Driving / Car Insurance in Thailand

eastendanto

Can't you see your wife's real intentions now?

If she is the woman you love, I am sure she will understand your concerns, and buddy, I am totally behind your back. You are right on this issue and should stay firm. She is being unreasonable, and just wants assets JUST FOR THE SAKE OF IT. You might as well buy her an airplane. That is how desperate she has become. In life, we must learn to appreciate the things we have, and buy only the things we need. You guys have been going on in life just fine without that car. This is the perfect moment to take your stand. Ask ur wife, choose me or the car.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You have to consider if you buy a car for a person without a driver's license and he cause an accident that that hurt or kill someone. Then it's all your fault because you enabled him. Just don't do it even before you even consider buying a car or any kind of vehicle for him teach him how to drive and put him in traffic school period. it's a 3 day course and Thai regulations for drivers licenses has gotten more difficult than before as regulations got harder but is still much easier than in europe or us. If he can't pass the course and get the license he has no place behind the steering wheel in the first place. I taught my fiancee, sister in law and mother in law how to drive and get drivers license. I never bought them a car however but they are free to use either of my cars if I don't need it and if they can cover damages if they cause it that is not covered by insurance. If I'm away and they want to use my cars they have to follow serviceplan and keep the car clean. People grow with responsibilities and don't live on handouts. Help people to help themselves but don't be stupid to please your wifes ego just to make her dad get a little face in front of his peers.

Sorry, but this is simply not true.

The driver is responsible, not the car owner.

Isn't there a law somewhere, maybe not in Thailand, someone confirm? That says if you lend your car to anyone else, and they are in an accident by drunk driving or illegal activities, the owner is responsible too?

I'm sure I read it somewhere. whistling.gif

I would never buy or give a car to someone who doesn't have a drivers license. Insurance will be void and if he is stopped by police they take the car and he can end up in jail. If police know his daughters farang husband bought it for him. Vet they will ask for a handout 30-50.000 would not be unexpected if they have taken him to the police house. If she want her dad to have some means of transportation and that can load buy him a flatbed motorcycle and some sunblock.

Here is Isaan if the police stop you and you don't have a valid license you bay 200฿ fine and they give you a receipt which ensures if you get caught again in that same day you will avoid the fine!

I shit you not.

• Like 1

Hi I just brought my new truck in my name and I can help you if you like , you buy a new truck here you will get one year and I mean one year free ins not 3 years, no one here give you 3 years ins on a new truck or car be you thai or a wester .

My thai tells me you can buy a car here with no license and you will get ins but if you have a stack the ins will not pay because no license , you see here when you buy the new car , new truck you get free ins with the truck or car .

When I brought my truck the man ask do you have a license and I said yes but he did not look at it so I think yes you can buy it but if you drive out of the car yard and stack the car you are up for paying all the cost because no license .

The test for the license is not hard and the driving test is in a car park what a joke it is here and Thais are very , very bad drives I have been driving back home in Australia for 40 years and I am a truck drive as well and back home the driver can be bad to but here they are a <deleted>?cking joke in all my 40 years of driving and I would have drive around the world in km one or two times that is a lot of km and I can say from time on the road Thais are a joke when it comes to driving .

Your wife says he's friend will teach him but he's friend would be sh?t drive like all the other Thais here , hop that helps you .

in 40 years 2 times around the world ?

one straight round is about 40.000. km, so ?

this i drive every year !

How long are you married? Seems like old style scam ;) You should know the person you marry better... Believe me, I checked that many times with thai girls from high society (I had similar cases and had doubts): girls will never ask buy anything (car, house, appartment) if she loves you... The only problem is that those girls (high society) very likely will refuse foreigners, unless foreigner could confirm that they really love and are serious guys (which is not a case in most situation).

Also, be aware that once you will have no money, you could be left behind... It's also confirmed by many thai girls (they usually say it directly), it's simple 'I am young, what's the reason to be with guy, if he do not have money? I can find another rich guy'. Nothing personal, it's just a business ;)

P.S. you are wasting time arguing with wife, parents are more important than you, their wishes are 100x important than her own life! That's why you must check who is her parents in advance and their financial situation ;)

Edited by GertrudeL
  • Like 1

Mate if SHE paying for the truck then let her, it's her problem. And if not, wake up....

Point is if you want to pay for it that's a different issue and about right or wrong with the insurance matter, that's their problem, unless you are hoping you will have the transport back for yourself, which I personally doubt it very much

Obviously, FIL doesn't need to drive. He's lived all his life without driving & has no need to start now.

The point of the shiny, new truck is to prove to everyone that's he's rich. Buy him a buffalo instead; it will serve the same purpose. No license or insurance is needed. :-)

Dont buy the family anything mate, they will bleed you dry.

Educate and enable them but never just give. Thats my opinion.

My wifes family call me cheap charlie, but thats ok with me. Ive worked hard for what i have and know the value.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

true..once you give them something, then they always ask for more...you work hard for your money ( hard work and thai not really something you can associate together) so why keep giving your money away to people that have done nothing to deserve it ??? You will get no respect from them for buying them anything, greed and selfishness takes over and it will now be your duty to fulfill their greed... Sometimes i think too many farang have more money than sense... its ok being generous and wanting to help people, but these people you help, generally just help themselves.. They get something, they love to show off...then somebody else in their village gets something better, then its back to you to buy something better than the other persons, and keep repeating....and still no thanks given or respect...they will respect you more when you stand up to them and say NO..,,

In answer to OP’s questions, to my knowledge:

1. Many people learn to drive from friends, but legally they shall apply for a Driving License and pass a test.

2. When buying a new car in Thailand First Class insurance is normally included – most Thai insurance follows the car, not driver – typically for 1 year, but some may include longer period, I don’t know. There are 2 insurances, a) the mandatory for third party damage (may not cover all), which all vehicles shall have and provide when paying tax for obtaining the tax-sticker, and B) optional First Class insurance covering your own car and driver & passengers.

3. If an accident happens and driver have no insurance, your own car will not be covered for damage, and the insurance may claim damages paid by driver. And yes, you – or wife – will still have to continue payments to finance…

Why not get the father to “driving school” and pass the test for a Driving License first, and then buy the car…?

Wish you good luck… smile.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks to all the people who responded but never read my question properly and CharlieH for being a good moderator. For anyone who has first hand knowledge of the matter of car insurance in Thailand for a Thai national happy to read their feedback.

Also as others mentioned, most new cars come with 1 year insurance included... No one will ever ask for license when buying car or filling out insurance paperwork

Also no named drivers usually in policy unless you specifically ask for this when renewing

It only becomes relevant to insurance if a claim is made ...

Best, you buy the car in your name, if you finance it and want to do so, to make all happy. wink.png

No need to have drivers licence do purchase a car or to buy a insurance for it.

But better, look for a proper, NR.1 insurance for the car, depending on the price of the car, around 20.000 Baht p. year.

Or some insurance promotion offer from the car sale company. + Government yearly tax for the car.

It is true that a good part of vehicles on TH roads are not insured and also many drive without a license,

but that should be no reason to make it in the same way!

In case of an accident, your insurance can decline payments to you, when they notice, that the driver of your car had no license and you did not care.

Let your father in law make a drivers licence, in a driving school, (most times is one or more situated in the provincial capital), which really teaches rules and driving, not only gives out a licence for a fee.

(Needs a week in Thailand, at least in Udon Thani, as I saw it)

Go with them, check the school out and their habit. You can look their first driving lessons in the compound.smile.png

I think OP already got a lot of advice here?

As long as its not your money , then let her decide what to do . If she's happy and can afford it no problems.

If its your money , say no , if she's not happy with your answer , dump her,

As suggested before just make as primary rule, that he gets a drivers license first. Secondly make sure the second key is with you guys. Yes all car dealerships provide first year free 1st class insurance as well mostly the first 3 years or 100.000 km service.

If your wife still has a bank account in Thailand and a good balance I.e. cash regularly coming into this account it won't be hard to get a car loan. They might ask for a local guarantee to co-sign.

On another note; if accidents occur without a second party, like hitting the carport with the car, the insurance company almost always pays out. In case there is a second party the situation is checked on all details as mostly the police is also involved. Good luck with your decision/purchase.

Just get him to take his test it is more difficult than it used to be if he passes buy it if he fails don't.

I wouldn't buy him one unless it helped him earn a living for the family but the fact that you are asking advise about insurance etc sounds like the wife has your doodas nailed to the table already.

His insurance wouldn't be valid without a current license.

Whatever she said is a lie. In fact they always check both car and motor drivers for a licence. I just bought a motorcycle and had to show my driving licence etc and also had to pay for the insurance. There is no free insurance no where in the world even Thailand.

You must have understood by now that you are a walking ATM. You pay for the car, build a house on their farm, pay for everyone education, etc etc. So stand up now and say now, take it or leave it. And if she decide to leave you, then thank God before it was too late.

Whatever she said is a lie. In fact they always check both car and motor drivers for a licence. I just bought a motorcycle and had to show my driving licence etc and also had to pay for the insurance. There is no free insurance no where in the world even Thailand.

You must have understood by now that you are a walking ATM. You pay for the car, build a house on their farm, pay for everyone education, etc etc. So stand up now and say now, take it or leave it. And if she decide to leave you, then thank God before it was too late.

Well you're wrong. First year class 1 insurance is free when you buy a car.

Most car dealers also offer something extra like free registration for the plates.

You have to consider if you buy a car for a person without a driver's license and he cause an accident that that hurt or kill someone. Then it's all your fault because you enabled him. Just don't do it even before you even consider buying a car or any kind of vehicle for him teach him how to drive and put him in traffic school period. it's a 3 day course and Thai regulations for drivers licenses has gotten more difficult than before as regulations got harder but is still much easier than in europe or us. If he can't pass the course and get the license he has no place behind the steering wheel in the first place. I taught my fiancee, sister in law and mother in law how to drive and get drivers license. I never bought them a car however but they are free to use either of my cars if I don't need it and if they can cover damages if they cause it that is not covered by insurance. If I'm away and they want to use my cars they have to follow serviceplan and keep the car clean. People grow with responsibilities and don't live on handouts. Help people to help themselves but don't be stupid to please your wifes ego just to make her dad get a little face in front of his peers.

Sorry, but this is simply not true.

Isn't there a law somewhere, maybe not in Thailand, someone confirm? That says if you lend your car to anyone else, and they are in an accident by drunk driving or illegal activities, the owner is responsible too?

I'm sure I read it somewhere. whistling.gif

I read many things, including in this thread. And most of the things written are nonsense, just like in this thread.

Since the nature of the business is picking up and transporting construction and farming supplies, a pickup is the only option.

If you just need something to show the neighbors and barrel through town at unsafe speeds and probably be the only survivor, I'd say buy a new pickup.

OK I hold my hands up as a newbie on this forum my questions can be interpreted as naive, dopey or whatever. I did not expect to stir up such emotions to receive so many replies. As there are too many to respond to individually.....

1. Yes she is my wife not girlfriend

2. We live in England not Thailand

3. It's her money and her funding

4. There is no other family other than FIL

I am trying to look after her interests in going through this and many of the responses I have already talked with her about.

For the people (by my definition of category) who responded:-

1. The idiots (who don't even who know they are) - please go back to your Village, they're missing you

2. To the clowns (who know who they are) - don't worry the circus will pass through at some stage and

hire you

3. To the comedians (who may or may not know who they are) - thank you for making me laugh

4. To the bitter n twisted (who know who you are) move forward and get a life, your stuck in the past

5. To the Moderator of this forum.... thank you

6. Last but by no means least, all the people who put forward constructive arguments, criticisms and advice

it is much appreciated

BFN

• Like 1

Why buy anything? Did you buy her (seriously)? If you have a proper and fair marriage then it should be equal. Don't fall for that sin sod crap, unless she's a teen virgin and unmarried. You could end up as another one of these expats who will be on this board in a few years, skint, homeless and asking about dodgy visas.

Put yer foot down man, sort her and her family out now. If that means she goes then you've found something out early.

I believe you Nangrong, are looking at the correct part of this situation. Wife wants him to buy xxxxxxx. First its dad then its mom. Next it will be my sister, brother, aunties buffalow. Nip this in the bud or you will be the laughing stock of nakon Nowhere. You dont get extra respect for bieng what you may call generous or kind, you will get less respect for bieng stupid. &ever more greedy friends & relatives will show up. If she doesn't qualify as a supermodel, Dentist, or world class athelite, she is asking too much already. you are bieng viewed as real easy money. You are damned if you do & damned if you don't. Better be stupid & keep your money than stupid without it. No matter how much you give it will never be enough if she is playing you . I need more your only giving me 100,000 a month a girl in the next village is getting 150,000. You don't love me. Exactly the same argument with exactly the same consequence at 5000 a month. WIFE. how much was the sin sod? Any discussion about this before the Wedding??? If shes gona walk out cause no pickup she'll be walking out at a higher price point in another week month or year anyway. Hospital bills a completely different affair. But go to the Hospital, check. Healthcare another matter. Look after her day by day expenses day by day. Dont pay anything into the future that you may not be a part of. Her Thai husband or boyfriend (if she has one, many do)) wants you milked and tossed, If she is genuine about sticking with you Look after her well today, Tommorow look after her well tommorow. As for buying anything she/he could sell or use in your absence. The result of that thinking wants to sleep on my sofa untill "my brother sends me airfare home". etc.

Its easier to have a nice day when you grow a set than when you get pxxxy whipped. Have a nice day.

• Like 1

OMG please ignore my post, only god may help you! ^^

Just curios, how did she earned that much money in UK? What's her degree?

"You dont get extra respect for bieng what you may call generous or kind, you will get less respect for bieng stupid"

Well said and whole post!

Edited by GertrudeL

Why buy anything? Did you buy her (seriously)? If you have a proper and fair marriage then it should be equal. Don't fall for that sin sod crap, unless she's a teen virgin and unmarried. You could end up as another one of these expats who will be on this board in a few years, skint, homeless and asking about dodgy visas.

Put yer foot down man, sort her and her family out now. If that means she goes then you've found something out early.

I believe you Nangrong, are looking at the correct part of this situation. Wife wants him to buy xxxxxxx. First its dad then its mom. Next it will be my sister, brother, aunties buffalow. Nip this in the bud or you will be the laughing stock of nakon Nowhere. You dont get extra respect for bieng what you may call generous or kind, you will get less respect for bieng stupid. &ever more greedy friends & relatives will show up. If she doesn't qualify as a supermodel, Dentist, or world class athelite, she is asking too much already. you are bieng viewed as real easy money. You are damned if you do & damned if you don't. Better be stupid & keep your money than stupid without it. No matter how much you give it will never be enough if she is playing you . I need more your only giving me 100,000 a month a girl in the next village is getting 150,000. You don't love me. Exactly the same argument with exactly the same consequence at 5000 a month. WIFE. how much was the sin sod? Any discussion about this before the Wedding??? If shes gona walk out cause no pickup she'll be walking out at a higher price point in another week month or year anyway. Hospital bills a completely different affair. But go to the Hospital, check. Healthcare another matter. Look after her day by day expenses day by day. Dont pay anything into the future that you may not be a part of. Her Thai husband or boyfriend (if she has one, many do)) wants you milked and tossed, If she is genuine about sticking with you Look after her well today, Tommorow look after her well tommorow. As for buying anything she/he could sell or use in your absence. The result of that thinking wants to sleep on my sofa untill "my brother sends me airfare home". etc.

Its easier to have a nice day when you grow a set than when you get pxxxy whipped. Have a nice day.

He said the wife is wanting to use her money so your post makes no sense at all ?

Thanks to all the people who responded but never read my question properly and CharlieH for being a good moderator. For anyone who has first hand knowledge of the matter of car insurance in Thailand for a Thai national happy to read their feedback.

Regardless of the insurance issue, on a practical matter she is playing the Thai/Westerner card.

Recommend you deny the request as you are throughing money away. Offer to buy him a few bottles of Thai whiskey :)

NOTE - if you concede now you would be setting precedence for future type requests.