How to transfer plates to another province

Tham1

Hi, I am moving from Chiang Mai where my truck is registered and insured to Pattaya and have no idea how the process works for getting new plates for Pattaya - has anyone done this recently?

Do I need to do anything in CM before I leave or can I do it all in Pattaya?

thanks

The only time you would need to change plates is if you sold the car and the new owner did not want your Chiang Mai plates. You can insure your vehicle in Pattaya with your current plates. My car had Pattaya plates when I moved to Korat and I never changed them in the 7 years I had the car in Korat.

The only time you would need to change plates is if you sold the car and the new owner did not want your Chiang Mai plates. You can insure your vehicle in Pattaya with your current plates. My car had Pattaya plates when I moved to Korat and I never changed them in the 7 years I had the car in Korat.

thanks for the information - I thought it would be more complex than that as we are in Thailand !

Ive only done it once. Took Car and all the paperwork to new province head office. So Easy. They destroyed the ones i had from new, and in 30Mins pressed out new ones.Cost not worth a mention. They got a bit pissed off with a guy who had super-glued his plates on. Drove to some garage where they fitted new frames, job done ,easy.

• 1 year later...

As for motorbike you can not sale it with other province plates even if new owner is agree. They will need you to change greenbook and plates to trade it.