UK 'raises concern' over bikini remarks by Thai PM

webfact

If a further downturn in Thailand's tourist industry also means fewer killings, scammers, crooks, foreigners involved in, organized criminal, prostitution and exploitation of people and the enviorment, I am not upset about it.

Not everyone in Thailand is dependent on the tourist industry and many do not care for it or the kind of tourist it brings here.

There are many ways to make a living, without the "easy money" made taking care of undesirable "visitors, I am sure Thailand would turn it's attention to other, healthier ways of life.

The longer I live in Thailand, the less pleases I am to foreigners looking at the country as their's to do with as they please with no respect for those who live here.

It is not really their oyster!

20-25 million tourists come to Thailand every year, 5-6 of them die, big deal, thats less than 1 in 4-5 million. Its not an unsafe country for tourists, definitely safer than most countries in this planet.

Statistics would say otherwise.
Thailand is officially rated as ABOVE 'extremely dangerous' for violence towards tourists.

Only Central Africa and the worst Middle East countries are considered more dangerous.

America and Europe are given the safest rating.

A Brit is 17x more likely to die in Thailand, than anywhere else overseas.

As for official murder stats, Uk 500/year, Thailand 5,000/year, Burma 15,000/year.

As the PM said, "Foreigners think Thailand is a safe and beautiful place, but it isn't safe".

Disregard the bikini comments, concentrate on the general admitting, Thailand isn't safe for tourists (or anyone else).

I don't place any blame on the young couple, they are on holiday with their brains left at the airport.

I do place some blame on their parents, for not warning them about young foreigners dying under mysterious circumstances in Thailand every year. Parents are supposed to try and protect their young.

The victims were 24-year olds working towards their Masters degrees. They had the ability to research quite possibly more than their aging parents...but all of this is beside the point. The dangers of Thailand, or most other tourist destinations are always played down for financial gain.

Your data is quite informative--I wish that would be found at the top of the search engine query when someone enters in, "Cheap Tropical Vacation Destinations".

I always attempt to discourage my family from vacationing in under-developed countries--primarily because emergency services (police, paramedic) are typically lacking.

20-25 million tourists come to Thailand every year, 5-6 of them die, big deal, thats less than 1 in 4-5 million. Its not an unsafe country for tourists, definitely safer than most countries in this planet.

Statistics would say otherwise.

Thailand is officially rated as ABOVE 'extremely dangerous' for violence towards tourists.

Only Central Africa and the worst Middle East countries are considered more dangerous.

America and Europe are given the safest rating.

A Brit is 17x more likely to die in Thailand, than anywhere else overseas.

As for official murder stats, Uk 500/year, Thailand 5,000/year, Burma 15,000/year.

As the PM said, "Foreigners think Thailand is a safe and beautiful place, but it isn't safe".

Disregard the bikini comments, concentrate on the general admitting, Thailand isn't safe for tourists (or anyone else).

I don't place any blame on the young couple, they are on holiday with their brains left at the airport.

I do place some blame on their parents, for not warning them about young foreigners dying under mysterious circumstances in Thailand every year. Parents are supposed to try and protect their young.

" A Brit is 17x more likely to die in Thailand, than anywhere else overseas." - where can I find this stat?

How can a conservative old man be critical of touri$ts wearing a bikini in a country where sex is one of the main tourist draws and mainstream newspapers often show sexy scantily dressed girls of the newspapers?

Perhaps he recalls a Thailand that existed quite well without mass tourism and the societal ills it creates.

So basically if a Thai lady is walking around wearing skimpy shorts and a revealing top is it fair game to sexually assault her? Absolute rubbish.

What worries me most is not the comments from the PM, but the fact that every day Thai's actually think that's right and can't see this situation for what it is. Are they incapable of being assess the situation or just thick?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo, these comments only pertain to Farang females....................

"...Two of Miller's British friends [...] and several Myanmar migrant workers..." ??? So I have to understand that Thai Police don't even take under consideration possibility that this crime has been done by some Thai citizen criminal ??? coffee1.gif facepalm.gif

Thais may well have been ruled out. This is from the day after:

"One senior officer told the BBC he did not believe a Thai person could have committed such a crime."

post-155312-0-02059600-1411089089_thumb.

So basically if a Thai lady is walking around wearing skimpy shorts and a revealing top is it fair game to sexually assault her? Absolute rubbish.

What worries me most is not the comments from the PM, but the fact that every day Thai's actually think that's right and can't see this situation for what it is. Are they incapable of being assess the situation or just thick?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo, these comments only pertain to Farang females....................

Talk about "thick".

No one has said that wearing a bikini is an acceptable reason to be raped.

All that has been said is an acknowledgement that it happens.

This is apparently too difficult for you to grasp.

Its like saying be careful walking down the street with your wallet full of money and your passport hanging out of your back pocket or someone is likely to grab it.

The above warning is voiced often in most every guide book.

It does not mean that the author condones or supports pickpockets--it simply means the author acknowledges the threat exists.

Does that help you at all to understand?

Edited by ClutchClark

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Maybe insensitive but he has a point. There is no bikinis or even swimming suits worn by locals at local beaches and only a few westernized thais wear them at tourist places and then much bigger than western bikinis. Unfortunately.

The only thais you will see wearing western bikinis are pros looking for a custumer or already with one.

Told this years ago by the wife saying girls in bikinis are putting themselves in danger. Most loso thai men have little respect for women and just see women as meat.

The shorts under skirts are worn for a reason.

That's still backwards-thinking. Doesn't matter if it comes from your wife. Its sexism against men in that it implies they can't control themselves.

Sorry but in this case the man or men could not control themselves..........could not keep their desires to themselves.

Reread what your judgement is based on. The likelyhood of an asault happening go way up for those women dressed in the uniform of working girls. That is the way it is in the real world. Morally right? No. Politically correct??? No. It is not neccesary in Thailand to wear a Burqua, and acceptable attire is changing here, becoming more permissive. But Dorthy we are not in Kansas. I cannot in any way condone sexual assault based on misguided fashion sense, but dressing like a Target???? I don't suggest it...Right or wrong can become dead right or dead wrong. Let the politically correct flames begin.....

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

All youngsters before they come to Thailand should be made aware of the Thai code of conduct and dress. Some might say that the way young European girls dress in

public places could be seen to be an open 'invitation'. Cover up not only when visiting Temples here. Thailand is not Sweden or Ibiza.

Thailand is very safe compared to 99% of the rest of the world, so don't hesitate to come here.

I totally agree with you here.........Thailand is very safe compared to many or maybe most western countries. People need to just keep their wits about them meaning that having sex on a beach particularly where a lot of drugs & alcohol have been consumed would not be a good idea in any country. There are bad people in every country Thailand is no different.

As an ex prison officer of over ten years from Australia is concerned.........I feel safer in Thailand than I would in Australia. Please don't label Thailand as dangerous when your own countries are far from safe.........

I actually think the PM's comments may say more about what he thinks about some Thai men than it does about foreign female tourists wearing bikinis.

Is he saying that Thai men can't be trusted around young attractive western girls in bikinis and therefore, these girls are not safe wearing such attire on the beach in Thailand?

Yep, this is basically what he is saying, if you extend "thai men" to include others in Thailand as well. Not blaming the victim really, but advising safety. Still he said it sarcastically, "So those farang tourists think they can run around uncovered in tiny bikinis and still be safe?" He has issued a formal apology and called for tighter security. He also said that Thailand is safe, but like every country there are bad people too. (http://hilight.kapook.com/view/108253)

This kind of thing happens all to often, and besides trying to make the place safer, tourists should be advised how very dangerous it can be here and provided advice on staying safe. Thailand is much to blame for fostering the perception of Thailand as a sort of hedonistic Disneyland.

Reread what your judgement is based on. The likelyhood of an asault happening go way up for those women dressed in the uniform of working girls. That is the way it is in the real world. Morally right? No. Politically correct??? No. It is not neccesary in Thailand to wear a Burqua, and acceptable attire is changing here, becoming more permissive. But Dorthy we are not in Kansas. I cannot in any way condone sexual assault based on misguided fashion sense, but dressing like a Target???? I don't suggest it...Right or wrong can become dead right or dead wrong. Let the politically correct flames begin.....

The likelihood or a working girl dressed in a mini with 5 inch heels that could eat a tiger for lunch is going to get raped? Not hardly. I watched a dumb Thai motorcycle type guy; Carabao mustache, push a bar girl and then get bottled by one girl, two embedded heel points in his face and another hit him in the crotch with the tool that raises the metal bar doors. I watched another Farang club owner get beat up by a lady who he didn't pay on time; she hired 6 motorcycle taxi guys to help her. Time to take a tour of Soi Buakhow.

"Dressing like a target"?

I believe that is excuse number one from the rapists guide to talking utter faeces.

• Like 1

I like this guy. He speaks the truth. Unlike politicians who invariably lie everytime they speak. Of course this is a terrible terrible act and there can be no excuse. But he doesn't mean that. Why do people like to self sensor themselfs with all the PC stupidity.

If you see a nutter driving a bi bike and 150 km ph then you obviously think - dangerous. If you see some young attractive girsl walking around almost naked then do you not also think - dangerous. If not then your a fool.

----------------

also to anyone that actually thinks that there is free speach in UK papers then they simply need to look at the way the papers have been covering the Scottish Independence issue. Completely biased. If anyone actually ever thinks the BBC is anything but a governement propagands organisation then i have a bridge in london for sale.

God bless Thailand

The truth has a time and a place to be spoken. He is out of touch with the norms of western culture.

The parents of the murdered girl have just arrived in Thailand. Their child is dead. They don't need, nor deserve to hear, the country's "leader" sexualizing their daughter, and deflecting the blame to her, just days after she was brutalized on holiday.

I completely get your point - and I feel so sorry for the parents

- but why should he be in touch with western culture?

what about westerners being in touch with Thai culture?

Are you serious?

You don't think world leaders should be in touch with other cultures? How about their advisers?

In touch does not mean intimately familiar with, it means having a basic understanding, so as to keep relationships between countries stable.
  • Like 1

Lets get real.

Some Burmese bloke will either get fitted up with this or like everything else it will simply vanish from Thai media.

Well, they tried that.

First: The Burmese

Second: The Falang

Third: The Bikini

Forth: The Media

Standard approach.

Blame everyone else. wai2.gifwai.gif

Their own?

They don't seem to be concerned...coffee1.gif

The remarks were not the best, and pretty insensitive. However, an apology has been made, it's not exactly the first time a PM has said something idiotic, and it won't be the last time. It was not The Generals finest hour, however he can certainly atone for it by making sure that The BIBs investigation is stepped up to find the murdering scum.

Regarding dress, some of the sights we have to endure in public places these days is disgusting. Bikinis and speedos, fine on the beach or swimming pool. Walking around shops, streets etc is disrespectful and offensive, and there is no need for it. Thailand has always been conservative on this, it is tolerated but not liked at all. Would people do it in their own country?

The remarks were not the best, and pretty insensitive. However, an apology has been made, it's not exactly the first time a PM has said something idiotic, and it won't be the last time. It was not The Generals finest hour, however he can certainly atone for it by making sure that The BIBs investigation is stepped up to find the murdering scum.

Regarding dress, some of the sights we have to endure in public places these days is disgusting. Bikinis and speedos, fine on the beach or swimming pool. Walking around shops, streets etc is disrespectful and offensive, and there is no need for it. Thailand has always been conservative on this, it is tolerated but not liked at all. Would people do it in their own country?

"Thailand has always been conservative on this,"

Uh huh...

Coming from the Vortex, the Ground Zero of the world in the Sex Trade.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

What an absurd allusion to an illusion. wai2.gifwai.gif

Maybe insensitive but he has a point. There is no bikinis or even swimming suits worn by locals at local beaches and only a few westernized thais wear them at tourist places and then much bigger than western bikinis. Unfortunately.

The only thais you will see wearing western bikinis are pros looking for a custumer or already with one.

Told this years ago by the wife saying girls in bikinis are putting themselves in danger. Most loso thai men have little respect for women and just see women as meat.

The shorts under skirts are worn for a reason.

That's still backwards-thinking. Doesn't matter if it comes from your wife. Its sexism against men in that it implies they can't control themselves.

Well,it's bloody obvious some men can't,how many rapists in jail in any country in the world,eg India.How about the recent train incident,opportunism at its worst.She was available,i'll take her.Some men are just predators.Just hang around schools at get out time and you will see what i mean.

Some cultures promote this idea of men having the right to exercise their animal urges more than others.

Thailand has a permissive attitude to the rights of men over women.

All youngsters before they come to Thailand should be made aware of the Thai code of conduct and dress. Some might say that the way young European girls dress in

public places could be seen to be an open 'invitation'. Cover up not only when visiting Temples here. Thailand is not Sweden or Ibiza.

Thailand is very safe compared to 99% of the rest of the world, so don't hesitate to come here.

I totally agree with you here.........Thailand is very safe compared to many or maybe most western countries. People need to just keep their wits about them meaning that having sex on a beach particularly where a lot of drugs & alcohol have been consumed would not be a good idea in any country. There are bad people in every country Thailand is no different.

As an ex prison officer of over ten years from Australia is concerned.........I feel safer in Thailand than I would in Australia. Please don't label Thailand as dangerous when your own countries are far from safe.........

Aside from betraying the truth about Thailand, what does it matter to you about whether Thailand is painted as unsafe.

In many ways it is, and it is unsafe in direct contrast to the way it is advertised. I will never let my daughters holiday on the islands alone after this. Ever.

• Like 1

"Thailand has always been conservative on this,"

Uh huh...

Coming from the Vortex, the Ground Zero of the world in the Sex Trade.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

What an absurd allusion to an illusion. wai2.gifwai.gif

Believe it or not, life goes on outside of the red light districts.

Well done for showing your lack of awareness

• Like 1

You wrote, "Thailand has always been conservative on this,"

Should read till Phibun made topless dress for women and sarongs for men illegal in 1941.

"Thai people should not appear at public gatherings, in public places, or in city limits without being appropriately dressed. Inappropriate dress includes wearing only underpants, wearing no shirt, or wearing a wraparound cloth."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_cultural_mandates

post-187908-0-61338800-1411104187_thumb.

What does that have to do with attitudes to rape, physical abuse and other issues of womens safety.

Why don't Thai women as a rule where bikinis on beaches? Because it makes men beleive they are available and "up for it". What is the cave man like response to a woman flaunting her physical attributes in Thailand? That she is available and up for it. This applies to Thai and western women.

Why do Thai women dress modestly in most parts of thailand? Because a good percentage of Thai men think that if they are on display they are entitled to a bit of it.

Go see how these women of industry carryr themselves with their horn rimmed specs and silk tunics done up to the neck. Thai culture has a big problem with women and their physical appearance. Remember the poor girl from Chula who wore that revealing dress to a ceremony. Good girls dont show as much as for their own safety as anything else Truly pathetic.

You are deliberately betraying your ignorance of categorising women in Thailand.

1. Take a look at the uni girls below. 2. Thai women don't wear bikinis at the beach because they don't want to get tan.

Your opinion of my opinion is flaming. If you have a different opinion present it and don't insult me by calling me ignorant. Unless you were referring to someone else. It would really be great if you would learn how to use the quote function.

post-187908-0-91111900-1411104580_thumb.

I thought this Topic would have run out steam by now, but note CONSERVATIVE Thailand has many (Resorts ) Read Motels ,scattered all over the Country Big Towns, Small Villages, even in Ultra Conservative Issan. most offer rooms by the hour, just look around but the signs are in Thai!, so one can only presume they are for Thai,for what, a quick nap or a quick y !! talk about double standards!!

What does that have to do with attitudes to rape, physical abuse and other issues of womens safety.

Why don't Thai women as a rule where bikinis on beaches? Because it makes men beleive they are available and "up for it". What is the cave man like response to a woman flaunting her physical attributes in Thailand? That she is available and up for it. This applies to Thai and western women.

Why do Thai women dress modestly in most parts of thailand? Because a good percentage of Thai men think that if they are on display they are entitled to a bit of it.

Go see how these women of industry carryr themselves with their horn rimmed specs and silk tunics done up to the neck. Thai culture has a big problem with women and their physical appearance. Remember the poor girl from Chula who wore that revealing dress to a ceremony. Good girls dont show as much as for their own safety as anything else Truly pathetic.

You are deliberately betraying your ignorance of categorising women in Thailand.

1. Take a look at the uni girls below. 2. Thai women don't wear bikinis at the beach because they don't want to get tan.

Your opinion of my opinion is flaming. If you have a different opinion present it and don't insult me by calling me ignorant. Unless you were referring to someone else. It would really be great if you would learn how to use the quote function.

Good, rich, educated girls don't tan because they dont want to look like girls from bars mate.

What does a tan mean? Why don't they want to tan? Funny how once they are out of Thailand, that issue disappears completely.

I am not flaming. I am countering your arguement that Thai men don't have a permissive attitude towards women who put themselves on display.

The quote issue is to do with the browser on my phone. It doesn't warn of too many quotes until AFTER the post is made.

Edited by Thai at Heart

The Daily Mail website should permanently be block to safe guard all innocent Thais.

I am not sure if they have been paid by Thaksin or what, but lately have been publishing a lot of negative things about Thailand, and some info is not exactly true. For example, it say Prayuth came to be PM from coup. Not true. Prayuth was elected by >97% of the voters.

Yesterday, Daily Mail has gone non-stop bad mouth Prayuth about his comment to alert women not to expose themselves too much. That is a very good fatherly advise. Nothing is wrong with that.

What rubbish. There has been no General Election therefore the General was not voted in by the people.. He has that role because of the Coup, fact.

How is a woman wearing a bikini on a beach exposing herself too much? Do you live on this planet, bikinis are worn safely all over the world on beaches all over the world but no one would ever be stupid enough to suggest that a beautiful woman wearing a bikini on the beach was asking to be raped and murdered,, at least not until now.

It is a stupid and insensitive comment that the poor, grieving family now have to read and it came from the PM of Thailand. Bikinis are sold all over Thailand, what does he want to do next, ban bikini sales to women who are beautiful? Who makes the judgement if they are ugly enough not to be at risk? Do you not see how totally stupid this comment was?

This does absolutely no good for the reputation of Thailand when the "leader of the country" is making remarks like this in the wake of a brutal murder.

I can assure you that people across the world will be reading his comments in disbelief exactly as I am.

Well put! Thank you!

Very poorly put. I don't like this.

In Thailand the culture is NOT to wear revealing clothes.

Anywhere else in the world ?? Middle East for example !!

Everyone always going on about living to the countries rules, but it seems, only when it suits them !

Why does anyone want to wear a bikini in a stinking hot country ? Why do it anyway ?

Abide by Thailand's cultures and don't do it !

Then tell Thailand to put a STOP to the prostitute culture that it is known for the world over

Prayut has a point about protecting oneself. I agree and if I had a daughter, I would be saying the same thing. However, his timing and wording of the statement should have been thought out better.

Whether the victims were scantily clad or not, it is an horrific act to have happened and unfortunately it is something that happens all over the world, not just Thailand. We live in a dangerous world and there are some evil people out there who have a complete disregard for life. It is also shocking but sadly true that many of these crimes go unpunished because the attacker is never found.

My thoughts are with the families of the victims and my hope is that the police may find the vile attacker(s) of this horrendous crime.

but they wear them in the evening in public in many other places. Edited by kingalfred