How wary are thais of Foreigners who can speak the language?

Smurkster

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I never claimed that they weren't pleasant and polite to me. I just don't understand why everyone here thinks Thais would be impressed or give a damn that you took a Thai langauge class. Why should it matter to them?

Is there anybody saying you did? Certainly not me. But what you did say is that they think shit of every Farang including you. Well speaking for myself I don't think they think shit of me. Many enjoy my company, treat me as part of the family etc. What they think about you is up to them. Possibly it is your attitude that makes them feel that way to you.

you are quite terrible at reading comprehension.

I can read quite well thank you. You however are quite terrible at making wide sweeping accusations of "everyone here " or "all Thais". Do you now each and every single Thai, all 60+ million of them? Do you know all members of this forum however many that is? You are entitled to an opinion but please do not make it that of everybody else.

• Like 1

Yeah, I never claimed that they weren't pleasant and polite to me. I just don't understand why everyone here thinks Thais would be impressed or give a damn that you took a Thai langauge class. Why should it matter to them?

Is there anybody saying you did? Certainly not me. But what you did say is that they think shit of every Farang including you. Well speaking for myself I don't think they think shit of me. Many enjoy my company, treat me as part of the family etc. What they think about you is up to them. Possibly it is your attitude that makes them feel that way to you.

you are quite terrible at reading comprehension.

He is not alone in that, should give him some comfort.

I can read quite fine thank you. I'm uncomfortable however with being lumped in with "all". @farang000999 seems to think he knows everyone everywhere and has the right to make wide sweeping statements such as "all Thais think Farang are shit". or "everyone here thinks Thais..." What a load of bull.

I understand food better in Thai language than English description.

I asked in Thai what was some food.

He described in English and I was confused.

I asked in Thai if food was green curry pork.

He said something in English and I was still confused.

Finally a lady spoke Thai to me.

I said thank you (in Thai)and I asked for the food I wanted.

She smiled

Everyone was happy.

I asked in Thai about

• Like 1

I have worked on a simple phrase to tell Thai people that they have done a good job... and it goes over rather well... everyone likes to be praised....

Recently, a neighbor fellow - a skilled handyman - just finished fabricating and installing a very nice looking and well constructed overhanging awning for another neighbor - done from scratch... first class work... the metal frame work was well designed - neat and orderly ... a clean job - no rough edges anywhere...

As you see I was impressed and wanted to take the opportunity to show friendship with this neighbor - always a good idea I think... I was leaving the cul-de-sac we live in on my motorbike and went by where he was working on another project ... I stopped and said "Khrup"! - he turned and I pointed to his finished awning project and said "Khun tham di dee mak" "You did a good job" or maybe it translates "You do good work" - regardless the Thais understand and appreciate it ... He smiled broadly and his wife immediately began to tell a neighbor lady (both standing there) about what I was talking about ... The wife took on a proud stance and the neighbor seemed quite interested in the little pleasant encounter...

I would do the same thing back home in Texas if the same situation occurred - and it has before...

Giving people complements is a win - win situation 99% of the time ... A simple phrase I learned and rehearsed to make it come out naturally. I have used it several times - even when a maid was doing an extra fine job (as opposed to what some of them - just get by with)... Big smile and 'Khob khun mak kha' is the usual come back from a maid...

Harmless - beneficial - humanizing and easy to do ... just get out the phrase book... or install the Talking Thai Dictionary on your Smartphone... works wonders. One doesn't have to be totally fluent in Thai to communicate.

• Like 2

It goes like this... when you speak/reply in Thai, first you see this hesitant, kinda lost look on their faces:

what just did this farang said? was that Thai he was speaking to me? and after 2-3 seconds... yes, it

was Thai he was speaking to me, now.. what did he said ? yeah, I can actually understand what he

said to me, WOW, this farang can speak Thai.... and just like that, with shock and awe look on their

faces they proceed to reply to you.... still marveling at our ability to master their language...

But they reply to you in English. So you answer back in Thai, then they come back at you a second time in English ... and so on. Back and forth. I encourage it - it's deliciously wicked when you observe other people listening in. They get a bemused look on their faces and don't know what the heck is going on. smile.png

Yes that happens quite often and I´m having trouble to understand the reason. Sometimes it might be poor Thai skills, but it also happens to people who are very good in Thai.

Guess it has something to do with the expectation that not many foreigners will learn and speak Thai. Like the brain is on autopilot when seeing a foreigner and always dictates: english, english, english.

I´ve made the same experience with english speakers that could speak german very well, I suddenly fell back talking in english for no reason facepalm.gif

• Like 1

She smiled

Everyone was happy.

I asked in Thai about

How true, I love Thai food and when the menu is in english, it´s hard to guess what dish it could be, specially when there are a lot of variations. Food is always one of the first ways to discover a language and even the culture/country. But that´s the same everywhere, it´s kinda hard or confuseing to describe a local food in another language, even more when they are worlds apart.

Why would Thai people (except for a few criminals) mind when you can speak their language? At home we´re also ranting about "the immigrants" not being able to speak our language.

Edited by I knew this would happen
  • Like 1

OP ... here you go ... itunes app to assist in English pronunciation

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/english-pronunciation-otterwave/id540959652?mt=8

Here is another one - spot on to your subject:

http://www.accentmaster.com/

Edited by JDGRUEN

It goes like this... when you speak/reply in Thai, first you see this hesitant, kinda lost look on their faces:

what just did this farang said? was that Thai he was speaking to me? and after 2-3 seconds... yes, it

was Thai he was speaking to me, now.. what did he said ? yeah, I can actually understand what he

said to me, WOW, this farang can speak Thai.... and just like that, with shock and awe look on their

faces they proceed to reply to you.... still marveling at our ability to master their language...

But they reply to you in English. So you answer back in Thai, then they come back at you a second time in English ... and so on. Back and forth. I encourage it - it's deliciously wicked when you observe other people listening in. They get a bemused look on their faces and don't know what the heck is going on. smile.png

That happened to me in Chester's Grill last night. I then told the woman in Thai that her English was very good. She wasn't impressed....Does that annoy anybody else? When they patronise you and tell you how good your Thai is even when you'be just said two basic sentences!!!

Quite often i get praise for my Thai even though I feel that I have much more to learn and my understanding is far better as my speaking ability. Ah I don't really care that i make mistakes from using the language you learn and the more you talk and listen the better it gets. At least it does for me.

• Like 2

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/english-pronunciation-otterwave/id540959652?mt=8

Do you know anyone that has used these products?

Learning to read has helped my pronounce. I often can hear "small sound differences" but when I see the spelling I start to listen for the differences.

Thai people think brush and blush sound the same. Holly and Hatley sound like same.

I have only had positive experiences speaking Thai but sure they also gossip about farang

She smiled

Everyone was happy.

I asked in Thai about

How true, I love Thai food and when the menu is in english, it´s hard to guess what dish it could be, specially when there are a lot of variations. Food is always one of the first ways to discover a language and even the culture/country. But that´s the same everywhere, it´s kinda hard or confuseing to describe a local food in another language, even more when they are worlds apart.

Not being a Thai reader but a Thai speaker I find two types of menus helpful to me.

1) Picture menus although sometimes what you get is not what you saw.

2) Written menus where the Thai name for the dish is transliterated into English characters. E.g. Tom Yum Kung.

But with my local shop its done by day. Wan Suk - Plaa Muk, Wan Sao - Phak Kapaow etc. We had great fun together on a quiet day working out a rhyming menu. She still gets a giggle out of it every time I go there.

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1

I am skeptical if www.accentmaster.com can help.

I learn my listen and trying to repeat.

Sometimes I think I know the word but it is different word with tone.

Nam (with mai to) means water

Nan (no tone mark) means take.

I hear the word khao a lot:

Si khao White,

Kao ben kon thai -he is thai

Khao hong enter room

,du khao watch the news,

Gin khao est rice,

puak khao mountain

Handsome and wait also sound like same to me(la and ra)

Ride a horse and dog shit sound same (kee maa)

But I keep trying

• Like 1

Do you know anyone that has used these products?

Learning to read has helped my pronounce. I often can hear "small sound differences" but when I see the spelling I start to listen for the differences.

Thai people think brush and blush sound the same. Holly and Hatley sound like same.

I have only had positive experiences speaking Thai but sure they also gossip about farang

I have not used these products -- I just found them accidentally when looking for other software.

Si khao White,

Khao hong enter room

,du khao watch the news,

Gin khao est rice,

puak khao mountain

But I keep trying

Difficult isn't it. Knowing the word when you're listening can mostly be worked out by the words surrounding it as in your khao example. Speaking is more difficult. I find that a sensible Thai who really wants to know what you're saying will also work it out by the surrounding words. You will of course hit those that never want to understand however good you are. Thais who I've known for a long time say I'm improving probably because I'm listening more and mimicking what I've heard without thinking too much about the tone. The same way a child learns, by copying their parents. Get out there and start listening and speaking. You'll find plenty of unwary Thais willing to have a chat about nothing to help you practice. Don't be afraid. Persevere. You'll get it in the end as you seem very keen to. Good luck.

Si khao White,

Khao hong enter room

,du khao watch the news,

Gin khao est rice,

puak khao mountain

But I keep trying

You forgot

Hua cow - Knee

Hansum & wait? Law and Raw, how can they sound the same!

Hansum and wheel, Law and Law, now they sound the same.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

This thread got VERY long very quickly, so I might have missed an explanation, but

What does "kee nook" mean in regard to farang?

Kee nok means a person of low social standing that tries to appear a lot better than he actually is

Farang kee nok is actually a Guava that looks good, but doesn't taste so great.

So when a Thai is called a Farang kee nok, it means that they are trying to give the impression that they are HiSo, when they are in fact LoSo. Putting on airs and graces.

When a foreigner is called Farang kee nok, it means that they are low class, but often the real reason is that they are not prepared to throw money around like a grinning moron as so many farangs do!

ขี้งก (khii ngok) basically means not to share (an egocentric person) - e.g. if you don't want to share your favorite action figure with your brother when you are playing. ขี้เหนียว (khii niaw) on the other hand means that you are stingy (something to do specifically with money). It has nothing to do with นก (nok - bird).

I do like the play with words as in มียว, sticky, regarding someone who is stingy.

Actually better do not learn language, you will enjoy the country and you will never get frustrated. It's much more complicated than foreigners think... It's not about understanding what they are speaking (unless you are with bar girl who tries suck as much money from you as she can)... By speaking thai and even worse read/write you are offending many thais (the exception are well educated thais who in opposite are very impressed and happy). Unfortunately I cannot share the reason on a forum (post will be deleted)

p.s. stop using L instead of R in thai words, by doing so you show that you are country side pumkin! Thais pay attention which word you use for 'eating' (there are about 5 different variation and you can understand which social level person belongs by which term he/she uses, you will be treated accordingly)

Hallo Gerty,

"p.s. stop using L instead of R in thai words, by doing so you show that you are country side pumkin! Thais pay attention which word you use for 'eating' (there are about 5 different variation and you can understand which social level person belongs by which term he/she uses, you will be treated accordingly)"

with those 2 sentences above, you have summarized what English-Teachers, Farang Managers of Thai Companies and Farang-Husbands of Thai -Wifes have not yet understood. Even after living here for 10 years or more.

More power to you.

Cheers.

Should the same then, be said for Thais speaking English?

If a Thai person does not use the "Queens English" does that mean I should treat them "accordingly"?

Most Thais I know speak (not purposely obviously) a very guttural, rude, caveman type of English with horrible, horrible pronunciation. Should I then, according to your logic, treat them like they are rude morons?

I don't think Thais appreciate you pretend not knowing Thai language and ambush them with your Thai when they say something offensive toward you. Anyway, most Thais will be impressed with your Thai. On the other hand, are you impressed with Thais who can communicate in English?

Yea, kind of like in the old days when someone would make an anti-Semitic remark and a Jewish person would be offended; the offender would then say they were "lied to" as the "Jew" didn't make it "known" they were Jewish.

Here's a novel idea; don't say offensive things in people's presence in ANY languagethumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Here are my particular thoughts on the actual Topic Thread 'theme' ... I have not noticed any appreciable 'wariness' on the part of Thais relative to me knowing a fair bit of Thai Language. Most of the time they are pleased that I am trying and try to help me. Most seem relieved that between what they can do in the way of speaking and understanding English will be assisted by me being able to speak and understand some Thai. This way the prospects of effective communication is increased.

Having said that I don't think Thais give it much thought ...

In our daily encounters we either communicate well enough or we don't. One thing I run into fairly frequently is: ... I will approach a Thai person to inquire about something, a purchase, renting a room, or asking where a certain shop is, etc., (nothing too deep)... and while I have been successful before with the chosen phrase and have practiced it and used it ... the person I am now speaking to does not seem to understand a word I am saying...

It has happened several times that a person standing next to them understands me quite well and 'gets' what I am asking about... they then tell the person what I am saying - and says it in Thai of course...

I have come to the conclusion that this type person who does not understand me - has had few encounters with a Western Native English speaker - who speaks some Thai ... While the other person has had this experience and can understand what I am saying despite my less than perfect pronunciation, use of tones and diction... I am fairly certain that this is the case because I have near mastered certain phrases (nothing spectacular) having used it before many times before with success...

The person who doesn't understand me in these instances has had not exposure to a foreigner speaking Thai and simply cannot decipher the words - probably cannot even detect that I am speaking Thai. They are simply not expected to hear Thai words coming out of my mouth and cannot process it.

However, I know when I am not speaking correctly in any number of cases ... because of feedback from other Thais I have talked with many times - who understand me most of the time..

My narrative above may be stating the obvious (I am good at that)... but I am passing it on for the benefit of other Farangs who run into similar situations --- sometimes your Thai is not all that bad - it is just that in some cases the Thai listener has had little if any exposure to a foreigner speaking Thai and is confused as to what is going on. This occurs quite a bit in resort cities where Thais in shops and on the street are used to encountering Farangs who can only speak English and often speak English with a heavy accent.

• Like 1

I have had the same experience. I probably speak with the wrong tone and another thai will translate it with the proper tone.

I have heard Thais speaking English to another farang and I can understand the Thai accent and I "translate" .for the foreigner

• Like 1

The most useful Thai phrase that my wife taught me when a Thai asks if I speak Thai is 'gnu-gnu pla-pla', which literally translates to 'snake-snake fish-fish' and for some strange reason it means 'watch out what you say, I may understand'.

It always gets a smile and sometimes an uneasy smile.

Edited by jaideeguy
  • Like 1

Showing an interest in someone or one's culture should be flattering. Let's say I was from Iceland. If a Thai learned I was from Iceland, and they said a few words in Icelandic, how could that be construed as bad? The saying is something like "copying is the best form of flattery". My Thai is 'advanced beginner' and 99% of the time we laugh together when I try to expand my vocabulary.

note: if you don't want someone to understand what you are saying, talk very, very fast and change up vocabulary with slang, metaphors, and even ramble stuff that makes no sense and they will spend a few minutes trying to decipher the rambling as you tell them whatever is so important.