Scotland votes no to independence

webfact

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a bunch of wussies. Irish people must be smiling!

Of course unlike Scotland and Wales, they,the Irish that is, and the rest of Europe ,had a decent stretch of water between them.Imagine Europe if La Manche had not existed in modern times!

So Antigua, Myanmar and Lesotho have independence, but not Scotland

And those three places have improved since their independence???

• Like 1

Now we need Australia to have a referendum and cut the cord from mother England.

Off topic. Don't forget we tried that in 1999 with a big difference! Unlike the Scots with a simple yes or no selection (very sensible) ours was an undemocratic referendum, very biased and confusing alternatives thanks to that monarchist Little Johnny Rotton.

Interesting that the NO vote ratio then was about the same as the Scots 55% to 45%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_republic_referendum,_1999

• Like 1

Bugger; I was hoping for a "Yes" vote so that I could watch Scotland crash and burn.

Oh, well, maybe next time.

I don't think there will be a next time!

This was a once and for all vote.

SNP was allowed to choose wording, demographics, and timing unchallenged, which gave them a tremendous advantage, and still voted to remain in the UK.

One feature that developed was the frustration of rUK for not having a vote too.

With greater and greater autonomy there will be no need for any talk of independence anyway.

aye you're right - no-one in Westminster will make the same mistake twice of a free and fair vote. But done freely and fairly and democratically and without violence or military intervention. Thailand take note.

Sensible result in the end.

Salmonds aim was to be the "Founding Father of Scotland" by any means. Look at the destruction he has left behind.

he was right about one thing....Scotland does get to keep the pound

Destruction?

I was up all night working on proposals and had BBC and Sky streaming it all live in the background.

I didn't see any reports of anything being destroyed.

It's great that such a large % of the electorate took part. The Nationalist thought this would help them, they din't realise that so many people would vote on known facts rather than a policy of no answers.

One interesting point, if you look at the BBC map of Scotland, it's nearly all coloured for the "NO" side, surprisingly or is it, the only areas to vote "YES" where the Weston lowlands, (Glasgow, west Dumbartonshire,north Lanarkshire) and Dundee. Area wise very little, and areas that I would have thought were Labour country. What do you think?

• Like 1

Sensible result in the end.

Salmonds aim was to be the "Founding Father of Scotland" by any means. Look at the destruction he has left behind.

he was right about one thing....Scotland does get to keep the pound

Destruction?

I was up all night working on proposals and had BBC and Sky streaming it all live in the background.

I didn't see any reports of anything being destroyed.

Families, friendships.....

• Like 1

Watching William Haigh, and I think the Barnet Formula could be a problem unless some concrete agreements are made. Labour had a lot to lose in the referendum, and no way will they be pleased about an English Parliament. I don't trust them.

The only assertive thing that Haigh spouted off about was their perpetual petty gripe about Scottish MP's being able to vote on English business.

Think about it; it (still) is the UNITED KINGDOM so Scottish MP's have every right to have a say in what may well affect their bit of the UK's economy. Now, if they gave Scotland devo max, or the Scots win a successive referendum or they declare UDI, then you can keep your English legislature.

Scottish parliamentarians in Holyrood legislate for Scotland and Scotland only so why would the English want a finger in that pie?

Watching William Haigh, and I think the Barnet Formula could be a problem unless some concrete agreements are made. Labour had a lot to lose in the referendum, and no way will they be pleased about an English Parliament. I don't trust them.

The only assertive thing that Haigh spouted off about was their perpetual petty gripe about Scottish MP's being able to vote on English business.

Think about it; it (still) is the UNITED KINGDOM so Scottish MP's have every right to have a say in what may well affect their bit of the UK's economy. Now, if they gave Scotland devo max, or the Scots win a successive referendum or they declare UDI, then you can keep your English legislature.

Scottish parliamentarians in Holyrood legislate for Scotland and Scotland only so why would the English want a finger in that pie?

Because they may be abusing the funds allocated by the rest of the UK. It works both ways. No?

• Like 2

@Nanlaew. Really? how illinformed you are. devolved powers in scotland are not voted on by the UK Parliament.,(with more to come) So issues such as Health and Education,which dont affect Scotland should continue to have Scottish members making decisions on? you are out of touch with peoples views south of the border.

Edited by kingalfred
  • Like 1

As a matter of principle SNP MPs do not vote on Non Scottish business. Only Scottish Labour MPs do that. Labour of any of the Unionist parties had most to lose in seats at Westminster. if it had been a Yes vote

Scotland votes 'No' by 55.3 per cent: final result

EDINBURGH (AFP) - Scotland rejected independence from the United Kingdom by 55.3 per cent to 44.7 per cent, on a record 84.6 per cent turnout, final results showed Friday.

Official figures show 2,001,926 people voted to stay in the union and 1,617,989 voted to leave, with turnout beating the previous record for a UK vote of 84 per cent, set in the 1950 British general election.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Scotland-votes-No-by-55-3-per-cent-final-result-30243659.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-19

• Like 1

More devolution for Scotland...

How about the same for Wales, Northern Ireland & England

Exactly.......I only hope that this will mean more powers/say for us(Welsh). You are right though, these talks always seem to be about the Celtic countries - England is never mentioned. Sounds Like John Redwood is on to that..

• Like 1

Now we need Australia to have a referendum and cut the cord from mother England.

You already did and lost. And what difference would it make? You are a self governing country, the only thing this does is give you more freedom to travel within the commonwealth and more consular assistance in places Australia has no representation. Something for nothing and you still complain

Not to mention the military backing !

• Like 2