Thai PM 'sorry' for bikini remarks after Brit murder

webfact

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General Prayuth offers an apology for a slip of the tongue

9-18-2014-8-48-08-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-0cha today offered an apology for his remark about foreign tourists wearing bikinis during his recent briefing of government policies to senior government officials.

He said that he felt uncomfortable that his remark caused a misunderstanding, adding that he didn’t mean to offend anybody and had no intention whatsoever to insult anybody.

The prime minister made the remark apparently referring to the murder of two British tourists, one them a female, on Koh Tao in Surat Thani on Sunday.

Like any country in this world, he said that Thailand has bad people and, therefore, foreign tourists should be aware that there are some places which are unsafe and should be avoided. Nevertheless, he assured that, in general, Thailand is a safe place.

The prime minister disclosed that he had instructed the interior ministry to work out additional measures to provide better protection for foreign tourists and to encourage public participation in the effort to improve safety.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/general-prayuth-offers-apology-slip-tongue/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-18

• Like 1

Bill Clinton "I did not have sexual relations with that women"

It amazes me that some refer to a "human" regrettable remark as a litmus test of the underlying ability for one to rule a country.

When one states "You almost feel sorry for the guy, he is so far out of his depth" which is such a binary, superficial viewpoint one must feel sorry for the guy that posted that comment. Not the person that is human.

I can assume the poster has no friends because humans DO make "slip ups"

"To err is human"

<EDIT> Name me a PTP or UDD member that apologized for making a mistake or as I say for being human? Nope?

This is why reform is needed. Nuff said.

Well done to the good General Preyuth for stepping up and taking responsibility.

You nearly reached the end of a post, before relapsing to type and banging on about the UDD/PTP, etc., again ....

Some young and not so young tourists to tend to treat the islands as a hedonistic booze filled bucket "playground", and then the hard reality of life sometimes ruins the games. It's not nice, it's not right, but it's reality and being "PC" about it doesn't help. Yes, be direct, f***k "PC" ...... tell the girls...if they're going to walk around remote areas in the wee hours in a bikini, they're at risk. It's not nice, it's not right, but it's reality.

Exactly!

Well said.

There is a time and a place for public health warnings and this clearly wasn't it, which is why he has correctly apologized.

BTW, she wasn't wearing a bikini and she wasn't alone, which makes the anti PC rant look pretty stupid IMO.

Some young and not so young tourists to tend to treat the islands as a hedonistic booze filled bucket "playground", and then the hard reality of life sometimes ruins the games. It's not nice, it's not right, but it's reality and being "PC" about it doesn't help. Yes, be direct, <deleted> "PC" ...... tell the girls...if they're going to walk around remote areas in the wee hours in a bikini, they're at risk. It's not nice, it's not right, but it's reality.

Although I can't really disagree, there is a time and place to say these things. After two young people have just been murdered isn't one of them, "PC" or not it was highly insulting.

Anyway this apology may seem little and too late for the average westerner, its however a huge thing for the Thai PM to admit to.

Some young and not so young tourists to tend to treat the islands as a hedonistic booze filled bucket "playground", and then the hard reality of life sometimes ruins the games. It's not nice, it's not right, but it's reality and being "PC" about it doesn't help. Yes, be direct, <deleted> "PC" ...... tell the girls...if they're going to walk around remote areas in the wee hours in a bikini, they're at risk. It's not nice, it's not right, but it's reality.

Are it the tourists that organize those booze filled bucket parties, or are it the Thais ?

• Like 1

I watched a talk show a few days ago regarding the effect social networking is having on politicians (in the USA) who make simple (yet far-reaching) mistakes. and how the country needs to stop casting these sometimes brilliant people into oblivion because of their - humanness - if that is a word.

Hey there, I think you need to clarify what you mean by this statement.

If I am correct, you are saying that "sometimes brilliant politicians", like Prayuth, (laughable)

shouldn't be cast into oblivion because of their humanness? Their humanness???

What does that mean? Their stupidity and ignorance?

He clearly meant that the victim could be blamed for their crime because of circumstantial reasons?

Such as; wearing a swimsuit, that is internationally recognized all over the world, and in EVERY Thai

fashion magazine, is reason for her rape and murder??!!

I am appalled by you, and all others that take to this kind of hypocrisy and ignorant behavior.

Unless you can reply with a reasonable rebuttal, you offer nothing to this thread but ignorance.

Kill me for speculation....but this whole thing reeks of a connected Thai, local (mafia), Yaba smoking freak,

who is "untouchable" because of his family connections, committing the crime.

Oh yeah, like THAT NEVER happens in Thailand. Again....just speculation from actual experiences.

Remember the 13 year old girl who was raped and thrown from the train? They quickly blamed that on a "contract worker".

I'm surprised none of the left wing women's rights media/journos have given him grief over the "...unless they are not beautiful." aspect of his comment.

I am not surprised --- all those ageing female office staffers must have consulted their mirrors prior to muttering something about "slender, natural beauty..."

Edited by thurien

So women in bikinis will be raped and murdered but those in pants spared?

I watched a talk show a few days ago regarding the effect social networking is having on politicians (in the USA) who make simple (yet far-reaching) mistakes. and how the country needs to stop casting these sometimes brilliant people into oblivion because of their - humanness - if that is a word.

If I am correct, you are saying that "sometimes brilliant politicians", like Prayuth, (laughable)

He clearly meant that the victim could be blamed for their crime because of circumstantial reasons?

Such as; wearing a swimsuit, that is internationally recognized all over the world, and in EVERY Thai

I am appalled by you, and all others that take to this kind of hypocrisy and ignorant behavior.

Unless you can reply with a reasonable rebuttal, you offer nothing to this thread but ignorance.

Take it easy on those steroids, tough guy.

"to err is human; to forgive, divine" (Alexander Pope, "Essay on Criticism")

To you he intended to blame the victim in some way. In reality the translation of what he said is no different to other conservative people in European history. Heard of the Victorian era? Temptation is the downfall of man and all that crap. People actually still believe this stuff so he is not coming from a different planet...

He is not comparable to ISIS as some moron wrote earlier, just a leader who is not used to being in the spotlight and misspoke. Does this deserve the outpouring of hatred and condemnation?

Here's an idea, let everyone who thinks they could do better present their thoughts on whether it is advisable for young people to be drinking and wandering around scantily clothed at 3am, in a deserted area anywhere in the world?

• Like 1

Prayut Chan-O-Cha, is a General.

Although my personal belief is that he is a good soldier and a good man and cares to the outmost for his country,

He is not a politician and he is not a diplomat.

He should have never accepted the position of PM.

He should have chosen people with experience for this position while he could command from the background.

Cracks started appearing in his administration and that because of lack of any political experience.

He has to realize that you don't run a country as you run the army.

The sooner he realizes that the better for him and Thailand.

Hope he doesn't fall in the same trap that all dictators have fallen and that is the thirst for power trap.

Surely the majority of Thais don't share your view.

You don't see any positives from what he has been doing the last few months? You believe that things were better before he started the clean up?

I have seen many positives that he has done and I believe he will carry on taking Thailand to a better future.

But he is allowing himself by not being a diplomat to be taken apart by the foreign and Thai media with not very thoughtful comments as the bikini one.

looks he is quite the best imaginable in the moment as PM.

I respect an honest man much more than a politician with a greased tongue and no honor.

Nobody can be perfect everywhere.

A good PR advisor could help to show him in the right light

• Like 1

Brilliant people ? Who are you talking about ?

Brilliant people ? Who are you talking about ?

I am not even going there, it is off topic and irrelevant. Watch back episodes of John Stewart, The Daily Show. Note that your brilliant and his could be different, based purely on your political bias (if you are American).

I agree with what was already said, he has the stones to admit he was wrong. You have to at least respect someone taking personal responsibly here for a change.

That said, he's simply too old fashioned and totally out of touch with the modern world. I think maybe his heart is in the right place, but Thailand has grown into a monster that looks to be beyond his control. Even if he can suppress things, the moment he is out of office and the military has backed off, it's back to business the way it always has been.

I do like how he is cleaning up rotten areas of Thailand. It has been long needed.

Some young and not so young tourists to tend to treat the islands as a hedonistic booze filled bucket "playground", and then the hard reality of life sometimes ruins the games. It's not nice, it's not right, but it's reality and being "PC" about it doesn't help. Yes, be direct, f***k "PC" ...... tell the girls...if they're going to walk around remote areas in the wee hours in a bikini, they're at risk. It's not nice, it's not right, but it's reality.

Exactly!

Well said.

There is a time and a place for public health warnings and this clearly wasn't it, which is why he has correctly apologized.

BTW, she wasn't wearing a bikini and she wasn't alone, which makes the anti PC rant look pretty stupid IMO.

The warning was not specific to this violent incident...and I don't recall anyone suggesting as much.

It was a concerned leader cautioning everyone to be careful...and its a warning I have given to my own daughters and they have passed on to their own daughters.

Get over it.

Edited by ClutchClark

You seem to have trouble connecting dots so here is some help.

Women can have an impact on their own safety by the choices they make.

Ways to increase the risk of being a victim of sexual violence:

--Travel alone.

--Travel alone after midnight.

--Be under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.

--Wear provocative clothing, i.e. dress like a sex worker.

--Have sex in a public area at 3:00 in the morning.

Not much good ever happens after midnight in Thailand. The incidence of drunken brawls, sexual advances, drunk drivers, etc increases greatly.

--Travel alone.

Not much good ever happens after midnight in Thailand. The incidence of drunken brawls, sexual advances, drunk drivers, etc increases greatly.

Not alone, not dressed as a sex worker and not proven to be doing what you're suggesting.

• Like 1

Yes, "Humanness" or perchance, in this case, "THAINESS."

All well and good. He can phrase it 100 ways.

He can warn people to be vigilant, he can warn people to take care, he van threaten wrongdoers with the full threat of the law for threatening and endangering tourists.

What he can't legislate is what people wear.

I mean I find skinny little piece of s**t Thais with their boombox cars and cheap hos offensive to my taste in music.

Shall I rearrange their head. How about trucks with loud adverts. They need a good shoeing I reckon.

There is no law against wearing any type of clothing in Thailand. He would do better to catch the pervs assaulting women.

--Travel alone.

None of which is relevant. Better that piece of poo men learn to control their animal instincts.

• Like 1

Take it easy on those steroids, tough guy.

"to err is human; to forgive, divine" (Alexander Pope, "Essay on Criticism")

To you he intended to blame the victim in some way. In reality the translation of what he said is no different to other conservative people in European history. Heard of the Victorian era? Temptation is the downfall of man and all that crap. People actually still believe this stuff so he is not coming from a different planet...

He is not comparable to ISIS as some moron wrote earlier, just a leader who is not used to being in the spotlight and misspoke. Does this deserve the outpouring of hatred and condemnation?

Here's an idea, let everyone who thinks they could do better present their thoughts on whether it is advisable for young people to be drinking and wandering around scantily clothed at 3am, in a deserted area anywhere in the world?

Clearly it would be unwise. Unless they're not beautiful...

You can minimize the rest of it all you want, those last four words mark him as a genuinely insensitive donkey regardless.

• Like 1

--Travel alone.

Not alone, not dressed as a sex worker and not proven to be doing what you're suggesting.

Good for you then. Glad to hear you follow my advice.