Koh Tao ban Full Moon parties

Lite Beer

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"They think our country is beautiful and is safe so they can do whatever they want

traduction:

thailand is not safe , not so beautifull and you are not free to do what you want..now moon party banned too, and u better dont wear a tiny bikini on the beach....better wear a long trouser and tshirt like locals do....ok !

and to whom it may concern like tour operator anf futur farang guests:

the hotelroom prices with those new prejudice will remain the same

looks like military holiday time is comming.....for sure visitors are going to increase with that dont do this , dont do that ..politic....perhaps it will work for the thais but with foreigners...i dont know.

a murder case made by some animals have nothing to do with moon partys....i think thailand is making so much money with tourism that they could perfectly put some patrol agent around tourist places and beaches to make it safe, without banning anything...!

coffee1.gif

Edited by VINCENT2012
  • Like 1

I can see these islands sinking if the Thai authorities start banning everything no visitors which are far and few these days will leave the islands with only coconuts to harvest and at 10 Baht per coconut on the open market life will become very hard

You're joking, right?

The potential for these islands is massive. If they cleared the islands of drugged up idiots spending 500 Baht a day, these islands could become a diving paradise. Do you have any idea how much income that would generate?

Lots , maybe but how many deaths by diving companies only using Thai workers who will have no qualifications and cannot think outside of the box or even communicate with their charges ?

A small island could surely raise accommodation costs to price out these 500 Baht a day tourists, of course they may have to spend to provide acceptable accommodation for these high end tourists....

I didn't hear any complaints by the islanders pre these murders and if they were unhappy they could have changed things. Seems to me the complainers are a few foreigners on TV assuming they know what the locals want ?

My dear Govenor, I hate to inform you, that the horse has bolted already!!

Koh Phangan is also under his jurisdiction, but here it appearently okay to continue the parties??whistling.gif

To much money at stake to expect more than a kneejerk reaction from Thai officials.

The FMP brings very little to the majority of the island. It serves a select few...ie the gangs that run it and sell all "the gear" hookers, drugs, and the general "dark side" elements. In general the FMP has retarded the development and progress on Phangan in an extreme fashion, (since about 2000 anyway). You only have to look at Hadrin to realise this. It is dead for 25 days a month...high AND low season, and only fires up for about 4 or 5 days at party time. The place is disgusting, and because they have designed their business around that market, that's how it will stay. Hadrin is the brunt of many jokes on Koh Phangan... outside of Hadrin we do a decent business all year round... and very little of it is attributed to the FMP... in fact quite the contrary. The Thais are funny though, because they will see 10-15000 people come in for 4 days to Hadrin they think its amazing... they are not very good at looking outside they box, and asking the simple question."what would business be like WITHOUT the party?" and the answer here IMHO, is a resounding "millions of times better".

But as I said before, the young farang only behave in a way that the Thais allow them to. The things they do here, would get you locked up for the night anywhere else on earth... but the Thais not only accept it, they encourage it... then they have the narrow-mindedness to judge the farang on their behaviour... rather than enforcing the laws and making sure they don't misbehave in the first place... like is done pretty well everywhere else.... on earth.

good post, but in defence of the thais taking westerners money , u can see why,there is v little or no empathy or support regarding poverty by thai people or society. europeans /westerners often moan bout the nanny state, but!! Edited by rijit

Maybe off the subject but I'm pretty sure DNA testing can tell the race and gender. Why not start there? It will make things a bit easier to find the perp and stop blaming tourist.

nah far from off the point thats a great point, surprised no ones come out with that b4 anyone firm that one up ?

I'd like a safer Thailand. However, this will take many initiatives and over a period of time. Three murders in that area in two years is not safe - period. Neither is it particuarly safe in Phuket or Pattaya with crimes ranging from assaults/robbery to murder. There are bad elements on all sides of society and therein lies the problem - and the victims are quite often innocent people just on holiday. Banning parties is not the solution ….. and that is from some-one who would never attend.

I was in Vang Vieng, Laos, quite a few years ago. What a wonderful place. Then the young backpacker crowd came to float the river and get super drunk/drugged up. Crime went up, tourist rip offs went up, accidents went up. Finally the government stepped in and stopped this silliness. It's now back to being a very nice place to visit.

• Like 2

Knee jerk, as usual.

Agree it is a bit knee jerk. However anywhere in the world where there is a simmilar event will eventually have the same outcome. Drink, drugs, sex? Carry on but a person should be aware of what could happen. Town I used to live in in UK had a couple of families that had a feud. The lads did not go out for a few drinks they went out for a fight. The "are you looking at me?" syndrome was alive and well there.

• Like 1

Personally I am to old to go to a full moon /half moon/ new moon party (55yrs old) but I do understant it is almost a right of passage for

youth when traveling to Thailand. The baning on these parties is an overreaction in my oppinion. Find and prosecute

the killers. Clean up corruption in the police force and the safety of the tourists will be greatly enhanced.

• Like 1

Yea, sure they will. And Pattaya and Phuket are going to get the jet ski scams under control. Oh, and the police are going to really crack down on traffic offenders.

Look around you.

Positive changes have been occurring daily for about 8-9 months.

I see that: no freedom of speech, attitude adjustement sessions, human right abuse and just some few show off "crackdown" days to fool the feeble minds.

Typical.

Yea Full moon parties really need to be banned, its on the tick list for guys and girls in their twenties and a bit more.

They come a long way just to get pissed and act idiots , its got out of had and the drugs don't help either, if a girl loses her friends ,even a guy and goes it alone in the early hours they are at serious risk.

I know that on KPN, taxis drivers get away with most things.

The so called mafia are used to the good life on that island, so maybe too much money involved to ban, lets wait and see, test case pending.

He wants to clean Thailand up , but lets mad drug frenzied parties continue a bit hypocritical i'd say.

Its a foregone conclusion that if he bans the one on Ko Tao, cause of the murders, even worse catches no one, but lets the one on Kpn continue, he will, for the first time, left himself open for ridicule.

Another horrific incident is bound to happen again, its only a matter of time, then what will he blurt out, no more bikini's please !

Edited by phanangpete
  • Like 1

Knee jerk, as usual.

Agree it is a bit knee jerk. However anywhere in the world where there is a simmilar event will eventually have the same outcome. Drink, drugs, sex? Carry on but a person should be aware of what could happen. Town I used to live in in UK had a couple of families that had a feud. The lads did not go out for a few drinks they went out for a fight. The "are you looking at me?" syndrome was alive and well there.

That's the UK for you, I don't miss that Syndrome for,sure.

Yea Full moon parties really need to be banned, its on the tick list for guys and girls in their twenties and a bit more.

They come a long way just to get pissed and act idiots , its got out of had and the drugs don't help either, if a girl loses her friends ,even a guy and goes it alone in the early hours they are at serious risk.

The so called mafia are used to the good life on that island, so maybe too much money involved to ban, lets wait and see, test case pending.

He whats to clean Thailand up , but lets mad drug frenzied parties continue a bit hypocritical i'd say.

Yes. Have no problem if the party atmosphere is what they want. Sure most have been in similar situations in their lives, also sure most have witnessed awful things happen. Not Thailand problem. The party goers want it as it is, good for them, sure it is fun. Unfortunately certain combinations lead to people loosing all reason. Responsibility of the individual, blaming lack of policing is an excuse for their own actions.

The parties arnt the problem, its the murderers and scum that attend..... police these places with uniformed police properly would be a better solution, not leave it to the local mafia

If its a tourist location then there needs to be a visible police presence to protect tourists... duh

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Put police to monitor ???? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Best joke since long !!

Friday December 14th, 2012 the car Alliance (Ford and Mazda) in Sri Ratcha, organized an annual party for 4.000 employees. Somewhere in the mass a small quarrel aroused of which afterwards nobody could tell what it was about. What started with a fist fight, developed to an annual meeting of professional forces for oral surgery without anesthesia, with gun shots and flying bottles. 30 persons, including 10 women, became seriously injured on their panic run to the exits. One suffered from stomach injuries caused by a homemade grenade.

Ten policemen in charge to provide security at this event waited merely at the exits outside the hall to help some lucky guests who managed to escape from the chaos.

He wants to clean Thailand up , but lets mad drug frenzied parties continue a bit hypocritical i'd say.

Its a foregone conclusion that if he bans the one on Ko Tao, cause of the murders, even worse catches no one, but lets the one on Kpn continue, he will, for the first time, left himself open for ridicule.

Another horrific incident is bound to happen again, its only a matter of time, then what will he blurt out, no more bikini's please !

Isn't it the responsibility of the officials to lay down the law? It's not up to the farang... they will simply do whatever they can get away with. Thai people complain about the sex on the beach and the pi$$ing and $hitting in the sea... surely it is up to them to say, "hey you can't do that, it's illegal and you will be fined, and spend the night in jail." That's pretty well how it works at home, (it's called "policing" and "law enforcement".) This responsibility lies squarely with the Thais to clean it up... it would make a safer place and improve tourism ten-fold.

• Like 1

There is only one full moon party and we know where that is.

You're right... Goa, India.

The one on Koh Phangan is a spin off of the original.

Why any drug-fueled party is condoned is a mystery. Please 'goa' to India if you want to get stoned out of your mind. I've enjoyed the island of Koh Tao several times and the laid back atmosphere is nice, much more so than drunken, puking people having a "good" time. Just my opinion.

This is coming from a 26 year old who back in his homeland went to raves legal and and illegal from age 16-20 nearly every other week. Similar music but not quite, used to get home at 7am most Saturdays and loved that kind of scene. I was even a small time DJ.

Now only 6 years later I would never dream of going to a full moon party, why? Well firstly it is a hot spot for crime and that goes without a doubt. Secondly I would be too tempted to get involved with things that could potentially land me in jail. Also, my mindset has changed over time and I really prefer the quiet life, wining and dining, seeing the real Thailand, speaking with locals in their language and not hanging around some fabricated version of what Thailand is.

I think that banning the raves totally is a bit OTT, however like most people or Thai authorities they tend to jump to extremes, why do people not see a middle way? The Buddha taught something that was at the very core of the dharma and that was the middle way, you can find it in almost every aspect of life. Instead of right out banning them, why not control them and regulate them more so than they already are? More decent officers on the ground, not corrupt ones, that will scare away a lot of scammers, muggers and rapists for a start. Each full moon party there are casualties and that is due to intoxication mainly from alcohol and that stupid fire rope jump thing.

The full moon party, from what I have heard, was very different 10-15 years ago, but it has become somewhat of a danger zone, and even for a young gun like myself I would never go there at present. I know too much about Thailand and how the system works, it would be a stupid decision.

Edited by monk213
  • Like 2

Isn't it the responsibility of the officials to lay down the law? It's not up to the farang... they will simply do whatever they can get away with. Thai people complain about the sex on the beach and the pi$$ing and $hitting in the sea... surely it is up to them to say, "hey you can't do that, it's illegal and you will be fined, and spend the night in jail." That's pretty well how it works at home, (it's called "policing" and "law enforcement".) This responsibility lies squarely with the Thais to clean it up... it would make a safer place and improve tourism ten-fold.

But that is not what the party goers want. Whole point of the event is that it is not policed. No one attending wants the police.

Complaining after the fact is a lack of personal responsibility.

Know some fun places arround the world, bit dodgy. No one should be murdered anywhere.

Put yourself in a questionable situation things may happen.

The parties arnt the problem, its the murderers and scum that attend..... police these places with uniformed police properly would be a better solution, not leave it to the local mafia

If its a tourist location then there needs to be a visible police presence to protect tourists... duh

Without the party , you wouldn't attract murderers and scum !

These parties appeal because of the drink , drugs and risks of danger , skinny dipping and sex on the beach .

It is totally wrong that tourist should come to Thailand and break all the Thai rules/laws .

Thailand is not Las Palmas Majorca , where you can drink all night and anything goes .

Most Thai women don't wear bikinis , wear long black Lycra shorts and vest top to match .

Police at a Full Moon Party would kill it completely , nobody would come .

Hotels and resorts need to make guests understand the rules of good behaviour in Thailand .

Thailand is NOT an international playground where anything goes , you have to respect the customs of the country .

Toscano, yours is the dumbest or most naive comment on this topic. Even if there were no parties, murders and rapes would still - from time to time - occur. Do you remember the news about the (thai) schoolgirl killed on the train recently?

Murderers and rapists exist. They are mostly opportunists, who find their victims whenever, whereever.

I remember news stories long ago of tourists in thailand being robbed, killed, raped, long before any of the island full moon parties ever began. My point is you need to be vigilant because crimes could happen anywhere, not just nearby a party/pub

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1