Tesco service gone downhill

Keesters

welcome to thailand .......

This is terrible news !!! someone needs to contact the police so the OP can sit down to eat his ice cream.

coffee1.gif

I think it's TV that has gone downhill ....

Go ahead if you so wish. I would not be so stupid as to even suggest it.

Perhaps posts like yours are the very reason you see TV as going downhill.

When you've been minding 2 very energetic kids who are bored of the arcade, who would be bored shopping with their parents, they need to be given a time out, seated quietly and maybe ice cream, just so I can take a breather.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP , I thought you might find this article interesting from today's Independent newspaper

Tesco shares dive after executives are suspended in profit guidance investigation

Tesco suffered fresh humiliation today after a shock admission that it overstated its profits guidance by £250 million. Shares in Britain's biggest grocery chain dived to their lowest level in 11 years as the revelation caused its third profits warning in as many months. Tesco also revealed four executives have been suspended while the investigation is carried out.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/tesco-shares-dive-after-executives-are-suspended-in-profit-guidance-investigation-9747605.html

Edited by Asiantravel

OP , I thought you might find this article interesting from today's Independent newspaper

Tesco shares dive after executives are suspended in profit guidance investigation

Tesco suffered fresh humiliation today after a shock admission that it overstated its profits guidance by £250 million. Shares in Britain's biggest grocery chain dived to their lowest level in 11 years as the revelation caused its third profits warning in as many months. Tesco also revealed four executives have been suspended while the investigation is carried out.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/tesco-shares-dive-after-executives-are-suspended-in-profit-guidance-investigation-9747605.html

Thank you for letting me know. Interesting. I wonder how much that has to do with Thailand though. And is the gradual lack of maintenance, reduction in customer services here part of it.

I do however get the feeling that the manager of Threpasit 1 branch is on a profit making spree at the cost of proper escalator maintenance, advertised wi-fi services, reduced customer areas, increased sales areas etc.

Good post, Keesters. I wouldn't be altogether surprised if Tesco employees in the UK didn't pick up on your thread. Multinationals routinely monitor social media to guage what customers are thinking about them. It's a burgeoning form of market research. Tesco at this time can ill afford to upset it's customers and see it plastered all over the internet.

That's a good part of the reason I've done it. Local Tesco couldn't give a fig. Even told them I'd contact UK. Made no difference. Not sure however how much influence Tesco UK have though except it is their brand name.

I once contacted coca-cola USA regarding coca-cola Thailand and they replied they had nothing to do with it as it was a completely independent company who were licensed to use the brand.

Did have success with Philips, Panasonic, Electrolux and Pfizer home country head offices who all made their Thailand offices stop ignoring me when I phoned or emailed them about their products. Most times it resulted in additional sales to the Thai company.

Generally I'd say customer service/support is very poor in Thailand. Tiger motorcycles refuse to tell me where my nearest branch is so I can go buy a new one to replace the one I have that is now 10 years old but still going strong. It was only 8 years old when I first started asking. 555

As for Tesco/Lotus, I have a Brit friend here that is a shareholder in Tesco. He wrote a letter to the home office in London Identifying himself as a shareholder and demanding to know why the operation here in Thailand was being run into the ground. He got a letter back that said that the Thai operation was a mess because Thai law required Tesco to turn over management to Thais within five years after commencing business in Thailand. The letter went on to say that "Thais are all a bunch of cretins." I couldn't believe they actually put that into writing in a letter sent to Thailand, but there it is, the official explanation of why Lotus (and most other businesses) in Thailand sucks.

One thing about Lotus, competition sure has an effect on them. Here in Phitsanulok, there is not only Lotus, but a Big C, Central World and Makro (with an upscale Tops inside). Big C recently did a fancy remodel. The old Lotus has been kept fairly upscale (for Thailand). Three or four years ago Tesco built a small full service Lotus in another part of town to try to capture business there. The facility is small, but very upscale. Then Central World came. About a year ago Tesco just built a fancy new Lotus supercenter and mall in another part of town. The product line and ability to be consistent and not run out of stock, sucks of course, as it does with all Thai run businesses, but the facilities are top notch. Unfortunately the huge new supercenter just has more of the same stuff sold at the smaller stores. Sadly, they did not take the opportunity to expand their product line. All three Lotus stores feature super clean restrooms with hand soap and fine facilities. They keep spending money on them, seemingly out of fear of the competition.

The reason I think that's the reason is that if you go south to the next province, Phitchit, they have only one Lotus and it is the only act in town. There is nothing else except street markets. The store is very old and run down. It is way too small, always has its narrow isles and few checkout stands packed to the gills with customers; you can hardly move. But here's the real clincher. Their only restroom is outside and around to the back. It is always filthy and stinks to high heavens of nasty stale urine. I can hardly stand to go in for the stink and find myself holding my breath. There are only a couple of filthy sinks with low water flow and no soap at all. This strikes me as complete and utter disrespect for the customer. They feel that they have a trapped customer base (60 kilometers to Phitsanulok) so do absolutely nothing for them but suck out their money. If a Big C were to open in Phichit Town, it would all change immediately. The folks down there should boycott for change, but they won't. It's a totally disgusting operation and brings home the value of competition.

If only one of the grocery operations in Phitsanulok had a western manager, it would absolutely trample all the competition. That's exactly why management is required by law to go to Thais. If there were no such law, Thais would seldom be in management. And THAT'S the problem with Lotus in Thailand, as told by Tesco management in London, and London seems to be powerless to do anything about it.

I prefer to shop in Makro, but it has gone downhill and the prices substantially up since its takeover by the CP giant. I also buy a lot of Makita tools. Makita Thailand is nothing but aggravation. They carry a lousy selection from the Makita catalogue and don't stock most of the accessories for the tools they sell. I recently bought a "wet/dry vacuum" (VC2510L, 18,190 baht). It needs an optional filter for the "wet" function to work. When I discovered this, I went back to my dealer to order one and learned that Makita Thailand doesn't stock them and it's a special order (import) that takes two months! So I guess my wet/dry vac is only a dry vac. Seems deceptive. I ordered a 12" dual sliding compound miter saw (LS1216L DXT, 28,890 baht). It comes with the 12" blade as standard equipment in every country in the world -- except Thailand. When it arrived, my dealer (very good) apologized profusely that the Thai importer doesn't include the blade (another 3,000 baht for a cheap one). She offered me the option of refusing it. I had to order accessories for the saw from the US. I have purchased sanders from the UK (had them shipped) that I can't get here. I have purchased a bunch of the LXT line of battery operated tools (not sold here) for import from the US. It is just typical of Thai "management." Well, I see I've gotten myself all worked up and off on a tangent. Happy shopping!

• Like 2

Good post, Keesters. I wouldn't be altogether surprised if Tesco employees in the UK didn't pick up on your thread. Multinationals routinely monitor social media to guage what customers are thinking about them. It's a burgeoning form of market research. Tesco at this time can ill afford to upset it's customers and see it plastered all over the internet.

That's a good part of the reason I've done it. Local Tesco couldn't give a fig. Even told them I'd contact UK. Made no difference. Not sure however how much influence Tesco UK have though except it is their brand name.

I once contacted coca-cola USA regarding coca-cola Thailand and they replied they had nothing to do with it as it was a completely independent company who were licensed to use the brand.

Did have success with Philips, Panasonic, Electrolux and Pfizer home country head offices who all made their Thailand offices stop ignoring me when I phoned or emailed them about their products. Most times it resulted in additional sales to the Thai company.

Generally I'd say customer service/support is very poor in Thailand. Tiger motorcycles refuse to tell me where my nearest branch is so I can go buy a new one to replace the one I have that is now 10 years old but still going strong. It was only 8 years old when I first started asking. 555

As for Tesco/Lotus, I have a Brit friend here that is a shareholder in Tesco. He wrote a letter to the home office in London Identifying himself as a shareholder and demanding to know why the operation here in Thailand was being run into the ground. He got a letter back that said that the Thai operation was a mess because Thai law required Tesco to turn over management to Thais within five years after commencing business in Thailand. The letter went on to say that "Thais are all a bunch of cretins." I couldn't believe they actually put that into writing in a letter sent to Thailand, but there it is, the official explanation of why Lotus (and most other businesses) in Thailand sucks.

One thing about Lotus, competition sure has an effect on them. Here in Phitsanulok, there is not only Lotus, but a Big C, Central World and Makro (with an upscale Tops inside). Big C recently did a fancy remodel. The old Lotus has been kept fairly upscale (for Thailand). Three or four years ago Tesco built a small full service Lotus in another part of town to try to capture business there. The facility is small, but very upscale. Then Central World came. About a year ago Tesco just built a fancy new Lotus supercenter and mall in another part of town. The product line and ability to be consistent and not run out of stock, sucks of course, as it does with all Thai run businesses, but the facilities are top notch. Unfortunately the huge new supercenter just has more of the same stuff sold at the smaller stores. Sadly, they did not take the opportunity to expand their product line. All three Lotus stores feature super clean restrooms with hand soap and fine facilities. They keep spending money on them, seemingly out of fear of the competition.

The reason I think that's the reason is that if you go south to the next province, Phitchit, they have only one Lotus and it is the only act in town. There is nothing else except street markets. The store is very old and run down. It is way too small, always has its narrow isles and few checkout stands packed to the gills with customers; you can hardly move. But here's the real clincher. Their only restroom is outside and around to the back. It is always filthy and stinks to high heavens of nasty stale urine. I can hardly stand to go in for the stink and find myself holding my breath. There are only a couple of filthy sinks with low water flow and no soap at all. This strikes me as complete and utter disrespect for the customer. They feel that they have a trapped customer base (60 kilometers to Phitsanulok) so do absolutely nothing for them but suck out their money. If a Big C were to open in Phichit Town, it would all change immediately. The folks down there should boycott for change, but they won't. It's a totally disgusting operation and brings home the value of competition.

If only one of the grocery operations in Phitsanulok had a western manager, it would absolutely trample all the competition. That's exactly why management is required by law to go to Thais. If there were no such law, Thais would seldom be in management. And THAT'S the problem with Lotus in Thailand, as told by Tesco management in London, and London seems to be powerless to do anything about it.

I prefer to shop in Makro, but it has gone downhill and the prices substantially up since its takeover by the CP giant. I also buy a lot of Makita tools. Makita Thailand is nothing but aggravation. They carry a lousy selection from the Makita catalogue and don't stock most of the accessories for the tools they sell. I recently bought a "wet/dry vacuum" (VC2510L, 18,190 baht). It needs an optional filter for the "wet" function to work. When I discovered this, I went back to my dealer to order one and learned that Makita Thailand doesn't stock them and it's a special order (import) that takes two months! So I guess my wet/dry vac is only a dry vac. Seems deceptive. I ordered a 12" dual sliding compound miter saw (LS1216L DXT, 28,890 baht). It comes with the 12" blade as standard equipment in every country in the world -- except Thailand. When it arrived, my dealer (very good) apologized profusely that the Thai importer doesn't include the blade (another 3,000 baht for a cheap one). She offered me the option of refusing it. I had to order accessories for the saw from the US. I have purchased sanders from the UK (had them shipped) that I can't get here. I have purchased a bunch of the LXT line of battery operated tools (not sold here) for import from the US. It is just typical of Thai "management." Well, I see I've gotten myself all worked up and off on a tangent. Happy shopping!

Again another very informative and well thought out post. Cretins! Wow. Even my local Express branches, there's two on my Soi, neither very old, are starting to become places I no longer want to visit. Over the past few days when I've popped in for some supplies they have both been full of boxes stacked high. To walk around you have to step over half emptied boxes as somebody slowly, ever so slowly, with a mobile to their ear fills a shelf. I understand they have a space problem but shouldn't they have been built with a small stockroom and couldn't shelf filling be done in off peak hours rather than when the place is full of school kids who couldn't squeeze into 7/11 next door.

When you eventually get to what it is you want to buy it is wrongly price labeled. Check the bar code on the packet, check the bar code on the shelf, they hardly ever match. You've no idea what you're going to pay till checkout. Last visit I wanted 5kg of rice. All such a muddle I gave up. 1 minute back towards home was a lady selling rice from big sacks. I have to admit to being a little wary of those kind of places as I've experienced inaccurate scales at some of them. Got what I wanted all wrapped up nice for me to carry at a reasonable price sold with a smile. Got back home, checked the weight, 5kg exactly. She'll get my business in the future.

Edited by Keesters

Update 12:00 hours today.

1) Entranceway from motorcycle park still narrow.

2) Dog missing then so was stall owner.

3) Up escalator Threpasit end still broken.

4) Tesco Wi-Fi still not working. Using True.

5) Bench seat next lift, next popcorn, near Swenson, bakery end still there. Could not find anymore. Does that make it one lift? Not sure, not interested. Would like somewhere to sit a while just as the 3 young Thai guys currently occupying the seat do.

Not a lot of improvement.

Going Downhill ? must be subterrainean by now.

No Ice bags, vying with Big C for least possible number of open checkouts, For many customers from Europe and USA and Russia etc, generally of larger proportions, few XXL no XXXL Same with sneaker sizes..

No ankle socks which do not cut of circulation, but nowhere in Thailand have I ever found any.

While they have a way to suggest/complain, like most places here, is is just for show, useless.

But Hey I came here when there were only mom and pop shops, one had to enquire/Inquire the price of each individual item, e.g. a dusty dented can of tuna etc. So perhaps we can live with Lotus.

For me without a doubt the proliferation of minimarts is the best thing since sliced bread.

Edited by DisparateDan

Tesco shares dive after executives are suspended in profit guidance inves

Thank you for letting me know. Interesting. I wonder how much that has to do with Thailand though. And is the gradual lack of maintenance, reduction in customer services here part of it.

I do however get the feeling that the manager of Threpasit 1 branch is on a profit making spree at the cost of proper escalator maintenance, advertised wi-fi services, reduced customer areas, increased sales areas etc.

" I wonder how much that has to do with Thailand though "

I can only imagine if one of the parties in this joint venture in Thailand is experiencing difficulties it wouldn't be surprising if it affected morale from the bottom to the top in affiliated organisations.

Here's another article in today's Independent, which makes things sound even more diresad.png

The £250m profit hit to Tesco from its accounting scandal could just be the first of many for the stricken supermarket, analysts feared last night.

And

Speculation in the City meanwhile began to veer towards the once unthinkable: that Tesco, having lost another £2bn in value yesterday, is now valued at an increasingly affordable £16bn, and could fall prey to an outright takeover.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/tesco-in-crisis-city-fears-250m-profit-debacle-could-be-just-the-start-9749824.html

Tesco is good for some things but not all. That's why you shop around. Personally I pefer Big C since it seems slightly more Western-friendly than Tesco.

I hardly ever go there, but I was there last night. What things is it good for, as I must have missed them?

is complaining a hobby for you?

Come on, don't give complainers a hard time. We need them - how else will anything improve?... and I think most would agree Tesco could use a lot of it (improvement).

• Like 1

Thepprasit Tesco has a lift? Since when?

Since when was there a Tesco on Threpasit?

@Keesters said Escalator, not Elevator.

Since they made an entrance from Factory Outlet.biggrin.png I always go in that way.

Edited by tropo

"Comments anyone......."

Items 1,2,3 and 5 have nothing to do with Tesco as they do not own and run the whole shopping centre.

Rather than complaining to Tesco (and getting zero result) you would better off approaching the centre management, most likely still getting a zero result.

I think you'll find they do. There website has an enquires section about 'leasing space in Tesco Lotus'. If you're so sure there is a centre management how about some links to justify it.

A quick look around google suggest Ek-Chai Distribution System Co., Ltd (who owns Tesco Lotus) will own the building.

And Ek-Chai Distribution System Co., Ltd is owned by Tesco PLC, who are in deep s__t after over estimating profits by £250 Million ($400 million USD/13 Billion THB).

Tesco suspends four executives over £250m accounting scandal Tesco discovers £250m black hole in accounts and suspends four executives - including UK boss Chris Bush - over "serious issue"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/epic/tsco/11113243/Tesco-suspends-four-executives-over-250m-accounting-scandal.html

Chris Bush previously ran the Tesco's operations in Thailand.

Edited by Basil B

The last sentence above is written by @sometime not @keesters. @sometime got his/her quoting wrong.

Now to the reply

And I have continually stated that it has a lift. My directions have been 'near Swenson at the bakery end'. People are more likely to know that than 'popcorn booth' which may easily move. So the point of your post is? And you're sorry for what?

Could it be that it is because I also situate the lift near the popcorn booth, which isn't at the swennsens/bakery location, so there is a possibility that there are 2 lifts.

Maybe. I don't know where the popcorn booth is located. What I do know is that from the bench seat next to the g.f. door of the lift I know I could clearly see both Swenson's and the bakery either of which would have taken not more than a few steps to reach. The 'bakery end' being distinct from the 'stationary and toys end' would give a good indication as to which part of the building I'm referring to and a guide as to where Swenson's is. Popcorn booth could be anywhere, where would one start looking? I didn't notice any popcorn but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. The kids I was with yesterday kept asking for ice cream pointing at Swenson's but we ended up buying at DQ with which they were equally happy. They never asked for popcorn.

Please note that I said NEAR not AT.

I tried Swenson's once with my daughter. Took them 45 minutes to bring out a banana split. I've never been back.

Tried to buy a coffee maker at a Tesco in Pathum Thani once. Never mind that they have an aisle 50 yards long devoted to coffee products. The Yo-Yo's in the appliance department said "No hab".

This sort of thing is endemic to Thailand, in general. No this is not news to resident expats, but it's gotten tiresome for me. My GF has asked things, at my prodding sometimes, and gotten the same response. Then I go and find it. Or some staffer goes off to look for something and never returns. The only time a query of a staffer works is at Foodland.

Tesco chief Laurie McIlwee handed £1m payoff just a week before THE FISCAL scandal BROKE

Tesco's Finance Chief quit the supermarket giant with a £1 Million pay off a week before the accounting scandal came to light.

McIlweeis one of a number of senior executives facing serious questions about what they knew of how the ...£250m accounting "loss situation"and is expected to respond in the good old fashion manner......I Know nothing.....anyway shares dropping ...maybe time to buy...look out Lotus...every little bit and all that.....

Anybody good with a Calculator....40 Bt from Kilo 15 Talad..

Edited by Rinrada

Visited Tesco again today:

1) The entrance way from the motorcycle parking is even smaller now with a new 90 degree counter where customers stand in the walkway blocking it.

2) The dog has gone as the stall has changed ownership / products.

3) The escalator still broken. At least people are getting some exercise climbing up.

4) The Tesco wi-fi service still broken.

5) Public seating now at one 3 seat bench near lift. Full when I passed it and full again an hour later. Plenty of people standing around waiting ...for a seat maybe.

6) New Item. One of two water fountains out of order.

Improvement or worse. +1 -1 same same.

But the girl at a <10 items checkout was nice, great smile and thank you when I gave exact change.

• 2 weeks later...

Tesco chief Laurie McIlwee handed £1m payoff just a week before THE FISCAL scandal BROKE

Tesco's Finance Chief quit the supermarket giant with a £1 Million pay off a week before the accounting scandal came to light.

McIlweeis one of a number of senior executives facing serious questions about what they knew of how the ...£250m accounting "loss situation"and is expected to respond in the good old fashion manner......I Know nothing.....anyway shares dropping ...maybe time to buy...look out Lotus...every little bit and all that.....

Anybody good with a Calculator....40 Bt from Kilo 15 Talad..

Another 3 Tesco executives suspended today in the UK. When a butterfly flaps it's wings ... blah, blah, blah, etc, etc. Tesco Lotus not too high on anyone's list of priorities at Tesco Towers (if there is actually anyone of any import left in the building).