Police seek help from FBI on DNA

Lite Beer

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody noticed my post so I repost it:

My wife this morning told me that in the Thai news yesterday they said that the dna test conducted by the fbi revealed that the perpetrators are Asians, mongolic race to be more precise. Did anyone hear this last night... I cannot find any confirm in English news...

Considering the nationality of the deceased it is rather a wonder as to the passivity of the Brit Embassy.

Rather than the FBI being called in why not Scotland Yard? Who have a track record assisting police forces who are under resourced, overwhelmed or, just plain out-of-their-depth.

This murder has been extremely poorly handled by all those concerned.

Perhaps you missed this:

"Thai Police, who held a reconstruction on Thursday, said they were liaising with British police, although this has not been confirmed by UK authorities"

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29277280

Edited by lovelaos

Saw this coming a mile away But to answer a question takes several days to run tests on DNA. They can tell race by test And also is person has other things too such as VD.But depends on how well sample taken is. They should have Requested from the get go instead waiting so long not losing face it is about learning from others on how to best go about it. Most Thai's can't Spell DNA much less run a test on it.

• Like 1

I thought they had locked the island down, no people out or in. That would have been the first thing that a qualified police force would do. Well that's it now, they will not get them now. I did a posting couple days ago to get the Thai police to contact the UK police to do the DNA so they could tell if it was Asian or European.

you did? thats probably why theyre doin it!!

• Like 1

I am telling you what I think is going to happen: Thai police will deliver to the FBI DNA swapped from some of the foreigner suspects (probably the Britons) and hide the real killer's one, letting the FBI do the dirty work of identifying a foreigner as the perpretator, so Thais can pat themselves on the shoulder ans say "see... a Thai couldn't have done this", plus they'll save the gang leader they have been trying to hide so badly. Corruption, xenophobia and racism for the win!

Haven't all the previous suspects been cleared as there was no DNA match.

Also wouldn't a suspect's DNA need to match that of the seamen DNA?

My wife this morning told me that in the Thai news yesterday they said that the dna test conducted by the fbi revealed that the perpetrators are Asians, mongolic race to be more precise. Did anyone hear this last night... I cannot find any confirm in English news...

Here's the report in Thai: http://www.mcot.net/site/content?id=541c375dbe047031fd8b4594#.VBzoVU1xnIU

Not by the FBI--they hadn't (haven't?) actually been called in yet. It says that DNA found in the vagina and anus belonged to two Asians. So they are going check all the Asians on the Island--"Especially the Burmese workers".

Given that this is from Thai forensics, that according to another article posted here can't do more than distinguish male from female (but that's probably a bad translation), I wouldn't put too much money on this report.

--S

• Like 1

Here's the report in Thai: http://www.mcot.net/site/content?id=541c375dbe047031fd8b4594#.VBzoVU1xnIU

Not by the FBI--they hadn't (haven't?) actually been called in yet. It says that DNA found in the vagina and anus belonged to two Asians. So they are going check all the Asians on the Island--"Especially the Burmese workers".

Given that this is from Thai forensics, that according to another article posted here can't do more than distinguish male from female (but that's probably a bad translation), I wouldn't put too much money on this report.

--S

Thanks [emoji106]

The victims were not American, the crimes were not committed in America, and no suspects as of yet are American, so why should the US get involved?

The Thais recently told the US to mind its own business (human trafficking watch list issue). Now they come begging for help.

Maybe the US should just mind its own business in this case.

Edited by mesquite

The victims were not American, the crimes were not committed in America, and no suspects as of yet are American, so why should the US get involved?

The Thais recently told the US to mind its own business (human trafficking watch list issue). Now they come begging for help.

they are simply performing tests using expertise they have and an ally asked them to use.

Saw this coming a mile away But to answer a question takes several days to run tests on DNA. They can tell race by test And also is person has other things too such as VD.But depends on how well sample taken is. They should have Requested from the get go instead waiting so long not losing face it is about learning from others on how to best go about it. Most Thai's can't Spell DNA much less run a test on it.

You say "most Thai's can't Spell DNA". And you can't punctuate properly. Thais when writing about more than one (plural) does not have an apostrophe. Also Spell does not have a capital S.

....then by the same rule/token, shouldn't shanahan , a name, start with a capital ' S "

ka -toot

• Like 1

Extensive databases. Not just from the US.

To get these guys, the more help from experienced police, the better.

the top post didnt claim they were asking for investigative help, merely DNA testing

• Like 1

You say "most Thai's can't Spell DNA". And you can't punctuate properly. Thais when writing about more than one (plural) does not have an apostrophe. Also Spell does not have a capital S.

Lot's more than punctuation wrong with this! I certaintly don't expect everyone here to use good (or even comprehensible) English, but I think we've got a bit of a glass house, pot & kettle situation going on here!

• Like 1

In 2006 some backpacker was murdered as well, within 2 days they confirmed that the killer was asian based on the DNA

Thailand has been going backwards,

Yes - but this is Thailand, and today's admission that the Thai police are unable to use DNA testing to do other than determine whether the donor was male or female proves that the investigation above was based on lies. The police now have revealed that they can't tell the ethnicity by using DNA.

The first time I saw a crime scene in Thailand was on 3rd road Pattaya a few years back. It was a shooting that took place less than an hour prior to my passing. People were walking anywhere, scooters were darting in and out, no barrier tape and the police where just standing around twiddling their thumbs. WHAT!

I had the sad misfortune several years ago to be close to hand when a friend was attacked by a burglar he disturbed in his house. The burglar panicked, pulled a knife and slashed my friend, before jumping back out of the window. The police turned up excited and happy, smoking as they blundered all about contaminating the crime scene, picking up and examining ornaments and chatting cheerfully to each other, laughing and joking. One even sat down and turned on the TV.

My friend died on his way to hospital.

The house was then simply left there, open and unsealed, until a team from Bangkok arrived two days later to take fingerprints.

And now today it seems that the advanced forensic science deployed in Thailand - that amazing DNA stuff that we all worship - has advanced to the stage where the Thai investigators can use it to determine whether the donor was a male or a female. That's it. Full stop.

This county is all about appearances. The Thai administration has worked for generations at creating a public facade that's based on what they see on American TV. But when it actually comes down to it , it's all like a Hollywood film set with nothing behind the fake fronts, as this tragic event and the very public investigation is now revealing.

blazing_saddles.jpg

They could do that quite easily without adversely affecting the investigation, which of course they wouldn't want to do. The Thais could ask the UK instead due to the connection and if any help was needed, perhaps to confirm the findings then the UK could liaise with the US authorities.

Somyot, who will become police chief next month, said he would travel to Koh Tao today to inspect the crime scene and follow up on the latest developments of the investigation.

What crime scene? It was never contained and thousands of people have trampled all over it taking selfies and just rubber necking. The so called crime scene was totally destroyed long ago. It should have been totally sealed off from the start and guarded preventing any un authorised people from even coming close.

I think it's just a bad translation. The phrase 'inspect the crime scene' should read 'for photo op'.

• Like 1

DNA testing technology in Thailand could only identify whether human secretions came from a male or female, said deputy police chief General Somyot Pumpunmuang.

must be the basic cheap model from ebay. and someone needs to tell him women dont secrete semen.

​Plus if thats the case and all the DNA test they can do how can they rule anyone out by DNA if it can just tell male or female ? what were the 12 suspects DNA taken aliens ?

Or dosnt anyone in Thailand know how to marker DNA ? which i can quite easily believe

As far as I can find in the Thai language press, he said no such thing. He said, rather that Thai forensics could determine ethnicity, but that the FBI could get more detailed results.

This is evidently a bad translation. (and if you knew how Thai news articles are "translated" into English, you'd have even less faith in them than in the RTP!)

Ohhh my... They have managed to do it again. Yet another murder case goes unsolved.

But what to expect, when you provide stupid, racist, corrupt and careless people with uniforms and call them police/investigators.

This case is already over and nobody will be prosecuted, unless they manage to beat a confession out of an illegal immigrant or frame some farang for this, by swapping some DNA samples. Just fantastic to see this again and again.