Visiting Buri Ram (prakham)

FLL-BKK

In late August or early September, I will be visiting my wife's hometown of Prakham in the Buri Ram province. I will be staying a few days at her farm and Mother's house. Needless to say, it is very rustic out there (no running water, etc). I visited her Mother's house years ago in a day trip which only lasted a few hours and my wife (girlfriend at the time) was very accomodating to me by not having me drink the water and only having me eat select food. I know that certain immunizations would generally be recommended such as for malaria, but I was hoping for forum members' opinions. Are any immunizations really necessary? I wasn't sure if asking in the General Travel forum was appropriate, so I am asking it in the Isaan Forum to get an answer from Expats with experience in Isaan. Thanks!

I have a home in NonDindang, which is in Buri-Ram. I go home every 2 - 4 months. I don't have any extra inoculations. I keep Immodium AD around just in case. I drink bottled water, I make sure that my food is cooked. I don't have any problems there. I've been sicker when I stayed in BKK and/or Pattaya. Just wash your hands, and watch what you eat, you'll be fine. See a doctor if you're too concerned. It's rural and rustic, it's not pre-historic.

have a good time!

The more-or-less standard recommendations are for Hepatitis A and Typhoid, in addition to all the immunizations you got as a child and for which you probably need the adult boosters now. If you think you might be drinking water from a shallow well (In the rainy season? NO! Not a good idea, trust me on this!) consider cholera as well.

Pills against malaria are simply not recommended, as the malaria strains in virtually all of Thailand are resistant to the meds you might be taking to prevent it.

Japanese encephalitis is sometimes recommended but I have heard it's a nasty inoculation -OTOH, I know of a man made into a vegetable by the disease. Do some research into whether Buriram is a high risk area, maybe? Just wear a good mosquito repellent.

You can try Immodium, but for anything other than the mildest of intestinal disorders all it will do is make things worse. I'd recommend having about a week to ten days of a general-purpose antibiotic handy, and treat at the first sign of genuine illness. I mean watery diarrhea, not merely loose stools. I use ciprofloxacin for this, 500 mg morning and evening, as recommended by my doc back in the US. Take it for at least an extra three days after symptoms are gone or it will come right back.

In late August or early September, I will be visiting my wife's hometown of Prakham in the Buri Ram province. I will be staying a few days at her farm and Mother's house. Needless to say, it is very rustic out there (no running water, etc). I visited her Mother's house years ago in a day trip which only lasted a few hours and my wife (girlfriend at the time) was very accomodating to me by not having me drink the water and only having me eat select food. I know that certain immunizations would generally be recommended such as for malaria, but I was hoping for forum members' opinions. Are any immunizations really necessary? I wasn't sure if asking in the General Travel forum was appropriate, so I am asking it in the Isaan Forum to get an answer from Expats with experience in Isaan. Thanks!

Hi FLL-BKK

I go along with what SOIC says, I was in Buriram last week and although I actually live in Surin, any medical needs can be sorted by a visit to local chemists. Doctors here in Uk say have Hep A/B & typhoid plus malaria tabs but its up to you.I live a 'stones throw' from where you are going EVERY 4th month (for a month) and have had more 'tummy trouble' during european hols. Have a great time and make sure you get out and see REAL thailand eg. Elephant village/rural thai boxing :o

I appreciate everyone's responses. I may consider a malaria vaccine prior to my visit since my wife told me that we will be sleeping under nets to avoid the mosquitos at night. I mentioned malaria and she told me that as a child she had innoculations for that and many other common ailments in Thailand. I may bring immodium, but I am less concerned about that.

Hi :

Well I thought i would look at this thread as I just joined this forum today.

Regarding jabs your local surgery will advise and probably go over the top with anti and anti that, but its not a bad idea if you do not visit very often, some of your jabe last 5-10 years anyway.

I personally have lived in Thailand since April 2004 and have lived In Huarait Burriram since February 2005. I eat spicey food and Farang food and drink rain water and never had any ailments or stomach upset.

If you in the Burriram area and need some help etc give us a buzz or make contact.

macburriram

The more-or-less standard recommendations are for Hepatitis A and Typhoid, in addition to all the immunizations you got as a child and for which you probably need the adult boosters now. If you think you might be drinking water from a shallow well (In the rainy season? NO! Not a good idea, trust me on this!) consider cholera as well.

Pills against malaria are simply not recommended, as the malaria strains in virtually all of Thailand are resistant to the meds you might be taking to prevent it.

Also the vaccination for Malaria is the same as the treatment. As you know the Malaria drug can have its side effects. I'd rather get sick from the cure then from a vaccination.

Every year I visit Buriram (near Satuk). I' be sure my food is well coocked. On the other hand I do drink the water the locals use (rain water), never been sick over there. and I've been there in all seasons

I've been vaccinated for:

- Hepatitis A

- Typhoid

- DTP (diftary, Tetanus, Poliomyelitis)

Cheers, Topatia

• 2 weeks later...
I have a home in NonDindang, which is in Buri-Ram. I go home every 2 - 4 months. I don't have any extra inoculations. I keep Immodium AD around just in case. I drink bottled water, I make sure that my food is cooked. I don't have any problems there. I've been sicker when I stayed in BKK and/or Pattaya. Just wash your hands, and watch what you eat, you'll be fine. See a doctor if you're too concerned. It's rural and rustic, it's not pre-historic.

have a good time!

Hello,I go in September to Nondindang,i was there only one time bevore,in the near to the Small Dam.Do you have expirience in this Area?Where have a Bar in the near?There are dangerous snake in the Fields,somebody tell me.Please send me your expierience from this area,

thanks

Knu