Search continues for killers of two British tourists on Koh Tao

webfact

Search continues for killers of two British tourists on Koh Tao
By Digital Content

14113700443930.jpg

SURAT THANI, Sept 22 -- Police detained two friends of a drug-abusing speedboat attendant as they were suspected of being involved in the murder of two British tourists on Ko Tao last Monday.

Ko Samui police yesterday detained Lerpong Suksomboon, an attendant of a speedboat serving tourists between Ko Samui and Ko Tao.

He was nabbed while hiding in Laem Kaki cave on Koh Samui.

Last night police questioned the man but he remained under narcotic influences and denied involvement in the murder. However, police collected samples of his hair and fingernails for DNA tests at the Institute of Forensic Medicine of Police General Hospital.

This morning police detained a friend of Mr Lerpong who was also under narcotic influences and another friend identified as Jom who is a long tail boat driver. Police learned that they had been on Ko Tao on the day of the murder.

Government spokesman Yongyuth Mayalarp said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha ordered full efforts for the investigation and intensified security measures to protect tourists.

“On behalf of the government of Thailand, please have confidence in the work of all parties as police are quickly tracing culprits and making progress. Regarding concerns of British police about the investigation by Thai police, the Royal Thai Police Office will give information. I assure that authorities are working at their best,” Mr Yongyuth said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-09-22

DNA samples collected from 30 persons not matched killers'

BANGKOK: -- Pol Gen Somyos Pumpanmuang, the designated national police chief, said Monday that DNA samples collected from 30 people on Koh Tao did not match DNA extracted from semen found on a slain female British tourist.

Since the samples did not match, police would have to expand the scope DNA checking to cover more people on the island, he said.

The female British tourist was killed along with a male tourist from her country on Koh Tao early September 15.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/DNA-samples-collected-from-30-persons-not-matched--30243825.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-22

The investigation is a complete mess-up. Incredible incompetence and amateurism now make authorities cry for understanding and trust.

"“On behalf of the government of Thailand, please have confidence in the work of all parties as police are quickly tracing culprits and making progress. Regarding concerns of British police about the investigation by Thai police, the Royal Thai Police Office will give information. I assure that authorities are working at their best,” Mr Yongyuth said."

The excuse is they're working "at their best". And still the keystone cops will not allow competent foreign experts in. It's a disgrace.

Im confused, i thought the police found the guys that where on CCTV camera, they where a burmese and a Thai. These 2 guys worked at a bar near the crime scene. Who went down to the beach and returned 50 minutes later running full speed.

Thats the biggest lead and makes complete sense, okay in these bars all the staff try to hook up with the girl customers and it always makes problems. Thats a big motive. Plus most staff are on ice or yah bah at those crazy bars.

why are they changing the news back to the speedboat guy, okay its pretty normal to see someone paranoid on Yah Ice or Yah bah, happens everyday on Samui. I understand to suspect anyone but just dna test him.

I think the guy "Sean" has got a story to tell - that will prove quite interesting. I suspect he is making some "provisions" for himself and needs to involve the British Embassy for a safe passage out.

Anyone who is charged with this crime must be DNA tested and the samples should also be taken for independent testing and verification as well - to make sure no one is being fitted up !

• Like 1

I think the guy "Sean" has got a story to tell - that will prove quite interesting. I suspect he is making some "provisions" for himself and needs to involve the British Embassy for a safe passage out.

Anyone who is charged with this crime must be DNA tested and the samples should also be taken for independent testing and verification as well - to make sure no one is being fitted up !

Strange that this had gone silent. Curiouser and curiouser.....

Sean has lived there for a while now and surely is aware of who is and who is not mafia. If it's a fabulous tall tale for attention I would be perplexed. As he both works on the island and is a friend of David I think this one should stay in the to be continued pile. Unless he has already gone "missing" or "mysteriously"left to be never heard of again except by the wonderful array of marine life deep on the ocean floor.

• Like 1

Sean has lived there for a while now and surely is aware of who is and who is not mafia. If it's a fabulous tall tale for attention I would be perplexed. As he both works on the island and is a friend of David I think this one should stay in the to be continued pile. Unless he has already gone "missing" or "mysteriously"left to be never heard of again except by the wonderful array of marine life deep on the ocean floor.

At the risk of sounding paranoid. Will Sean be tested ?

My apologies if this sounds cold hearted.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Are we going to get this sensationalism news story reported every time there is a new suspect or piece of evidence?

In the defense of the BIB. They seem to be in a damned if they do, damned if they don,t predicament. No information and the hoards cry conspiricy. Too much in formation and the hoards cry "sensationalism".

And whose fault is that? If these muppets had dealt with this in a vaguely professional manner we would not be in this situation. Why keep telling the media you have suspects when you don't? You just have people you are accusing without evidence. As far as I can see the only 'evidence' so far is the DNA samples from the poor girl, and the weapon. The latest accusation is against this drugged up boatman and his friends, why don't they simply wait 24/36 hours until they have conducted DNA tests before saying we have a real suspect. The fact that every Thai cop and his dog seems to want to comment on this case is also not helping.

As far as I am concerned, after the initial mess they made of this dreadful event, the first people that should be tested are relatives of the local cops and the powerful families on the island. This debacle looks ominously like so many other cases that have conveniently never been solved by the wonderful RTP. These scumbags have their fingers in every illegal pie in Thailand so I have zero sympathy for them being at best incompetent, or worst hideously corrupt.

• Like 1

Are we going to get this sensationalism news story reported every time there is a new suspect or piece of evidence?

Why, aren't you enjoying it?

I hardly think any of us are "enjoying" any of the latest news,........it's terribly depressing to most of us, that most of the latest news stories are that the cops have no clue and these killers are out there.....

The Daily Mirror Reporter was in contact with Sean this morning. It sounds like someone has tried to silence Sean - so read in to that what you will !

My betting is that his " complex story " has already been told, but is yet to be released. They will be getting their "ducks in a row " behind the scenes and hopefully substantiating the story. I don't know anything about Sean - but what other motive could he have - other than justice ?

I think he will need to find a safe passage out of the Island if he has put a well connected name to the crime. It wouldn't be safe for him to remain there I wouldn't think.

It would have made sense for these perps to go and hide out somewhere and see how things pan out - but the International press won't let it go away - and rightly so. A few locals may be already silenced but that is unlikely to help on this one because the international press will hammer Thailand to resolve it !

The " blokes in the cave " story could well be connected - I don't see why the press would announce this story otherwise. it might be that the perps left the Island to avoid DNA testing and were waiting for the coast to clear - but it is very unlikely to do so. if the police do not follow up on stories / evidence that other investigative bodies have supplied them with, then big questions will be asked and the local police cannot duck and dive on this one !

According to his FB, he had been tested and was waiting for his result b4 he was allowed to leave.

I don't think any Brit would be insulted by your suggestion. If the only motive is justice - why would any self respecting individual object to being tested !

• Like 1

Well now this is a fine fix. They had a falang all ready to play scapegoat and then someone brought up DNA testing. Great. Now they have to actually *verify* evidence instead of just fingering the first non-Thai within 100 miles. Their first concern is putting this to rest to save face. Tough, difficult, find the killer style police work is not something (and lets be fair here this is true) this little island substation has to deal with often. This is like something you would see in Chicago. But now that its here and its front page news everywhere they can't simply spike it and arrest the first foreigner they see. The guilty parties are possibly long gone by now having had plenty of warning by the cops that they must expand their investigation to include <gasp!!!> THAIS!.

In the defense of the BIB. They seem to be in a damned if they do, damned if they don,t predicament. No information and the hoards cry conspiricy. Too much in formation and the hoards cry "sensationalism".

And whose fault is that? If these muppets had dealt with this in a vaguely professional manner we would not be in this situation. Why keep telling the media you have suspects when you don't? You just have people you are accusing without evidence. As far as I can see the only 'evidence' so far is the DNA samples from the poor girl, and the weapon. The latest accusation is against this drugged up boatman and his friends, why don't they simply wait 24/36 hours until they have conducted DNA tests before saying we have a real suspect. The fact that every Thai cop and his dog seems to want to comment on this case is also not helping.

As far as I am concerned, after the initial mess they made of this dreadful event, the first people that should be tested are relatives of the local cops and the powerful families on the island. This debacle looks ominously like so many other cases that have conveniently never been solved by the wonderful RTP. These scumbags have their fingers in every illegal pie in Thailand so I have zero sympathy for them being at best incompetent, or worst hideously corrupt.

I see.

According to his FB, he is now in hiding waiting for safe passage.

His sister has posted to say she will update with everything, once he is off the island.

She has ben advised by British embassy to stop communicating for now, through FB.

Sean is apparantly in contact with most of the news agencies over there including Daily Mirror. For sure there is a lot to come out in the coming days.

They already did that. The only reason he hasn't left Koh Tao yet was because he was waiting for results.