Your thought about the Visa Crack down

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't know exactly where these people work and stay. Let's say that I was a illegal working teacher. Do you belive I would tell them that when I made a visa/border run? And my real address instead of just writing down a hotel name?

Edited by larsjohnsson
  • Like 1

"If they do wrong, than arrest them".

Maybe they should look towards arresting the people who run the visa run services for aiding and abetting.

That's absurd. Until the crackdown. the visa runners weren't breaching any rules that were being actively enforced - they were lining up to get stamps that were willingly placed in their passports by Thai Immigration and contributing to the economies of a couple of border towns in the process. I'm not thrilled about the way this crackdown has been implemented either, but to paint visa runners as criminals is way OTT.

And in case you're wondering, I've had two tourist visas, no back-to-back 30-day exemptions and zero land border entries in the last 4 years. I'm now here on an extension of stay based on retirement till Sept 2015 when I fully intend to apply for a further 12 month stay. In short, I have no interest in the visa run industry and no need for their services, but I dont see that they've done anything illegal.

Obviously your sarcasm detector is not functioning.

Saying that if no laws were being broken why the need for the crackdown ?

"If they do wrong, than arrest them".

Maybe they should look towards arresting the people who run the visa run services for aiding and abetting.

That's absurd. Until the crackdown. the visa runners weren't breaching any rules that were being actively enforced - they were lining up to get stamps that were willingly placed in their passports by Thai Immigration and contributing to the economies of a couple of border towns in the process. I'm not thrilled about the way this crackdown has been implemented either, but to paint visa runners as criminals is way OTT.

And in case you're wondering, I've had two tourist visas, no back-to-back 30-day exemptions and zero land border entries in the last 4 years. I'm now here on an extension of stay based on retirement till Sept 2015 when I fully intend to apply for a further 12 month stay. In short, I have no interest in the visa run industry and no need for their services, but I dont see that they've done anything illegal.

Obviously your sarcasm detector is not functioning.

Saying that if no laws were being broken why the need for the crackdown ?

Ok - you got me but we both know that there are some here who genuinely believe the visa runners are criminals. The crackdown was supposed to target illegal workers - and I accept that some of those were/are visa runners - and deliberate recidivist overstayers. If anything, the people lining up for stamps were at least making an attempt to play Immigration's game - albeit without applying for the appropriate visa. The problems only started when someone in power sat up one morning and thought 'Aaah - maybe it's time we started enforcing a few of our own rules'.

The main targets of the crackdown were originally supposed to be Russians, Koreans and Vietnamese - not sure how many of those folk ever got in a minibus for the kamikaze run to the border but hopefully Immigration met its quota for 'undesirables' and we can get back to the days of a bored IO taking a quick glance at our passports before waving us through.

• Like 2

Catching illegal teachers should be very easy: immigration officers just need to walk in a language school on a Saturday and ask to see the work permits.

Asking "visa-runners" to show how they earn their living would be legitimate; assuming they are all criminals is not.

But crackdowns are only part of solving the problem. Paying teachers enough would ensure an adequate supply of qualified ones. And they should lift the restrictions on types of employment for foreigners married to Thais.

• Like 1

Catching illegal Russians workers is so easy that you have to not want to catch them if you don't.

Take a walk down walking street any night of the week, plenty of blond haired slappers shaking their asses yards from the so called tourist police.

Please don't tell me they are legal.

• Like 1

They know exactly that these Foreigner made all efforts to stay legally in the country.

The people doing multiple back-to-back visa runs presumably haven't made much effort, if any, to stay in the country legally.

There are many ways of being legal here: retirement extensions, marriage extensions, work permits, investment visas, even the Thailand Elite Card for anyone under 50 who who cant stand the idea of being married or working. Those who chose not to opt for one of those legal methods ended up doing back-to-back visa runs and finally by being targeted at the border, which should come as no real surprise to anyone.

• Like 2

They know exactly that these Foreigner made all efforts to stay legally in the country.

The people doing multiple back-to-back visa runs presumably haven't made much effort, if any, to stay in the country legally.

There are many ways of being legal here: retirement extensions, marriage extensions, work permits, investment visas, even the Thailand Elite Card for anyone under 50 who who cant stand the idea of being married or working. Those who chose not to opt for one of those legal methods ended up doing back-to-back visa runs and finally by being targeted at the border, which should come as no real surprise to anyone.

And it's their behaviour that led to the recent crackdown. If you take the p1ss for long enough you must expect a little retribution.

• Like 1

I suspicious how people on tourist visa for have sevetal years have enough money without working.

How many 30 year olds were clever enough and ambitious enough to earn enough money to take a two year holiday in Thailand and then quit working and relax?

There may be some but not many.

Most successful people keep working trying to earn more money.

I have no facts but from general conversation the vast majority of long term people on tourist and educational visas are earning money in Thailand.

I have heard some people over 50 are doing visa runs but can't understand why. A retirement visa is very easy for westerners to qualify. The qualifications would be poverty wages in your own country

• Like 1

They don't know exactly where these people work and stay. Let's say that I was a illegal working teacher. Do you belive I would tell them that when I made a visa/border run? And my real address instead of just writing down a hotel name?

Your wrong about that. If you have a smart phone they know where you are and I guarantee your on facial recognition and every time you go in a mall or on the BTS and walk city streets they will track you down in time with Google map cloud technology. Now you can be identified by ear and gant recognition.

All passport photos worldwide along with other federal and state ID's along with Facebook photos end up in a facial recognition program.

Even if your phone is off, new technology in new smart phones pulls energy from Wi Fi signals to give it enough power to check you out with voice and camera, along tracking you.

If you want privacy, toss the computer, smart phone, old cell phone, go off the grid and live in a cave!

• Like 1

I suspicious how people on tourist visa for have sevetal years have enough money without working.

How many 30 year olds were clever enough and ambitious enough to earn enough money to take a two year holiday in Thailand and then quit working and relax?

There may be some but not many.

Most successful people keep working trying to earn more money.

I have no facts but from general conversation the vast majority of long term people on tourist and educational visas are earning money in Thailand.

I have heard some people over 50 are doing visa runs but can't understand why. A retirement visa is very easy for westerners to qualify. The qualifications would be poverty wages in your own country

That would depend on the country.

My only annoyance is the fact Bangkok Immigration does not always follow the current written rule of law regarding visa retirement extensions when applying with the combination foreign income and Thai bank fixed savings account option. For years they set a precedent and suddenly without warning changed the rules shocking the Bangkok retirees. Other offices, as I understand still follow the old rules.

I understand we are under Marshall Law and that orders can supersede written rule of law which leads to confusion and many surprises for retirees that have lived and paid taxes here for years only to find their extension denied and they are forced to leave and start the process all over again.

Many of the Immigration offices are not consistent in their decisions regarding the above.

I have lived here for 9 years and over the years have asked 4 law firms questions regarding visas and in most cases when I was instructed regarding time limits on bank letters, early application submitting, and income verification Embassy letters, In most cases I was given inaccurate information. I always had to do the work myself to get satisfactory results for my timelines. I've even submitted recent Thai law to a lawyer who was not aware of time limit changes on Embassy income verification letters from 15 days to 6 months. They still tell customers if the letters are over 15 days they have to go back and spend a fair amount of money to get a current letter. It is all very frustrating.

Oh well, I still love the country! Compared to most countries today, my frustrations are very minor. The pluses far out way the negatives.

I often think about how many expats are forced to leave and monthly I see less and less customers in high end bars and restaurants.

I wonder what the high tourist season will be like with a worldwide economic retreat?

I feel sorry for the visa run companies who provided such great services over the years. Seems small businesses are taking a hit worldwide.

• Like 2

Crackdown on visa exempt entries was NOT targeted against western farangs, it was targeted to all those hundreds of thousands of illegal workers from nearby countries. A Thai employer commented in a newspaper that the ongoing rate used to be about 10000 Baht per year per illegal worker but now it is better to go legal and apply for work permits for them.

• Like 1

Its ok to have a foreigner owned business if you have enough thai staff

I hear rumors most language school teachers don't have work permits and do visa runs.

I think most teachers would prefer to be legal.

I think language school teaches contribute to Thailand.

If you true, then why is it difficult for them to get work permits?

Is the school lazy or not paying taxes to qualify to issue work permits.?

Transient workers?

No degree?