Purchasing a car in Thailand

jiffers

I live near Pattaya and am thinking of purchasing maybe a Honda City. I have mainly had manual cars in the past but automatic cars seem to have become much more efficient nowadays and don't cost much more. As I am getting on in years, I was planning to let my girl friend learn to drive also.

My question is, which would be best, automatic or manual? I saw a previous post which recommended for a similar situation a straight shift (is this automatic?)

I would be grateful for any advice.

Automatic is much easier to drive for any new driver.

Additionally its much easier to drive in heavier traffic.

IMO: These days manual shift is for driving enthusiasts in sportier cars.... If all you are doing is going from A to B then the additional effort of changing gear yourself is really unnecessary.

Automatic in a track day car = Silly... Manual in a City Car = Silly...

In the traffic jam in BKK an automatic is really better......

• Like 1

IMO: These days manual shift is for driving enthusiasts in sportier cars.... If all you are doing is going from A to B then the additional effort of changing gear yourself is really unnecessary.

That´s definately the case. When you live in a place where you get stuck in a traffic jam very often or when there is a lot of traffic, then an auto gear box will take away lots of stress while you´re driving. It´s just a lot more convenient. I really hate automatic cars, driving a stick shifter is so much more fun. But for Thailand it´s a wise choice to go auto.

-Almost every car in Thailand does have an auto gearbox as standard equipment, only the base models are available as a manual. Most cars even are not available as a manual at all. Most cars and pickups will give you the auto gearbox already when you upgrade just one trim level. They are alomost forcing you to buy an auto or you are stuck with the most basic models. There are exceptions like the Toyota GT 86, but I wonder how many will opt. for the manual (which is so much better)

-It will be more easy to resell, more people are interested in an auto gearbox. As a wild guess I´d say 75% of the driver´s or more wouldn´t like or get along with a stick anyway.

-Fuel efficency, you still may lose a little power and a few km of range, but that is nothing compared to the huge increase in comfort. The overall economy won´t sufffer in any noticeable way.

-Why go against the market and the local preferences? smile.png

I prefer manual shifts, especially with a smaller motor(1.5ltr), as the autos can chop and change far too much. Just about every auto I have been in that is driven by a thai is buggered because they dont know what they are doing. At least with a manual you have control over which gear you want to use instead of them just jumping up and down everytime you accelerate or brake. Over all it can be a personal preference as well, I simply dont like autos but once I am over the hill and have bad knees etc I might change, only time will tell.

Edited by seajae
  • Like 2

Especially if you're "getting along in years" I'd recommend an automatic.

If you ever have any difficulty with your left foot as I once did when I broke it, you'll be glad for choosing the auto.

Good luck

Im 39 and automatic is the way tk go imo.

Can't go too far wrong with a Honda or a little Toyota. Not sure about the price diff in Thailand but a little Hyundai is a cheap reliable runabout.

Also remember here small Manual cars are normally the cheapest and very base models......... so you have to do without Airbags, ABS etc. basic stereo, wind up windows, no central locking..

But not sure on the all new Honda City as believe they do have Airbags, ABS

Edited by ignis

Never drove an automatic until I got to Thailand..and now I would never drive a manual again. So much easier especially in traffic.

Same Same.

Always thought a manual gave the driver control but now I have used automatics in Thailand would never consider a manual now. Also Automatics pretty sophisticated nowadays and many give you paddle shifts as well especially if you are buying a higher spec car

Also remember here small Manual cars are normally the cheapest and very base models......... so you have to do without Airbags, ABS etc. basic stereo, wind up windows, no central locking..

Not true with the Mitsubishi Mirage. Apart from the items you mention the mirrors also fold when you lock the car with the remote.

Edited by Anon999

Not true with the Mitsubishi Mirage. Apart from the items you mention the mirrors also fold when you lock the car with the remote.

That is because you have a top model manual the GLX, still only 1x Airbag... on there website the GLX is 46,000 baht more than the base GL

many makes there is only 1x manual version and the base model.

The in-family young man who now drives my AUTOMATIC Toyota truck, has a hard time keeping his hand off the shift lever.

I have seen basic farm and truck driver types, driving my truck sometimes actually shift the automatic lever, thankfully not into "park" while moving. Also, they insist on activating the parking brake along with "park" on the shift lever when stopped.

I enjoy watching taxi drivers activate the parking brake while stopped at a red light.

Otherwise AUTOMATIC is the only way to go. wai.gif

That´s definately the case. When you live in a place where you get stuck in a traffic jam very often or when there is a lot of traffic, then an auto gear box will take away lots of stress while you´re driving. It´s just a lot more convenient. I really hate automatic cars, driving a stick shifter is so much more fun. But for Thailand it´s a wise choice to go auto.

-Almost every car in Thailand does have an auto gearbox as standard equipment, only the base models are available as a manual. Most cars even are not available as a manual at all. Most cars and pickups will give you the auto gearbox already when you upgrade just one trim level. They are alomost forcing you to buy an auto or you are stuck with the most basic models. There are exceptions like the Toyota GT 86, but I wonder how many will opt. for the manual (which is so much better)

-It will be more easy to resell, more people are interested in an auto gearbox. As a wild guess I´d say 75% of the driver´s or more wouldn´t like or get along with a stick anyway.

-Fuel efficency, you still may lose a little power and a few km of range, but that is nothing compared to the huge increase in comfort. The overall economy won´t sufffer in any noticeable way.

Not sure your post even borders on accuracy, have shopped for many cars and trucks all offer manual or automatic, automatic usually costs between 50000 and 75000 more than a manual and worth every baht.

l owned a diesel automatic Passat in the UK, great car. They have an push button hand brake with a feature for crawling in traffic, all you do is brake to a stop and it automatically applies the handbrake, then when you set off press the accelerator as normal and it comes off. When l worked in London it was a god- send. Many cars have this now; and l would choose an automatic over any manual unless as pointed out by others, it was a sports car. l don't think economy comes into it as the price of petrol is so cheap compared to Europe, so the trade off for an automatic is well worth it. Good luck with your purchase.

• Like 1

I drive a manual gearbox. My wife learned to drive an automatic before I met her but had no driving licence. I made her do her test. She did it in an automatic and got her licence which allows her to drive both automatic and manual in Thailand (unlike other countries where it would only allow you do drive an automatic). I tried to teach her to drive my manual (I was a driving instructor in my previous life)....she never got the hang of it but it's a 3 ltr. pick up. She did manage with a small manual Nisan NV. I would suggest an automatic as a starter if she has no experience....good luck and safe driving to you both.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The in-family young man who now drives my AUTOMATIC Toyota truck, has a hard time keeping his hand off the shift lever.

I have seen basic farm and truck driver types, driving my truck sometimes actually shift the automatic lever, thankfully not into "park" while moving. Also, they insist on activating the parking brake along with "park" on the shift lever when stopped.

I enjoy watching taxi drivers activate the parking brake while stopped at a red light.

Otherwise AUTOMATIC is the only way to go. wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif width=20 alt=wai.gif>

I had the same problem when I bought my first car here last year. It was also the first time I had ever driven an automatic. As others have said in heavy, slow moving traffic the automatic gear box makes life so much easier.

Alan

• Like 1

Many thanks to all of you who replied to my question. Automatic seems to be the prefered option of most of you so I will probably go for that.

Another point here when it is is time to sell is an Automatic will sell quicker and for more money than a manual in most cases..

The Honda City manual cost 559,000 new, the 'S' model Automatic cost 599,000 new

notice in car tents a 4 year old manual v the 'S' model Automatic is 50 - 60,000 baht more.

Depends on where you drive and what you want.....

Here my pickup is manual, now on the 3rd, my car's have been automatic here........ since 1966 guess I have had as many automatics as manuals and have owned a lot of different makes and models

• Like 1

Not sure your post even borders on accuracy, have shopped for many cars and trucks all offer manual or automatic, automatic usually costs between 50000 and 75000 more than a manual and worth every baht.

Yes, you are right. My fault! Seems like I have missed the tenor of this thread. It seems like all others were saying: Automatic? Nope, manual ist he way to go in LOS. Thais love it and the car makers have adjusted their program accordingly offering most cars and top models as a stick shift facepalm.gif

The OP wants a City: There is an S manual and an S AT, the rest (V, V+, SV, SV+) are all automatic! And this is the case with almost every car on sale here! The Yaris isn´t even available as a manual and the Jazz again only in the S trim. Some exceptions exist, I agree, but if you really like to buy a manual car your options are quite limited in this car market.