As the world watches, PM Prayuth goes abroad

webfact

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The English grammar in this reportage is appalling.

I'd like to see you write a similar piece in perfect Thai.

Why me? Do you know how good I am at writing in Thai?

Your point is moot.

The real point is - why not just get someone who can actually write a proper article in English - ( ie someone whose native language is English) to write it?

You very rarely get international writers blogging in Thai - completely pointless.

He is banned from Australia from travel here-

He is also never going to be addressed or given any ear by "'any "" Australian Parliament representative.

The other Government members are also banned. *(From Australian soil)

Wow - and like that really matters?

Maybe Thailand should ban all the Aussie biker gang members and other crooks, then the AFP could leave as well.

Australia was such a nice country - now tries so hard to be something it's not.

• Like 2

I doubt if he will be even received by many of the ministers of the other countries attending.

He is likely to be be persona non grata?

The standard practice is either to shake hands and talk politely about the weather - or not let him in, as they used to do with the nice generals from Burma. You don't invite someone and then make him PNG. Not even Europeans would do that.

If he's there, he won't be actually shunned. Handshakes and small smiles and much discussion of his flight and the cool temperature will take place. Embraces? None. Two-handed handshakes? None. Handshake with other hand on the shoulder? Rub a lamp.

He will have little to say himself because his aides will tell him that no one will pay attention (see today's Page 1 of the English newspaper whose name starts with "Bangkok"). He will be there, in the words of at least a dozen very learned analysts seen and heard on TV and a couple of newspaper, to learn and show that Thailand is very concerned about its role and image in the world. And also blah-blah-blah and certainly yadda-yadda etc etc etc. In preparation, next time you fly, steal a few of those special plastic-lined bags.

My opinion is that the chances of his actually accomplishing anything but forced-smile front-page handshaking pictures for the swooning adulating masses of Thailand range from none, all the way to none at all. This is not, however, a minor achievement on the homefront, where the media will be forced to say that Europe welcomed him and obviously the diplomatic opposition to the coup is crumbling. And who will contradict them?

Do you think his predecessors have all been more warmly welcomed?

Let's wait and see as none of the leading countries' governments appear to be too critical at the moment. I'm sure some will be interested in the timetable for elections, freedom of speech etc. So I hope he's prepared for that.

I think you do other countries foreign services a disservice. They are all well aware of the issues connected with the previous administration which might explain why not one supported it.

I doubt if he will be even received by many of the ministers of the other countries attending.

The standard practice is either to shake hands and talk politely about the weather - or not let him in, as they used to do with the nice generals from Burma. You don't invite someone and then make him PNG. Not even Europeans would do that.

If he's there, he won't be actually shunned. Handshakes and small smiles and much discussion of his flight and the cool temperature will take place. Embraces? None. Two-handed handshakes? None. Handshake with other hand on the shoulder? Rub a lamp.

He will have little to say himself because his aides will tell him that no one will pay attention (see today's Page 1 of the English newspaper whose name starts with "Bangkok"). He will be there, in the words of at least a dozen very learned analysts seen and heard on TV and a couple of newspaper, to learn and show that Thailand is very concerned about its role and image in the world. And also blah-blah-blah and certainly yadda-yadda etc etc etc. In preparation, next time you fly, steal a few of those special plastic-lined bags.

My opinion is that the chances of his actually accomplishing anything but forced-smile front-page handshaking pictures for the swooning adulating masses of Thailand range from none, all the way to none at all. This is not, however, a minor achievement on the homefront, where the media will be forced to say that Europe welcomed him and obviously the diplomatic opposition to the coup is crumbling. And who will contradict them?

"see today's Page 1 of the English newspaper whose name starts with "Bangkok"

You must mean the Bangkok Post, yes? Did you forget the last word of it's title?

Your point is moot.

The real point is - why not just get someone who can actually write a proper article in English - ( ie someone whose native language is English) to write it?

You very rarely get international writers blogging in Thai - completely pointless.

If you're so disturbed by the OP's grammar why not complain to the news source instead of trying to de-rail the topic here?

• Like 2

he will fit right in , all high ranked military men love the kow towing it makes them feel important and helps them forget they are public servants

I don't know "all high ranked military men", and am therefore unable to comment similarly.

Generalizations, such as "all" this, or "all" that are often meaningless.

Your point is moot.

If you're so disturbed by the OP's grammar why not complain to the news source instead of trying to de-rail the topic here?

It's called freedom of speech.

You do realise that you're contributing to the "derailment" by adding your tuppence worth. I only made one tiny single sentence, but you seem to be as much disturbed by it, as I supposedly am!

Have a lovely monday! X

“It was unfortunate that he decided to skip the UN General Assembly …”

It’s no surprise that General Prayuth wants to avoid the UN General Assembly in New York, USA. The meeting would not only expose him to all nation members but also to potential thousands of Thais living or visiting in the US (not to mention activists Americans) who would not be constrained in their demonstrations by martial law. Broadcast of such demonstrations to Thailand viewers might not play well for the General. He also avoids questions of human rights violations and pursuing Thailand membership on the UN Human Rights Council as the coup’s martial law and absolute power over the government continues to suppress basic human rights.

So it is VERY FORTUNATE for Gen. Prayuth that he decided to skip the UN General Assembly. But he may find little consolation going to Milan.

• Like 2

In reading through a goodly number of posts in this thread, gives me pause for thought. I wonder what age bracket many of the posters are. Not age as in years, but more so in age as in mentality age bracket. I await someone using the phrase "and yo momma wears combat boots"

Think realistically as decorum would mandate. The PM will be welcomed warmly, even if not genuinely sincerely. He will be politely listened to when speaking, in not listened to sincerely. He probably will not be the bell of the ball as that would reflect as badly on those leaders doing so ....... as much as those who have condemned his actions to date showing outward dislike for him and his policies would reflect badly on themselves. Remember all in attendance will be politicking, knowing full well that there are constantly many cameras on and running. ...and looking proper and magnanimous is most important above all , to their citizens and voters back home.

Try and not let your personal feelings cloud your reality.

No, it is my belief that he will be treated politely and courteously as this is above all politics.

In the real world even pro junta comments are likely to have your stuff traced and put on a data bank shared by several intelligence agencies....this leader also needs to consider assassination abroad.

He isn't liked by the Americans or Aussies ...usually they get these kind of people out of the way.

Let's wait and see as none of the leading countries' governments appear to be too critical at the moment. I'm sure some will be interested in the timetable for elections, freedom of speech etc. So I hope he's prepared for that.

I think you do other countries foreign services a disservice. They are all well aware of the issues connected with the previous administration which might explain why not one supported it.

Your question is relevant but the rest of the post is quite naive. The answer to the question is "yes, on occasion". It all depended if Thailand was involved in the issues of the day. When it was, then the answer to your question is "very much so". In the past couple of years, Thailand has withdrawn from virtually everything except the Free Trade Agreement talks, which it has essentially torpedoed. So this assures that Prayut will not be invited to discuss anything beyond the weather.

But your question misses the point, which is why you segue into strange territory. His predecessors, to a man and woman jack, have all been hugely welcome (no "d" on the end) in Europe. And Prayut will only be tolerated. This whole Asean-Europe thing is fairly new, maybe a decade. But through it all until now, every Thai leader was warmly welcomed because Thailand was on a Europe-approved road of democracy, development and much, much more. Prayut won't be cold-shouldered because he has nothing to offer. He'll be shunned because in Europe and elsewhere he is seen as the jack-booted thug that Burma and Indonesia used to be. (Doesn't matter if he is or isn't; that's Europe's opinion and they're sticking to it for now.)

Your last para is really out of touch. Leading European countries do NOT support the coup or the coup-makers, and will not support them. Not for years at least. Probably never, especially if Prayut continues to silence the opposition with 3am raids and prison, not to mention a verbal stupidity up there with Mister Biden.

Europe will support Thailand for many reasons, but without a kind word or a single pat on the shoulder for any of its ministers. They do business with regimes a lot more rotten than the Thai military, that's for sure, and they will do business with the Thai military. But not with a warm smile and personal regard.

Europe most certainly "supported" the previous government in every possible way you could name - from inviting Herself to the World Economic Forum to very, very warm greetings at the Asean-Europe shindig to many, many courtings over the FTA. It is arrant nonsense to claim Europe did not support the previous government, or the one before it, or the ones before it back to 2008 - when Europe, again, did not support the military regime. Europe is and was perfectly warm and welcoming and happy with previous governments including Democrats, Pheu Thai and PPP. Europe was and isn't warm OR welcoming to military coup regimes.

{snip}{snip} No, it is my belief that he will be treated politely and courteously as this is above all politics.

I was nodding along and then....

I disagree entirely. He will be treated politely and courteously BECAUSE of politics. They can't actually backhand him or shove him aside, BECAUSE of politics. They will have to put on their baby-kissing, flesh-pressing smiles and pretend "it's a pleasure to meet you" when they think exactly the opposite. And they will.

With utmost sincerity, they will fake it, because politics says they have to.

He isn't liked by the Americans or Aussies ...usually they get these kind of people out of the way.

Always good to put a little fantasy in these threads so we don't get bogged down with facts and opinion. Thanks.

Edited by wandasloan
  • Like 2

Your question is relevant but the rest of the post is quite naive. The answer to the question is "yes, on occasion". It all depended if Thailand was involved in the issues of the day. When it was, then the answer to your question is "very much so". In the past couple of years, Thailand has withdrawn from virtually everything except the Free Trade Agreement talks, which it has essentially torpedoed. So this assures that Prayut will not be invited to discuss anything beyond the weather.

But your question misses the point, which is why you segue into strange territory. His predecessors, to a man and woman jack, have all been hugely welcome (no "d" on the end) in Europe. And Prayut will only be tolerated. This whole Asean-Europe thing is fairly new, maybe a decade. But through it all until now, every Thai leader was warmly welcomed because Thailand was on a Europe-approved road of democracy, development and much, much more. Prayut won't be cold-shouldered because he has nothing to offer. He'll be shunned because in Europe and elsewhere he is seen as the jack-booted thug that Burma and Indonesia used to be. (Doesn't matter if he is or isn't; that's Europe's opinion and they're sticking to it for now.)

Your last para is really out of touch. Leading European countries do NOT support the coup or the coup-makers, and will not support them. Not for years at least. Probably never, especially if Prayut continues to silence the opposition with 3am raids and prison, not to mention a verbal stupidity up there with Mister Biden.

Europe will support Thailand for many reasons, but without a kind word or a single pat on the shoulder for any of its ministers. They do business with regimes a lot more rotten than the Thai military, that's for sure, and they will do business with the Thai military. But not with a warm smile and personal regard.

Europe most certainly "supported" the previous government in every possible way you could name - from inviting Herself to the World Economic Forum to very, very warm greetings at the Asean-Europe shindig to many, many courtings over the FTA. It is arrant nonsense to claim Europe did not support the previous government, or the one before it, or the ones before it back to 2008 - when Europe, again, did not support the military regime. Europe is and was perfectly warm and welcoming and happy with previous governments including Democrats, Pheu Thai and PPP. Europe was and isn't warm OR welcoming to military coup regimes.

{snip}{snip} No, it is my belief that he will be treated politely and courteously as this is above all politics.

I was nodding along and then....

I disagree entirely. He will be treated politely and courteously BECAUSE of politics. They can't actually backhand him or shove him aside, BECAUSE of politics. They will have to put on their baby-kissing, flesh-pressing smiles and pretend "it's a pleasure to meet you" when they think exactly the opposite. And they will.

With utmost sincerity, they will fake it, because politics says they have to.

Always good to put a little fantasy in these threads so we don't get bogged down with facts and opinion. Thanks.

Gee that's ok ..welcome ....

Lets even add to it should we?

The Brits are frothing at the mouth ...and I will pull out my crystal ball and predict this guy ( given comments) might not be most popular guy in room .

wandasloan post # 44

Narcissus the master congratulates himself !!!

• Like 1

Does this dude speak English?

Yes, sapeek Englit can.

I assume from your sarcastic tone that you are fluent in Thai and can hold your own in any conversation in Thailand or do you speak barstool Thai.

He is taking an interpreter to make sure that he doesn't look as foolish on the international stage as his predecessor, who must have been fluent in speaking, reading and writing US English as she has a degree from a US university.

• Like 1

First we have Mark that speak perfect English, then come Yingluck with broken English. Now we have Prayuth with no English. Darwin would have described it as reverse evolution. TIT.

Can Prayuth really not speak English?

I am not even sure if Thai knows how to use fork and knife. Better bring along a spoon just in case.

Edited by chotthee

A country leader who cannot utter a word of English.

You think he can fill his own immigration form?

At least the Shins (Yingluck/Thaksin) knows broken English and have been to USA.

Have you ever heard of Chuan Leekpai? You know, the man who started these Europe meetings in Year One? The man who, with B. Clinton thought up and set up Apec? Didn't and can't speak a word of English. Never lived overseas. Completely educated in Thailand. What a loser, eh?

• Like 1

A country leader who cannot utter a word of English.

You think he can fill his own immigration form?

At least the Shins (Yingluck/Thaksin) knows broken English and have been to USA.

Have you ever heard of Chuan Leekpai? You know, the man who started these Europe meetings in Year One? The man who, with B. Clinton thought up and set up Apec? Didn't and can't speak a word of English. Never lived overseas. Completely educated in Thailand. What a loser, eh?

So much of a loser that he and the Democrats helped Thailand to recover from the 1997 crash.

However in 2001 when Thaksin became the PM he paid the last of the IMF loan from his own pocket.

If you believe that I have a bridge I can sell you.

• Like 1

Wow, you know so much about "protocol" . . . and it's amusing to note that you could also substitute the names of Yingluck, Thaksin, Abhisit, Suthep or any one else you care to mention for "him", "he", "his" etc and it still works . . . same, same, not different :)

Wow, you lot are not going to give this guy a chance are you. One minute he is the bee's knee's for trying to clean up the city and beaches, next thing he receives a whole host of comments about pathetic things such as 'can he even speak English' or Thai's using knives and forks.... do you know you actually embarrass yourselves with these words, my advice to you is...clear off, head home where you may feel more comfortable with the leadership. sad.png or alternatively climb back into your holes and get on with your sorry little lives.....

Ahhh feel better for that. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Not sure how much freedom of expression has been lowered since the General took over. With libel/slander laws

in Thailand especially in how they are applied on electronic dissemination it was never very high. Even if your

statements spoken or written are true you can and will be sued if it is perceived to damage someones reputation.

Changes to those laws are the changes that have to happen to raise levels of freedom of expression. Elections

will happen soon enough I think/hope.

Wow, you lot are not going to give this guy a chance are you. One minute he is the bee's knee's for trying to clean up the city and beaches, next thing he receives a whole host of comments about pathetic things such as 'can he even speak English' or Thai's using knives and forks.... do you know you actually embarrass yourselves with these words, my advice to you is...clear off, head home where you may feel more comfortable with the leadership. sad.png or alternatively climb back into your holes and get on with your sorry little lives.....

Ahhh feel better for that. coffee1.gif

You need to understand that it's unusual to like or love people who hold guns to your head figuratively speaking....be it a bank robber or coup leader taking over a nation .

It's largely , ( even after time) not universally approved by democratic nations.

If you feel this is harsh or unfair , well perhaps you might be in a small minority camp ?

Wow, you know so much about "protocol" . . . and it's amusing to note that you could also substitute the names of Yingluck, Thaksin, Abhisit, Suthep or any one else you care to mention for "him", "he", "his" etc and it still works . . . same, same, not different

You shouldn't have "removed all doubt", as the last part of the cliche goes. You should have just waited to see.

But since you didn't, NOTA is comparable to the General-Prime Minister-Military Chief. None.