A close shave

jackoholly

Hi All,

Extremely random question, but does anybody know where I can get a good 'close shave' in central Bangkok. I mean somewhere that is clean and sanitary and uses a cut-throat razor as opposed to a single blade that is changeable?

I'm looking around but can't seem to find any. The Thai locals don't have particularly full/thick beards so my guess is that they don't really exist in Asia at all.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blue Harbour

Owned by veteran architect and A49 design studio founder, Nithi Stapitanonda, Blue Harbour is a real gem when it comes to men’s grooming. Aside from the meticulous shop design which reminds us of a proper men’s salon, the real draw is barber Sawas Saard, who can claim more than 45 years’ experience in men’s cuts and shaves. This place is perfect for those wanting a classic shave with a straight razor or desperate to achieve that complete Don Draper look. The price for a shampoo and cut starts from B1,000, shave from B450.
2/F, K-Village, Suhkumvit 26, 02-661-2901-2. Open daily 10am-9pm.

FYI - I've not been so cannot confirm this place is still there, the info was from Sept 2013. You might want to phone first.

• Like 1

Wow, that's quite pricy for a twice-weekly ritual I'm trying to get myself into. The guy I usually go to in one of the more niche villages in Bangkok charges 20THB but I do question his sanitary procedures. Of course, a commercial barber's shave isn't going to be 20 baht but was hoping for something a little on the cheaper end of the scale.

Thanks for the advice though guys! Much appreciated.

I went to get a haircut at Never Say Cutz (Ari branch) and after the cut the barber tilted the chair back and started putting foarm on my face and neck. Pulls out the straight razor and gives me my first barber shave of my life. I am not sure if the shave is included everytime you get a haircut but the total price was 350 (same as what was advertised for a haircut). Would definitely go back.

• Like 1

Blue Harbour

Owned by veteran architect and A49 design studio founder, Nithi Stapitanonda, Blue Harbour is a real gem when it comes to men’s grooming. Aside from the meticulous shop design which reminds us of a proper men’s salon, the real draw is barber Sawas Saard, who can claim more than 45 years’ experience in men’s cuts and shaves. This place is perfect for those wanting a classic shave with a straight razor or desperate to achieve that complete Don Draper look. The price for a shampoo and cut starts from B1,000, shave from B450.
2/F, K-Village, Suhkumvit 26, 02-661-2901-2. Open daily 10am-9pm.

FYI - I've not been so cannot confirm this place is still there, the info was from Sept 2013. You might want to phone first.

I thought that the barbers had stopped doing shaving when the HIV scare began some years ago. BT1000 and bt450!!! I get a haircut for bt70 and it just went from bt60. You are not a reincarnation of Liberace are you?biggrin.png

• Like 2

I thought that the barbers had stopped doing shaving when the HIV scare began some years ago. BT1000 and bt450!!! I get a haircut for bt70 and it just went from bt60. You are not a reincarnation of Liberace are you?biggrin.png

I actually read up on this actually. HIV does not live outside the body for very long, so once it's exposed to air, it generally dies off within seconds. It's only needles, that actually keep enough amounts of blood inside it's shaft for drug addicts to then within seconds of the previous needle user, inject again.

I got a little worried after this 20 baht village man shave but after reading the article have no fear.

I went to get a haircut at Never Say Cutz (Ari branch) and after the cut the barber tilted the chair back and started putting foarm on my face and neck. Pulls out the straight razor and gives me my first barber shave of my life. I am not sure if the shave is included everytime you get a haircut but the total price was 350 (same as what was advertised for a haircut). Would definitely go back.

JustinCider, are you sure it was a straight-razor as opposed to a interchangeable single blade razor? They're sharper but also smoother on the skin. I can't deal with razor-burn. Guess I'm a bit of a wimp.

JustinCider, are you sure it was a straight-razor as opposed to a interchangeable single blade razor? They're sharper but also smoother on the skin. I can't deal with razor-burn. Guess I'm a bit of a wimp.

Definitely a straight razor. A bit more of a hip-hop vibe in there but the staff was nice enough and gave an awesome haircut to boot. They are opening their seventh location near Don Muang soon. Not sure if I can add links in the forums, but here is their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/Neversaycutz/info?ref=page_internal

I actually read up on this actually. HIV does not live outside the body for very long, so once it's exposed to air, it generally dies off within seconds. It's only needles, that actually keep enough amounts of blood inside it's shaft for drug addicts to then within seconds of the previous needle user, inject again.

I got a little worried after this 20 baht village man shave but after reading the article have no fear.

Have you ever seen the disposable blades for cut throat razors, they use them in this day and age. Usually they show you the new blade before they open the sealed pack, before use.

Edited by Thongkorn

The Thai locals don't have particularly full/thick beards so my guess is that they don't really exist in Asia at all.

That's right. No where in Asia do they shave. Well-spotted.

Any other racial stereotypes you'd like to run with? I know another myth about all Asian men that's especially popular here at the hub of the self-doubting-farang. Start a thread about the relative size of certain "accoutrement" and it'll quickly escalate to 6 pages of comments from macho farang who've had to travel half way around the world to see any (paid) action.

...for a twice-weekly ritual I'm trying to get myself into.

Very impressive. Twice a week.

hiroyuki_sanada_01.jpg

lost_hiroyukisanada01.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

Have you ever seen the disposable blades for cut throat razors, they use them in this day and age. Usually they show you the new blade before they open the sealed pack, before use.

Yes, but it's of course a much cheaper blade and it's not as smooth. Tends to nick me a bit more often than a cut-throat.

The Thai locals don't have particularly full/thick beards so my guess is that they don't really exist in Asia at all.

That's right. No where in Asia do they shave. Well-spotted.

Any other racial stereotypes you'd like to run with? I know another myth about all Asian men that's especially popular here at the hub of the self-doubting-farang. Start a thread about the relative size of certain "accoutrement" and it'll quickly escalate to 6 pages of comments from macho farang who've had to travel half way around the world to see any (paid) action.

...for a twice-weekly ritual I'm trying to get myself into.

Very impressive. Twice a week.

hiroyuki_sanada_01.jpg

lost_hiroyukisanada01.jpg

Thanks Suradit69 but your little addition was both uncalled for and rather immature.

Please Suradit69, no need to further reply to this.

Definitely a straight razor. A bit more of a hip-hop vibe in there but the staff was nice enough and gave an awesome haircut to boot. They are opening their seventh location near Don Muang soon. Not sure if I can add links in the forums, but here is their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/Neversaycutz/info?ref=page_internal

Got it, thanks. Will pay a little visit in a couple of days when it grows!

self deleted

To the OP. Why not just buy a razor. You can buy a Fusion, if you want a really close shave, it has five blades and runs with a small battery. That's what I use, and would fully recommend it.

Hi Klauskunkel, actually I have a Fusion, not a Fusion Power. It does give a close shave, but I didn't notice much of a difference with the vibrating function. How do you feel about that feature on yourself?

self deleted

To the OP. Why not just buy a razor. You can buy a Fusion, if you want a really close shave, it has five blades and runs with a small battery. That's what I use, and would fully recommend it.

Hi Klauskunkel, actually I have a Fusion, not a Fusion Power. It does give a close shave, but I didn't notice much of a difference with the vibrating function. How do you feel about that feature on yourself?

I think it's me, Mr Possum, you are referring to. I first bought a Fusion about six years ago in the UK, I find it brilliant and have used it ever since, and I do notice the vibrating. It is only more recently, say in the last two years that they became available in Thailand. Hope that helps.

self deleted

I think it's me, Mr Possum, you are referring to. I first bought a Fusion about six years ago in the UK, I find it brilliant and have used it ever since, and I do notice the vibrating. It is only more recently, say in the last two years that they became available in Thailand. Hope that helps.

Oh I do apologise Possum 1931. I may go and get that razor then but they are super expensive over here. Was hoping for a cheaper alternative!

Thanks for advice though! Appreciated!

• Like 1

Wow, that's quite pricy for a twice-weekly ritual I'm trying to get myself into. The guy I usually go to in one of the more niche villages in Bangkok charges 20THB but I do question his sanitary procedures. Of course, a commercial barber's shave isn't going to be 20 baht but was hoping for something a little on the cheaper end of the scale.

Can't use a safety razor yourself?

I had a guy use a cut throat on me and despite all his sharpening I retired to my hotel and gave myself a better, closer shave. But the experience was interesting and will not be repeated.

I had a guy use a cut throat on me and despite all his sharpening I retired to my hotel and gave myself a better, closer shave. But the experience was interesting and will not be repeated.

Yes but I thought a cut-throat would be closer.

Yes but I thought a cut-throat would be closer.

My initial thought also (plus the laziness of not having to do it myself) but the reality did not stack up. I would say however, that my whiskers are very tough especially around the upper lip and chin areas. The Gillette three blade razor did a better job for me.

Well ,your name is HOLLY.... Seems more of a gay bloke, not a wimp,,,Razor burn, please,,, guess you moved to Thailand ,tired of the men back home whooping your ass when you went to your local huh..Too funny..