Koh Tao ban Full Moon parties

Lite Beer

The parties arnt the problem, its the murderers and scum that attend..... police these places with uniformed police properly would be a better solution, not leave it to the local mafia

If its a tourist location then there needs to be a visible police presence to protect tourists... duh

IMO banning is a Good move, run and attended by drug dealing drunken <deleted> thai and westerners must piss all the locals right off, short term it might hurt but in the long term ,,, good move, no doubt The parties are now a problem if there wasn't the parties there wouldn't be the problem or am i missing something ?

Yes you are missing the point That it is the locals who run these parties and they are worth big big money.So it will be back to normal in a few weeks.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to see police policing island resorts and beaches...what's with you people? When you want to relax and enjoy the natural and beach/restaurant/cafe environment, the last thing I'd want to see are uniforms mucking-about. In addition, do you want the Thai police, with the rep. they have around? Honestly, what's wrong with some of you expats? If you want a police state..go back to your country of origin, such as the U.K , U.S.A or Canada; any commonwealth locked-down cesspool example will do.

Another UK, USA, Canada and any Commonwealth basher/hater. Are you Communist by day Vampire by night?

He missed Australia out.

of course he must be a communist because he tells the truth :-D btw many people calling this countrys terrorist states without being communists. perhaps they see what you never could see hahahaha

Who on here feels more unsafe because of Kho Tao?

No not at all. As sad as this is, it is not indicative that Thai people hate foreigners, although judging from some comments by posters, they think they do.

Anywhere there is a risk, it could happen to anyone. Wrong place, wrong time.

Some of these places just attract low life's, so the risk then increases. I live on an island, and the village I am in, you could not wish for nicer local people.

• Like 2

Who on here feels more unsafe because of Kho Tao?

No not at all. As sad as this is, it is not indicative that Thai people hate foreigners, although judging from some comments by posters, they think they do.

Anywhere there is a risk, it could happen to anyone. Wrong place, wrong time.

Some of these places just attract low life's, so the risk then increases. I live on an island, and the village I am in, you could not wish for nicer local people.

Liked the post but feel "low lifes" is a shade harsh. Years ago I would be there. Two beers and bed now.

Yea Full moon parties really need to be banned, its on the tick list for guys and girls in their twenties and a bit more.

They come a long way just to get pissed and act idiots , its got out of had and the drugs don't help either, if a girl loses her friends ,even a guy and goes it alone in the early hours they are at serious risk.

I know that on KPN, taxis drivers get away with most things.

The so called mafia are used to the good life on that island, so maybe too much money involved to ban, lets wait and see, test case pending.

He wants to clean Thailand up , but lets mad drug frenzied parties continue a bit hypocritical i'd say.

Its a foregone conclusion that if he bans the one on Ko Tao, cause of the murders, even worse catches no one, but lets the one on Kpn continue, he will, for the first time, left himself open for ridicule.

Another horrific incident is bound to happen again, its only a matter of time, then what will he blurt out, no more bikini's please !

Isn't it the responsibility of the officials to lay down the law? It's not up to the farang... they will simply do whatever they can get away with. Thai people complain about the sex on the beach and the pi$$ing and $hitting in the sea... surely it is up to them to say, "hey you can't do that, it's illegal and you will be fined, and spend the night in jail." That's pretty well how it works at home, (it's called "policing" and "law enforcement".) This responsibility lies squarely with the Thais to clean it up... it would make a safer place and improve tourism ten-fold.

But that is not what the party goers want. Whole point of the event is that it is not policed. No one attending wants the police.

Complaining after the fact is a lack of personal responsibility.

Know some fun places arround the world, bit dodgy. No one should be murdered anywhere.

Put yourself in a questionable situation things may happen.

Sorry friend, I think you have it all wrong. These are kids with very undeveloped moral compasses. It's like the cliche something in a candy store... whatever it is... can't remember.

...and your moral compass was bang on North when you were 20 something? Sometimes you have to see examples of the bad so you can appreciate the good. Wrapping society in a nanny state isn't the solution.

I fully support ending these drunken drug-filled Full Moon parties.

I just wish they were not considering installing more beach lighting to do so.

Some people support Sharia law.... does that give them a right to tell everyone else what to do?

Used to live in a country with that law. Booze was 24/7.

them's the breaks eh?

I fully support ending these drunken drug-filled Full Moon parties.

I just wish they were not considering installing more beach lighting to do so.

Some people support Sharia law.... does that give them a right to tell everyone else what to do?
Used to live in a country with that law. Booze was 24/7.

them's the breaks eh?

It wasn't pretty at the weekend.

The parties arnt the problem, its the murderers and scum that attend..... police these places with uniformed police properly would be a better solution, not leave it to the local mafia

If its a tourist location then there needs to be a visible police presence to protect tourists... duh

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Put police to monitor ???? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Best joke since long !!

I thought they charged too much ?

And tourists not feel more comfortable with the bib there anyway

Something that need to change ,, the bib need big cleanup

They don't feel comfortable because they are taking illegal substances,so your comfortable with kids on yar baar and ekkies are you?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Put police to monitor ???? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Best joke since long !!

I thought they charged too much ?

And tourists not feel more comfortable with the bib there anyway

Something that need to change ,, the bib need big cleanup

They don't feel comfortable because they are taking illegal substances,so your comfortable with kids on yar baar and ekkies are you?

Would not go down the judgemental route. Personal responsibility should be a factor. Youth is considered bullet proof. Scared the life out of myself for a few things when young.

I know the Thai people for over 40 years! Yes I am old and think those parties should be banned on all the islands. Each party leaves young people dead! Illicit drugs are mostly the reason! I want Thailand to be a place where families want to come. Not hooligans and low life's doing drugs! What else can fix this?

• Like 1

I can see these islands sinking if the Thai authorities start banning everything no visitors which are far and few these days will leave the islands with only coconuts to harvest and at 10 Baht per coconut on the open market life will become very hard

You're joking, right?

The potential for these islands is massive. If they cleared the islands of drugged up idiots spending 500 Baht a day, these islands could become a diving paradise. Do you have any idea how much income that would generate?

I think most of the people here think these islands popped up for their personal use a few years ago. The locals survived a long time before the 3rd generation hippies arrived.

They were beautiful places and are generally spoiled by us (tourists).

There is good in what General Prayuth is doing. Slowly but surely cleaning up. The popping into 7 11 wearing pretty much nothing should be controlled as it is Thai culture to cover up, It was a nicer place when the visitors conformed with local culture, I for one welcome it been that way again.

I am not connecting the dress code to the viscous murders of these two young tourists and I feel they did no wrong they were simply enjoying a holiday and were brutally murdered by one or probably more disgusting excuses for human beings. I feel the police are highly aware there is a very good chance they are looking for a pack of young Thai men and the blame in no way is with the foreign visitors.

They should at least have their eyes wide open to all possibilities and thoroughly check all evidence. The way they dismissed it could be a Thai in the beginning probably gave the real murderer / murderer's the time they needed to create alibis and destroy evidence.

Get a move on and catch them contrary to what the police think catching the people that really did this crime and dealing with them by real law would help restore confidence whatever nationality they turn out to be.

Dress code,what dress code,they were naked,<deleted> on the beach.Surely some responsibility lies with the victims,if they were in a room,none of this would have happened.

I can see these islands sinking if the Thai authorities start banning everything no visitors which are far and few these days will leave the islands with only coconuts to harvest and at 10 Baht per coconut on the open market life will become very hard

You're joking, right?

The potential for these islands is massive. If they cleared the islands of drugged up idiots spending 500 Baht a day, these islands could become a diving paradise. Do you have any idea how much income that would generate?

I think most of the people here think these islands popped up for their personal use a few years ago. The locals survived a long time before the 3rd generation hippies arrived.

They were beautiful places and are generally spoiled by us (tourists).

There is good in what General Prayuth is doing. Slowly but surely cleaning up. The popping into 7 11 wearing pretty much nothing should be controlled as it is Thai culture to cover up, It was a nicer place when the visitors conformed with local culture, I for one welcome it been that way again.

I am not connecting the dress code to the viscous murders of these two young tourists and I feel they did no wrong they were simply enjoying a holiday and were brutally murdered by one or probably more disgusting excuses for human beings. I feel the police are highly aware there is a very good chance they are looking for a pack of young Thai men and the blame in no way is with the foreign visitors.

They should at least have their eyes wide open to all possibilities and thoroughly check all evidence. The way they dismissed it could be a Thai in the beginning probably gave the real murderer / murderer's the time they needed to create alibis and destroy evidence.

Get a move on and catch them contrary to what the police think catching the people that really did this crime and dealing with them by real law would help restore confidence whatever nationality they turn out to be.

Dress code,what dress code,they were naked,f...... on the beach.Surely some responsibility lies with the victims,if they were in a room,none of this would have happened.

Should not have happened in a perfect world. Dress code is contentious. Walking arround naked would be frowned upon in most countries. Why push the limits in the country you are visiting? Agree or disagree with local regs? Crime is awfull regardless of where it happens.

I'd like a safer Thailand. However, this will take many initiatives and over a period of time. Three murders in that area in two years is not safe - period. Neither is it particuarly safe in Phuket or Pattaya with crimes ranging from assaults/robbery to murder. There are bad elements on all sides of society and therein lies the problem - and the victims are quite often innocent people just on holiday. Banning parties is not the solution .. and that is from some-one who would never attend.

I was in Vang Vieng, Laos, quite a few years ago. What a wonderful place. Then the young backpacker crowd came to float the river and get super drunk/drugged up. Crime went up, tourist rip offs went up, accidents went up. Finally the government stepped in and stopped this silliness. It's now back to being a very nice place to visit.

Good to know,i can head back also.The wierdest think i saw was bikini clad farangs everywhere,hanging out everywhere coming up the hill.Sat down and had several beers and took it all in,every arvo.Locals didn't bat an eyelid.Don't get that in Issan.

I'd like a safer Thailand. However, this will take many initiatives and over a period of time. Three murders in that area in two years is not safe - period. Neither is it particuarly safe in Phuket or Pattaya with crimes ranging from assaults/robbery to murder. There are bad elements on all sides of society and therein lies the problem - and the victims are quite often innocent people just on holiday. Banning parties is not the solution .. and that is from some-one who would never attend.

I was in Vang Vieng, Laos, quite a few years ago. What a wonderful place. Then the young backpacker crowd came to float the river and get super drunk/drugged up. Crime went up, tourist rip offs went up, accidents went up. Finally the government stepped in and stopped this silliness. It's now back to being a very nice place to visit.

Good to know,i can head back also.The wierdest think i saw was bikini clad farangs everywhere,hanging out everywhere coming up the hill.Sat down and had several beers and took it all in,every arvo.Locals didn't bat an eyelid.Don't get that in Issan.

Go to Chaweng in Samui. Locals there do not bat an eyelid to topless girls either.

Yea Full moon parties really need to be banned, its on the tick list for guys and girls in their twenties and a bit more.

They come a long way just to get pissed and act idiots , its got out of had and the drugs don't help either, if a girl loses her friends ,even a guy and goes it alone in the early hours they are at serious risk.

The so called mafia are used to the good life on that island, so maybe too much money involved to ban, lets wait and see, test case pending.

He wants to clean Thailand up , but lets mad drug frenzied parties continue a bit hypocritical i'd say.

Its a foregone conclusion that if he bans the one on Ko Tao, cause of the murders, even worse catches no one, but lets the one on Kpn continue, he will, for the first time, left himself open for ridicule.

Another horrific incident is bound to happen again, its only a matter of time, then what will he blurt out, no more bikini's please !

Isn't it the responsibility of the officials to lay down the law? It's not up to the farang... they will simply do whatever they can get away with. Thai people complain about the sex on the beach and the pi$$ing and $hitting in the sea... surely it is up to them to say, "hey you can't do that, it's illegal and you will be fined, and spend the night in jail." That's pretty well how it works at home, (it's called "policing" and "law enforcement".) This responsibility lies squarely with the Thais to clean it up... it would make a safer place and improve tourism ten-fold.

So you want the nanny state,where is common sense and control of ones own self here,or do we all just revert to animals until somebody tells us to stop.We were born with a brain,pity so few use it.

I like this idea a lot.

Let Koh Phangan be the ''Party Island'' and let's return Koh Tao to how it was a few years ago. Most of the locals there would prefer it for sure, both Thai and expat.

The island has always made enough money from the diving industry to keep everyone happy.

Koh Tao was always my favourite place in Thailand to chill out for a week but in recent years it has changed (not for the better).

Piss-heads and puff-heads can do what they do best on Koh Phangan.

Get rid of the backpacking scum who come to Thailand without a pot to piss in. Always looking for trouble and hand-outs. Makes me ashamed to be a Westerner and see this kind of scum walking around. Do the same as when Thailand immigration was able to just say no to the low life, dirty, scumbags looking for a free ride!!!!! No money, go back to your home country!!!! Hit the road jack!!!! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I like this idea a lot.

Let Koh Phangan be the ''Party Island'' and let's return Koh Tao to how it was a few years ago. Most of the locals there would prefer it for sure, both Thai and expat.

The island has always made enough money from the diving industry to keep everyone happy.

Koh Tao was always my favourite place in Thailand to chill out for a week but in recent years it has changed (not for the better).

Piss-heads and puff-heads can do what they do best on Koh Phangan.

Get rid of the backpacking scum who come to Thailand without a pot to piss in. Always looking for trouble and hand-outs. Makes me ashamed to be a Westerner and see this kind of scum walking around. Do the same as when Thailand immigration was able to just say no to the low life, dirty, scumbags looking for a free ride!!!!! No money, go back to your home country!!!! Hit the road jack!!!! thumbsup.gif

Possibly sarcastic? Heart felt?

No full moon parties? Load gun, point at foot, pull trigger. When did TAT get the message to do away with all farang tourists that were not rich and respectable. (oh, nevermind) Goodbye Thailand, hello Cancun. I wonder when they will start enforcing full-piece bathing suits for all women.

Edited by connda

But that is not what the party goers want. Whole point of the event is that it is not policed. No one attending wants the police.

Complaining after the fact is a lack of personal responsibility.

Know some fun places arround the world, bit dodgy. No one should be murdered anywhere.

Put yourself in a questionable situation things may happen.

Sorry friend, I think you have it all wrong. These are kids with very undeveloped moral compasses. It's like the cliche something in a candy store... whatever it is... can't remember.

They are not kids,but young adults that manage to fly half way around the world ok,then leave their brains on the ferry.Drugs and alcohol are a bad mix and will always lead to trouble in a crowd,epecially with a lot of young macho males around.

• Like 1

That is my point. They come here as 18 year olds, and see people doing the stupidest, rudest, most disrespectful things in the world, and because no one ever gets picked up on these indiscretions, they think its OK... so they do the same things. They don't even think about it... it becomes the norm. If there were signs about public nudity, if there were a few places that set a dress code in their pubs and clubs etc.. they might start to understand. If there were a few officials or citizens groups to gently tap them on the shoulder when they are overstepping, then they would have a greater understanding of what is expected. But no. The scammers and the plod only make money out of grief and despair. They get to drug and root all the white woman they can and bottle and glass all the lippy boys they want. These two places in particular are in a state of anarchy, and have been since 2000. They are also dangerous places at times, and every once in a while they are very dangerous... and that is when people die. I don't know what the rest of the country is about, but the islands I know well. You can still have a great vibe even with a bit of law and order, and that is where they need to get to.

• Like 2

I think banning full moon parties on Koh Tao is a good thing in order to restore the natural order, make it more laid back again and let the party animals have their blow out on KPN where they're used it. As I said before at least it coralls them all into one place for a few days. The bottom line is though, wherever these gap-year hoardes go paradise is well and truly lost, Van Vieng being another good example. But lets face it, 18-30 year olds away from home, cheap alcohol, drugs, predatory locals, it's a recipe for disaster whichever way you look at it. I'm surprised that there aren't more incidents truth be told.

No full moon parties? Load gun, point at foot, pull trigger. When did TAT get the message to do away with all farang tourists that were not rich and respectable. (oh, nevermind) Goodbye Thailand, hello Cancun. I wonder when they will start enforcing full-piece bathing suit for all women.

FMP offers zero benefit to any semi-respectable well run business. FMP is a thorn in the side of good establishments all over Koh Phangan. Business and good development would flourish without the party. Party culture = no culture.

But most here were happy to get away from their nanny state, me included.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Thailand is pretty Nanny itself

No full moon parties? Load gun, point at foot, pull trigger. When did TAT get the message to do away with all farang tourists that were not rich and respectable. (oh, nevermind) Goodbye Thailand, hello Cancun. I wonder when they will start enforcing full-piece bathing suits for all women.

Which flight are you on?

It is really disgusting that because of a violent murder we are discussing the behavior of young drunk tourists who attend parties organized and condoned by Thais.

Victim Blaming.

That so many ignorant farang are joining in is despicable.

Agreed. Consider the known fact that so many young people are graduating college, university, trade schools and not finding work. So they travel now, Iive in cheap dumps and enjoy life before they find a job. We did the opposite and don't you sometimes wish you had your young and youthful energy again?

This is a fair point

"Consider the known fact that so many young people are graduating college, university, trade schools and not finding work. So they travel now"

It also suggests that many may not be mature enough to travel 1000s of miles away from home as they just turn everywhere into an extended students union p*ss-up. Thailand's culture being so tolerant, able to extract maximum Baht from all situations, sanook loving, lawless.... (take your pick) it is essentially a match made in heaven.