 and 800 cc bikes was the same.

Thanks

I am sorry for a bit off topic but if you have a chance to speak to BMW Thailand, I'd be happy to know if they consider manufacturing the S1000R or R nineT locally which would bring them to reasonable prices.

Regarding the F 800 GS: are the prices on this list up2date? http://www.bmw.co.th/th/en/newvehicles/motorrad/motorrad_dept/2005/retail_price.html

I hope not since it would mean that even locally assembled, it is nearly double the price than in europe.

I'd guess the R nine T will be on the shortlist, given classic bikes popularity in Thailand. Drooling over it already.

The F1200GS is going to be assembled in Thailand next. Friend of a friend already pre-ordered for delivery beginning of 2015, price around 850k - 900k baht. Easy to see why as that's BMWs far and away leading seller world wide...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...