How to get Birth Certificate for wife

Jip99

I think you need a lawyer because she probably doesn't have an ID card either so she is not a legal citizen of Thailand. She could end up in jail if this is the case.

No. She has ID and she has a passport - both can be obtained without a birth certificate.

I think you need a lawyer because she probably doesn't have an ID card either so she is not a legal citizen of Thailand. She could end up in jail if this is the case.

No. She has ID and she has a passport - both can be obtained without a birth certificate.

I'm surprised that they can be obtained without a birth cert. because how can her DOB be legally proven? Not reporting a birth is a criminal offence. Hasn't she got any family who could help? As HooHaa said if not she needs to go to the Ampur. Otherwise PM Ubonjoe in the visa forum he should know.

• Like 1

why dont you have her go to the amphur to enquire?

is she helpless?

Certainly not - don't make fatuous comments. She is certainly capable of picking up the phone to ask if Amorn Bangkok stocks laser lighting systems and smoke machines - whereas you felt the need to to ask the question on this form. Who is helpless ?

I am certain that a visit to the anphur is the answer.

What I was looking for was confirmation from any Thai Visa member who had experience of such matters. That is what a community forum is about.

Edited by Jip99
  • Like 2

I'm surprised that they can be obtained without a birth cert. because how can her DOB be legally proven? Not reporting a birth is a criminal offence.

I know a few older women who don't have a birth certificate. 50 years ago the births were just included on the barn card. That was enough for them to be issued a Thai ID card and passport. My ex was in this situation and it was enough for my embassy to process and approve an immigration visa for her.

I'm surprised that they can be obtained without a birth cert. because how can her DOB be legally proven? Not reporting a birth is a criminal offence.

I know a few older women who don't have a birth certificate. 50 years ago the births were just included on the barn card. That was enough for them to be issued a Thai ID card and passport. My ex was in this situation and it was enough for my embassy to process and approve an immigration visa for her.

Thanks - I agree and with a tabien ban, ID card and passport these things are sufficient for all practical purposes in Thailand and a birth certificate would not be needed.

In my case a pension provider is insisting on a birth certificate. I may eventually be able to persuade them to accept alternatives but for now they want to see a birth certificate.

A very helpful PM received which confirms that a visit to the amphur with the poo yai baan, and perhaps a couple of 'elders', is the way to go.

Perhaps I need to set aside 500/1,000 Baht and a couple of bottles of Hong Thong for 'expenses' smile.png

Do not believe you will obtain a birth certificate - that is only issued at birth and only one time from my understanding - at this point nearest relatives with information on birth would be required to obtain documentation I believe and might be easier with legal consul. Do not believe any official is going to issue for bribes - they will lose there position as it would be found out - this is a very serious issue. But alternative paperwork is available that should be enough to meet your requirements - perhaps with verification by your Embassy. Most Thai were born at home but birth certificates were issued when reported - but only one copy given to parents so easily lost and central storage was often in local schools so official records can also be lost.

Do not believe you will obtain a birth certificate - that is only issued at birth and only one time from my understanding - at this point nearest relatives with information on birth would be required to obtain documentation I believe and might be easier with legal consul. Do not believe any official is going to issue for bribes - they will lose there position as it would be found out - this is a very serious issue. But alternative paperwork is available that should be enough to meet your requirements - perhaps with verification by your Embassy. Most Thai were born at home but birth certificates were issued when reported - but only one copy given to parents so easily lost and central storage was often in local schools so official records can also be lost.

Not so.

I have subsequently discovered that a friend's sister in law obtained one when it was insisted upon for a visa application.

Not the same amphur as my missus so I accept that anything could happen.

A replacement birth certificate was obtained? Are you sure it was not something else? They can not even correct a birth certificate if they write the wrong name on it here - only issue extra paperwork.

I am sorry but you are wrong on both counts. Also it was not a replacement as one had never been issued in the first place.

My friend said it took quite a while to get the birth certificate issued.

Ironically, the same friend confirms that he did get his son's birth certificate amended because the surname had been spelled incorrectly at the time of issue.

Edited by Jip99

In that case a replacement was not issued. As for correcting mistake it is amended in separate paperwork I believe (ours was). It is not a new birth certificate issue (and can cause issues on airline flights if not presented with the original birth certificate). This is a very sensitive issue and not something that is taken lightly. I would be looking for alternative rather than take a chance with any

set aside 500/1,000 Baht and a couple of bottles of Hong Thong for 'expenses'

In that case a replacement was not issued. As for correcting mistake it is amended in separate paperwork I believe (ours was). It is not a new birth certificate issue (and can cause issues on airline flights if not presented with the original birth certificate). This is a very sensitive issue and not something that is taken lightly. I would be looking for alternative rather than take a chance with any

set aside 500/1,000 Baht and a couple of bottles of Hong Thong for 'expenses'

One letter was wrong with my friend's son's birth certificate. They duly amended it.

You misunderstand about the 500/1,000 Baht and Hong Thong biggrin.png - this is not a BRIBE to the amphur, it is what the poo yai baan will expect to compensate him for his time!

Glad to see it was misunderstanding - thought it was a very low ball. smile.png

But suspect what can be obtained may be less that actual birth certificate (but should serve the purpose). Good luck - but don't be afraid to get lawyer involved it issues as that is there job and often District Office appreciates knowing everything is being done by law before putting there signature on paperwork.

• Like 1

OP i am assuming your wife is thai and lives in thailand ? if so would it not be alot easier for her to go to the local birth register office and just ask a person face to face how to do this ??

if i was living in my own country and had a wife from a different country i wouldnt dream of getting her to come on a forum to ask people not even from the country about something like this.

tell her to stop being lazy and go and ask

Edited by kingbuffalo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

OP i am assuming your wife is thai and lives in thailand ? if so would it not be alot easier for her to go to the local birth register office and just ask a person face to face how to do this ??

if i was living in my own country and had a wife from a different country i wouldnt dream of getting her to come on a forum to ask people not even from the country about something like this.

Really is quite strange. There seems to be many folk on this forum who have a wife with their arms and legs painted on.

Really is quite strange. There seems to be many folk on this forum who have a wife with their arms and legs painted on.

Only 2 moronic comments - not too bad!

Not sure if you have ever been to Thailand but on many occasions a Thai will be given a Bu11shit answer by someone in authority - not always, but often. Getting the Farang slant on what happens is usually a great help.

One of the few benefits of Thai Visa, and other community forums, is that many people are happy to share their experiences for the benefit of others. If everyone was told to just get off their ar5e and do something themselves then we could do away with Thai Visa.

Fortunately, the pointless posts from somchaismith and kingbuffalo are out-weighed by the positive contributions - and PM's - from others who have both experienced such matters and are happy pass on those experiences.

Edited by Jip99

Not sure if you have ever been to Thailand but on many occasions a Thai will be given a Bu11shit answer by someone in authority - not always, but often.

One of the few benefits of Thai Visa, and other community forums, is that many people are happy to share their experiences for the benefit of others. If everyone was told to just get off their ar5e and do something themselves then we could do away with Thai Visa.

Fortunately, the pointless posts from somchaismith and kingbuffalo are out-weighed by the positive contributions - and PM's - from others who have both experienced such matters and are happy pass on those experiences.

you say about thai's getting bull**** answers... i bet your wife has never even been to ask about it. ususally the thai's who moan they dont get any answers are the ones who are to lazy to ask the questions !

Been there done this, You will have to go back to where your lady was born, try finding two people who will vouch for here, that she lived in the village , Take them to the Amphur and get them to vouch for her. Maybe Money may have to cross hands, I did it so i know it can be done,

also reading between the lines get her ID card as well.

Edited by Thongkorn
  • Like 1

Not sure if you have ever been to Thailand but on many occasions a Thai will be given a Bu11shit answer by someone in authority - not always, but often.

you say about thai's getting bull**** answers... i bet your wife has never even been to ask about it. ususally the thai's who moan they dont get any answers are the ones who are to lazy to ask the questions !

Thanks for the guidance.

As the question only arose today I shall make sure that she prioritises this task as soon as the amphur opens again tomorrow.

All Important: Has wife also any sort of ID from Farangland, based on Thai-Passport and Thai ID card? On all documents the date of birth appears. Legally accepted throughout Europe. Even by government agencies. Birth certificate, if possible In original Thai-Language??? Very funny!

Of course, if your "pension provider" is legally anchored in the US or the Cayman-Islands for example, this would be an entirely different universe.

BTW: I find posts # 17/18 not overly derogative, more like common-sense answers, based on the facts disclosed. Right?

Cheers.