Koh Tao ban Full Moon parties

Lite Beer

Koh Tao ban Full Moon parties
AFP

1411039187_1-org.jpg

Full moon parties on Koh Tao will be banned. Photo Eric Molina.

SURAT THANI: The governor of Surat Thani province -- which includes Koh Tao -- said today (September 18) that the island would no longer host spin-off parties of the 'full moon' beach raves which draw backpacking hordes to neighbouring Koh Phangan.

Following the recent murders of two British holidaymakers on Koh Tao early Monday morning (September 15) major concerns on tourists’ safety have been raised.

The murders are the first in the area involving foreiners since December 31, 2012, when British tourist Stephen Ashton, 22, was shot dead at a New Year's Eve party on Koh Phangan after getting caught in the crossfire of a gun fight between two local gangs.

"We don't want any more crimes," Governor Chatpong Chatraphuti said, adding that hotels and resorts would have to install new security cameras and lighting.

The military government vowed to restore Thailand's reputation as the "Land of Smiles", embarking on a clean-up of resorts after a series of complaints about scams, assaults and even police extortion, particularly in Phuket.

The battered bodies of David Miller, 24 and Hannah Witheridge, 23, were found on the southern resort island of Koh Tao early Monday morning.

Distraught relatives of Ms Witheridge broke down in tears and hugged each other ahead of a police briefing in Bangkok today (September 18) as the investigation continued to draw a blank.

Meanwhile, Thailand's military ruler Prayuth Chan-Ocha yesterday (September 17) drew criticism after questioning the safety of female tourists wearing provocative clothing in the kingdom.

"They think our country is beautiful and is safe so they can do whatever they want. They can wear bikinis and walk everywhere," Gen Prayuth told government officials.

But, he asked, "Can they be safe in bikinis … unless they are not beautiful?"

The British embassy in Bangkok said it had contacted the Thai Foreign Ministry raising its "concerns" over his remarks and asking "for clarification", according to an embassy statement.

Police today continued to hunt for clues on Koh Tao as post-mortem examinations of the victims' bodies in Bangkok found no DNA links to 12 people police have questioned so far.

Those include two of Miller's British friends who were asked to stay in Bangkok pending the forensic results -- and several Burmese migrant workers.

The British men were now "free to return home," regional police commander Lt Gen Panya Maman said.

Experts tested traces of semen and a hair found at the crime scene but could not find a match.

With no arrests and an apparent lack of new leads, it is unclear where the police investigation can turn after nearly four days scouring sparsely populated Koh Tao.

Thailand's key high season for tourists is just two months away and the kingdom is desperate to reassure visitors after a year which saw takings slump because of political turmoil, followed by the coup.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/koh-tao-ban-full-moon-parties-48789.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-09-18

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The parties arnt the problem, its the murderers and scum that attend..... police these places with uniformed police properly would be a better solution, not leave it to the local mafia

If its a tourist location then there needs to be a visible police presence to protect tourists... duh

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Put police to monitor ???? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Best joke since long !!

I thought they charged too much ?

And tourists not feel more comfortable with the bib there anyway

Something that need to change ,, the bib need big cleanup

Does anyone in their right mind actually think this article is serious? Ban the full moon parties hehee what a joke. Thailand anf kho tao and kho pangyang are the hottest ticket for tourist travelling only because the full moon parties. To think they would lose even 1 night of tourist dollars being spent is a joke.

Policing will not protect anyone. Jeez! My friend was raped by 2 police in chumphon because was drunk and trusted them to drive her home.

I can't wait to tomorrow to call my friend who is there to see if this is serious

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by thesetat2013
  • Like 2

yes, the reduction in drug and booze sales would sure hurt the local economy.

Does anyone in their right mind actually think this article is serious? Ban the full moon parties hehee what a joke. Thailand anf kho tao and kho pangyang are the hottest ticket for tourist travelling only because the full moon parties. To think they would lose even 1 night of tourist dollars being spent is a joke.
Policing will not protect anyone. Jeez! My friend was raped by 2 police in chumphon because was drunk and trusted them to drive her home.
I can't wait to tomorrow to call my friend who is there to see if this is serious

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I guess Khun Prayuth will need some time to adapt to his new position, to learn to speak as a PM should, I just hope it was a just an accidental 'burp' of macho sexist 'greasy' talk common to soldiers in general, and not some calculated expression of narrow-minded Buddhist neo-'integrism' à la Myanmar...

As for 'modesty', why not create a rule (and enforce it...) restricting the use of bikinis, ...speedos, aso, to the beaches and a stroke of 50m. along these, at daytime, like in my European country of origin? I'd go for it, as, even for Farangs, it is often schocking to see brainless (trash?) tourists move around half-naked on the roads, in urban centers, shopping malls, etc., at day and night, making me ashame, and understand why it's so hard for the 'small' Thais to respect us...

Must admit though out of all the places ive travelled to in thailand, Koh Tao and Koh Phangan take the pick as being the most violence i have witnessed. one tourist beaten up by a bunch of thai guys on a beach ( tourist smacked a thai guy siting on a chair first) and another incident in a 7 eleven, two tourists fighting and crashing though shelves. lots of blood on the ground after that one.

heck I was only there for 3 nights! Didnt think much of returning. I prefer peace and quiet.

I don't believe you. I believe the police.

"One senior officer told the BBC he did not believe a Thai person could have committed such a crime."

• Like 1

Banning full moon party because someone got raped and killed on a beach at night is like the SRT banning Trains because someone got raped and killed on a train. Or banning Rubber tapping because someone was shot dead in a rubber plantation.

Stupid officials like to look like they are doing something. When all this country needs is uniform rule of law. Punishments that fight the crime. Unfortunately murder of unimportant people is often punished less severely than other crimes like Article 112 Lese Majeste.

Yes. It would be a hell of a lot more constructive to say, we are going to start rounding up all the illegal labour, close down all the unlicensed bars and hotels, clamp down in dodgy taxis and TUK TUK and have guaranteed 24 hour a day walking beach patrols from the police.

There is only one full moon party and we know where that is.

You're right... Goa, India.

Yeah and its run by and attended by W aN ker s and the local resident's hate them.

And that is different than the one in Thailand how?

Is the Thai Full Moon Party where all the cool, hip people go, and the locals adore them all?

Guess I missed the memo.

• Like 2